• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know what you expect, people need to practice heroes somewhere. If this was in competitive I would agree, but it's not.

45 hours on WM in Quick Play says to me that they dont need to keep practicing

imagine if you wanted to practice your DPS hero but everyone else in your team ALSO wanted to practice their DPS hero? Practicing in a comp with no healers or barriers isnt going to help you practice how to actually play your hero/habits to learn.

LiK

I don't know what you expect, people need to practice heroes somewhere. If this was in competitive I would agree, but it's not.

The problem with QP is that people who play it are either practicing or playing it seriously cuz they don't play Comp. I think some players find Comp too intense for them to care. We're in the minority of players in the player pool. Arcade is there but the rules are different and not as straight forward as QP.

Paltheos

Lol, Orisa in Total Mayhem. Be able to fortify frequently!

Allot of the heroes are dumb strong. Until recently I'd have said Zarya's the strongest because the barriers have lol CD and staying at 100 energy can almost be taken for granted, but Winston might be the strongest now, considering he provides a buffed spherical barrier on just as lul cooldown, and he's not as easy a target to Sombra as Zarya is.

45 hours on WM in Quick Play says to me that they dont need to keep practicing

imagine if you wanted to practice your DPS hero but everyone else in your team ALSO wanted to practice their DPS hero? Practicing in a comp with no healers or barriers isnt going to help you practice how to actually play your hero/habits to learn.

I don't really have anything to say about the first part, people just like to screw around in quick play I guess.

For the second part I agree with you but it's called quick play for a reason, people aren't going to take it seriously. This is why I almost exclusively play competitive.

Anbec7

I love the new Lucio skin but the song it's a little bit loud even moving "Sounds" options or is it just me? I wonder if blizzard could just tone it a little bit down

I don't get the people that say competitive is too stressful for them. It's a video game with no real stakes matching you up with people of the same skill level as you, it's only as stressful as you make it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't really have anything to say about the first part, people just like to screw around in quick play I guess.

For the second part I agree with you but it's called quick play for a reason, people aren't going to take it seriously. This is why I almost exclusively play competitive.

My thing is I dont care if you pick 'off meta heroes' or if you are trying to imrpove with a hero but try to actually play a little selflessly. Every QP game involves 4 people instalocking dps in the first 2 seconds of the hero select screen forcing the people who dont instalock a DPS(who are usually people who want to play OW because of the team aspect of the game not because they want to get hot Genji montages) and it forces those people into the same pool theyre always forced into because they come to OW for the team based gameplay but dont want the commitment of competitive.

then everyone acts shocked when the one healer gets focused down and their team has no longevity because theres no tank or healer once one goes down. Sometimes I'll play Hanzo but then when I do that we'll wind up with only one healer like Zenyatta or we'll end up with one tank... and its Roadhog.

Cappa

Banned
I don't get the people that say competitive is too stressful for them. It's a video game with no real stakes matching you up with people of the same skill level as you, it's only as stressful as you make it.
If you are a competitive person by nature it can certainly be stressful if all you're doing is losing.

If you just have a laid back attitude about competitive just play quick play.

LiK

I was in your six stack yesterday.

Still awful. :/

What's the difference? Can't blame any randoms for the loss. Can only blame people in our stack who didn't play their mains. I switched to Soldier cuz I was taking it more seriously against a full stack but a few guys didn't. They were still "practicing".

But I've been playing with some Gaffers in stacks and when everyone was playing it seriously to win, it was fun as hell. Anyway, these QP games have made me way better with some heroes so I'll be taking them into Comp. BE PREPARED MAH TRACER BRUV

It's the SR number. Always blame the SR numbers.

Wanderer5

I like quick play tbh. Comp is too stressful 🤷🏻*♂️

Heh yeah, after going through season 1 and a couple attempts afterward, I find comp to be a bit too stressful for me to stick around long. I usually do arcade mode nowadays really, with occasionally doing some rounds of QP.

