• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

ohkay

Typically, what kind of win % do you want to have before going into Competitive? Zen's at 64%, followed by Sym, D.Va, and Mei at about 57%. Mercy is only like 39% : /
I don't pay attention to the win % in quick play before I use a character, I just play them if I feel comfortable using them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've discovered overwatch. I love it.

Ditto in that I just started playing this weekend.

Knew I'd like it, and we've owned a copy my son got for Xmas. I just am that far behind on my backlog. Finally finished going through Destiny and being LTTP to that, and now playing Overwatch.

So far so good. Need to play more and rank up to get a good feel for the competitive nature.

Ran Mercy to relive my heavy medic days. Game felt a little easy at times. Felt like team comps weren't always even. Either we steam rolled (like 3/4 of my games) or we got rolled. Not much in between.

Figure this is just how unranked goes.

maomaoIYP

So....I made a new account on PS4 just to practice Ana and nothing else.
Made it to level 25 and did all my placements solo queue in a single stretch on Saturday.
My Ana isn't half bad, honestly!
Yq55hMF.jpg

In placements I began with being grouped up in golds and plats
By the end I was grouped with silvers.
End result 4-6, 1985 SR silver

I'm mid diamond player on my main account and I had created a new account to practice Pharah in S2 (8-2 placements, 3178 SR), so I was a little annoyed at getting placed silver by just playing Ana. I stopped restricting myself and decided to just play whatever I wanted. 6 wins in 6 games since placement, and my account is now at 2471 SR. I'm not entirely sure what this means. I had thought that my QP MMR should prevent me from placing so low, and yet I ended up in silver. If my QP MMR did not matter in comp, then I should not have gained 500 SR in 6 games. What will the MMR system for comp do if I get to level 25 with 0 hours in QP then?
https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/NozomiSasaki?mode=competitive

komaruR

So....I made a new account on PS4 just to practice Ana and nothing else.
Made it to level 25 and did all my placements solo queue in a single stretch on Saturday.
My Ana isn't half bad, honestly!
Yq55hMF.jpg

In placements I began with being grouped up in golds and plats
By the end I was grouped with silvers.
End result 4-6, 1985 SR silver

I'm mid diamond player on my main account and I had created a new account to practice Pharah in S2 (8-2 placements, 3178 SR), so I was a little annoyed at getting placed silver by just playing Ana. I stopped restricting myself and decided to just play whatever I wanted. 6 wins in 6 games since placement, and my account is now at 2471 SR. I'm not entirely sure what this means. I had thought that my QP MMR should prevent me from placing so low, and yet I ended up in silver. If my QP MMR did not matter in comp, then I should not have gained 500 SR in 6 games. What will the MMR system for comp do if I get to level 25 with 0 hours in QP then?
https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/NozomiSasaki?mode=competitive
wasnt people talking about support bug now in comp that give you less sr as support hero

antitrop

wasnt people talking about support bug now in comp that give you less sr as support hero

I think it's fixed now. The bug was reported on the 22nd, which correlates with my SR drop, but I think it's been good for a few days now.

Blizzard hasn't said anything else since the day it was reported, just acknowledging that they were looking into it, and some people are still posting Excel spreadsheets of their SR gains and losses in the Battle.net thread, so who knows for sure.

Apathy

holy hell i just had a complete waste of a player be genji and never once go and harass healers. I don't get this, comp isn't where you go practice, go take that shit somewhere else

Btw, he instantly left voice as soon as round 2 started when he locked genji, first round he wanted to play torb and was awful

antitrop

I feel like this isn't the first time playing support has weirdly affected sr so I will pretty much never pick support during placement.

It absolutely did happen, confirmed by Jeff himself. Last August:

Jeff Kaplan said:
Thanks for the input, guys. This is really helpful. A lot of what you're saying aligns with what we're seeing.

We've made so many changes since Season 1 that the data from that Season is not relevant anymore. Also, we made significant changes after the placement reset on the PTR. So our sample size is limited in evaluating this. It's also somewhat tainted because much of the feedback we get is either Season 1 holdover feedback or pre-"placement reset" Season 2 feedback. So trying to separate out all of the old issues from possible current new ones is challenging.

