• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXBMUK reviews Outrun2,CM2005, FABLE etc.

Pug

Fable gates a 9.4/10
Burnout 3 gets 9.4/10
Outrun2 8.5/10 the only negative for the game is that the challenges are all very similar.
TW PGA 2005 8.7/10
CM 2005 8.5
Silaent Hill 4 7.0/10
Kindom uner fire crusaders 8.9/10
Madden 2005 8.5/10
Headhunter redemption 5.8/10
Vietcong Purple Haze 7.7/10
Conflict Vietnam 8.5/10
Wings of War 6.2

There a massive HALO2 section, all based on the multiplayer maps. There is an hint that some of the old multiplayer maps from halo may make into halo2. There also a description of the Waterworks level which, has loads of flying around and stalactities are dotting around much of the level. shot the stalactites and watch them send your enemy to there doom.

segasonic

Hmm, there is a very recent posting by one of the Outrun 2 developers on Gamefaqs, that specifically states how they're still adding new features to Outrun 2, like more animations on the Daytona and Scud Race tracks.

So OXM UK's Outrun review is apparently based on beta code.

credibility -100

Edit: I guess their credibility had already vanished, when they gave Blinx a 9/10...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
segasonic said:
Hmm, there is a very recent posting by one of the Outrun 2 developers on Gamefaqs, that specifically states how they're still adding new features to Outrun 2, like more animations on the Daytona and Scud Race tracks.

So OXM UK's Outrun review is apparently based on beta code.

credibility -100

Edit: I guess their credibility had already vanished, when they gave Blinx a 9/10...

:lol That's the FIRST thing I thought when I read those scores. Game;s not even done yet
opahit.gif

aku:jiki

Ghost said:
Outrun 2 devs post on GAMEFAQS?
He means Sumo Digital, obviously. And western devs hanging out on boards for their games isn't a rarity.

But I don't get the OR2 score either. Only minus is repetetive challenges, but that warrants a 1.5 drop? Guess I'd have to read the review or something...

Sjoerd

Come guys 90% of magazine reviews are based on unfinal code. Don't act suprised now!

I used to subscribe to pcgamer uk when I didn't knew the internet existed. I don't exactly remember the titles but some games came out months after their review... A sad thing but that's how magazines have to work if they still want their subscribers.

f**k! Well then they can keep their game. I wonder why EA decided to not let european gamers play online anything other than fifa. What a disappointment.

1) i don't see how 8.5 could even be considered a bad score or something in that manner
2) i don't see how Outrun 2 could come close to Burnout 3 scorewise, there has to be some sort of margin
3) i will still play them both :D

Pug

Just to let you all know Outrun2 that was reviewd was is and was the complete game. its 100% finsihed and the code reviewed is the finished version. From the months of Sega Europe.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Picked up my Outrun 2 demo today. I'm obviously not the right person to review it, but it gets a big shiny Meh from me.

Pug

KyotoMecca, That completely wrong, the OXMUK has a legal obligation to review Finished games for the PAL region. Most magazines also review, review copy which is the final code deemed so by the publishers.

I yslef stopped looking at magazines reviews as the final word a long time ago. Iam getting Outrun 2 over Burnout 3, no matter what.

Pug

Sonic, in the review it states many times its a great game, oh and Live is implimented very well apparently as are the multiplayer options.

Are you guys joking?

It is a fact that 75% of games are reviewed in magazines in near-final and not 100% final state, with notes about any tweaks or additions that will be made, or bugs that will be ironed out. Otherwise often they would never get reviewed in time. I am not making this up for the fun of it, it's something I just know to be true. As for "legal obligation", there is no such obligation whatsoever.

KyotoMecca said:
Are you guys joking?

It is a fact that 75% of games are reviewed in magazines in near-final and not 100% final state, with notes about any tweaks or additions that will be made, or bugs that will be ironed out. Otherwise often they would never get reviewed in time. I am not making this up for the fun of it, it's something I just know to be true. As for "legal obligation", there is no such obligation whatsoever.
How many mags do you write for?

'Cause I write for one and it's nowhere near as frequent as you make it sound. If there are differences, they're minor ones like minimal tweaking to bugs and such. What they're talking about this thread is the fact that OR2 -- in the state OXM assumedly (did I make that word up?) played it -- wasn't near completion when it was reviewed.