If you are a competitive person by nature it can certainly be stressful if all you're doing is losing.

If you just have a laid back attitude about competitive just play quick play.

I played sports for years and am definitely a competitive guy who will get frustrated at loss streaks but it's not going to scare me from going into competitive, I don't get that attitude.

Truth

LiK

I played sports for years and am definitely a competitive guy who will get frustrated at loss streaks but it's not going to scare me from going into competitive, I don't get that attitude.

Truth

Wanna do placements in the next season together? You're a mean Tracer/Roadhog. I'm sure you'll end super higher than me so it'll be good to be able to play Comp together.

What's the difference? Can't blame any randoms for the loss. Can only blame people in our stack who didn't play their mains. I switched to Soldier cuz I was taking it more seriously against a full stack but a few guys didn't. They were still "practicing".

But I've been playing with some Gaffers in stacks and when everyone was playing it seriously to win, it was fun as hell. Anyway, these QP games have made me way better with some heroes so I'll be taking them into Comp. BE PREPARED MAH TRACER BRUV

I can't really explain it. Lack of stakes I guess? Like I'm never going to tell a teammate that a pick isn't working in QP, I'd just be an asshole. In comp it's just a suggestion on how better to win the game and it is received as such.

There is no strategy involved at all. And talking strategy just feels silly. I only played a couple games but the KOTH was literally a non stop trickle never trying to make a team fight of it. Anubis we held for like 10 minutes with zero tanks, which is just stupid. Gibraltar a Widow destroyed us and never got countered the whole game. We just let it happen.

It's just not for me. I see no reason to play a teamwork oriented strategy game and use neither.

Wanna do placements in the next season together? You're a mean Tracer/Roadhog. I'm sure you'll end super higher than me so it'll be good to be able to play Comp together.

Yeah I would probably be down to play with you or anyone else here for placements, especially on my smurf. We formed a six stack last season and lost a few games but I still ended up in high diamond so I don't think the game cares uch about placements.

LiK

I can't really explain it. Lack of stakes I guess? Like I'm never going to tell a teammate that a pick isn't working in QP, I'd just be an asshole. In comp it's just a suggestion on how better to win the game and it is received as such.

There is no strategy involved at all. And talking strategy just feels silly. I only played a couple games but the KOTH was literally a non stop trickle never trying to make a team fight of it. Anubis we held for like 10 minutes with zero tanks, which is just stupid. Gibraltar a Widow destroyed us and never got countered the whole game. We just let it happen.

It's just not for me. I see no reason to play a teamwork oriented strategy game and use neither.

Ah, that makes sense. I understand your reasoning now. You're right. I think we can probably do some serious stacked QPs for a bit of practice in the future if we wanna experiment with team comp. I guess we'll be mainly together in Comp from now on which I'm fine with.

Gorillaz

I def think stuff like comp is incredibly easier if you have played in team sports. Played basketball for awhile back in school so dealing with different attitudes, knowing how to flex roles, personalities is easier. The way people bitch and complain over a team fight or a early lose in a KOTH map and get toxic from that an eye roller. Alot of people aren't mentally tough to just keep it together.

Or maybe just need a break from it all. Sometimes it's best to just step back.

Allot of the heroes are dumb strong. Until recently I'd have said Zarya's the strongest because the barriers have lol CD and staying at 100 energy can almost be taken for granted, but Winston might be the strongest now, considering he provides a buffed spherical barrier on just as lul cooldown, and he's not as easy a target to Sombra as Zarya is.

Mei is stupid good. As soon as your wall goes down the cool down ends so you can have a constant wall. Plus the ice block charges let so fast. It is a ton of fun.

Afro

"You didn't time your Zen ult at the EXACT millisecond that I wanted you to. Therefore you suck."

Fuck all of those people.