What it looks like to us is:

--Zen places fine
--Ana places fine
--Mercy places low (fix in flight)
--Lucio places really low (fix in flight)

There were other heroes (non-support) who were placing too high and too low... and there are fixes in flight for these as well. This should further help to balance things out... hopefully. We'll keep a very close eye on this and continue to make improvements as needed.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748606456?page=16#post-308

Finished my placement matches with the help of some GAFers tonight: final tally was 4-4-2, and got placed at Gold with 2436 SR. Was hoping to finally get placed in Platinum, but it's my highest placement so far (46 Season 1, 2350 Season 2, 2150 Season 3) so I'm definitely improving. Maybe Season 5 I'll start in Platinum...

I was hoping to try and make the Diamond chase this season but I'm not sure about it now.

Sometimes I just can't deal with the sheer stupidity of some people. We had a team kill in hanamura 2nd point with 3 people remaining on our team. The fucking reaper decides to leave the point letting just me and Sombra to cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWgwybxv9w

We draw. I just can't.

Finished my placement matches with the help of some GAFers tonight: final tally was 4-4-2, and got placed at Gold with 2436 SR. Was hoping to finally get placed in Platinum, but it's my highest placement so far (46 Season 1, 2350 Season 2, 2150 Season 3) so I'm definitely improving. Maybe Season 5 I'll start in Platinum...

I was hoping to try and make the Diamond chase this season but I'm not sure about it now.

Nice man.

I left immediately as the game ended because I was WAY beyond tilted.

feels bad man. i place with an 7-2-1 record and constantly placed 200-300 lower than last season. Then i get placed in matched where my team is number-wise 50-150 lower. going 2-8 so far in competitive....

Duress

Yeah people forget that the objective is to guard the point, instead of going out and killing everything.

People end up being surprised when they lose.

Yeah people forget that the objective is to guard the point, instead of going out and killing everything.

People end up being surprised when they lose.

We need 3 players on point to cap at the max speed. Even with two we almost made it, that dumbass reaper threw away a sure win.

Had an amazing run today with 6 wins in a row, and then the final game was tied on dorado, all we had to do was hold them for 1 minute, THEY WENT THE ENTIRE WAY ON OVERTIME and we lost holy shit talk about demoralizing

Owzers

We need 3 players on point to cap at the max speed. Even with two we almost made it, that dumbass reaper threw away a sure win.
I'm going to remember this three person thing in the future, we can't risk unleashing the full nd wraith again.

Or at least until we get another hanzo random.

I think I'm going to try Rein more in koth too.

Probably had the worst matches I ever had tonight. Had a 4 gold medal match as Winston. That's never a good sign. Even worse if you have 4 DPS on your team.

And people chasing kills in overtime after we won a teamfight and letting a Dva solo cap the point on Anubis.

Save me Overwatch GAF.

Veelk

Banned
Had an amazing run today with 6 wins in a row, and then the final game was tied on dorado, all we had to do was hold them for 1 minute, THEY WENT THE ENTIRE WAY ON OVERTIME and we lost holy shit talk about demoralizing

I try to look at games like that positively. Unless your team made some really stupid plays, I would just admire the other team for pulling a win from against odds that stacked against them.

I'm not gonna say I love every well played loss because losing still sucks and I feel you. But I try to hate 'bad' games rather than lost games. Games where someone intentionally throws or when teams won't coordinate and communicate. Those suck. But when both sides play a strong match, even if I lose, I try to admire the plays made that resulted in that good match.

antitrop

Probably had the worst matches I ever had tonight. Had a 4 gold medal match as Winston. That's never a good sign. Even worse if you have 4 DPS on your team.
Probably because they weren't getting any healing. Winston is a heal vacuum and you only had 1 support...

Or maybe they just can't aim

I'm going to remember this three person thing in the future, we can't risk unleashing the full nd wraith again.

Yeah Rein is super fun in koth with an Ana and Lucio, I think you got the most kills in that match.

And that hanzo was like the worst thing ever.

Sometimes I just can't deal with the sheer stupidity of some people. We had a team kill in hanamura 2nd point with 3 people remaining on our team. The fucking reaper decides to leave the point letting just me and Sombra to cap.

We draw. I just can't.

Nice man.

He probably didn't know he adds to the cap speed.

Probably because they weren't getting any healing. Winston is a heal vacuum and you only had 1 support...

Or maybe they just can't aim

They were just countered with every character and refused to swap. A Genji just kept getting killed by a Zarya, McCree was just trying to run into Roadhog. And our Pharah couldn't manage to kill the Torb turret and who the fuck knows what the Tracer was doing. Back into the 2300s after I was close to 2500 again. I think my goal of reaching Diamond after coming close last season is not going to happen.