Point is, yeah, most magazine reviews are made on like 95% complete code rather than 100%. That's just not relevant to this thread, however.

aku:jiki said:
How many mags do you write for?

'Cause I write for one and it's nowhere near as frequent as you make it sound. If there are differences, they're minor ones like minimal tweaking to bugs and such. What they're talking about this thread is the fact that OR2 -- in the state OXM assumedly (did I make that word up?) played it -- wasn't near completion when it was reviewed.

Point is, yeah, most magazine reviews are made on like 95% complete code rather than 100%. That's just not relevant to this thread, however.

Fine, but people here thinking that all games are reviewed as final on-shelves product are wrong.

Perhaps not as many as I suggested, but certainly exclusives and the like. I could name several games right now, all very major releases, that were reviewed incomplete, one very recent (yet to be published) example would shock everyone here guaranteed, but that would just be unprofessional.

KyotoMecca said:
Fine, but people here thinking that all games are reviewed as final on-shelves product are wrong.
No, don't get me wrong. You're mostly right. There are a lot of misconceptions about how reviews are made among the readers. For example, most people seem to think we beat and scour through every damn game that gets published too. That's just nuts.

A lot of the time it's the publishers though. Like the promo for WRC2, I think it was, that had completely different handling than the final ended up with. That's just stupid.

segasonic

KyotoMecca said:
Are you guys joking?

Well, you said ALL games. And that's not true. There are also magazines which use preview code for their reviews without permission from the publishers. What I'm trying to say is: Not all magazines are the same...

Alex Anderson said:
WHAT?? YOU DON'T COLLECT ALL 84839 POKEYMAN??
Of course I do!

I stayed up for 102 hours straight so I could write a proper review of Pokemon and score me a fat $50 paycheck!

metdroid said:
Why is everyone convinced that outrun is great, when, as you say, it hasn't even been completed yet?
Because of the arcade version?

Personally, I'm convinced because I have an unfinished preview copy. The transition from arcade to Xbox is sublime, and the new stuff is great (albeit busted in my copy, so I'm waiting for retail release as much as the next guy!).

Pug

In the OXBMUK reviews guide, they state " Every game we review is from the PAL region and the finalised game. Outrun2 has been reviewed by two UK magazines from two different publishers. The game is finished and has nothing to do with the Arcade game, they talk about Live and the differing game types. Tell you what contact the guys at the OXBMUK they reply to many mails and something as fundemantal as reviewing an unfinished game will get a quick response.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
aku:jiki said:
Of course I do!

I stayed up for 102 hours straight so I could write a proper review of Pokemon and score me a fat $50 paycheck!
LOL

Real anecdote:

Boss: Here you have a PREVIEW copy of [insert RPG name here] I want the review in time for the deadline.

Me: Hey, that's in three days.

Boss: Yeah, you better hurry.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
KyotoMecca said:
I could name several games right now, all very major releases, that were reviewed incomplete, one very recent (yet to be published) example would shock everyone here guaranteed, but that would just be unprofessional.

I love when people "half name drop" and then pull back like... well I can't REALLY tell you.... classic.

JMPovoa

Judging by the demo, Outrun2 can never get 9 or higher in today's standards. It's gameplay is too damn basic. A game like Burnout (2 or 3) is way more complete and fun.
And the graphics (don't ask me why) look like they're running in a lower res than, say PGR2. (lack of mip mapping maybe) Everything looks a bit grainy at a distance. Jaggies galore. Sort of the same look games as Gun Valkyrie and Panzer Dragoon ORTA did (all SEGA, coincidence?)

metdroid said:
Why is everyone convinced that outrun is great, when, as you say, it hasn't even been completed yet?

Because it's fucking ace and owns every single poster on this board.

It is basically finished now. Hence my "reviewed at 95% complete" rant.

But the versions the mags reviewed was incomplete. Only a bit. Not that it fucking matters, it's just the principle of gamers being LIED TO by mags all the time. They have to, it's no big deal. But as segasonic points out: NOT ALL MAGS. But, most.

Shinobi

metdroid said:

There's an arcade version to sample genius. Can you say that for say, GTA: San Andreas? Which has already been given GOTY status?

Think before you speak.

Top Bottom