• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Aside from getting the match over with, could you explain why the defending team in this case should be handed a disadvantage?
They're not handed a disadvantage, they're setting a bar with a poor performance that is easily beaten. The disadvantage is their own doing.

As an aside, SF5 mod tech on point:

p9b6qesgg8my.gif

Not really, with the knowledge of how capping progress is handled you can just make your initial effort about getting as much right out of the gate as well. And if they're equally anything, it'd be a coin flip regardless unless you're proposing fuzzy progress draws being beneficial over granular progress. That's just an extreme example of how it would look, if you can only get 1% then just take the lump, but I'd rather have the 37% be rewarded over the 36% as opposed to needing to hit 66% versus 33%.

Skii

Do they? If the previous team's offense was so bad that any progress on the point won the game then I don't see the problem. :x

What? That is such a ridiculous opinion.

In competitive, teams are supposed to be evenly matched and even though stomps occur, it's almost always down to the small decisions like miscommunicating an ult that allows the stomp to happen. How is it fair for the defending team to then be forced to play on the point for the entire round giving them a severe disadvantage against the attacking team anyway.

It's absolutely terrible to have the game revolve around flankers backcapping the point. That shouldn't be a strategy which no one has a counter against other than completely throwing the round by fighting on point.

How is it fair for the defending team to then be forced to play on the point for the entire round giving them a severe disadvantage against the attacking team anyway.
The same way it's fair that one team can have a minute banked in time and the other 4.

That's not really the same thing, is it?
A team gaining an advantage in the subsequent rounds due to how they played over the other? The major difference is the rounding up to a minute if you go under, but I can't think of a good way that would translate over to cap progress well. It's cherry picking the poorest scenario and kneejerking over that. I'm okay with shaking it up in a way that eliminates draws, regardless of what it ends up promoting it's not like CP was in a good or fun state anyhow. Going on notches would still be a vast improvement as well, but my own preference is towards the granular approach.

That's not the same thing at all...
ok

Umm, ticks?
You misunderstand (or perhaps I do). Time bank only rounds up under a minute, otherwise it takes the exact times. I was fixated on the rounding and was trying to think of how it could round up similarly, but I think the best of both worlds could be not having the granular progress count towards it until the first tick is captured.

Skii

You misunderstand (or perhaps I do). Time bank only rounds up under a minute, otherwise it takes the exact times. I was fixated on the rounding and was trying to think of how it could round up similarly, but I think the best of both worlds could be not having the granular progress count towards it until the first tick is captured.

So you do see a problem with it then? Lmao

Jellie

A team gaining an advantage in the subsequent rounds due to how they played over the other? The major difference is the rounding up to a minute if you go under, but I can't think of a good way that would translate over to cap progress well. It's cherry picking the poorest scenario and kneejerking over that. I'm okay with shaking it up in a way that eliminates draws, regardless of what it ends up promoting it's not like CP was in a good or fun state anyhow. Going on notches would still be a vast improvement as well, but my own preference is towards the granular approach.

ok
That takes into account how both team perform on attack and defence. This just looks at first teams defence.

So you do see a problem with it then? Lmao
No, I'm fine with it as is, but I don't think looking at entirely ticks is the ideal either. Just a middle ground proposal. No offense Skii but with the way you handle discussions I'm gonna have to settle on having you ignored from here on out because I don't care for the needlessly dismissive attitude while I just want to talk.

That takes into account how both team perform on attack and defence. This just looks at first teams defence.
Regardless of how it's done, ticks, full points, payload progress, this is always the case. You mentioned the leeway that payloads get and this is true, so I think having the granular progress kick in after the first tick could be similar there.

finalflame

Wait, what? How did this happen?
Why didn't the time just count when someone was in the zone?

New scoring system/win condition for Assault maps. The team that was defending in that around was so grossly incompetent that they never managed to touch the point AT ALL for 4 minutes on attack, so any amount of progress on the ticker towards the point won the round for (then attacking) team.

Ticks should be the way to move forward, and they shouldn't take into account the timing at all , time should only be considered when fully capturing the point. This is a dumb move blizzard.

