• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

_Legacy_

I honestly do think Pharah is the issue, not Pharmercy. She should not be able to fly that high, it totally hampers your damage output as DPS.

That's really it. This is why she is tough to kill.

Then, when you don't pay attention, she quickly descends and lands 2 rockets in your face.

I don't think Pharah is that much of a problem by herself. She's simple to take down if the team have awareness. She can be a pain sometimes but if you have a proficient McCree or Soldier who can aim, she becomes irrelevant real quick. Any combination of McCree/Zen/Soldier = GG Pharah. Pharamercy is the real issue here in my opinion.

MKIL65

Again, I'm going to assume you're talking about console, because on PC, If you're playing as a hitscan, a Pharah in the sky has extremely limited horizontal movement and is only marginally more difficult to hit than a target that literally isn't moving.

I'll clarify, again:

You can't deal as much damage to Pharah when she flies far up. Even if you have good aim, you can't kill her. Your damage output is hampered. She'll get healed after a while.

Then she comes back to kill you, while you're preoccupied with other targets.

Fugu

I'll clarify, again:

You can't deal as much damage to Pharah when she flies far up. Even if you have good aim, you can't kill her. Your damage output is hampered. She'll get healed after a while.

Aim better. I don't know. Pharah is a discord magnet. She's made out of glass. She's good, but her ability to absorb damage is not why.

JHall

I have a solution that would fix the Pharah/Mercy problem. Now just bare with me... If you delete Mercy from the game you no longer have to fight Pharmercy and you no longer have to deal with Mercy resurrecting from spawn or just Mercy in general.

I feel like this is the best solution to all the problems.

Blues1990

I don't know if it's because of the Mercy player in question, but I was able to clip her wings (as Zenyatta) throughout the match, making it almost impossible for that player to be reunited with her team and keep her winged Egyptian henchwoman topped up in health.

Up until this point, I hated that stupid combo ruining my matches and making me forced to deal with them most of the time. It felt very therapeutic to disable Pharah's enabler and let our Soldier deal with the enemy Pharah.

hH09WdmWAtSkU.gif

Fugu

I don't know if it's because of the Mercy player in question, but I was able to clip her wings (as Zenyatta) throughout the match, making it almost impossible for that player to be reunited with her team and keep her winged Egyptian henchwoman topped up in health.

Up until this point, I hated that stupid combo ruining my matches and making me forced to deal with them most of the time. It felt very therapeutic to disable Pharah's enabler and let our Soldier deal with the enemy Pharah.

http://i.giphy.com/hH09WdmWAtSkU.gif
You're usually better off targeting Pharah unless the Mercy's a real dink.

Geneijin

I'll clarify, again:

If the aim isn't there, it needs to be a collective team effort. Zenyatta for Discord Orb, D.VA to minimize Pharah spam with Defensive Matrix, and a McCree/Widow if necessary beyond S76. But you don't see that often enough in Platinum and below. It's all about letting S76 deal with it himself, even against a Pharmercy often than not.

antitrop

If the aim isn't there, it needs to be a collective team effort. Zenyatta for Discord Orb, D.VA to minimize Pharah spam with Defensive Matrix, and a McCree/Widow if necessary beyond S76. But you don't see that often enough in Platinum and below. It's all about letting S76 deal with it himself, even against a Pharmercy often than not.

It's really not that hard to hit Pharah with Zen's primary fire, either. He should be getting a shot or two in on top of the Discord.

Minamu

Is there a way to report bugs somewhere? I found two today I think, although I'm probably not the first.

First, as Zenyatta, if you place the healing orb on a player while waiting for the game to start, the ui icon disappears and gets replaced by a placeholder text that says "ViewModel". It stays like this across several orb uses until you activate the dmg orb.

Secondly, I THINK my audio got muddled on the new map, it sounded like I was out in the vaccuum of space even though I was indoors. It happened after dying inside, but the kill cam showed the enemy retreating into zero grav and my audio didn't return to normal when I respawned. It came back once I died again.

This was on ps4.

JWiLL

Banned
Aim better. I don't know. Pharah is a discord magnet. She's made out of glass. She's good, but her ability to absorb damage is not why.

Part of the issue, in my opinion, is that McCree's damage drop off is too extreme. It's not where the damage drop off starts that's the problem, it's that the bottom range of his drop off is just too low.

At a lot of the distances you're fighting a good Pharah (I play in mid-Master on PC), McCree only does 20 damage per body shot. That's 40 for a crit. I triple tapped a Pharah's head across Ilios Well this weekend and the Pharah survived with a good chunk of health, dipped behind a building and got healed up by Mercy. I don't think it's unreasonable to say I deserved a kill on that.

Pharah on her own is fine, but the prevelance of the Pharmercy combo lately is definitely a problem even at mid-high Master (this game was at 3900). You basically have to switch your team to D.Va-Zen and at least 1 hitscan (2 is better) if the Pharah is good enough.

