• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

antitrop

Top 5 are all healers :p

What would the order of easiest to kill to hardest to kill for support?
Zen
Mercy
Ana
Lucio
?
I think pocket Mercies are the easiest to kill, but if Mercy isn't just being one person's bitch for the entire game, I think I agree with your order.

Symmetra might fit in between Ana and Lucio.

Top 5 are all healers :p

What would the order of easiest to kill to hardest to kill for support?
Zen
Mercy
Ana
Lucio
?

All of the above have options to survive, which is nice.

Mercy has flight, but without a partner she's pretty dead. Her DPS is alright.

Lucio has speed boost and solid DPS, on top of health regen and wall climbing for amazing escapes.

Zen with headshots and Discord can kill people before they can kill him but he doesn't have means of escape outside of Ult.

Ana can sleep dart, and even with the nerf you can still kill a lot of the cast with the Dart -> Gun -> Grenade -> Gun combo. Her escape doesn't match Lucio or Mercy but she's got more options to disengage than Zen.

Symmetra (Lol) has a shield and a laser. You can't run but you can kill and dodge some attacks.

IMO, If I had to take everything into account I'd say:

1. Lucio
2. Ana
3. Mercy
4. Zen
5. Symmetra

Hey look, it's the same order as you listed lol. I think a great Mercy is harder to kill than a great Ana but a great Mercy still needs a team to help her get away. Ana can dart all on her own and disengage.

Jellie

I think pocket Mercies are the easiest to kill, but if Mercy isn't just being one person's bitch for the entire game, I think I agree with your order.

Zen has the worst hitbox in the game tho. Just a circle.
This just happened on Calvin's stream. It even says "Contesting Point". Complete bullshit.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedConfidentAlmondPunchTrees
Think that happens if the enemy team walks off the point at 99%.
All of the above have options to survive, which is nice.

Mercy has flight, but without a partner she's pretty dead. Her DPS is alright.

Lucio has speed boost and solid DPS, on top of health regen and wall climbing for amazing escapes.

Zen with headshots and Discord can kill people before they can kill him but he doesn't have means of escape outside of Ult.

Ana can sleep dart, and even with the nerf you can still kill a lot of the cast with the Dart -> Gun -> Grenade -> Gun combo. Her escape doesn't match Lucio or Mercy but she's got more options to disengage than Zen.

Symmetra (Lol) has a shield and a laser. You can't run but you can kill and dodge some attacks.

IMO, If I had to take everything into account I'd say:

1. Lucio
2. Ana
3. Mercy
4. Zen
5. Symmetra

Hey look, it's the same order as you listed lol. I think a great Mercy is harder to kill than a great Ana but a great Mercy still needs a team to help her get away. Ana can dart all on her own and disengage.
Didn't mention sym cos not a healer support but wouldn't put her last. Has that shield and her DPS is stupid.

Skii

Game has so many game changing/breaking bugs right now. Imagine something like that happens in a tournament

The mei ult one has been quite prevelant in my games

Even basic stuff like no warning when the timer is ticking down is so frustrating. Already lost a game this season directly because the team didnt realise the timer was ticking down. And this happens in a lot of games but usually someone is on the point or makes the call out but it's unacceptable something so basic hasn't been fixed yet.

This is true. Mercies who just standing there and heal or boost and have no layout of the battlefield are easiest to kill.

I Mercy main as well but have switched off to Lucio for pushing and KOTH... But I don't have the luck of the draw you do as my team is usually too inept to do a well coordinated push with boost.

So frustrating being support with terrible pushers... I know it's not easy but do your jobs!

Edit: Well look at that... Mercy is definitely in the meta for consoles...

ConsoleS4mains_1.png

Prelude.

Lowest input lag: full screen no V-sync. You will get tearing and stutter, but it is technically the best setup for hitscan and twitch shooters.

Borderless: your best option probably. Little input lag, less tearing and stable frame timings (less stutter). You might get fps drops depending on your hardware

Full screen v-sync: don't bother. Insane lag, no tearing and smooth experience; it might lock the framerate though.

G-sync monitor in full screen is probably the best setup you can get, but you need an Nvidia GPU.
Borderless seems to be the best option, If there's input lag it's not high enough to bother me. I also found out that you can check the delay in-game with the "SIM" value by pressing Ctrl+Shift+N, so I'll do some more testing later when I have better internet.

