• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Blizzard needs to do a full reset of MMR.

Agreed.

Otherwise I'm going to be forever stuck in low Platinum.

There's just no out. It doesn't matter how well I play I'm always going to be here. The placement matches are a complete waste of time. In fact, having seasons is a complete waste of time because nothing ever fucking changes.

JHall

Agreed.

There's just no out. It doesn't matter how well I play I'm always going to be here. The placement matches are a complete waste of time. In fact, having seasons is a complete waste of time because nothing ever fucking changes.

Here's the thing, I don't believe in "Elo Hell", if you're good enough you'll eventually climb out. My biggest problem is the amount of boosted one-tricks that are in my GM games on PC. If they don't get to play their one hero we are essentially playing the game 5v6, it's frustrating. My last match last night I had 3 one-trick Mercy mains on my team, they spent half the game arguing about who should play Mercy...

Anne

JHall is right. Resetting MMR isn't suddenly going to get you out of plat. Elo Hell isn't real and the type of stuff that kinda resembles it doesn't really work that way. It might drop inflated MMR people back down a bi though. They'll eventually get back up again if the SR system doesn't change though.

Here's the thing, I don't believe in "Elo Hell", if you're good enough you'll eventually climb out. My biggest problem is the amount of boosted one-tricks that are in my GM games on PC. If they don't get to play their one hero we are essentially playing the game 5v6, it's frustrating. My last match last night I had 3 one-trick Mercy mains on my team, they spent half the game arguing about who should play Mercy...
How would a reset fix that if they don't change how mmr/SR fundamentally works?

Eventually you'd run in to the same problem.

Anne

Yeah, this is why I'm incredibly disappointed they haven't stated any changes to competitive and why I'm just not very interested in playing it.

It's not really even about climbing above Platinum. I know I'm not a great player, far from it, but I'd like to feel some sort of actual progression, some sort of actual change. Even if that means dropping down loads of ranks, at least that's movement.

I dunno. It's just very boring having one win and then one loss and then being exactly where you were when you started.

JHall

It would make the game play better for about a month. You're right though; they need to change how the SR/MMR works then do a full reset. But, as of right now it seems that this problem isn't on Blizzard's high priority list.

LifEndz

Agreed.

I'm still relatively new to this game compared to some of you, and I'm just wondering how they determine comp rank. I know they probably haven't laid out all the determining metrics but I've heard it's based primarily on individual performance and that win/loss isn't a significant factor. Is that correct?

maomaoIYP

It's not really even about climbing above Platinum. I know I'm not a great player, far from it, but I'd like to feel some sort of actual progression, some sort of actual change. Even if that means dropping down loads of ranks, at least that's movement.

I dunno. It's just very boring having one win and then one loss and then being exactly where you were when you started.

This is the problem right here.
The aim of competitive is not about progression by gaining SR - it's about creating balanced matches.

LiK

I'm still relatively new to this game compared to some of you, and I'm just wondering how they determine comp rank. I know they probably haven't laid out all the determining metrics but I've heard it's based primarily on individual performance and that win/loss isn't a significant factor. Is that correct?

Individual performance is the primary factor.

LifEndz

Individual performance is the primary factor.

Thanks. Guess I'll stop picking Widow when my team decides to throw a match lol.

Edit: Quick followup: So even if my team loses but lets say I have an amazing round, is it possible to move up in rank?

Ramirez

I just wish they'd stop weighing everything on wins and losses, all it takes is one guy throwing in this game and there is nothing you can do to overcome it.

There has to be a way they could factor in personal play a little bit.

LifEndz

I just wish they'd stop weighing everything on wins and losses, all it takes is one guy throwing in this game and there is nothing you can do to overcome it.

But with individual performance being the primary determinant, then even if a guy on your team throws but you play to your average, you should stay more or less where you were prior to the match, no? Just want to make sure I got this. I'm hell bent on getting diamond this season.

LiK

Yep, it's too binary. They take MMR into consideration but then leave it all to wins or losses to determine SR. Sucky system.

I finally pulled my main account, used to play with friends/coworkers, out of platinum the last weekend of season 4. Ended last season in the 3100s, went 9-1 in placements, and got placed back at 2790. This account is cursed.

