• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

I play my heart out, I do the best I can. I switch to counter and use my head and everything, but I feel like I'm stuck at silver forever because I get paired with people with wild ideas about this game.

I've seen someone yelled at for damage boosting as Mercy
I've been told that "Lucio is not a healer, that's not how you play him"
People insisting on playing Junkrat when a Pharah is stomping the team

etc..

I'd give either arm at this point for teammates who know the game and don't trickle in one by one to die over and over, then blame Mercy for a bad match because of 1 rez.

exYle

2nd tl;dr post on team building. Comps and roles.

Classic 2/2/2:
Main tank: Rein
Off tank: Zarya
Fragger: Genji
Carry: Soldier
main healer: Ana
off support: Lucio

Classic Dive:
Main tank: Winston
Off tank: Zarya
Carry: Tracer
Main healer: Zen

Trip tank:
off tank: Zarya or D.Va
Carry: Roadhog
Carry: Soldier
Main healer: Ana

Numbani defense comp
off tank: Winston
off tank: D.Va
carry: Roadhog
carry: Soldier
main healer: Ana

Koth Pharah comp:
Main tank: Winston
Carry: Tracer
Fragger/Carry: Pharah
Main support: Mercy
off support: Lucio or Zen

Just some ideas of how to start building teams. Check my post above about roles. There's a whole nother story in there about building in win conditions from ult synergy.

Appreciate the help, Anne. But a big problem of ours is that we stick to the rigidity of classic comps and can't adapt to stranger ones

Anne

Short tl;dr on ults in team building. Basically you need to structure your ults in a way so that you can win fights using only 1-2 uts a fight and so you don't waste combinations. I'll use classic 2/2/2 as an example.

Rein: Teamwide CC ult, strong engage. Can use this single ult to win a fight, or combo it with a single ults.

Zarya: Really similar to Earthshatter. If you use both grav and earthshatter in the same fight you probably really fucked up since you basically just did the same ult twice.

Genji: Sword is a good engage if you have nano. That's 3 ults to engage with. Sword can combo off grav and earthshatter well too, but it might be overkill. It's probably better to hold it just nanoblade, but can be used in a combo if you have to.

Soldier: Visor is a shitty engage, but good clean up and good post shatter. Also a decent nano target. This is the one that will be used to clean up fights if grav or shatter didn't already. If you visor into a grav you're an ape.

Ana: Nano sword or visor generally. Nanosword is hte best combo here sinc eit gives you a 3rd engage option.

Lucio: An emergency button tht can be held since you probably don't need the engage on it since you have so many better options.

Example 2: Dive and ults. Dive comp relies much less on ults to get wins, and since their ults are much more llimited you have to think about them a bit differently.

Winston: Good ult to use early in a fight or as an emergency button. Is kind of low impact though, so it's not going to be something you rely on heavily to win fights.

Zarya: One of two engage ults in here. Extremely important because it is the only AoE CC in the team. Combo with pulse bomb, not with sword unless you really need it.

Genji: The only other engage ult on the team. Nanosword is crazy and should be used in fights where Grav + Pulse isn't available.

Tracer: Random pick ult sometimes, other times extremely important to combo with Grav.

Basically, you alternate fights between using nanosword and using grav+bomb. If you're forced to use grav + sword in one fight, the next fight will be way weaker for your team because you just won't have an ult you can throw out into the enemy team early to start the fight. Nano can be thrown on not sword, but again since nanosword is important to winning fights considerations have to be made.

Appreciate the help, Anne. But a big problem of ours is that we stick to the rigidity of classic comps and can't adapt to stranger ones

We did well tonight with me switching off Mercy when it called for it.

Played Zen since I already know him. Working on Ana.

Anne

I'm just doing this for anybody that wants to know rq because my guide won't be finished for a bit. If y'all have trouble not understanding how to play comps, think about the roles and the ult rules I just posted. If you lack say like a main tank or your DPS are all out of whack with what your other heroes can do, your comp might suck and you need to look at rebuilding it. If you are using ults inefficiently, look at the ult stuff I just posted. Etc.

Playing a comp correctly means you know who is playing what role at any given moment, knowing how to set up the best case scenario ult eco, and knowing how to adjust it with hero switches on the fly. If you just slam pick 2/2/2 without knowing all that stuff you're just playing meta without really understanding why. That gets you a good team, but if you're only using like half the potential of that team you will just lose.

I'm willing to bet if you're having trouble with unorthodox comps you might not understand why the meta comp works and what is really happening in it.

Yukinari

4 loot boxes today and still not a single Uprising costume. On the plus side, I'm getting great with Mercy. :)

I have torb, mercy and mccree skins so far.

