• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nice game, but I don't feel the incentive to keep playing. achievements were too easy and the scores.... I dunno, it's too hard to see who your nearest competitor on your friends list is.

Pinball FX does the score chase MUCH better and it has taken all my pacman time.

am i the only one who sees a generic green 'xbox live arcade' boxart for this game in my library? there is a boxart for it in the marketplace tile.

Brashnir

Narpas Sword0 said:
am i the only one who sees a generic green 'xbox live arcade' boxart for this game in my library? there is a boxart for it in the marketplace tile.

yeah, everyone gets that. the boxart shoes up everywhere else, but not there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, I have to be more careful when I play this. Last time I looked at the clock it was...well, seven hours ago. Holy fuck.

Also, 47th ranked overall now. :D

Ranked 210th overall out of about 24,000 people (PS3).

Still can do a bit better, though. I just played for 4 hours straight. Fell into a trance and lost track of time. Just zoned out.

squall211

So much fun.....Championship II is my favorite board by far. I think I'm ranked 120ish on the 5 min. score attack and 60th or so on 10m.

Skilletor

Could somebody explain the difference between junction/championship/etc.

I'm kind of just playing and having fun, but they all seem the same.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Skilletor said:
Could somebody explain the difference between junction/championship/etc.

I'm kind of just playing and having fun, but they all seem the same.
Erm? They all follow the same game mechanics, but they're totally different layouts.

Sort of like stages in Mario, or tracks in a racing game or... content in basically every game ever?

1000Hurts

Neo Member
Still ranked #1 overall on PSN :D

Only major hurdle right now is trying to break 2 mil on the 5 minute run of Championship II. After you play this enough, you realize that the ghosts nor the speed nor even the controls are your worst enemy, it's the TIME. Figuring out that 'perfect' pattern is a long and arduous process.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
1000Hurts said:
I got up to 14th spot but havent played for like 2 days now. I'm still gonna get you though :p

Roto13

Spent this morning getting S ranks on all courses. :p I'm ranked 58 overall on PSN.

What's with all the cheaters in the Darkness time trials? :/

Billmaan

Neo Member
Roto13 said:
Spent this morning getting S ranks on all courses. :p I'm ranked 58 overall on PSN.

What's with all the cheaters in the Darkness time trials? :/
It's not cheating. The leaderboard is broken (or at least it's broken on Xbox Live; I assume the same is true of PSN).

The overall Time Trial (Short) leaderboard is broken as well.

RyanDG

1000Hurts said:

Only major hurdle right now is trying to break 2 mil on the 5 minute run of Championship II. After you play this enough, you realize that the ghosts nor the speed nor even the controls are your worst enemy, it's the TIME. Figuring out that 'perfect' pattern is a long and arduous process.

Yeah... I'm sitting at like 1,924,000 or so in Championship 2 on the PS3 version. I can't seem to figure out the way to shave off more time right now. I've avoided watching people's replays but when I saw that 2mil one pop up that was extremely tempting to view (even thought I stopped myself before doing it).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm only missing the clear all time trials trophy to get 100%. This game is so much fun. It's so addicting trying to beat all your friend's scores.

mokeyjoe

One thing I like about this game is that it's pretty easy. On my first go when I downloaded it I unlocked 5 achievements! And I played through the beginner, normal and expert modes (on Championship II) without losing a life first time. And I'm a pretty mediocre gamer.

Many of these new-age retro games just delight in being rock hard, but this is a really chilled out experience. I'm not saying the high scores are easy - that's moving it up a level, but the fact the game doesn't punish you much makes it very easy to relax into.

Played this off the back of the excellent XBLIG Fluid, and I feel confident saying that dot eating games are the new twin stick shooters.