Sane_Man

But with individual performance being the primary determinant, then even if a guy on your team throws but you play to your average, you should stay more or less where you were prior to the match, no? Just want to make sure I got this. I'm hell bent on getting diamond this season.

If you lose the match you lose points no matter what. Individual performance affects placement matches to determine where you place at the end of them. It also affects how many points you gain or lose in normal ranked games but if you win you gain points even if you play shit and if you lose you lose points even if you're amazing.

Lost 7 games won 3 placed 1580. People really don't know how to deal with pharah / mercy even when they tell you "let me play soldier I'm really good".

Christ.

LifEndz

If you lose the match you lose points no matter what. Individual performance affects placement matches to determine where you place at the end of them. It also affects how many points you gain or lose in normal ranked games but if you win you gain points even if you play shit and if you lose you lose points even if you're amazing.

Okay. I think I got it now. Thanks everyone.

Fugu

JHall is right. Resetting MMR isn't suddenly going to get you out of plat. Elo Hell isn't real and the type of stuff that kinda resembles it doesn't really work that way. It might drop inflated MMR people back down a bi though. They'll eventually get back up again if the SR system doesn't change though.
This is a pretty naive understanding of the relationship between SR and skill.

I average 18 SR for a win and 40 for a loss. It doesn't take any kind of sophisticated analytics to conclude that a) the game is pushing me in a certain direction and b) not all players are doing the same amount of work to achieve the same SR. If you include my placement, I've now lost over 700 SR in the last month with a win rate just above 50%.

That's not even taking into account the fact that influence on the game's overall outcome is unevenly distributed across roles.

Going to do my placements this weekend. Placed as a first time comp player at 2700. Won some games, lost some games. Finished around 2700. Most of my wins were when I was Mercy. I'm trying to get better at a few other characters but I'm just not there yet and I wish my ranking could be lower :lol

First off, the rhythm is unload your guns, blink while reloading, repeat. If you're confident in your position (no one's shooting at you), not blinking and continuing to lay down hurt only strengthens your eventual escape - so don't feel like you HAVE to blink after every clip.

Second, once you get comfortable landing shots with her (note: you can execute a Tracer, Mercy, Zen, McCree, Soldier, Ana, Lucio, Hanzo, Widow, Sym simply by landing a full clip of body shots), work on improving your headshots. Being able to headshot with her massively increases your lethality and extends the range at which you are super scary.

Third: Pulse Bomb. Unless you have a set-up ult you feel you'll get use out of (Zarya's is #1), throw your ult like candy. Stick it to the biggest body on the field (Rein, Hog, Orisa, Bastion) and hope a squishy or two are close enough to get gibbed. You'll soon learn the timings you need to ensure a kill with it on the tanks:

Rein must have at least 100 additional damago put into him first.

Hog must not have his huff, or less than 100hp before you stick him.

Orisa must have already used Fortify, plus 5 damage at full hp.

Bastion requires 5 additonal damage when in turret form.

Throw it constantly. As soon as it comes up, use it because you can have it back in like four clips if you land your shots well. You're not getting max value out of Tracer if you're just sitting on her ult. Being able to execute the enemy Rein (blink behind him, unload a clip into his back, sticky = dead) opens most team fights wide open in your side's favor.

BRLlUqg.gif

Fourth: you're a flanker. Don't stand behind Rein's shield - don't stand with your team - not because you shouldn't be helping in the teamfight (you should), but because if you stand there your tiny health bar will get instagibbed by general fire.

You should start every team fight ready to pounce behind or at least to the side of the enemy team. Picking supports is important, but stopping that Soldier from killing your ally can make a bigger difference.

Fifth: be an asshole. If you're confident your team can hold the point, dive on the reds' spawn and solo anyone coming to reinforce. You're Tracer - if you get the jump on them, you're favored to win in a one-on-one against everyone.

And I hear you thinking "seriously? Everyone?"

Let me repeat:

giphy.gif

Once you can do all of that and survive to keep helping your team, you're a master Tracer, no matter your SR.

I love this. I've been working towards getting good as Tracer, and I feel dangerous enough to make a difference in most team fights. Unless a Roadhog hooks me, I've also been getting better at surviving.