Did the patch to the Uprising mode glitch affect the way bots spawn? Everytime i tried Uprising the 1st tank bastion kept spawning behind us and bots continued to spawn when the cart got to the door.

Anne

Gonna quote you again, but what is a strange comp you have trouble playing against or running yourselves?

exYle

I'm just doing this for anybody that wants to know rq because my guide won't be finished for a bit. If y'all have trouble not understanding how to play comps, think about the roles and the ult rules I just posted. If you lack say like a main tank or your DPS are all out of whack with what your other heroes can do, your comp might suck and you need to look at rebuilding it. If you are using ults inefficiently, look at the ult stuff I just posted. Etc.

Playing a comp correctly means you know who is playing what role at any given moment, knowing how to set up the best case scenario ult eco, and knowing how to adjust it with hero switches on the fly. If you just slam pick 2/2/2 without knowing all that stuff you're just playing meta without really understanding why. That gets you a good team, but if you're only using like half the potential of that team you will just lose.

I'm willing to bet if you're having trouble with unorthodox comps you might not understand why the meta comp works and what is really happening in it.

We chill in plat for a reason

Gonna quote you again, but what is a strange comp you have trouble playing against or running yourselves?

Teams built around a Sombra/around a Bastion were surprisingly hard to deal with. Teams with Rein and Winston were occasionally troublesome. We spend a lot of time struggling against Pharmercies (but that's not that weird). I think we were getting wrecked by a team with a Junk? Though that may have been solo queue

Teams built around a Sombra/around a Bastion were surprisingly hard to deal with. Teams with Rein and Winston were occasionally troublesome. We spend a lot of time struggling against Pharmercies (but that's not that weird). I think we were getting wrecked by a team with a Junk? Though that may have been solo queue

Yeah typically its been by Bastions with plenty of barriers and healers. A couple of DPS as well with the group.

We've also been rolled by groups with single healers and three DPS... Even tho I have said we should try the same sometimes.

Tho I think I have the strat after tonight because I was Zen and we wiped that stupid Bastion team.

I have see a bothersome increase in junkrat players, and most are pretty decent to straight up carrying a team on their shoulders, he is so annoying to deal with.

Anne

On Sombra: If you look at my thing on roles notice Sombra is in an off role taking up a slot, and you can abuse that pretty hard for a couple of reasons. Main thing is that if she's in a DPS or heal slot, that means one of those things a team is probably missing. The second part is that any team with Sombra is basically going to require EMP to get big team wipes. A more mobile team built around Winston is p good against her. Ana/Lucio/Winston/Genji/etc are strong options since you can abuse the fact Winston requires a lot of damage to deal with and you'll be spread out enough to make EMP less of an issue. It really comes down to out pressuring the Sombra team or having McCree around to punish her. Sombra is kinda more ass than usual lately because she just sucks butt against dive lol

Bastion is a bit different and map specific, but having strong engages helps a lot. Having a good ranged carry + D.Va is good too. You basically send D.Va off to fuck with Bastion along with a carry putting damage into him while your main tank plops down o the objective. If a team is doing some gold tier Rein/Mercy /Bastion all cramped together nonsens, D.Va/Winston/Genji will cover your bases in general for a dive comp and you can just jump on them hard body. Have a Soldier or some shit back you up because helix is great against him.

Rein/Winston are both main tanks. If you're struggling against them, your carry DPS is probably not doing their job correctly. They should spend a lot of time chunking down shields or dissuading Winston from jumping at you. Solder holding Helix for Winston jump or shield going down is good, Hog holding hook for the same scenarios is good. Against Rein specifically seriously have a DPS who exists more or less to break shield and punish bad shield positioning. Against Winston have good enough reasons for him to not jump on you loaded up in CDs on your carry DPS. Helix, heal station, hook, flashbang, etc. If you're running dive into dive then it comes down to spacing and counterengaging better than the other team.

Regarding Trip DPS solo heal, you need to abuse the fact you have more healing. Like seriously have the off tank get up in their face and literally let Ana pocket them. While they sit there and deal with that you can just have both DPS frag out with Lucio backing them or some shit because the enemy team doesn't have a sustainable frontline. Main tank/Zarya/DPS/Ana/Lucio is good against that. You get better ult eco and you can just push since they'll lack a healing role and thus they will lack a frontline. Trip DPS with monkey+2 healers is real as hell though and you'll need to bust out a meta comp with like Roadhog on it to help deal.