Rewrite said:
I'm only missing the clear all time trials trophy to get 100%. This game is so much fun. It's so addicting trying to beat all your friend's scores.
Eh? Sounds like the trophies are more well thought out than the achievements. There could have been MUCH better achievements in this.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
RadarScope1 said:
Eh? Sounds like the trophies are more well thought out than the achievements. There could have been MUCH better achievements in this.
Well, they do have the same trophies/achievements. It just seems that we got two extra trophies, which are clear every course's score attack & time trial. How weird. I also think they could have been better, but I'm not complaining. They're all do-able and feel right.

CozMick

Banned
I'm interested in buying this game on PSN.

I downloaded and played the Championship II 5 minute trial, with less than 30 seconds left the game froze on me and required a hard reset.

Does this happen the full game?

Thanks

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ranked 34th now! :D

Think I'm gonna take a break for a while, though. It's getting to the point where I don't feel like I can do much better.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
CozMick said:

I downloaded and played the Championship II 5 minute trial, with less than 30 seconds left the game froze on me and required a hard reset.

Thanks
I have not once gotten a freeze and I've been playing it since last week.

duckroll

CozMick said:

Thanks

Yes. I'm sure it can happen in the full game. It's not common, but I've gotten one hard lockup on the game too. I was playing Highway 10 minute Score Attack, and once I got to the upper left corner and just stopped to wait for the ghost train to catch up a little before continuing, and it just froze there.

CozMick

Banned
Rewrite, duckroll, Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

As long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis I'll pick it up, looks gorgeous and plays just as good.

duckroll

Yeah, the game's really fun and the presentation is obscene. I really can't wait to see what the other Namco Generations games look like.

Epcott

I love this game... I never thought it would grace the PSN.

I hope they do the same for Galaga Legions, which looks confusing/sexy as hell I might add :lol

i keep playing it.

because it is the best game released this year.

i am not good, but i am so addicted to pushing that high score higher and higher...

Mindlog

Billmaan said:
If you just want to beat the default high score, all you have to do is build a max-length ghost chain. That'll give you 30 right off the bat.

I already said that :p

Now spill the beans on crossing 200 ghosts on CEII. Do you first build a power pill ghost train?

I've been shaving hundreths of a second of my short times. Soon I'll get back to trying to top my high scores.

Ranked 168th. I'm aiming to crack the top 100 then I'll take a break for a few weeks. I work from home and this game is killing my productivity.

: |

CozMick

Banned
Well, better late than never, finally bought it after hours and hours of pondering and playing Dead Nation.

Great game, very, very addictive!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Is this a d-pad oriented game, or analog stick? If the former, I'll grab on PSN. If the latter, XBL so I can compete with friends.

duckroll

Mutagenic said:
Is this a d-pad oriented game, or analog stick? If the former, I'll grab on PSN. If the latter, XBL so I can compete with friends.

I've heard some people say it plays fine (or better) with the 360 analog, but as an owner of the PSN version I don't feel it is natural to play it with anything other than a d-pad. Just my two cents.

Skilletor

Shig said:
Erm? They all follow the same game mechanics, but they're totally different layouts.

Sort of like stages in Mario, or tracks in a racing game or... content in basically every game ever?

Oh. I thought they were names for different game modes. :lol

Thanks for the condescension, though. :)

duckroll said:
I've heard some people say it plays fine (or better) with the 360 analog, but as an owner of the PSN version I don't feel it is natural to play it with anything other than a d-pad. Just my two cents.

Analog stick. See post #502.

duckroll

RadarScope1 said:

But I honestly don't see how the analog stick is "better" in this case, especially when you take into consideration how the game is designed. You can change directions before even hitting a branch, so with the d-pad I can input commands well in advance and plan subsequent moves with a high level of accuracy with digital input.

I'm not saying that others can't do the same with an analog if they're used to it, but there's seriously no way in practice that it is particularly better aside from a preference in control style.

Well, I don't think I ever said the analog stick was better, just that it works and works well. I suppose what I was trying to do was head off the foregone conclusion that many GAFers seemed to have: that this game is just DYING for a good d-pad or arcade stick. If that works for you, hey, great, but it's not a necessity to enjoy the game or even get world-class scores.

