• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Owzers

I too followed this strict regiment, and saw results immediately. Thanks Anne!
Edit: good lord the win streak was real. Started off the night 3316. 243 SR for 4 games...

lpwFdZu.jpg

But seriously thank Owzers for the last two games to get me there!
Those were some fun games, same payload map twice, grats on turning pro. I followed Anne's guide by continuing to be Rein like every game for the past three seasons. Torb!

Oscar

Stuck in Gold.

50/50 shot of getting teammates that have no mics, and auto pick non-healers/tanks.

Usually stuck being the only healer or tank.

Been around since season 1, next time there's a sale i'm considering a new account to get out of this hole. My friend recently got into the game, and placed into high Platinum despite going 5-4-1 in his placements.

komaruR

Those were some fun games, same payload map twice, grats on turning pro. I followed Anne's guide by continuing to be Rein like every game for the past three seasons. Torb!
Work on your mind games for rein v rein and Ult tracking too?
Edit: good lord the win streak was real. Started off the night 3316. 243 SR for 4 games...

lpwFdZu.jpg

Your main out of our group's range now :( ?

ohkay

My 9 game win streak was finally brought to an end by a team blaming each other for every wipe, saying everyone sucks, etc. Thankfully, this is the only truly toxic game I've had this season.

Owzers

Don't ult into shield don't ult into shield don't ult into shield....

"Whoops"

Also I firestriked a reflecting genji, but I won both Rein-offs I believe, one in particular kept charging and dying whereas I only charged and died the minimum amount of allotted times.

komaruR

Don't ult into shield don't ult into shield don't ult into shield....

"Whoops"

Also I firestriked a reflecting genji, but I won both Rein-offs I believe, one in particular kept charging and dying whereas I only charged and died the minimum amount of allotted times.
Well mind games usually come more into play when you about to get ult. That's when you know the enemy rein might have ult too. Then it's to see if you can bait out and block his ult.

maomaoIYP

lpwFdZu.jpg

Wait a minute, doesn't competitive points max out at 6000? How do you have 7200 out of 6000?

Owzers

Well mind games usually come more into play when you about to get ult. That's when you know the enemy rein might have ult too. Then it's to see if you can bait out and block his ult.
I blocked one today doing my standard swing at him once or twice then throw my shield up quickly, my usual play.

Veelk

Banned
So I haven't played in a long while, like maybe a week or two, don't remember. Been mostly playing Horizon Zero Dawn, been fun.

Decided to try to pop Overwatch back in, play a few games, and see if I have any new insights.

My main one is this: Blizzard should take the nerf stick and stick it up Soldier's urethra (on console).

Edit: Maybe I'm just not used to her, but does Orisa suck or something?

Yeah good games, if I can help you guys out this week on my alt let me know!

Yes :( until you guys get there!

You would of been proud of owzers rein, he was tearing up the enemy reins. But a Genji deflected a fire strike which killed me when I had a Rez. It kept things interesting.

Wait a minute, doesn't competitive points max out at 6000? How do you have 7200 out of 6000?

I had it maxed out by the end of season 3 (6000) then when they gave out rewards, those bonus points are given regardless of you being maxed out.

MartyStu

So I haven't played in a long while, like maybe a week or two, don't remember. Been mostly playing Horizon Zero Dawn, been fun.

Decided to try to pop Overwatch back in, play a few games, and see if I have any new insights.

My main one is this: Blizzard should take the nerf stick and stick it up Soldier's urethra (on console).

Edit: Maybe I'm just not used to her, but does Orisa suck or something?

She sucks quite a bit. She is going to need significant buffs to compete with Reinhardt.

As for Soldier? Yeah, he could use a tweak, but mostly because he obsoletes McCree.

Veelk

Banned
She sucks quite a bit. She is going to need significant buffs to compete with Reinhardt.

As for Soldier? Yeah, he could use a tweak, but mostly because he obsoletes McCree.

I think he obsolete's all other DPS in general. Isn't picked more on console than every other Offense hero combined. Circumstantially, yeah, someone like Tracer might be better in niche situations, but he's far and away the best overall choice for choice for putting in sheer reliable damage.

I hate him.

That's sad to hear about Orisa. Is she just circumstantial, does she need a good team, or is she just objectively terrible for everybody? I haven't been following along here and I only had one game with her.

