• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Trickster

2-5 so far. My games have had a lot of toxicity and I'm playing heroes I'm pretty unfamiliar with, so not really surprising.

I felt like I should have played better but I also felt like I contributed more to the team when I was dps as Pharah/soldier compared to when I went mei/dva/Lucio. I don't know. I think I could have played better either way.... my dva bombs were so bad.

At least none of the games were blowouts but we lost lots of fights where we had numbers advantage but just couldn't finish them.
I really don't have a lot of issues with the games we had. All of them were close and competitive. And we were a couple plays away from winning any of the ones that we lost.

I know I 'tilt' but it's just because the strategy part of the game is by far my favorite thing about it. So I kind of become shot caller by default. And when I'm narrating the game and something that shouldn't happen happens I get aggravated. But it's nothing personal of course, just kind of the way I've been my whole gaming life (thank god you guys never saw me in high school during MW2) if you guys ever get offended or anything please tell me because a lot of the time I don't even notice what I say. At least I always point out the good things you guys do too ;)

And to those of you who never play with me, I'm not some huge asshole (I think) I just say shit like
"How is that Hog not dead!?!?"
"How'd we lose that fight?!?!"
"Owzers missed another charge, big surprise"
Throughout the game.

I really do love playing with the Gaf stack, tilt or no tilt.

Geneijin

Career and season high last season at 3008, dropped down to 2728 by the end of it. Placed 2546 this season. Maybe I should have stopped at 3008 for better placements. Oh well.

Blues1990

Done my placement matches with a group, and got 2500 on the dot.

I'm aiming to get to Diamond this season with a bigger focus on Zarya, Winston, and being flexible overall. Trying to climb these past 4 with Support alone was a very dumb idea on my part.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Without fail, every time I pick Winston in solo queue the randoms will tell me that Reaper is "countering" me right as they get destroyed by the most obvious Death Blossoms. No need to examine their own play, it has to be the Winston with gold kills and 2 deaths who's the real problem.

Filben

No need to examine their own play, it has to be the Winston with gold kills and 2 deaths who's the real problem.
A true classic. People going to the end of tilt with lack of self-reflection. These guys should really deal with their negative mind frame.

Different topic: what do you guys think of Oversumo (mobile phone app)? Is it reliable in terms of stats and comparison? Sometimes I can't imagine specific 'rankings' to be true.

Anne

Different topic: what do you guys think of Oversumo (mobile phone app)? Is it reliable in terms of stats and comparison? Sometimes I can't imagine specific 'rankings' to be true.

IMO Oversumo is garbage. It exists to make you feel better about stats when you're low elo.

Trickster

Not sure how accurate it is, but the way it calculates stuff like your rank with a hero seems very flawed. Take my Roadhog stats for instance, I'm listed as diamond yet these are my killstat rankings

Dmg done - master
Eliminations - grandmaster
Final blows - grandmaster

There are other stats tracked as well, but I don't see what my weapon accuracy or critical hits accuracy matters if I'm great at actually killing the enemies

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm going to message good people asking if they use kb/m on console like I did a few pages back in this thread then group up with them for placements.

GM here I come.

2-1 so far on my end.. playing with a group of 4/5 earlier a d we were doing well ... had to mixed it up with Zarya, Road and Rein the last couple of games/rounds. Feel like I am doing my job but it's hard to do blame game sometimes.. when in a group as some of my crew are a bit toxic lol

Anne

This helps. I love Sombra's aesthetic, but have never found a playstyle with her that I find satisfying. Will try this on 2cp defense maps.

Thanks for watching, glad it helps. You can take those concepts and apply them to defense on other maps or even koth as well. Offense doesn't work too differently, but a lot of it is kinda securing offensive paths rather than denying them.

LiK

I wanted to play tank, just saying I played bad overall and the only time I thought I was helping the team was when I played soldier and Pharah. I can play pretty much any role, I don't care what I play as long as I'm helping the team and winning.