I play her myself and it's not difficult too difficult on most maps to limit your exposure to hitscans while peek firing damage boosted rockets all game, or using concussions + quick drops to literally dive right on top of a soldier. You're going to win that fight 9/10 times as long as you get one direct hit.

Fugu

It's usually a good idea to go for the Mercy and try to pick her off first, as it's pointless to take out Pharah when she's getting pumped up with healing.
I've played a lot of both sides of the Pharmercy equation and I think that this is poor advice. There's a few reasons why:

- Pharah helps Mercy stay alive more than Mercy helps Pharah stay alive even with Mercy's healing.
- Mercy is much more difficult to kill than Pharah under normal circumstances; targeting Pharah has a much greater chance of getting you a kill than targeting Mercy does most of the time. This is especially true if you have discord or D.Va.
- Pharah is still pretty strong without Mercy and, supposing you do kill Mercy, has probably done a lot of damage to your team while being left uncontested. If she's any good she'll take your two healers in the time it took you to kill Mercy. Mercy, on the other hand, can't do much without Pharah. Worst case scenario she solo resses the Pharah and then you got her to burn a good ult for nothing and probably their positioning isn't great.
- You don't actually have to kill Pharah to neutralize her (you just have to get her to land), whereas you definitely need to kill Mercy to get her to stop healing.

Long story short: Be reasonable! Aim for Pharah.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Part of the issue, in my opinion, is that McCree's damage drop off is too extreme. It's not where the damage drop off starts that's the problem, it's that the bottom range of his drop off is just too low.

At a lot of the distances you're fighting a good Pharah (I play in mid-Master on PC), McCree only does 20 damage per body shot. That's 40 for a crit. I triple tapped a Pharah's head across Ilios Well this weekend and the Pharah survived with a good chunk of health, dipped behind a building and got healed up by Mercy. I don't think it's unreasonable to say I deserved a kill on that.

Pharah on her own is fine, but the prevelance of the Pharmercy combo lately is definitely a problem even at mid-high Master (this game was at 3900). You basically have to switch your team to D.Va-Zen and at least 1 hitscan (2 is better) if the Pharah is good enough.

I play her myself and it's not difficult too difficult on most maps to limit your exposure to hitscans while peek firing damage boosted rockets all game, or using concussions + quick drops to literally dive right on top of a soldier. You're going to win that fight 9/10 times as long as you get one direct hit.

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm talking about. She gets countered hard if enough of your team focuses on it, and there's not too many ways for them to counter you back if you go anti-pharah. I just really hate every single game making half the team be anti-pharah. It ruins the game's variety.

Besides, matchmaking is already random enough where you might instantly lose if you get all support players, or no support players. Why take it a step further and screw you over if you happen to get a team of no anti-pharah players.

Fugu

I'm playing in about the same range.

It wouldn't bother me too much if McCree's dropoff was decreased, but the range at which McCree does that little damage is also very far out of Pharah's effective range; she's not killing anything moving from that far away.

I find it hard to sympathize with the argument that Pharah forces a certain comp because so many heroes do and many of them that do aren't good.

Blues1990

I've played a lot of both sides of the Pharmercy equation and I think that this is poor advice. There's a few reasons why:

- Pharah helps Mercy stay alive more than Mercy helps Pharah stay alive even with Mercy's healing.
- Mercy is much more difficult to kill than Pharah under normal circumstances; targeting Pharah has a much greater chance of getting you a kill than targeting Mercy does most of the time. This is especially true if you have discord or D.Va.
- Pharah is still pretty strong without Mercy and, supposing you do kill Mercy, has probably done a lot of damage to your team while being left uncontested. If she's any good she'll take your two healers in the time it took you to kill Mercy. Mercy, on the other hand, can't do much without Pharah. Worst case scenario she solo resses the Pharah and then you got her to burn a good ult for nothing and probably their positioning isn't great.
- You don't actually have to kill Pharah to neutralize her (you just have to get her to land), whereas you definitely need to kill Mercy to get her to stop healing.

Long story short: Be reasonable! Aim for Pharah.

I see too many people try killing Pharah while the damage they do just gets rejected.

Regardless, both heroes requires a team to focus them even at high levels. (Though the problem with lower ranks is nobody is willing to work together, especially when you're flying solo and can't get anyone to cooperate). I generally place the discord orb on Pharah (so that Soldier & any additional DPS can focus on her), while I (& any additional DPS) will focus on taking care of Mercy.

If I'm playing D.Va, I'll toggle DM to eat Pharah's rockets & just do my best to harass her. At least long enough for my team to kill at least one of the two.

MCD

Except for Masters, Grandmasters, and Top 500, you keep the rank icon of the highest rank achieved (so up to Diamond), even if you drop below the minimum SR for that rank.