I never get to play as her though. I almost always have to fill as D.Va or Lucio.

Anne

This is a pretty naive understanding of the relationship between SR and skill.

I average 18 SR for a win and 40 for a loss. It doesn't take any kind of sophisticated analytics to conclude that a) the game is pushing me in a certain direction and b) not all players are doing the same amount of work to achieve the same SR. If you include my placement, I've now lost over 700 SR in the last month with a win rate just above 50%.

That's not even taking into account the fact that influence on the game's overall outcome is unevenly distributed across roles.

This just sounds like you have had pretty poor career performance and ended up getting your SR inflated compared to what you're doing. I know a few diff GM support players that don't have this problem, and they all soloq.

I also think any role can have a lot of impact but what do I know. I kinda feel for you playing below your SR average long enough to end up in this situation, but from what I know about how SR works it seems you spent some time being inflated.

This is the problem right here.
The aim of competitive is not about progression by gaining SR - it's about creating balanced matches.

Balanced matches?

I've been in games where I've had 3 gold ranked players on my side against 2 diamond ranked players, players with silver borders, players who have obviously played a whole lot more and are quite clearly a whole lot better, on their side.
And not just once or twice either. It's happened a number of times.

Balanced my arse. They cobble together any old teams.

Anne

Spoilers: The shit involving balancing out groups is what fucks with game balance a lot from what I've seen. Dynamic Queue is a terrible ass system.

Chance

I love this. I've been working towards getting good as Tracer, and I feel dangerous enough to make a difference in most team fights. Unless a Roadhog hooks me, I've also been getting better at surviving.

I never get to play as her though. I almost always have to fill as D.Va or Lucio.

Thank you! And yeah, I'll often fill or flex (my other main is Mercy and I'm proficient with all tanks but Hog) - but I'm doing that for Karma Points so I don't feel guilty instalocking Tracer on KotH, Hanamura, Numbani...

This might just be me, but like I've said in the past I'm finding the best way to fight a roadhog as tracer is just right up in his face. At least this way you can blink around and make him work for hook shots. Also you'll be doing max damage. Any other Tracer players chime in on this or have anti roadhog strats? Nothing worse than getting hooked as tracer.

This might just be me, but like I've said in the past I'm finding the best way to fight a roadhog as tracer is just right up in his face. At least this way you can blink around and make him work for hook shots. Also you'll be doing max damage. Any other Tracer players chime in on this or have anti roadhog strats? Nothing worse than getting hooked as tracer.

Best strategy is to blink whenever you are directly in his line of sight. I would note here that it is dangerous to engage against a Roadhog if you are low on blinks at the start of the 1v1. Beyond that just unload clips into his head so you can build your ult quickly and use that to finish him off. It also can help a lot if you are on mic asking for some focus fire on the Hog because 1v1s with him can prove to be less than fruitful if both he and his supports are just healing off all the damage you're dealing.

hesido

How much HP will a Mercy have after hook-shot-melee combo? Like under 10?

It's not like Roadhog dies if his combo doesn't ohko someone.

But that someone has not died and now its close to Roadhog and can also kill / reduce health of RoadHog significantly. For example a soldier can make him eat rockets and Reaper can deal serious damage. One would have to think twice before using the hook. Which does make its use much more tactical..

Veelk

Banned
So after playing around in the new patch a little, I have to say

I still think Soldier is kinda bullshit. He certainly doesn't feel like he's been nerfed any, since hte nerf was that small.

Now, I wish that they'd just make his healing station both counterable (make it eatable by D.Va's DM or something) and that it'd just not heal him as fast/as much as it does.

Agreed.

Stop blaming matchmaking and your team mates, get better aim, positioning, and be a leader in team chat communication, keep everyone positive and on task and the SR will follow.

Fugu

This just sounds like you have had pretty poor career performance and ended up getting your SR inflated compared to what you're doing. I know a few diff GM support players that don't have this problem, and they all soloq.

I also think any role can have a lot of impact but what do I know. I kinda feel for you playing below your SR average long enough to end up in this situation, but from what I know about how SR works it seems you spent some time being inflated.
I mean, that's awfully presumptuous of you to assume considering the system is 90 percent opaque. If you lost more than twice what you gained, your rating would tank too. There is literally no way for me to see long run gains in the current system. Even if I win every game I play I will eventually reach a point where that's not possible and get bumped back down.