What time was it for you? Must've been real late over in EU land when we were playing. Don't push yourself too hard just to play with us.

Owzers

Wait why don't you want to play before the game. That's the perfect time for me.

Are you and Pinku irl friends? Why did I think he was a gaffer?

Won't be able to. And yep, Pinku and I are friends irl, most other people I play with are from Gaf outside of one group I friend invited after playing with them as randoms (beast, heckyeah, etc)

Pinku does play occasionally when I don't but we usually agree on a time in advance.

There were a lot of missed charges last night...

LiK

We play with Pinku so much that we think he's a Gaffer, har har

Also, basketball is ruining our OW time together.

Career high: 3510
end season 4: 2560

Curious how I will place.

Considering how it seems like where you finished last season means more than anything else - probably like 2200.

Blizzard's stupid.

So comparatively - I did all my placements last night and Oversumo says I'm Platinum III while Blizzard placed me in Gold II (I believe that's the equivalent of where I placed).

It essentially only tracks certain stats to determine your rank and usually tells you you're better than how the actual game calculates rank. I think it's because Oversumo obviously doesn't take hidden MMR into account and is based on pure numbers. So you can have one really good game and Oversumo will say you're a Grandmaster level player, but in reality it's because you were playing against six actual Bronzes who kept feeding and running right into all your hooks, ults, etc.

In conclusion it's nice to look at for comparing your own stats but it's not a reliable way to judge your skill level.

Fugu

For any of you familiar with my ongoing struggles with the SR system's attempt to sabotage me, you might be interested to know that despite going 6-4 (and 9 of my ten placements. She went 5-5), I placed a full 550 SR below my duo queue partner with which I played the vast majority of my games last season.

I don't get it. Where does this number come from? I haven't been this low since the very beginning of last season.

EDIT: The icing on the cake here is that I can no longer play with the person I usually play with since we were placed so far apart.

For any of you familiar with my ongoing struggles with the SR system's attempt to sabotage me, you might be interested to know that despite going 6-4 (and 9 of my ten placements. She went 5-5), I placed a full 550 SR below my duo queue partner with which I played the vast majority of my games last season.

I don't get it. Where does this number come from? I haven't been this low since the very beginning of last season.

EDIT: The icing on the cake here is that I can no longer play with the person I usually play with since we were placed so far apart.
That's fucked.

Really gotta hurry and do my placements.

Handed my last assignment in and just got home so I'm thinking "Fuck waiting to do placements, lerooooy----" but then i get nervous. Eh, screw it. I should have fun and not lose myself if i don't get Diamond this season.

LiK

I don't care about SR this season. I wanna just play and win but have fun. Worrying about SR only adds stress so I would do worse. Not worth worrying about.

Hoping for Legendary skin drops for Zarya, D.Va and Bastion now. The only ones I'm missing now.

_Legacy_

Some of the horror stories of placements are scary. I fought tooth and nail to get up to 2830 and to think that after my placements I could end up in gold? That's nuts.

One thing is for sure, I'll be playing dps or healer when I start my placements today. I think they get favoured more.

I've mostly played Rein before on placements and in general end up 300 SR below my previous season end every time, despite having good games. I'd rather go Soldier, get tons of kills, good amount of time on fire so even if I win or lose, I know if I play well, I'll hopefully get placed closer to my season end.

Fugu

That's fucked.

Really gotta hurry and do my placements.
If it does what it did towards the end of last season - require me to have a win-loss ratio of 2:1 just to maintain my SR - I'm just going to call it quits. As much fun as it is to watch my hard work get slowly eroded it's really not worth my time.

Cappa

Banned
What time was it for you? Must've been real late over in EU land when we were playing. Don't push yourself too hard just to play with us.
Lol I did what nd does I fell asleep early set my alarm to around 2am played for a couple of hours then went back to sleep. I actually feel good today not tired at all so it worked out lol.

