• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

HiiiLife

I've seen plenty of folks with hours invested in Torb do well on attack, especially on payload maps. But it's a suspect choice if they have zero time logged with him, I pretty much assume we've lost if that's the case.

I think the most common pick I interpret as throwing is when the 3rd or 4th DPS main on our team begrudgingly plays Ana because they know we need a healer but still want to shoot stuff. Ana is borderline impossible to play well on console, and she's certainly not going to cut it as a solo healer when used by some guy with 12 minutes on her.

Are the Mercy changes going live tomorrow? Might get me back into the game for a few matches.

I def give side eyes more towards people who lock Hanzo and widow only because the ratio of shitty snipers is so high compared to shitty torbs (from what I've personally seen since playing

And yes. Changes and junker are supposed to be tomorrow.

Frester

Yeah, which is why I am now playing McCree to improve my Ana game. Some day, I will be good enough with her to play in comp without being a liability.

On McCree:

I am having a lot of fun learning him. So far, I have only two really glaring issues with my game:

-Not knowing when to Ult / stopping myself from Panic Ulting. Neither of these are issues I had with Ana, Lucio, Zen or Rein.

-Finding the right angles to hit my shots. This is probably the biggest issue I have so far. Without a Rein and sometimes Orisa, I am having a real hard time determining how to approach certain fights without getting flattened.

Question to DPS players: As with Soldier and Hanzo, should I be seeking the high ground with McCree?

I've put some time into McCree recently (albeit not enough to feel confident with him in comp) and positioning is EVERYTHING. Can't get too far away from the rest of your team/healers because you'll die too easily solo. You really need to be middle of the pack.

So close to platinum and dropped below gold into silver within a month, lol. I love season 6! :)

Let's pair up, if you're on PC: FantasticToe#1405

I have a mic, happy to fill, but usually tank or heal.

blizz put me into a losing streak. got stuck losing so they were like you lose so much we are going to drop you down a tier and change your symbol.

randome

I'm down from 2700 to 2600. I feel your pain. I was on such a good win streak

It's just so demoralizing. 100 SR is nothing compared to my losing streak lol. It's also frustrating that I've dropped into gold for the second time. Everyone plays so weird. I just lost a round that we should have won, and ALL FIVE of my teammates had their ults. Fml.

There is no way an attack Torb is "throwing". And I think that's one of the big problems with the people that play this game. Whenever they see a character in their team they think shouldn't be there they assume it's a thrower and will decide to speed up the inevitable loss by choosing a character they don't usually play and actually throwing the game themselves.

I've been in many games where an attacking Torb has been on the winning side.

As a Symmetra main I see this shit all the time. "You can't choose the character you want! You have to be the one I tell you to be because I saw it on the internet." And 9 times out of 10 I change. And we lose anyway. Cause Mr. internet is a pure shite.

HiiiLife

There is no way an attack Torb is "throwing". And I think that's one of the big problems with the people that play this game. Whenever they see a character in their team they think shouldn't be there they assume it's a thrower and will decide to speed up the inevitable loss by choosing a character they don't usually play and actually throwing the game themselves.

I've been in many games where an attacking Torb has been on the winning side.

As a Symmetra main I see this shit all the time. "You can't choose the character you want! You have to be the one I tell you to be because I saw it on the internet." And 9 times out of 10 I change. And we lose anyway. Cause Mr. internet is a pure shite.

Only after they spam thank you in the chat repeatedly.

Gonna be honest. This "throwing" attitude really is reflective of the problem with this community. maybe with the game if it subtly promotes this sort of attitude. Disappointed to see it here, but I can't be surprised.

A suboptimal pick might not be suboptimal in a given player's hands. Gotta wait and see. Honestly, it reads like a lot of people projecting their own inabilities to play a given hero onto someone else. I've seen plenty of non-standard offensive or defensive picks carry. don't assume that because you can't play something that someone else can't either.

Best approach is to just let people play what the fucking want and worry about what you're doing or not doing well to close out wins instead (I'm sure there's plenty for all of us). This attitudes that, "it's this way or I'm going to pout and make you uncomfortable" is unhealthy. They are what put people in a bad mood and make people just say fuck it and give up while creating a blame shield for your own ego to protect from the reality that you're not doing as well as you think you are and they probably not as poorly. Do better, GAF. Or...keep turning tough matches into guaranteed L's by being dickheads to teammates and draining them of any interest.

randome

Is there a guide on how to gain SR per match or something? I had 3 gold medals, was pretty much the reason our team won, and gained 12 fucking SR. I do remember reading that certain things for certain heroes causes you to gain or lose more SR.

Owzers

Throwing imo is dancing or waving to people instead of playing. Picking characters and just screwing around.

Not throwing is a low bar.

Gonna be honest. This "throwing" attitude really is reflective of the problem with this community. maybe with the game if it subtly promotes this sort of attitude. Disappointed to see it here, but I can't be surprised.

A suboptimal pick might not be suboptimal in a given player's hands. Gotta wait and see. Honestly, it reads like a lot of people projecting their own inabilities to play a given hero onto someone else. I've seen plenty of non-standard offensive or defensive picks carry. don't assume that because you can't play something that someone else can't either.