LiK

We chill in plat for a reason

We had 9-2 in Comp today, I think. 2 more wins after Pooh and Owzers left with a 4-stack. I can be back in Diamond within 2 wins I think. People not experimenting with their weaker heroes has been good for the group.

Although I agree that Pharmercy is still a legit threat. I cannot take her out on my own when she's boosted.

We had 9-2 in Comp today, I think. I can be back in Diamond within 2 wins I think. People not experimenting with their weaker heroes has been good for the group. Although Pharmercy is still a legit threat. I cannot take her out on my own when she's boosted.

Yeah we need to work on our Zen/Soldier like our Mercy/Soldier. Need to discord the Mercy and call her out to you.

LiK

Yeah we need to work on our Zen/Soldier like our Mercy/Soldier. Need to discord the Mercy and call her out to you.

Yea, Discord either one if you spot them. I will aim for them. Some Mercys are so slippery in that combo that I'd rather just focus on Pharah if she's distracted.

Yea, Discord either one if you spot them. I will aim for them. Some Mercys are so slippery in that combo that I'd rather just focus on Pharah if she's distracted.

Ultimate goal is to add Ana to our roster... It's why I switched to her in our losing comp match on Kings Row to get some comp practice in with her. Gonna watch some vids on her tomorrow and dive into some quickplay early evening some more.

Our QP games were sadly garbage so I didn't really get to experience her too much.

LiK

Ultimate goal is to add Ana to our roster... It's why I switched to her in our losing comp match on Kings Row to get some comp practice in with her. Gonna watch some vids on her tomorrow and dive into some quickplay early evening some more.

Our QP games were sadly garbage so I didn't really get to experience her too much.

Yea, QP is just aiming practice for me. I was doing really well as McCree. Finally got my own preference down on how to play him.

GGs guys. sorry for Owzers and buttchin, we've been playing for awhile and we knew we were due for a loss :( I think mentally we checked out that last attack point.

Ton of fun today. Think we went 10-3 overall.

I don't think it was a coincidence either, the comps all had a purpose, and were adapted well. I think we'll continue climbing if we keep playing smart like that.

Me and ND are a pretty dang good Lucio Zen combo. If I can't have Lucio then Zen is a good consolation prize.

Console is such a mess right now, every match is dominated by people who bought a mouse adaptor.

What am I looking for here? I get killed a lot as Zen, but when I see the replay it was a Widow or Hanzo aiming through a very narrow window and hitting the shot. How do I tell whether that is a mouse-assist or just good play?

Owzers

Ton of fun today. Think we went 10-3 overall.

I don't think it was a coincidence either, the comps all had a purpose, and were adapted well. I think we'll continue climbing if we keep playing smart like that.

Me and ND are a pretty dang good Lucio Zen combo. If I can't have Lucio then Zen is a good consolation prize.
For the longest time I thought the problem was too many Mercy mains crowding me out of my favorite character, I did not see the true threat emerging.

Everyone forgets I was Zen for the first half of the night...
e5YuU.gif

That was a lot of winning today, feels good. GGs to everyone, really wanted to have won that last one with buttchin but I think we were really tired by that point, we said we were gonna quit like 2 or 3 games before that lol

Also thx to Anne for the posts, very useful stuff.

ND was Pharah for a little too long I think. Also Ulted to save an area and probably should have saved it... Not insulting ND here or anything just making observations to help.

There was a couple of times I ulted as Zen at the wrong time.

Shouldn't have played her on defense in that map. I did a shit ton of damage but finishing off targets can be hard unless I go deep (which I don't do on defense). Usually the only dps I play on defense are either soldier or genji. Hog too and that would've probably be the best pick in that situation. Can't remember my ults on defense so I can't comment on that.

The Lucio/Zen combo worked wonders today.

It's a good thing that batman likes to play Lucio too because sooner or later I know that I'm gonna get bored. We have to win as much as we can now so we can mitigate what's going to happen when that time comes.

xD

Lol. I think if I ever streamed gameplay or something it would be like pulling away a veil, you guys would wonder why you've hyped my Tracer up so much. You see the kill feed and POTG's, and assume it's amazing.

My Tracer is excellent at losing a game and getting 65% kill participation, and 4 golds. Still a loss. If I win with her I rarely lead the team in more than one or two things. I fulfill my role with her, and do it well. It's not some hard carry hero.

The fact that we have so few DPS players also makes just a good Tracer look way better than it actually is.

LiK

I can play Lucio and Zen as well but I stick with DPS since it's been working out for our group in Comp. I don't get bored of playing one role because I just play everyone else in QP and Arcade when no groups are formed. It's a nice balance.