As for Reinhardt, I still think they should experiment with dropping his shield HP to a less ridiculous number if they really want to nerf him.

On a more positive note, these are the first few games I am playing with my non-fucked controller and while I see an improvement overall, HOLY CHRIST I CAN ACTUALLY USE GENJI AGAIN

jviggy43

Anne's boosted animal hero pick guide S4 edition:

Stuck in elo hell during this competitive season? Bad teammates got you down? Don't know which hero will help carry you to the stars? Let me help with that. These heroes are guaranteed to grant you 3k+ elo no problem. If you're favorite hero isn't on this list that doesn't mean they are too bad to pick. Probably. Sorry Reaper players.

Freelo tier:

Mercy: Rez buffs are hella real. This characters ability to survive and get off a high value rez is making or breaking tons of ranked games right now. So much so it's not uncommon to hear "we can't counter Mercy without our own Mercy" from my own teammates as they fail to get real value and maintain our own ult economy :^). Figure out who the best DPS player on your team is and live basically inside of them for minutes at a time until they die. Then just yell "die on point" and get that big value rez. (ask Antitrop how to actually play this character they know what's up)

Pharah: If Mercy is good, Pharah is probably also mad good. Ana is nerfed, more people are running dive heroes than hitscan, and you have a monkey buddy to help get in wherever you want. Seriously, you don't need to be named Mangachu or Valkia to make this hero work. If you can land rockets and just space decently, this character puts in crazy work. There are tons of team comps (read: dive) that are popular right now with no Pharah countermeasures on them, so don't be afraid to just go nuts.

Winston: Shield buff means that once you go in you can basically stay in forever now. If a DPS player on the enemy team has more mechanical skill than your entire team combined, don't worry. Pick up your gorilla friend and cause flashbacks to S3 D.Va all over again. Pair with a remotely competent Genji, Tracer, or Pharah just to be extra sure the enemy carry is removed from the game.

Season 3 Favorites:

Soldier: It's Soldier. He hurts. Pick him.

Reinhardt: Big square don't care. He's less good than last season because of all the flying monkeys, but he's still 1000x better than Orisa ever will be.

Zarya: Goes great with monkeys! Saves teammates from monkeys! That's enough to pick her nearly all the time still.

Tracer and Genji: These characters were already arguably better than Soldier in some situations, but with Winston being everywhere they just definitely are a good chunk of the time. Name a random character in team chat and be amazed as they disappear right before your eyes while never having swift strike on CD again. Tracer is a better tank buster than Reaper.
Lucio: #NerfLucio

Ana: #NerfAnaAgain

The "People thinking niche picks are dead" tier:

D.Va: lowkey broken again. DM buff is insane and she can negate several new things that she couldn't before. Big ones include Zarya, Roadhog, and even Genji. She's also very good with mobile dive comps because she has the best mobility in the game that nobody uses enough. She also murders Pharah. That last one is honestly enough to justify her existence right now.

McCree: People keep saying that McCree is murdered by dive. People also keep having very bad management of their flashbang cooldown. People keep standing in bad spots. With everything and their mom trying to jump on Mercy, flashbang is the god and M1 still "randomly" decides fights.

Widowmaker: Kills Pharah.

Zen: Dive is good, Pharah is good, thus Zen is good.

Addendum: Roadhog is still good at killing divers yeah pick him on defense.

In the holy words of caeser the former eu GAF OW lord:

I share all of these sentiments; this is great advice.

I think he obsolete's all other DPS in general. Isn't picked more on console than every other Offense hero combined. Circumstantially, yeah, someone like Tracer might be better in niche situations, but he's far and away the best overall choice for choice for putting in sheer reliable damage.

I hate him.

That's sad to hear about Orisa. Is she just circumstantial, does she need a good team, or is she just objectively terrible for everybody? I haven't been following along here and I only had one game with her.

As for Reinhardt, I still think they should experiment with dropping his shield HP to a less ridiculous number if they really want to nerf him.

On a more positive note, these are the first few games I am playing with my non-fucked controller and while I see an improvement overall, HOLY CHRIST I CAN ACTUALLY USE GENJI AGAIN

I think Orisa is okay if paired with Rein and a good healer. Her Ult pretty good.

Blues1990

I think Orisa is okay if paired with Rein and a good healer. Her Ult pretty good.