Best approach is to just let people play what the fucking want and worry about what you're doing or not doing well to close out wins instead (I'm sure there's plenty for all of us). This attitudes that, "it's this way or I'm going to pout and make you uncomfortable" is unhealthy. They are what put people in a bad mood and make people just say fuck it and give up while creating a blame shield for your own ego to protect from the reality that you're not doing as well as you think you are and they probably not as poorly. Do better, GAF. Or...keep turning tough matches into guaranteed L's by being dickheads to teammates and draining them of any interest.

i mean the guy this whole debate started around basically said he chose torb because his team was trash and he wasnt going to waste time supporting them. just because he was less bad than his teammates doesnt mean he wasnt throwing

secondly, it clearly is suboptimal or else you all wouldnt be constantly posting about "elo hell.' im guessing you think its a coinkydink that all the people saying its throwing are higher ranked than the people saying it isnt

tbh the problem with the community is one of the few things that dummy kaplan said that was actually correct. them putting in gold weapon skins are causing a fuckton of people to play competitive who really have no business there

Mutombo

Throwing imo is dancing or waving to people instead of playing. Picking characters and just screwing around.

Not throwing is a low bar.

I was up against a team on Iljang Tower that had three players spawn camping us instead of going to the point. I got killed two times before switching to something else that just ran past them. We won. I call that throwing.

And as for attack Torbs; I switched to one when I saw we had an Orisa and a Bastion on Oasis. We did so well (they had a good pharah that we didn't give an inch) that they actually adopted the same strategy next match, when I had switched to Winston. The pharah wrecked our shit and the Torb was annoying af and we lost that round.

So. Anything goes, really. Oh and there was an Hanzo literally every placement match. Won them all (first time ever!)(solo'd for the first time ever too). Got placed low platinum.

Schlep

So far season 6 has been kind to me. Hope I don't jinx it. Got placed in low plat last season and worked my way up to 3025. Placed this season at 3048. After tonight I'm at 3291 and starting to regularly see master players in my games. It'd be great to get to that level by the end of the season.

leng jai

To be honest I've never played a game where people are accused of throwing every second game. I mean, what's the point of doing it in comp? Who benefits? Who has time to waste like that for no gain?

Kysen

I love having attack torbs/syms on my team, if you work with them the enemy tilts quickly and the win comes easily. An unchecked full charged sym quickly murders your squishies. 2 A few days ago I watched genji/tracer suicide into a turret over and over and it was hilarious.

did you watch the clip? that torb main absolutely is.

There's a thing called decay in the game.

He's a torb otp that reached GM in all seasons he played and stayed there (>3900).

That game rank is at ~4200 average and he's there which means his hidden mmr or whatever you want to call it is at that range.

Skii

This game absolutely promotes the "throwing" attitude by making it impossible to solo carry at your MMR. The fact that you need your entire team to do well to win means that a less than optimal team vs the optimal team and you're not doing well, its probably the non optimal picks i.e Torb on fucking attack.

If you want to play what you want, play QP or form a 6 stack and grief your friends by throwing with Torb on attack. But dont go into ranked and ruin 5 other people's experience by forcing them all to accommodate you to try get a result. And even when you lose, you'll only lose 15 SR whilst they lose 25 SR.

KyleCross

Boy, as good as having reporting finally on console is it has opened up a can of worms...

Decided I wanted to try playing some heroes I never play. Dude messages me "Reported for throwing. You don't play that hero." I then explained to him I wasn't throwing but was just bored of playing my usual picks and that his report was a false one. He then went full Xbox Live 12-year-old (this was on PS4 tho) on me with several messages and I just ended up blocking him. But it's got me scared to experiment now and just enjoy the game to the fullest.

caesar

Banned
Boy, as good as having reporting finally on console is it has opened up a can of worms...

Decided I wanted to try playing some heroes I never play. Dude messages me "Reported for throwing. You don't play that hero." I then explained to him I wasn't throwing but was just bored of playing my usual picks and that his report was a false one. He then went full Xbox Live 12-year-old (this was on PS4 tho) on me with several messages and I just ended up blocking him. But it's got me scared to experiment now and just enjoy the game to the fullest.

Tell him to stfu then report him back for griefing.

^finally wood tier cyber is exposed, never seen a player with two left hands before.

LOL why don't you link the whole VOD? I leaped off the point and pushed back their team with primal rage while they were trying to trickle in. I gave you guys a man advantage vs that two man res that would have been a good move if their team made it back and fought 6vs6.

You can clearly see me in primal rage at the start of the gif. Try again, Jellie. Why did you delete your Sombra clip where you EMP and one clip a tree?

caesar

Banned
LOL why don't you link the whole VOD? I leaped off the point and pushed back their team with primal rage while they were trying to trickle in. I gave you guys a man advantage vs that two man res that would have been a good move if their team made it back and fought 6vs6.

You can clearly see me in primal rage at the start of the gif. Try again, Jellie. Why did you delete your Sombra clip where you EMP and one clip a tree?

Wow,look at how ready this guy is to link other people's clips. When he gets it done to him the salt goes off the charts. By the way this guy doesn't even play the game so you shouldn't listen to anything he says about it. HyperLUL

LiK

Turn off messages from nonfriends. Save yourself the trouble. Reports mean nothing unless there's clear evidence you were throwing or trolling.

Jellie

Nah it was a 5 v 4. Skii died so we were down soldier, They had mercy, genji, lucio and tracer on the point. Their genji ulted and killed our lucio by the time you got back u egg.

Top Bottom