I definitely won't do this all the time figured for the first day I'd make an exception lol I'll probably just play regular time today and if anyone is on then hopefully group up

I don't care about SR this season. I wanna just play and win but have fun. Worrying about SR only adds stress so I would do worse. Not worth worrying about.

Hoping for Legendary skin drops for Zarya, D.Va and Bastion now. The only ones I'm missing now.

Yep, I tried to tell that to my friend who got really stressed about it. I like setting myself mini goals like "This season I want x Wins" or work towards a golden gun...but now I have two gold weapons (Mercy + Rein) and Ana or Pharah would be next...so I would think of my goal in that way, rather than draining myself about Diamond/Master etc.

Got the Zarya skin in a box though. Its pretty sweet and her golden gun looks great with it, imo. Only skin I still want from the event is Tracer, but that is more of an interest, I like her og and Royal Skins best.

The only reason I'm worried about SR is I know most of you guys that I play with on PS4 might end up in Diamond/Master range and if the game starts me low enough and I get an unlucky losing streak, I might end up unable to play comp with you guys.

I'm fine with QP, but I'd like the option of comp at least.

If it does what it did towards the end of last season - require me to have a win-loss ratio of 2:1 just to maintain my SR - I'm just going to call it quits. As much fun as it is to watch my hard work get slowly eroded it's really not worth my time.

I think the frustrating thing for me is I went 7-3 in my placements with a 5 game winning streak. If you put that record into regular SR gain I probably would have jumped 200 points. But I finished at 2400 last season and ended up getting placed even lower this season. So there's some sort of artificial lowering going on due to the whole "you gain more in the first games you play after placement if you win" which I don't really like.

I get they said they wanted to place people a little lower so they can enjoy moving up, but if you're unlucky you get stuck for a long time at a lower level after those bonus SR gains go away.

LiK

Lol I did what nd does I fell asleep early set my alarm to around 2am played for a couple of hours then went back to sleep. I actually feel good today not tired at all so it worked out lol.

I definitely won't do this all the time figured for the first day I'd make an exception lol I'll probably just play regular time today and if anyone is on then hopefully group up

lol, that's dedication. Altho I feel it's better to play with us to avoid EU servers. Seems playing in EU servers is a real mess.

Yep, I tried to tell that to my friend who got really stressed about it. I like setting myself mini goals like "This season I want x Wins" or work towards a golden gun...but now I have two gold weapons (Mercy + Rein) and Ana or Pharah would be next...so I would think of my goal in that way, rather than draining myself about Diamond/Master etc.

Got the Zarya skin in a box though. Its pretty sweet and her golden gun looks great with it, imo. Only skin I still want from the event is Tracer, but that is more of an interest, I like her og and Royal Skins best.

Yea, I feel I'm doing pretty good now with all my mains. I feel real good with how I'm doing these days. My aim is on point most of the time and I'm getting picks. I just need to work on my positioning a bit better with some maps but I no longer feel stressed or worried when going into matches these days. It's been a better time. Comp doesn't stress me out anymore.

My one true goal is to kill every stinking Genji player.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After nearly 15 boxes that I got without buying with real money yet, I finally got my 1st skin, and it's Hanzo.

Well better than nothing I guess. At least it wasn't Soldier 76 or Zarya.

I really want Symmetra and Dva though, and I at least have enough money to buy one of them before the event ends. But knowing my luck, I probably won't get either of those two in a box gained from Arcade or lvls....

Chance

Anyone have some pro tips for how to play Tracer? Want to focus more on trying out squishy dps heroes this season

First off, the rhythm is unload your guns, blink while reloading, repeat. If you're confident in your position (no one's shooting at you), not blinking and continuing to lay down hurt only strengthens your eventual escape - so don't feel like you HAVE to blink after every clip.

