• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Koroviev

I'm sad i ultimately didn't get to play much today due to various circumstances. Too tired to do so now, but I'm gonna peel so many stickers tomorrow, you guys.

I know that feel :(

Trying to finish writing a program before bed, then have to be up at 4:30 and commute to work by 6:00.

So I decided to take the plunge and downloaded a copy from the eShop. I've put about two hours in so far, just completed world 1-3, and the game is fantastic! Love the art style and the 3-D effects. The battle system is fun even though I do miss EXP points. Looking forward to digging deeper as I've been jonsing for a deep RPG/adventure for the 3DS.

Question though, what is the Leaf sticker for? The description says to take it to shop where it's worth 50 coins, but what else is it used for?

So I decided to take the plunge and downloaded a copy from the eShop. I've put about two hours in so far, just completed world 1-3, and the game is fantastic! Love the art style and the 3-D effects. The battle system is fun even though I do miss EXP points. Looking forward to digging deeper as I've been jonsing for a deep RPG/adventure for the 3DS.

Question though, what is the Leaf sticker for? The description says to take it to shop where it's worth 50 coins, but what else is it used for?

From what I understand, it increases odds for stuff like Excellents or something. There's a Shiny Leaf and normal leaf, the Shiny leaf is just for selling since it's not any better than a normal leaf sticker.

Roto13

There are certain places you can stick it to turn it into an item box that has some decent attack stickers in it.

Excellents aren't random. :p They just mean you did the action command accurately.

Yuterald

Fart, I just got a game over after not saving in awhile in 2-1 because I tested to see if there was anything below the quicksand. I was legitimately shocked to see my health drop to zero. =0

G-Pink

Oh my lord, the MUSIC in this game. Just picked it up from the eShop after watching the GB Quick Look, and I can't get over how amazing the tunes are. I'm legitimately bobbing my head as I play. This game needs to pick up some awards for the music alone.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i had cancelled my newegg preorder after reading negative impressions but then i was at target today and just bought it. the game is really good! i was bummed about no XP and some of the other stuff but ive played it for a couple hours and i like the game a lot. funny dialog, good graphics and i actually like the sticker mechanism. still would kind of like the game to lean a little bit more on the traditional RPG side with XP and leveling up but the fact is that is a small nitpick for me after playing the game which i never thought i'd say

It's Super Paper Mario done right.

Super Paper Mario felt like an RPG that really really really wanted to be a platformer/adventure but they couldn't kick old habits in terms of game design, so the final product came out kind of awkward.

This feels like a blend of adventure/RPG that Super Paper Mario was striving for. An old LucasArts title blended with an RPG.

Also, I'm loving the music. Sort of a ragtime/jazz blend. Decalburg theme <3

TreIII

Ha, that happened to me too :p

Happened to me just five seconds ago. I thought I saw something shiny in that cave with a bunch of quicksand, thinking "Worse comes to worse, I'll just lose 1HP and get booted back to the beginning of the area".

...BOY WAS I WRONG.

Happened to me just five seconds ago. I thought I saw something shiny in that cave with a bunch of quicksand, thinking "Worse comes to worse, I'll just lose 1HP and get booted back to the beginning of the area".

...BOY WAS I WRONG.

Same thing here. I was hoping for some secrets or something and I died. Second time really.

First time was what happened when you tried running away while Shyguys be buffing.

World 3 seems pretty massive, and has a lot of exits. Neat.

Dandruff5

Neo Member
Really enjoying this game so far. Made it to 1-5 and haven't been able to put it down.

After reading various initial impressions I was bracing for disappointment, but I just don't see it yet. The lack of leveling remains a questionable design choice, but this game still oozes charm and fun. Feels good man.

watershed

Banned
Been playing it for about an hour now. This is my first Paper Mario game. I'm glad to find it as funny as people said it would be. The sticker system is interesting, I'm not sold on it yet. But the graphics, music, and writing are top-notch. I love that the game gets you right into the action. The pacing is brisk which is exactly how I feel this game should be.

ryushe

Loving the game and how charming it far so far, but two things that bug me;

1) Why isn't there an option so my album auto-sorts every time I pick up a new sticker?

2) I want the touchscreen to stay on the stat screen, and not always jump back to the sticker page...

OCD is a bitch.

ryushe

Quality of the game notwithstanding (I think it's great, so there's no confusion) this is the most whimsical game Nintendo has ever made in terms of presentation, charm and just the overall 'feel' since Kirby's Epic Yarn.

And before that, god knows what.

Roto13

Loving the game and how charming it far so far, but two things that bug me;

1) Why isn't there an option so my album auto-sorts every time I pick up a new sticker?

2) I want the touchscreen to stay on the stat screen, and not always jump back to the sticker page...

OCD is a bitch.

Why would you want it on the stat screen? It's pretty useless. On the other hand, you're constantly using stickers, both in and out of battle.

bryehn

Feeling dumb. I need a "couple stragglers" to unroll the plaza and I feel like I've smashed the hammer on every pixel in the town :/

Played halfway through World 1 so far, and I'm loving the game. The battle system is fun, and I feel the sticker system is really balanced.
The game looks and sounds amazing, and I love the focus on puzzle solving in this game, including secret exits.

jmls1121

Banned
The game is flat-out amazing...what is wrong with game reviewers these days?

Like someone said upthread, I am getting a huge Kirby's Epic Yarn vibe from the charm and artstyle.

tornjaw

I'm stuck.

I can't figure out
World 3-5, Loop Loop River. I cut down one leaf and I have ridden it around in a circle at least 20 times. I can't figure out how to A) cut down the other leaf and B) how to jump up on the ledge

I'm stuck.

I can't figure out
World 3-5, Loop Loop River. I cut down one leaf and I have ridden it around in a circle at least 20 times. I can't figure out how to A) cut down the other leaf and B) how to jump up on the ledge

When you knock down the leaf ride it to the next screen. You have to jump up off the leaf onto a ledge that sits in the foreground. It took me a while to notice it, but once I saw it, I felt pretty dumb for missing it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I was definitely gonna get this until reviews citing "virtually no plot" and "battles feel pointless" and "need stickers you have no idea how to find" started to sour me on it. Anyone with a good amount of playtime care to address those three items? I'm liking the praise I'm hearing here, but I'm still concerned.

Roto13

It has a Mario story, you battle to get more coins and stickers so you can get more powerful stickers to fight tougher battles (reviewers can't understand character growth that doesn't come with a level up screen), and I haven't hit any of the mysterious hidden sticker parts yet but they're probably in there somewhere.

Top Bottom