So you can have a Diamond icon and be in Bronze league, as long as you got up to 3000 just once that season.

Oh. Damn. Now I wish I had a shiny Diamond emblem :(

And I am enjoying D.va so much right now:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/McDragon Live/video/33207796

Best thing about her is that I no longer fear Pharah. I fly straight to her face every time she shoots. Hahaha.

_Legacy_

Have to say, it's so much more fun playing comp with an alt account and not caring much if you lose. The pressure is almost completely off and I'm winning matches with characters I barely use on my main.

Even if we get a crazy attack Torb or a Hanzo who can't shoot for shit, I can switch to dps and carry with Soldier or Pharah, good times.

LiK

Have to say, it's so much more fun playing comp with an alt account and not caring much if you lose. The pressure is almost completely off and I'm winning matches with characters I barely use on my main.

Even if we get a crazy attack Torb or a Hanzo who can't shoot for shit, I can switch to dps and carry with Soldier or Pharah, good times.

this is how Comp is better. people need to relax more and not tilt.

MCD

I dropped like 700 points and now I am trying new heroes and having a blast on com.

But honestly I can't relax nor can I blame anyone for tilting when they are close to their rank up. We are only humans and raging is part of the game.

LiK

I dropped like 700 points and now I am trying new heroes and having a blast on com.

But honestly I can't relax nor can I blame anyone for tilting when they are close to their rank up. We are only humans and raging is part of the game.

i still hate losing and seeing the SR drop. but i really think if people were a bit more casual, they would win more and take more chances.

Ertai

For me, losing is not the issue. It's how you lose that matters more. I can deal with losing close games, if people actually work together and try to cover each other and switch when needed.

What i don't like is getting steamrolled or when people put in zero effort to turn the tide. Trickling in all the time and being completely oblivious to their surroundings. When you try to guide people and suggesting swapping because you know that you will probably have a better shot at dealing with the current setup and nobody does anything.

Same thing goes for doing the steamrolling though. The game is much more fun when you're being fairly challenged. Sure, winning 3-0 on koth is great but winning a tight match 3-2 makes for greater experiences imho.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was you. Could you send it again?
Sent you another request. is there a particular time that you want to play? I'm about to go grab a bite to eat and probably be on around 8:30-9:00 PM maybe? Somewhere around there. If that is a bit late for you I'll play a bit early.

worst fucking game. why even be reaper when you let the fucking winston take free reign on support. wtf are you even doing. take point. fight off point and then die. gtfo worthless team.

Anne

I personally would be happier with a Pharah that can't sit in the skybox 24/7 being as non-interactive as possible. I don't think she's an issue balance wise at all, but I think it's pretty boring playing as that or playing against it.

On another note, IMO the game is at it's lowest point historically. Far lower than the trip tank meta days.

-Ranked system is basically imploding
-The consistent balance issues with tanks/supports have created another oppressive as hell meta on par with trip tank
-Contendors Season 0 is turning out to be a disaster
-eSports scene is falling apart at the seams due to how Blizzard is handling it

Mutant

It's because your MMR is higher. You've entered ELO heaven.

Fugu

I personally would be happier with a Pharah that can't sit in the skybox 24/7 being as non-interactive as possible. I don't think she's an issue balance wise at all, but I think it's pretty boring playing as that or playing against it.

On another note, IMO the game is at it's lowest point historically. Far lower than the trip tank meta days.

-Ranked system is basically imploding
-The consistent balance issues with tanks/supports have created another oppressive as hell meta on par with trip tank
-Contendors Season 0 is turning out to be a disaster
-eSports scene is falling apart at the seams due to how Blizzard is handling it
I love playing as Pharah. I actually hope they don't change the experience of playing as her because I find it a lot of fun.

Having said that, I'm not exactly spending time sitting in the skybox.

anyones mic stop working when you change hero mid game? i swear it always does that to me. my push to talk never wants to work.
i think one of the OW update broke it tbh.

Owzers

People I have ruined overwatch for:

Ned
Batman
Pollux

Who's next? I must go back to soloq to earn my place in Gaf society.

People I have ruined overwatch for:

Ned
Batman
Pollux

Who's next?

Nah, it's not ruined for me but I'm done for a few days - time to play more Nioh.

Really should have listened to my instincts and left after that Hanamura match. Goddamn was that draw infuriating. I don't think it affected my play until that stupid Pharmercy started rolling us.

I think the biggest problem with (console) Pharmercy is that as soon as the enemy team has it, everyone's efforts suddenly go into stopping it and they forget about the other four players. I tried to take them out but the rest of their team was always all over me so I couldn't do anything. "Get the Pharmercy! We gotta neutralize the Pharmercy!" Well there's a Winston-DVa dive fucking people up too you know!

.......yeah, definitely need to step away for a bit.

Top Bottom