Borderless seems to be the best option, If there's input lag it's not high enough to bother me. I also found out that you can check the delay in-game with the "SIM" value by pressing Ctrl+Shift+N, so I'll do some more testing later when I have better internet.

Try fullscreen on V-sync with unlocked framerate first. If the tearing and stuttering is too much, switch to borderless but don't lock the fps unless the lock is close to the average of what you get. For example, if you are getting 70-90fps, don't lock it to 60fps because input lag is less at higher framerates, and it might be smoother too depending on your monitor (120hz or 144hz).

I personally don't like locking the framerate. You usually need to lock it at much lower values if you have large fluctuations in fps. I personally find unlocked fps smoother than something like 60fps on my 144hz monitor. The only exception is Fallout 4 locked to 100fps. For some reason, there is stutter on my G-sync monitor when I unlock the fps (Fallout 4 already breaks at higher frame rates though).

Borderless is fine though since you are not playing Counter Strike.

Tomorrow Morning is the
Meta Athena vs Lunatic Hai match up

Im so hyped😆
If you wanna get pumped you can read this cool article by Gosugamers
Walking the royal road: The cerebral warfare of Meta Athena

Some stuff:

Meta Athena are on a 21-match win-streak dating back to October 2016
In their last 30 matches, they have achieved 17 3-0 sweeps
Their total win record is 29-7, or 81%
In season two alone, including Challenger games, their map record is 54-10, or 84%
Since their win-streak began, they’ve gone to 3-2 only twice

But honestly read the full thing theres alot of stuff there that isnt just statistics.

Prelude.

Try fullscreen on V-sync with unlocked framerate first. If the tearing and stuttering is too much, switch to borderless but don't lock the fps unless the lock is close to the average of what you get. For example, if you are getting 70-90fps, don't lock it to 60fps because input lag is less at higher framerates, and it might be smoother too depending on your monitor (120hz or 144hz).

I personally don't like locking the framerate. You usually need to lock it at much lower values if you have large fluctuations in fps. I personally find unlocked fps smoother than something like 60fps on my 144hz monitor. The only exception is Fallout 4 locked to 100fps. For some reason, there is stutter on my G-sync monitor when I unlock the fps (Fallout 4 already breaks at higher frame rates though).

Borderless is fine though since you are not playing Counter Strike.
The framerate is way higher than my refresh rate since I'm on a 60hz monitor. I was thinking it of locking it because I don't think like 40 fps fluctuations are a particularly good thing. I didn't do a lot of testing in the actual maps since I got the card today, but I should be around 200 fps on medium settings. Ideally, where should lock the framerate? A few fps more than multiples of 60?

Owzers

You guys don't even know how good I am with Orisa because I've barely used her so far, I think we'll be fine.

"Owzers, I'm sorry I doubted you, and even though we lost and you never switched I saw you kill that tracer once and you did a great job"- you guys tmw.

The framerate is way higher than my refresh rate since I'm on a 60hz monitor. I was thinking it of locking it because I don't think like 40 fps fluctuations are a particularly good thing. I didn't do a lot of testing in the actual maps since I got the card today, but I should be around 200 fps on medium settings. Ideally, where should lock the framerate? A few fps more than multiples of 60?

Oh. Yeah you should lock it to 60fps (your refresh rate). I lock the framerate in all games via rivia tuner to 144Hz because basically above that is extra work for your GPU.

I'm pretty glad that I made Platinum prior to Orissa being released in Comp. I may quit comp altogether until next season. In all likelihood, if I wanted to reach Diamond, I would have to dedicate at least 50 more hours. It took me 28 hours to go from 1900 to 2500, and that was with some bonus SR at the beginning of the season.

I think I'll be messing around in quick play and trying to learn Genji and Zarya.

You guys don't even know how good I am with Orisa because I've barely used her so far, I think we'll be fine.

"Owzers, I'm sorry I doubted you, and even though we lost and you never switched I saw you kill that tracer once and you did a great job"- you guys tmw.

"What happened to Owzers? I think he's on hard drugs... He used to be a Rein main and he's not even good at that anymore."

Prelude.

Oh. Yeah you should lock it to 60fps (your refresh rate). I lock the framerate in all games via rivia tuner to 144Hz because basically above that is extra work for your GPU.
No, I mean, multiples of 60, like 120, 180. There's a benefit on making it run above the refresh rate on "competitive" games, since the more frames the gpu generates the more frames the monitor can choose from to display every 60th (in my case) of a second. Which means the game looks and feels smoother.