Of course everyone kept running out of the spawn one by one.

Haha. Did ND tilt?

You have no idea.

He probably didn't know he adds to the cap speed.

If he didn't now he knows since I sent him a message on PSN
and I wasn't rude for the record lol

Now he's going to be on the enemy team and they are going to cap the point thanks to him when playing against me. I can see it already.

Yep! If he were on mic he could have calmly yelled at the reaper to get on point.

I bet reaper didn't know too. I knew more is better but not that three is the max

Was he on chat? I think I only remember seeing 4 persons there.

Nice man.

Yeah, I could tell. No worries. :D

We definitely should have won that match thought - it seems like the new 2CP rules for defenders coming back from spawn are negligible overall, I haven't noticed a difference and we were holding that point by a majority for a long time.

I think I'm only going to play Lucio in KOTH matches from now on - the only time I win on KOTH is when I'm Lucio for some reason. I'm the king of boops on that one Lijiang map.

Haha. Did ND tilt?

It was less tilt, more nuclear.

I was reading a dev post on B.net, and apparently the matchmaking tries to pair people up based on their win %, aiming for a 50% winrate. It occurs to me that this is exactly why some people who are 1500 feel like they are incredible at the game, and others play like it's their first time. I bet this keeps people artificially inflated, and I'm not a fan of the idea.

I was reading a dev post on B.net, and apparently the matchmaking tries to pair people up based on their win %, aiming for a 50% winrate. It occurs to me that this is exactly why some people who are 1500 feel like they are incredible at the game, and others play like it's their first time. I bet this keeps people artificially inflated, and I'm not a fan of the idea.

Yeah... Just confirms it form the beginning that it's a forced 50% which makes no damn sense in competitive... If they want to do that in QP fine but it shouldn't setup competitive like that.

Yeah, I could tell. No worries. :D

We definitely should have won that match thought - it seems like the new 2CP rules for defenders coming back from spawn are negligible overall, I haven't noticed a difference and we were holding that point by a majority for a long time.

I think I'm only going to play Lucio in KOTH matches from now on - the only time I win on KOTH is when I'm Lucio for some reason. I'm the king of boops on that one Lijiang map.

It was less tilt, more nuclear.

2cp are so damn annoying, the initial fight is usually the best bet to cap the point. That's why I was so frustrated when we did it and couldn't capitalize on it.

And yeah Lucio on Lijiang is awesome, so much boop potential.

I try to look at games like that positively. Unless your team made some really stupid plays, I would just admire the other team for pulling a win from against odds that stacked against them.

I'm not gonna say I love every well played loss because losing still sucks and I feel you. But I try to hate 'bad' games rather than lost games. Games where someone intentionally throws or when teams won't coordinate and communicate. Those suck. But when both sides play a strong match, even if I lose, I try to admire the plays made that resulted in that good match.

That's a good attitude to have for sure, I can definitely agree with that

DR2K

Banned
Ok I can understand picking Hanzo or Widowmaker on console, you hate humanity. But why both on one team? :/

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
God I love this game.

Get drunk playing every night on PS4 with my 3 stack and just hit 2400 tonight. Feels so goooooooooooood!!!!!

Goal this season is platinum

hypernima

Banned
Stevo went from 1440 SR to 3896 SR in one sitting with his Bronze to GM Sym play.
His win streak has been netting him 110~ SR a game.

Apathy

I dc'ed just as we were winning round one, reconnected, went back cause I didn't want to screw the other people on my team. We ended up winning and I still got potg at the end :/

I've discovered overwatch. I love it.

just dont touch widow or hanzo and i'll be happy. The world does not need more of anyone playing those characters

ISOM

Ok I can understand picking Hanzo or Widowmaker on console, you hate humanity. But why both on one team? :/

Hanzo and Widow can work together tbh. It won't for the most part but when it does...man do you get rolled. I've been on the giving and the receiving end of that duo lol.

LiK

We draw. I just can't.

Nice man.

HAHAHA, what the fuck with that Reaper. Could've capped and won. I would've tilted too.

We draw. I just can't.

I feel bad for you, and for the Reap if he's feeling as bad as he should right about now. If he's oblivious, or not sorry, then fuck him. Total scrub play.

Satch

Banned
Im finally playing orisa and i love her but i feel like her ult charges a lil on the slow side relative to what it does 🤔

Whats the percentage increase for dmg on it?

Edit: and why only 400 hp? Nothing about her justifies some of these things

Top Bottom