• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

VICI0US

Man, with my Wii-U system/games pre-order being charged next week I really wanted to hold off on getting this game, but these impressions are making it tough

stupid nintendo, taking all my money

I'm going to have to get used to buying stuff from the store in the game. I got up to a mini boss thingy and didn't have enough stickers to defeat it. This is like Paper Mario meets Resident Evil. I actually have to manage my inventory and fights...

jmls1121

Banned
I was definitely gonna get this until reviews citing "virtually no plot" and "battles feel pointless" and "need stickers you have no idea how to find" started to sour me on it. Anyone with a good amount of playtime care to address those three items? I'm liking the praise I'm hearing here, but I'm still concerned.

There is a typical Mario plot...the dialogue is as funny and witty as ever for Paper Mario

The battles are very enjoyable...while there is no traditional "leveling up", as you progress, the sticker quality increases, as does the strength of the enemies. The reviewers were too stupid to realize this.

If you are a completionist, there are rare stickers you will need to hunt down. It is very difficult, but that is the challenege. Its not needed to finish the traditional quest.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far I frankly love it. Gave up and downloaded a digital copy.

Really love the Mario World style game structure combined with both action and adventure elements. There's a lovely balance between everything. It works much better than Super Paper Mario for combining action Mario and Paper Mario.

I can see and understand complaints over RPG elements being toned down, though really the strategy of the entire system is there but mostly moved around in different ways. I feel Jeremy Parish at 1up actually "got" the game system the best of any of the professional reviewers so far. Pretty much exact opposite of the Venture Beat guy, who seems to have missed the point by a country mile.

Level structure also seems well conceived for a portable format. I have excite, must play more.

Bah, after the reviews it was easy for me to write this off, but after the GAF impressions I'm torn between this and Harvest Moon

Decisions decisions

bumpkin

I bought it digitally in a moment of weakness. I'm waiting for the download now. Not too bad of speeds. A fourth downloaded in five minutes.
I'm really trying to resist doing the same. When I went to GameStop to pay off my Wii U preorder ($425 left to pay on the system and two games) yesterday, the clerk asked me if I wanted to pick up Paper Mario; I had it preordered. I said I had "done enough damage to my wallet" to which my wife looked at me and said "Yes, yes you did." :D

But she'd never notice a digital purchase... Oh temptation, to evil harpy.

I'm really trying to resist doing the same. When I went to GameStop to pay off my Wii U preorder ($425 left to pay on the system and two games) yesterday, the clerk asked me if I wanted to pick up Paper Mario; I had it preordered. I said I had "done enough damage to my wallet" to which my wife looked at me and said "Yes, yes you did." lol

But she'd never notice a digital purchase... Oh temptation, to evil harpy.

It's no Steam, but the promise of Paper Mario in ten minutes was a hard notion to ignore. Though this does more or less put money down on Nntendo making an account system for the 3DS eventually.

I managed to hold off the purchase until today by getting into a good book, but I finished it this morning and I'm still sick. Easy to rationalize, especially because I'm not buying a WiiU. For you, I'd say wait - your fun will come next weekend.

Quick look is scaring me.

How frustrating is the game so far for y'all?

It isn't frustrating once you realize that you are going to have to use the stickers you collect. You'll also have to spend the coins on more stickers. If you try to be cheap and hold on to your coins and stickers then you won't get very far.

How do we reach that level?

Jump into a waterfall in 1-3.

Getting close to finishing world 3, god damn it's massive. I'm not sure when the puzzle confusion is coming into play, but I'm wondering if things behind a secret Door will contribute to later puzzles.

eternalb

I feel Jeremy Parish at 1up actually "got" the game system the best of any of the professional reviewers so far. Pretty much exact opposite of the Venture Beat guy, who seems to have missed the point by a country mile.

It's not a matter of "getting" it. It's not like you're seeing anything the reviewers didn't. It's simply a matter of whether you like those mechanics or not.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's not a matter pf "getting" it. It's not like you're seeing anything the reviewers didn't. It's simply a matter of whether you like those mechanics or not.

There's a difference between taste and trying to argue something is objectively done the wrong way.

Venture Beat's reviewer kind of went off the deep end arguing why the game is just plain made all wrong, and even brought in that narrative of games that "disrespect" the player by contriving to waste their time.