BigDug13

This is true. Mercies who just standing there and heal or boost and have no layout of the battlefield are easiest to kill.

I Mercy main as well but have switched off to Lucio for pushing and KOTH... But I don't have the luck of the draw you do as my team is usually too inept to do a well coordinated push with boost.

So frustrating being support with terrible pushers... I know it's not easy but do your jobs!

Edit: Well look at that... Mercy is definitely in the meta for consoles...

ConsoleS4mains_1.png

Mercy was never out of the meta on consoles. Relying on a sniper for healing while using two analog sticks to move and aim? Forget it. Mercy was never not the primary healer on consoles.

first gam to warm up. qp. Dorado Defense. decided to learn dva but that didn't work out. idk where the other team was so Pharah it was! i stream to have online backups. thank you youtube lol.

watching replays i have some terrible mistakes. especially decided to 1v1 orisa in a tight spot. i panicked when i should have melee'd her because she was 1 shot. landed an ult though waited for zen to get rid of his ult while i just floated above him and 2 others lol.

Mercy was never out of the meta on consoles. Relying on a sniper for healing while using two analog sticks to move and aim? Forget it. Mercy was never not the primary healer on consoles.
Truth, number of time I see them flat out miss 2-4 healing shots. Most just nade anything not a tank, waste.

MG310

Hm, didn't know Anubis would just keep going if both teams scored 2 each time.

I'm assuming my teammate didn't know either because he quit right after it showed 4-4 and then we ended up losing 6-4 :/

Also I'm seeing an absolute ton of offensive Torb and Widow today.

EDIT: Ended the night with a 4 gold Zenyatta loss on King's Row. Offensive Torb and Reinhardt who can't stop dashing and was at the 2nd checkpoint gate before we even cleared the arch where the payload launches.

Playing at lower ranks with my friends gets so frustrating. It seems like everyone wants to react with their ults as opposed to opening fights with them and it's just so bad. You let the enemy team set the tone of the engagement and force an issue as opposed to simply breaking their ability to fight as a team.

You spelled Genji wrong my guy.

A properly balanced melee class in an FPS is a lame concept? Woah.

LAM09

Return after a two week break and I wished I had stayed away. First match I play as Lucio with 5 DPS!

The lack of common sense is unreal at times

Swarna

SIM value has little to do with input lag or delay, it's literally 1 second divided by whatever your FPS is. It has nothing to do with your actual delay as a result of frames being postponed, monitor lag, etc.

Borderless is far from the best option.

If you're trying to climb the ladder with DPS heroes you need to suck up your discomfort with tearing. It's not a non-negligible amount at all. Even on borderless 144hz, where the input lag hit is going to be lower than on 60hz, you're going to be playing at much less than your full potential. The only reason I can think of for someone seeing little benefit would be if they're using a garbage high sensitivity to begin with and/or only playing heroes like mercy/winston/lucio/etc. That being said, tearing is basically a non-issue on higher refresh rates whereas it's super-visible on 60hz so I see where you're coming from. I would personally stick to full-screen no-vsync and use the tearing as motivation to invest in a higher refresh rate monitor in the future.

Also, you shouldn't get stutters at all with full-screen no-vsync. In fact, borderless introduces micro-stutter (judder) unless your frames are much higher than your refresh rate to the point where your GPU never misses a refresh.

Two weeks ago, I was getting really good with Rein and having insane stats with him in comp and even some QP games. I start practicing other characters (dive) and improving my fundamentals, and suddenly I turned into a stupid Rein that throws games.

I almost threw a game by getting aggressive toward the last seconds in defense. I somehow saved it by earth shattering and playing smart a bit too late. What I did was spam group up and try to earth shatter the other team while they rush to point A in Eichenwald. I go there fast and try to time an earth shatter, but I got picked instead. Then I made it to payload with teleporter and earth shattered whoever was there. I wasted like seven earth shatters these two days in the few matches I had.

Also, I just played really smart with Pharah. My team got wiped out by Genji sword and visor, but I escape while shitting on Genji with some rockets. I somehow managed to chip them for a bit and survive until my team came. I end the round with 12-0 miraculously in solo queue QP with only Lucio as a healer. Then I switch to Mercy because everyone went DPS...and I pissed off the other team. Their Genji literally decided to attack me only. I picked up some tips from you guys and kept flying all over the place while healing everyone that isn't ridiculously overextending. I didn't die once in both rounds, but I didn't rezz anyone as I feared it would be one of those moments where I go completely stupid with ult timing.