Second, once you get comfortable landing shots with her (note: you can execute a Tracer, Mercy, Zen, McCree, Soldier, Ana, Lucio, Hanzo, Widow, Sym simply by landing a full clip of body shots), work on improving your headshots. Being able to headshot with her massively increases your lethality and extends the range at which you are super scary.

Third: Pulse Bomb. Unless you have a set-up ult you feel you'll get use out of (Zarya's is #1), throw your ult like candy. Stick it to the biggest body on the field (Rein, Hog, Orisa, Bastion) and hope a squishy or two are close enough to get gibbed. You'll soon learn the timings you need to ensure a kill with it on the tanks:

Rein must have at least 100 additional damago put into him first.

Hog must not have his huff, or less than 100hp before you stick him.

Orisa must have already used Fortify, plus 5 damage at full hp.

Bastion requires 5 additonal damage when in turret form.

Throw it constantly. As soon as it comes up, use it because you can have it back in like four clips if you land your shots well. You're not getting max value out of Tracer if you're just sitting on her ult. Being able to execute the enemy Rein (blink behind him, unload a clip into his back, sticky = dead) opens most team fights wide open in your side's favor.

BRLlUqg.gif

Fourth: you're a flanker. Don't stand behind Rein's shield - don't stand with your team - not because you shouldn't be helping in the teamfight (you should), but because if you stand there your tiny health bar will get instagibbed by general fire.

You should start every team fight ready to pounce behind or at least to the side of the enemy team. Picking supports is important, but stopping that Soldier from killing your ally can make a bigger difference.

Fifth: be an asshole. If you're confident your team can hold the point, dive on the reds' spawn and solo anyone coming to reinforce. You're Tracer - if you get the jump on them, you're favored to win in a one-on-one against everyone.

And I hear you thinking "seriously? Everyone?"

Let me repeat:

giphy.gif

Once you can do all of that and survive to keep helping your team, you're a master Tracer, no matter your SR.

could it be that win percentage goes by rounds and not by entire matches

that would be weird and if it was they should clear that up. i'll try to keep a stat of the rest of the placement games.

but zen though. 3 game win streak. when you gotta be the fake dps to win.

Roubjon

I formed up with a group of randoms yesterday during placements and we were doing awesome. We won 3 matches in a row and were on our way to winning our fourth when my internet crapped out.

I felt so awful. I don't want to play anymore until I know that'll never happen again.

Just adding to the list of results.

Season 4:
Placed: 24XX
Season high: 3399
Season End: 3000

Season 5:
Placements: 7 wins 3 loses
Placed 2902

I'm okay with that result.

5 Games so far.

WLLWW.

The two loses had 0 communication from the 2x 4 man premades we were with and we did pretty awfully. I don't know if my friend and I were bad, but it was awful. Then came Ilios and Oasis. The best thing I can say is that we absolutely god-stomped on both maps, 3-0 both times.

On Ilios I was Mercy (my friend Lucio) and it all worked out really well with some great tanks and DPS. On Oasis - when the map came up I groaned - I was Roadhog and had probably the best game of my life as him. 64K/4D + Gold Dmg/Elims/Obj Kills. Sooooo good, and our Mercy was godly. Makes up for two aggravating losses.

iosa

TakeOver 2 started today.

First game is already over (NiP vs Cyclowns)

Rogue vs EUnited is about to start here

Groups are

A : NiP, Cyclowns, Rogue, EUnited (all games today)

B : Movistars Riders, Misfits, Cloud9, Hammers (games tomorrow)

Wait what the hell you guys played another game after I left AND WON.

I'm more tilted now time to play Attack Torb next time we group up.

LiK

Wait what the hell you guys played another game after I left AND WON.

I'm more tilted now time to play Attack Torb next time we group up.

Were you the one who left? We stomped the other team. Yea, we won with a random. Thank gawd he was a nice guy too.

HMD

So I won two games lost six, left one aka lost, and tied once. Yet I only lost 250 SR. Why the hell are placements even a thing then?

Top Bottom