And this is the problem. Orisa is supposed to be an excellent alternative to Reinhardt (AKA, a Main Tank), but is incapable of the basic function at the job of tanking.

That's a major balance issue that needs to be addressed.

Banzai

2430. I'm slowly inching back towards plat. I'm basically winning one then losing one right after, except wins give maybe 5 more points than I lose. Sooo, roughly 28 games away from plat. I'm sure that'll work out.

Veelk

Banned
And this is the problem. Orisa is supposed to be an excellent alternative to Reinhardt (AKA, a Main Tank), but is incapable of the basic function at the job of tanking.

That's a major balance issue that needs to be addressed.

I have very limited time playing her, but the issue I see with her is that she can launch a stationary shield that is on a cooldown recharge that has 900hp. Reinhardt, on the other hand, has a shield that he can move to adapt to a situation that has 2000hp. There are advantages to being able to shoot out your shield ahead of you and all, but I feel that in more situations I'd do more being able to take my shield with me.

So, I feel with the mobility advantage, the numbers should be reversed and Reinhardt should have a weaker shield than Orisa.

Shahadan

I have very limited time playing her, but the issue I see with her is that she can launch a stationary shield that is on a cooldown recharge that has 900hp. Reinhardt, on the other hand, has a shield that he can move to adapt to a situation that has 2000hp. There are advantages to being able to shoot out your shield ahead of you and all, but I feel that in more situations I'd do more being able to take my shield with me.

So, I feel with the mobility advantage, the numbers should be reversed and Reinhardt should have a weaker shield than Orisa.

Wat. Orisa can shoot and move freely while behind the barrier, Reinhardt can't. It only makes sense her shield has less hp.
Also she has the gravity thing to move people back to the front of her barrier. It would be a nightmare if it had 2k hp

Veelk

Banned
Wat. Orisa can shoot and move freely while behind the barrier, Reinhardt can't. It only makes sense her shield has less hp.
Also she has the gravity thing to move people back to the front of her barrier. It would be a nightmare if it had 2k hp
I said the advantage should be reversed, not the exact numbers. Meaning Orisa's shield HP should be greater, but I don't know by how much.

Other than that, I am just offering a very big noobie's opinion. Today was my first time playing since before Orisa was released, so I only have a few games with her. She doesn't seem that effective to me, but others seem to have concluded similarly that she needs work. 2000hp would be overkill, but I definitely consider Reinhardt the superior shield carrier because he actually carries the shield, something far more effective than what Orisa seems to be doing despite being able to use her gun.

But I've also been arguing for a general reduction of Reinhardt's shield HP for a while anyway, so that's another part of it. But with Winston's Dive comp rising, I wonder if that's as necessary as it was before. I'm curious to see how much his Barrier buff really helps him out.

Cappa

Banned
Instead of my sr going up it keeps going down..... I either need to get good with Pharah and Winston because I can't carry with s76 anymore it seems.
Saw you guys on around 10pm est but you all logged out

Trickster

Stuck in Gold.

50/50 shot of getting teammates that have no mics, and auto pick non-healers/tanks.

Usually stuck being the only healer or tank.

Been around since season 1, next time there's a sale i'm considering a new account to get out of this hole. My friend recently got into the game, and placed into high Platinum despite going 5-4-1 in his placements.

I honestly think most of what you describe is common in most ranks. I got placed in mid gold, now close to diamond after around 80 games. I don't use a mic, nor does most people I get grouped with(well, they might say hello at the start of the game, but then they are silent during the game itself). I tend to be one of the people that wait to see what people pick in most games, and 9/10 times I have to pick a healer or tanky hero. However I would stress that I think it's more important to pick a hero you are good with, rather than what might be the best hero in paper.

Ultimately I don't want to say anything definitively, but if you've been around since season 1, and have hovered somewhere in the gold rank, it's most likely that gold is where your level of play is at.

Instead of my sr going up it keeps going down..... I either need to get good with Pharah and Winston because I can't carry with s76 anymore it seems.

You could always carry with a healer? :p

I've had great success with Orisa paired with Zarya, at least on defense from what I can remember. When Orisa's shield breaks, Zarya bubbles the Orisa, then Orisa Fortifies after the bubble drops. Zarya can also take the heat for a second with her self-bubble. With some Mercy/Ana healing, the tanks should be able to hold until Orisa's shield is back off CD. During the whole thing, Orisa is dealing constant DPS with that sweet 150 clip and disrupting the enemy's formation with Halt! Rinse and repeat.