I don't know why my ult timing got really shit. Really bad decisions lately that I know I shouldn't do. My aim with Pharah is better with higher sensitivity too, but I feel like I am really good with her when I go ape shit aggressive with a team that does work instead of poking timidly; I run through teams if I have good healers. I don't know about Pharah honestly, because I can shoe-horn my way with her and attack those hitscans who won't expect it, but it is too much work to put in, and I run the risk of having teammates who have bad positioning and won't help with switching/countering their counters (I might get countered hard and have the match snowball from there). That is why I am starting to practice Tracer and Genji for dive once they start trying to counter my Pharah or if I feel she isn't optimal with the team comp.

SIM value has little to do with input lag or delay, it's literally 1 second divided by whatever your FPS is. It has nothing to do with your actual delay as a result of frames being postponed, monitor lag, etc.

Borderless is far from the best option.

If you're trying to climb the ladder with DPS heroes you need to suck up your discomfort with tearing. It's not a non-negligible amount at all. Even on borderless 144hz, where the input lag hit is going to be lower than on 60hz, you're going to be playing at much less than your full potential. The only reason I can think of for someone seeing little benefit would be if they're using a garbage high sensitivity to begin with and/or only playing heroes like mercy/winston/lucio/etc. That being said, tearing is basically a non-issue on higher refresh rates whereas it's super-visible on 60hz so I see where you're coming from. I would personally stick to full-screen no-vsync and use the tearing as motivation to invest in a higher refresh rate monitor in the future.

Also, you shouldn't get stutters at all with full-screen no-vsync. In fact, borderless introduces micro-stutter (judder) unless your frames are much higher than your refresh rate to the point where your GPU never misses a refresh.

Yeah basically this. Prelude you should get a higher referesh rate monitor. Something like a 200-240$ 144hz monitor, or at least 120Hz because at 60Hz, you are at a disadvantage, especially if you are playing hitscans and DPS. Heck, you might even miss some important heals if you are playing support.

I always play at fullscreen no V-sync, and try to get stable 144hz in any serious FPS like counter strike and OW. The latter is a bit more lenient since it has a low tickrate and projectile heroes.

I usually take sips of a water during respawn and I can't tell you how many times a Rez has caused me to spill it.

So you are telling me I should have kept the ult in case they pushed hard towards the last seconds? I thought I should revive someone so that we pressure them more. Well, that last second defensive pressure didn't work for me with Rein in the last match LOL; I always remember how pros try to pressure the other team towards the end, but I forgot it is solo queue QP with no voice comm.

I took a peak at one of your matches today LOL. I wanted to see you play Mercy but you switched to Soldier and got PoTG.

I kinda got served today with the troll Mercy healing shenanigans that I was doing earlier. I got Genji to a pixel of health, and somehow Winston's DPS wasn't enough to kill him vs Mercy's healing. I made sure that Mercy doesn't see the point in the next two rounds after she trolled me with that Genji.'

Prelude.

Well, I guess tomorrow I'll try fullscreen no v-sync and borderless reduce buffering and see if I notice a big difference in the input lag, if not, whatever. Tearing is a bigger issue in my opinion, it's pretty severe.
But it's not like I'm in Master or something, I don't think I'm gonna buy a newer monitor when my internet is probably giving me a disadvantage as well. I played hundreds of hours of OW and I know I basically have no chance of winning a peeking battle most of the times, or I just get shot even after running behind cover. I don't know if it's the ping (it's 62 at best) or what, but sometimes I feel like I have no time to react at all from the moment I see the enemy, and then, when I watch the kill cam, I'm just standing there long enough for the other guy to aim at me.

Afaik SIM should be the time it takes for the client to finish the tick, so, if OW is now on 60 tick, I think the SIM value should be under 16.66ms for the game to perform properly, no?

Playing Mercy is so relaxing.

Um, may I know what the hell do you do to stay relaxed? I just had a match doing 360s and flying everywhere healing the idiots and buffing anyone who has a decent positioning, AND avoiding an angry try-hard Genji who was probably quoting some anime character while trying to get rid of me.

LiK

Um, may I know what the hell do you do to stay relaxed? I just had a match doing 360s and flying everywhere healing the idiots and buffing anyone who has a decent positioning, AND avoiding an angry try-hard Genji who was probably quoting some anime character while trying to get rid of me.

LOL

Top Bottom