I just really would hate to see people avoid the game entirely because the 360 has a shit d-pad and they think the analog won't cut it.

Mindlog

Yeah, it's probably just a comfort thing.

I was ranked overall 75 out of 40k with the 360 analog stick.

Ask Bill what he uses. If he's the same guy last I saw he was ranked 2.

duckroll

RadarScope1 said:
Well, I don't think I ever said the analog stick was better, just that it works and works well. I suppose what I was trying to do was head off the foregone conclusion that many GAFers seemed to have: that this game is just DYING for a good d-pad or arcade stick. If that works for you, hey, great, but it's not a necessity to enjoy the game or even get world-class scores.

I just really would hate to see people avoid the game entirely because the 360 has a shit d-pad and they think the analog won't cut it.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I don't think anyone should avoid this game for any reason at all though. As long as you own a console which has the game, there's no reason at all to not buy the game. It's so awesome!

RadarScope1 said:

I played the demo with this:

ps3_remote.jpg

and it wasn't too bad :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Analog all the way for me. Last I checked I was ranked 36th overall out of 25,000+ on PSN, and I haven't used the d-pad once.

turnbuckle

Mutagenic said:

I played the original CE a ton on the 360 but ultimately ended up using those SFIV gamepads to actually play without feeling like the controller was my obstacle. I decided to get it for the PS3 this time because, for me, this is definitely a dpad game. Analog can certainly be used, but I never feel a precise when doing so.

1000Hurts

Neo Member
Welp I finally got dethroned from #1 overall today. Was knocked down to 2, played a bit and went back to 1 and a few hours later I noticed I got bumped down to 3.

Oh and... if you're wondering... D-Pad all the way. :D

Edgeward

After getting oh so close but no dice on Championship II for the 2 mil trophy, one whirl around the highway course easily rectified that.

No it's just time trials and score attacks left to 100%, and that sounds really easy given what I've played so far. Which is good news for me. :D

k.rad

Neo Member
I'm a huge fan of this game, and it's been the first game to ever get me actively participating in online leaderboards (I've been hooked on the 5 minute score attack). The first time I cracked the top 20 I got a serious adrenalin rush as the timer ticked down below one minute and I knew I was doing pretty well, but just had to hold it together a little longer. Great stuff :)

The best I've done so far was ranking 3rd on Dungeon and Manhattan yesterday (PSN, 5min score attack), but those rankings didn't last very long, and things are starting to get pretty hardcore now. I'm sure I could crack two million points though... just hit that select button two times, once again :) (Excellent implementation of game restart.)

I only just cottoned on to the 30 ghost maximum for the ghost train -- thanks to the Namco news feature -- and I wish it was easier to tell when you're at the limit. Maybe if the train changed colour or something. It's too damn hard to notice the ghost's eyeballs bouncing off the train when you're speeding, though I did only start looking for it today. Does anyone have a recommendation for a visual setting that makes it easier to notice?

As for the d-pad vs analogue thing, I've ended up preferring the analogue stick on the PS3 to the d-pad. It just seems more fluid to me when doing fast, multiple corners, or when doing a quick 'snatch, eat and keep running'.
I've also played with a Hori V3-SA arcade stick with the gate switched to four way and I can't decide if I prefer that or the analogue stick, but 360 players shouldn't fear anyway. Analogue stick plays great and a good d-pad is definitely not a necessity.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've always used the d-pad when I play. I find the analog stick to be weird for me and I tend to make too many mistakes that force me to use bombs, when normally had I been using the d-pad, would not happen. Getting a higher place in the leaderboards is so addicting and it always feels so satisfying when you progress, even with the slightest of points. :D Game of the forever, man.

Also, I'm a HUGE fan of the Darkness mazes and the original Championship Edition maze. The original CE maze changes everything about DX, which is awesome.

Top Bottom