Parish actually framed why the system works. Apart from matters of taste.

lunchtoast

Kept forgetting this was on eshop. Now I get to wait for delivery. I actually thought it wasn't coming out until next Sunday, so I had it ordered to a new address I'm moving to this Friday... Hopefully they just drop it at the front door and I can swing by my new place and grab it after work. I've been F5ing the tracking page all day waiting for delivery.

Spike

Damn Amazon.ca! I actually called them up asking when they would list it, and a few days later, they did. So I ordered it to use my $20 gift card, and it still hasn't shipped! They are saying that the expected delivery date is either this Friday or Monday! Ugh.

I just finished playing Super Paper Mario, and I absolutely loved it even after hearing all the negativity surrounding it. So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this one too.

CrisKre

Questions for those playing:
where is the last wiggler section? I got the ship out of the pier and found the big fish. How do I defeat it? Im assuming i go to the shipwreck to stop the poison?

zroid

Banned
I love how when your pre-emptive strike against an enemy kills them outright, the game doesn't even bother going into the battle. It's been too long since I played PM and TYD, don't remember if this happened there too.

I love how when your pre-emptive strike against an enemy kills them outright, the game doesn't even bother going into the battle. It's been too long since I played PM and TYD, don't remember if this happened there too.

It was a badge ability. Without it, you couldn't kill them outright.

ryushe

That quick look was infuriating.

I like Brad, but I despise when he does quick looks. I was only able to get through it cause Vinny was there.

As for the question, not at all.

You know what I love about all of these reviews? For years everyone laughed and ridiculed Nintendo for making easy, baby games and that they want games with obtuse objectives and unclear goals like the original Legend of Zelda. We get that game, and what happens? Everyone cries about how obtuse and unclear it is.

That and this is an adventure game with rpg trappings, not vice versa. Can't see why reviews can't figure this out.

The quicklook was one of the reasons I bought the game.
It looked so great, and I knew exactly what they had to do at a part they got stuck at and it was infuriating to watch, haha. I mean come on, I think the windmill puzzle was in the trailer for the game!

I just find it so fun just exploring the levels and finding secrets.

speaking of which, can someone explain some gameplay mechanics?

Like if for that QL scenario, one uses the fan sticker in battle... can they not progress in the game?

TreIII

You know what I love about all of these reviews? For years everyone laughed and ridiculed Nintendo for making easy, baby games and that they want games with obtuse objectives and unclear goals like the original Legend of Zelda. We get that game, and what happens? Everyone cries about how obtuse and unclear it is.

Certainly not this guy right here!

This game has easily been the most refreshing Nintendo release for me in quite a while. The added challenge is nice, but I ESPECIALLY love how there's no hand-holding or the game insulting my intelligence with a series of unskippable tutorials. My only serious qualm is that I wish there was a practice room I could use to practice the timings of the various attacks so that I just don't waste stickers inadvertently.

I really, REALLY hope that whatever Alphadream is up to for their next RPG release (More Bowser please! Or give him his own game, why don'cha?!), they've taken a few notes from this particular release.

EriCKY

Neo Member
Probably the stupidest question ever but I can't seem to figure out how to use the plain hammer sticker correctly.

I last played TTYD when it first came out so I don't remember anything

Roto13

speaking of which, can someone explain some gameplay mechanics?

Like if for that QL scenario, one uses the fan sticker in battle... can they not progress in the game?

If you use a "thing sticker" that you need to progress, you can go back and collect that "thing" again wherever you found it the first time and turn it into a sticker at a certain shop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If you use a "thing sticker" that you need to progress, you can go back and collect that "thing" again wherever you found it the first time and turn it into a sticker at a certain shop.

You don't even need to collect it again. You can just re-buy those items and make them into stickers in the same area.

CrisKre

Probably the stupidest question ever but I can't seem to figure out how to use the plain hammer sticker correctly.

When mario is holding the hammer back to gain momentum, you need to press the A at the exact moment the swing is about to start

I had the same problem because it's different then in 64 and TTYD. Tap A when the hammer shines before Mario attacks.

Also, what area has the item for 3-1?

zroid

Banned

When mario is holding the hammer back to gain momentum, you need to press the A at the exact moment the swing is about to start

There's a sparkle indicator that informs you when to press A. The larger the sparkle, the more damage you'll inflict, but if you wait too long the hammer's head will pop off.

CrisKre

There is a clandestine shop to the left of the area that turns objects into stickers that will sell you any object you've acquired.

RM8

Spanish? Lol, I'll play it in English then in Spanish for my second playthrough just for the potentially hilarious translation.

Top Bottom