A good number of posts here are complaints about throwers, leavers, smurfs, mouse and keyboard users, cheaters, and scallywags. It's real easy to pick up a vibe that you're not playing the game right, and that you're dragging your team down unless you're playing a certain way.

You get statements like "I don't get why people are messing around in comp" while also getting stuff like "I wish people were serious about quick play and stopped fucking around"

It's rough out there

i just feel like the pressure to perform is much higher because while sr doesn't matter all that much to me it does to other people

if i'm not in that ultra try hard mood i just don't enjoy it cus i feel like my lack of drive is dragging other down, whereas in quick play if i'm trying but in a more chill, relaxed way and we lose a game because i made a sloppy blink it doesn't really matter.

A good number of posts here are complaints about throwers, leavers, smurfs, mouse and keyboard users, cheaters, and scallywags. It's real easy to pick up a vibe that you're not playing the game right, and that you're dragging your team down unless you're playing a certain way.

You get statements like "I don't get why people are messing around in comp" while also getting stuff like "I wish people were serious about quick play and stopped fucking around"

It's rough out there

i just feel like the pressure to perform is much higher because while sr doesn't matter all that much to me it does to other people

if i'm not in that ultra try hard mood i just don't enjoy it cus i feel like my lack of drive is dragging other down, whereas in quick play if i'm trying but in a more chill, relaxed way and we lose a game because i made a sloppy blink it doesn't really matter.

I feel you guys with this, I think I can see the other side a little better now.

That being said, I still think the best thing to do is to say fuck it and go out there and try to win and have fun.

antitrop

I would enjoy Comp more if decay wasn't a thing, or at least not nearly as punitive. I don't like being forced to play it when I don't feel like it.

My idea for decay would be: Decay floor of 3500, 1 game per week between 3500-3999, 3 games per week between 4000 and T500.

slash3584

Yeah I stopped playing competitive because I can only play maybe 2 or 3 hours a week, so QP is a good compromise.

But yeah like someone else said, I think the main problem of QP is that some people play for fun and to try out new characters and others really try their best so It's kinda random what kind of match you will get.

DevilDog

I would enjoy Comp more if decay wasn't a thing, or at least not nearly as punitive. I don't like being forced to play it when I don't feel like it.

My idea for decay would be: Decay floor of 3500, 1 game per week between 3500-3999, 3 games per week between 4000 and T500.

I think in Kaplan's mind, he thinks this improves competitive since it will attract people who play hardcore every day.

Anne

I play a lot of QP because I enjoy playing with friends more than I enjoy comp. Wish there was a better unranked mode.

What fucking moron decided decided 1v1 would be best of 5, I just won one 5-4 and I wanted to fucking die. I was lamenting just afking to get it over with faster it's so long.

Best of 3 or 2 is a no brainer.

Wanderer5

Actually just had a pretty tight KOTH quick play, where the first round ended in a kind of long and epic 99% and 99% overtime finale lol.

What fucking moron decided decided 1v1 would be best of 5, I just won one 5-4 and I wanted to fucking die. I was lamenting just afking to get it over with faster it's so long.

Best of 3 is a no brainer.

If I go down 3-1 or 3-0 I just leave, even if I pulled the comeback it wouldn't be satisfying lol

Wanderer5

I feel sucky when it comes to single duels online heh, and it not just this game really. I need to be with other people, but yeah the best out of 5 length doesn't help either.

Maximo

Winstons *OH YEAH* Voice line is fucking amazing guy last night kept spamming it everytime he jumped in or away, couldn't stop cracking up.

rulerk1

today i found out spamming hello as your tickling people with Winston guns tilts them lol. i wish you could set hello to a button so i could do it more.

It's pretty cool I agree, what's kind of sad is that you look at her actual content without the words "sombra" and you see a huge discrepancy in views. She's barely getting ~5k views on her normal content and 20k+ views on anything overwatch related. I think she found that doing these meetups does more for her channel than making original content.

Top Bottom