You are scrubtactician on PSN right?

Sorry about that nanoboost on Ilios, made some changes on Ana controls and instead of activating the scope to heal komaru that was up in the air I ended up boosting you lol

Your reaction was hilarious, like "wtf am I supposed to do here???" xD

Lol I figured it was something like that, there I was defense matrixing things from afar. And then I get nano'd, I didn't know if I was supposed to go in or not!

Nimby

Banned
If they have to touch it for literally a second, you should be defending on the point. I'd rather it be the ticks though, maybe they can add more ticks?

GoaThief

Damnit. Poor SR matchmaking and the win/loss pattern from last night has taken me out of the top 25... guessing mostly because I just dipped out of Master.

Gutted.

Any PS4 EU high diamond/low master gaffers that group up in the evenings and would be interested in +1? No problem with US or wherever but main posters in here seem to be on in the early hours in my time zone?

Ramirez

Damnit. Poor SR matchmaking and the win/loss pattern from last night has taken me out of the top 25... guessing mostly because I just dipped out of Master.

Gutted.

Any PS4 EU high diamond/low master gaffers that group up in the evenings and would be interested in +1? No problem with US or wherever but main posters in here seem to be on in the early hours in my time zone?

You were in the top 25 barely being a Master?

I finally clawed my way back up to 3200 last night from 2700. The teams are so bad, the game sense isn't there, it's been a miserable season. I'm seeing people set up at the initial spawn points trying to play defense, I haven't seen that type of stuff since the first month or so.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do they? If the previous team's offense was so bad that any progress on the point won the game then I don't see the problem. :x

They have the three progress bars.

I don't understand why they don't go by that. Just seems logical.

You get one third, they don't. You win.

Both teams get 2/3 completed draw, one gets 1/3 the other gets 2/3, they win.

ZangBa

I don't see the problem with this system. If your team sucked so bad they couldn't even touch the point once, then you deserve to lose like that. Saves time to me.

finalflame

I don't see the problem with this system. If your team sucked so bad they couldn't even touch the point once, then you deserve to lose like that. Saves time to me.

This is where I'm at. If your team is so bad they can't ever get on the point, well, you deserve to lose.

This could also be intended to change the play style a bit on point A of assault maps, and motivate teams to actually fucking go in and fight instead of idling at the choke the entire match.

Skii

Does Winston have a place in comp?

Always a great pick for KOTH and I've had success playing in dive comps on payload maps this season. So definitely has a place but he just needs a little bit of coordination from his team to truly shine.

ZangBa

This is where I'm at. If your team is so bad they can't ever get on the point, well, you deserve to lose.

This could also be intended to change the play style a bit on point A of assault maps, and motivate teams to actually fucking go in and fight instead of idling at the choke the entire match.

I agree. It's annoying how many people tend to camp at the choke on attack and just sit there doing nothing, even if they get a kill. Anything that encourages people to actually team fight is a good change to me.

DevilDog

The thing that annoyes me with the currect system for capping points, is that if you can lose it instantly, it forces the team to defend it in a completely different way, that will be probably detrimental to their defence.

I would like for both teams to have the chance to defend properly.

Forcing your team to sit on the point might mean that you will have to give up many defensive advantages, and overwatch maps aren't balanced around that anyways.

finalflame

The thing that annoyes me with the currect system for capping points, is that if you can lose it instantly, it forces the team to defend it in a completely different way, that will be probably detrimental to their defence.

I would like for both teams to have the chance to defend properly.

Forcing your team to sit on the point might mean that you will have to give up many defensive advantages, and overwatch maps aren't balanced around that anyways.

Should've thought about that when your team stalled at the choke for the entirety of attack and never managed to get on the point at all.

nice positioning. they couldnt do much to you up top lol
if its me i would have jumped down. i need to refrain from the urge to CQC (my poor decision making) lol

I play a lot of CQC characters, I have a really bad habit of wanting to kill up close as well. I also need to work on my yolo ults @_@

Edit: I'm getting on for a few games if anyone's playing on psn.

Top Bottom