Obviously it's not perfect, requires a bit more coordination that just holding up your Rein shield and your Zarya to have your back. But I feel like I contribute a lot more with Orisa on defense than I do with Rein, and I'm a lot more consistent.

Not saying she can replace Rein, but she does have at least one more tank she can pair with other than Rein, from my experience.

Edit: I'd like to try Orisa with a Winston who stays at the hold point. D.Va and Road wouldn't work because of enemy CCs, but Winston's shield, especially with the CD buff, would work better against that. Have him save his bubble only for when Orisa's shield breaks. Probably wouldn't be great, but might be worth experimenting with.

Jellie

I've had great success with Orisa paired with Zarya, at least on defense from what I can remember. When Orisa's shield breaks, Zarya bubbles the Orisa, then Orisa Fortifies after the bubble drops. Zarya can also take the heat for a second with her self-bubble. With some Mercy/Ana healing, the tanks should be able to hold until Orisa's shield is back off CD. During the whole thing, Orisa is dealing constant DPS with that sweet 150 clip and disrupting the enemy's formation with Halt! Rinse and repeat.

Obviously it's not perfect, requires a bit more coordination that just holding up your Rein shield and your Zarya to have your back. But I feel like I contribute a lot more with Orisa on defense than I do with Rein, and I'm a lot more consistent.

Not saying she can replace Rein, but she does have at least one more tank she can pair with other than Rein, from my experience.
When I play Zarya I don't like playing with orisa. Hard to get charge off her and some put their barriers in front of me when I go to get charge.

Trickster

Watching harbleu stream currently. Roadhog is by far my best hero, but I didn't realize you could headshot people after hooking them like he's doing. Gonna practice that a bit after a work, would make it much easier to get kills on tanky heroes.

Anne

My opinion of Orisa has progressed to the point where I think she is butt cheeks tier but situationally she's hilariously awesome.

When I play Zarya I don't like playing with orisa. Hard to get charge off her and some put their barriers in front of me when I go to get charge.

I'm probably guilty of the first one, don't always notice when I get bubbled and I've probably wasted some just hiding behind my shield. I feel like D.Va has a similar problem with DM.

My opinion of Orisa has progressed to the point where I think she is butt cheeks tier but situationally she's hilariously awesome.

Halt is too fun for me. Soldier thinking he can sneak through the choke after his team's initiated? Nah let me finish you off. Bastion up top thinking he's safe? Get down here boy. I'm sure fun plays with it are harder to pull off at your rank, but 2500-3000 on console has been a blast providing me with people who don't know how to react to the green ball coming at them.

NeoRaider

Whatever Blizzard has planned for Overwatch next week is “one of the best things” the studio’s worked on since launch

The teaser was short and very cryptic, and fans are not sure exactly what it’s building up to, but Blizzard feels really good about it.

So much so that lead character artist Renaud Galand called it “one of the best things” the studio has worked on since launch. Though that still doesn’t tell us much, it sounds like whatever it is will be worth paying attention to.

Let's see. I am getting excited tbh.

AngryMoth

What kind of changes do you think would make her more viable? Just more armour or something?

Random idea: I think it would be kind of cool if her alt fire warped the trajectory of nearby bullets/projectiles as a way for her to protect the team from more damage.

TrueBlue

I figured I'd try Winston on QP yesterday, since I've seen him become a more common pick recently. It was Attack on King's Row.

The other team are holding the bottleneck quite well. So I figure to jump off the hotel and land on the point with shield up. About four enemy heroes zerg rush me, presumably freeing up space for my team to exploit and push.

...but they don't! They just stay there and don't even try to pressure the other team. The annoying thing was I actually secured the first third of the capture using this tactic alone.

Oh well...

Banzai

I figured I'd try Winston on QP yesterday, since I've seen him become a more common pick recently. It was Attack on King's Row.

The other team are holding the bottleneck quite well. So I figure to jump off the hotel and land on the point with shield up. About four enemy heroes zerg rush me, presumably freeing up space for my team to exploit and push.