How can my rating be inflated if I played in a narrow band (3700-3900) with a win rate above 50% for two months? Indeed, my win rate for season 4 was never below 50% and was in absurd ranges (>75%) until I got above 3400, where it leveled out somewhere in the mid-fifties. I got placed this season at 3195 despite having good placements and playing in games well above that rank due to duoing with a player who I played most of my season 4 games with (she's still in that range despite a sub-50% win rate and being placed in gold the season prior).

I don't belong at this range, and I've gone through this all before so it's pretty easy for me to see that. When I group with others, their gains vastly supercede mine, sometimes to the point that I can no longer group with people because despite playing literally the exact same games for weeks the SR difference has grown to be larger than 500.

It is beyond irritating to read you comment authoritatively on something that your understanding of is based entirely on the fact that the system has worked out for you.

Anne

It is beyond irritating to read you comment authoritatively on something that your understanding of is based entirely on the fact that the system has worked out for you.

It's worked for me and a lot of other people, so I dunno. Have you played primarily support in a duo or trio queue since the game came out?

Chance

I'd say what I do to this Hog here. These are The Three Methods:

https://youtu.be/c9MkvgIfSAE

1. Solo, no pulse bomb. Keep out of his effective ranges (there's a deadzone between his M1 and M2), bait the first hook and count the seconds till its cooldown's up.

2. Pulse bomb. Wait until he huffs, load him with one solid spray and bomb him.

3. By this time the Hog is so scared of you he'll pop his ult in hopes of soloing you. Tracer + her team wrecks him easily.

4. Hog switches to Soldier to counter you. Pulse Bomb him again. Why? Because it's hilarious.

Have 20 minutes of me rambling about how Sombra on 2CP defense works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bD8nmAdjk

Good work, thank you.

I've seen a lot of Tracers doing that lately because my hook is on cooldown. They usually die to a normal shot when they could easily have a chance if they were more cautious. Hog spread isn't as awful as it used to be, but they seem to forget about that.

Fugu

It's worked for me and a lot of other people, so I dunno. Have you played primarily support in a duo or trio queue since the game came out?
I play DPS 80 percent of the time and I only solo queued until I got to master.

Yes, the key here is that you don't know but claim that you do. Until there is transparency (which will likely never happen for perfectly good reasons), your understanding of how SR works is, like mine, just a guess.

pizzacat

Banned
There's a lot of secret bullshit factors to comp that blizzard doesn't actually talk about

Like if you're batting less than .500 on win rate you get less from wins and more from losses.

Which in reality just leads to more losses lol

There's also streaks, off meta scoring, how if the game just doesn't feel like you belong somewhere it's points just become unfair.

I've gone through all of that shit last season and managed to snag masters for the first time, it feels gdlk to beat the game when everything is against you and you're trying not to play your main character

Anne

I play DPS 80 percent of the time and I only solo queued until I got to master.

Yes, the key here is that you don't know but claim that you do. Until there is transparency (which will likely never happen for perfectly good reasons), your understanding of how SR works is, like mine, just a guess.

Just was taking a guess based on what you were talking about happening. I'm pretty confident in talking about the SR system because I've messed with three accounts now to see how some of it works, and I'm friends with some boosters who talk about manipulating it for profit. It's murky, but in general it's pretty easy to predict what's going on with an account and reverse that MMR issue you have. It almost always comes down to long strings off subpar stats.

Note: I am not a booster, but I have looked pretty deep into it. SR manipulation is a real thing people have figured out. Pick Torb or Sombra in a stack, farm specific stats, gain 150SR a game.

hesido

7-2-1 and I placed at 2159.
That's the lowest placement I've had ever and I was plat last season. LUL.

Best I've placed in a season was I guess 2400. Last season I started 2100, went up to 2700. Went down to 2040 in a loss streak. From there, went up to 2840 (IIRC) in 13 consecutive wins (11 on the first day, 2 more on the other.) The pressure was so high nearing the end of the streak.

Never got to 3000 though. If I had won two more matches I'd have :(

I wonder where I'll be placed this time...

Top Bottom