Also Vault, I don't believe you. You're a great Tracer and I know this because of our duo queue back in the day, Your Tracer carried some games before. Don't you dare disparage your a Tracer skills!

Also Vault, I don't believe you. You're a great Tracer and I know this because of our duo queue back in the day,
It's good, sometimes great. At our rank a good, sometimes great DPS can look awesome in comps.

Dva on Numbani was my best game of the day, then a bunch of Zen games. The Tracer switch on Volskaya was really good. The beginning games my Tracer was definitely nothing special and I got absolutely wrecked by that Soldier on Illios and would have lost us the game if I hadn't went with Hog even though all of you guys were doing really well.

I'm not trying to say I'm bad at Tracer, but it seems that everyone thinks that when I'm not playing her then it would be better for the team if I was. Which I really don't think is always true.

Had an Uprising match with 3 randoms and had a Reinhardt that must have done like 7 or 8 ultimates in the match.

None of them hit a single target.

Cappa

Banned
It's good, sometimes great. At our rank a good, sometimes great DPS can look awesome in comps.

Dva on Numbani was my best game of the day, then a bunch of Zen games. The Tracer switch on Volskaya was really good. The beginning games my Tracer was definitely nothing special and I got absolutely wrecked by that Soldier on Illios and would have lost us the game if I hadn't went with Hog even though all of you guys were doing really well.

I'm not trying to say I'm bad at Tracer, but it seems that everyone thinks that when I'm not playing her then it would be better for the team if I was. Which I really don't think is always true.
I've always preferred your zenyatta

KuroNeeko

Reading these comments about you guys in high-level comps is kind of depressing.

None of the characters I like to play are ever included. lol

LiK

It's just good to have another DPS to rely on. Our group does better more often with a second DPS, imo.

Banzai

Finally back in Plat!

I'm telling you Blizzard was trying to keep me in Gold.

I got to 2480 and was on a 4 game winning streak. Won the next one, only got 10 SR. Lost the one after that, lost 30 SR.

Got back to 2479. Then 2497 (sigh), then I had a leaver and went back to 2465 (!!).

Back to 2480. Then 2497 (again!!). The game after we simply got destroyed and I dropped to 2476.

Dropped to 2421. Back with all wins to 2497 (...). Finally won and got 16 points to land on 2513.

I specifically noted my SR gains after every match. Looked at team SR averages, they were pretty much even every game.
Seriously, you can't tell me they didn't adjust my point gains whenever I got close to 2500.

LordofPwn

I'm back to being slightly above where I was placed. Regardless of where you think my skill should be, getting placed ~300SR lower than where you ended the previous season is pure BS, especially when there's a rank difference.

Speaking of SR: it's way more complicated than it needs to be. Everyone on a team should get the same gains and losses relative to skill difference. Win a match that you are heavily favored to win? Small gain. Lose a match where you're the underdog? Very small loss. Tie a match that you're supposed to lose? Small gain. I'd also be fine with whatever system Rocket League has been using. Has division protectors, so that you basically have to lose twice in a row before dropping from diamond to platinum if you're on the edge. Think it works in the other direction too. Haven't had any issues with those placements but rocket league is a lot more simple to parse.

Anyways just some thoughts on the matter. Still want more PVE stuff, still have only got 1 legendary event skin. Will probably buy some boxes before the event ends. I got the D.Va highlight just want Genji, McCree, widow, and Orisa skins.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What's the benefit to doing this event on the harder difficulties? Do you get more XP and is it worth it? Or is it simply if you want it to be harder?

caesar

Banned
I play my heart out, I do the best I can. I switch to counter and use my head and everything, but I feel like I'm stuck at silver forever because I get paired with people with wild ideas about this game.

I've seen someone yelled at for damage boosting as Mercy
I've been told that "Lucio is not a healer, that's not how you play him"
People insisting on playing Junkrat when a Pharah is stomping the team

etc..

I'd give either arm at this point for teammates who know the game and don't trickle in one by one to die over and over, then blame Mercy for a bad match because of 1 rez.

Hmm, come in the discord and play in house if you want some team mates.

MG310

249-249-36

8-9 today. Night games went pretty badly with a few frustrating Ilios and Oasis matches where teams just would not go to the point or change the route they took the point so they could avoid getting ambushed.

Hmm, come in the discord and play in house if you want some team mates.

Hijacking this to ask: how those of you on PS4 use Discord? Do you have like a separate pc running for that? Do you have team comms on headphones and other sound from a different source? I'm a bit confused as I only have my PS4 hooked up where I am playing.

Edit. Oh, Android app. Feeling dumb / old

Top Bottom