...but they don't! They just stay there and don't even try to pressure the other team. The annoying thing was I actually secured the first third of the capture using this tactic alone.

Oh well...

That's why you need communication. From my experience non-flankers are very reluctant to push past a choke if the enemy Rein is still protecting it.

DevilDog

Anne's boosted animal hero pick guide S4 edition:

Stuck in elo hell during this competitive season? Bad teammates got you down? Don't know which hero will help carry you to the stars? Let me help with that. These heroes are guaranteed to grant you 3k+ elo no problem. If your favorite hero isn't on this list that doesn't mean they are too bad to pick. Probably. Sorry Reaper players.

Freelo tier:

Mercy: Rez buffs are hella real. This characters ability to survive and get off a high value rez is making or breaking tons of ranked games right now. So much so it's not uncommon to hear "we can't counter Mercy without our own Mercy" from my own teammates as they fail to get real value and maintain our own ult economy :^). Figure out who the best DPS player on your team is and live basically inside of them for minutes at a time until they die. Then just yell "die on point" and get that big value rez. (ask Antitrop how to actually play this character they know what's up)

Pharah: If Mercy is good, Pharah is probably also mad good. Ana is nerfed, more people are running dive heroes than hitscan, and you have a monkey buddy to help get in wherever you want. Seriously, you don't need to be named Mangachu or Valkia to make this hero work. If you can land rockets and just space decently, this character puts in crazy work. There are tons of team comps (read: dive) that are popular right now with no Pharah countermeasures on them, so don't be afraid to just go nuts.

Winston: Shield buff means that once you go in you can basically stay in forever now. If a DPS player on the enemy team has more mechanical skill than your entire team combined, don't worry. Pick up your gorilla friend and cause flashbacks to S3 D.Va all over again. Pair with a remotely competent Genji, Tracer, or Pharah just to be extra sure the enemy carry is removed from the game.

Season 3 Favorites:

Soldier: It's Soldier. He hurts. Pick him.

Reinhardt: Big square don't care. He's less good than last season because of all the flying monkeys, but he's still 1000x better than Orisa ever will be.

Zarya: Goes great with monkeys! Saves teammates from monkeys! That's enough to pick her nearly all the time still.

Tracer and Genji: These characters were already arguably better than Soldier in some situations, but with Winston being everywhere they just definitely are a good chunk of the time. Name a random character in team chat and be amazed as they disappear right before your eyes while never having swift strike on CD again. Tracer is a better tank buster than Reaper.
Lucio: #NerfLucio

Ana: #NerfAnaAgain

The "People thinking niche picks are dead" tier:

D.Va: lowkey broken again. DM buff is insane and she can negate several new things that she couldn't before. Big ones include Zarya, Roadhog, and even Genji. She's also very good with mobile dive comps because she has the best mobility in the game that nobody uses enough. She also murders Pharah. That last one is honestly enough to justify her existence right now.

McCree: People keep saying that McCree is murdered by dive. People also keep having very bad management of their flashbang cooldown. People keep standing in bad spots. With everything and their mom trying to jump on Mercy, flashbang is the god and M1 still "randomly" decides fights.

Widowmaker: Kills Pharah.

Zen: Dive is good, Pharah is good, thus Zen is good.

Addendum: Roadhog is still good at killing divers yeah pick him on defense.

In the holy words of caeser the former eu GAF OW lord:

Reposting for visibility

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I do think Mercy's Rez will get a nerf. The rez right now is way too much of a solo game changer. Longer to charge or shorter range on it. Where teams have to die either much closer to each other, or it can't be built up in basically a minute round.

I do think Mercy's Rez will get a nerf. The rez right now is way too much of a solo game changer. Longer to charge or shorter range on it. Where teams have to die either much closer to each other, or it can't be built up in basically a minute round.

God I hope not.

Chance

It's already constrained by being the most situational ult in the game. No other hero has an ult that they literally cannot use - as in pressing Q does nothing - without certain criteria already existing on the field.

Wanna' combat rez? Kill Mercy first

or

Bait it out with a double kill - any Mercy worth her salt will pop it for a 2x - then wipe 'em.

Its previous incarnation rendered Mercy C orB tier because no other hero had an ult that was the equivalent of walking onto the point, putting a gun to their own head and saying to their team "make it count - I'll be right back!" Bang!

Top Bottom