• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

V_Arnold

Searing bond or flame totem, always. Spec into full hp/resists, +fire damage, totem res/health and double totems.

It will be a breeze till you hit endgame maps, and it will work till midlevel maps just fine.

Cerity

Just browse the official forums for easy to start builds, there's tons of them on there and they barely cost anything to start up.

I linked these to some friends that started playing with this league;

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1291803 (Caustic Arrow Ranger)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951 (Arc Witch)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 (Cyclone Marauder)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595753 (Blade Vortex Shadow)

There are plenty of other builds on there but I think these are particularly well written and more than enough to get someone started.

TheFatOne

Just died. Not sure how much of the league I'm going to play now. Haven't been able to get a build up and running, and loosing the first few days was pretty killer. Lost out on shit tons of currency within the first couple of days. Would have made it much much easier to gear for blade vortex had I been able to play the first few days. Not being able to play much the first few days has really killed my hype for this league. Thinking about just skipping this league, and waiting for the next one. Either that or I'm going to play very casually. Essences so far seems like a very sub par mechanic though. Might be different if I ever hit end game. It's ok for leveling if your RNG is good, but other than that it's a pretty meh mechanic. Great for high level crafters, but it's not really enough to keep me interested long term.
Searing bond or flame totem, always. Spec into full hp/resists, +fire damage, totem res/health and double totems.

It will be a breeze till you hit endgame maps, and it will work till midlevel maps just fine.

To add to this. You can spec into crit. I'm pretty sure if you spec into crit, and get solid gear you can do high level maps with no problem. Clear speed won't be like BV or some of the top tier builds though.

Skittles

my redone build from last league is obliterating everything. was only 4 levels above cruel lab and didn't even get close to dying. can't wait to see how late i can go with this summoner build (only got to tier 5-6 maps last season before it ended)

I made a mistake of trying to do a popular build this league. Most unique flasks were already 2-5 exalts on the first 2 days of league. I've found some decent items so far but not much is selling. I've been running a slightly modified version of blade vortex using some different gems messing around with mechanics since BV stacks only go to 20 now.

It is nice not playing MF or summoner for once though.

my redone build from last league is obliterating everything. was only 4 levels above cruel lab and didn't even get close to dying. can't wait to see how late i can go with this summoner build (only got to tier 5-6 maps last season before it ended)

What's the gist of your summoner build? Also, are you using essences to craft your gear? How is that working out?

squidyj

I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to try to essence craft a +3 fire staff.
There's like a flat 5ex+ cost on crafting a +3 staff in addition to alts and regals that you put in to get the initial rolls.

Cerity

URoQMvK.png

Just lab things.

Played an hour yesterday with three friends and had a blast. Really looking forward to put more time into this.

Game is a lot of fun in a group of friends. The IIQ doesn't hurt either.

So do people run indexing programs on items? I put up a body armour with 600es in the wrong tab (1 chaos) and got 8 pms within 15 seconds of posting it.

Rufus

Game is a lot of fun in a group of friends. The IIQ doesn't hurt either.

So do people run indexing programs on items? I put up a body armour with 600es in the wrong tab (1 chaos) and got 8 pms within 15 seconds of posting it.
Poe.trade has a live search mode. You can have it refresh every five second and make a noise when something fitting your criteria goes up.

Skittles

What's the gist of your summoner build? Also, are you using essences to craft your gear? How is that working out?
cyromancer. Essences are kind of bad because the only useful stat is minion damage(which is locked to weapons) and you'll usually be using a unique as a summoner. Health is worthless because after all the passives your minions are plenty tanky. Minion speed is bad because flesh offering will be up 90% of the time anyway. So summoners got fucked on essences :(. If you could craft minion damage on belt/gloves it'd be fair more useful. I have used cast speed/energy shield essences to good results though

I haven't played PoE in ages, but now I'm jumping back, hitting the softcore Essence league. I have never taken a character to endgame, but I'll try to do that this time - just to see the content and figure the game out. I'm probably going to dedicate myself to Hardcore later on, once I've gotten a hang of things. I'm doing a beginner-friendly Duelist-build this time.

I am a huge fan of ARPGs - I've tried them all, but mainly played Diablo 3 the past few years. And PoE seems like a great replacement for D3, as I've grown pretty tired of that ( after a few thousand hours of grinding and trying to climb the seasonal ladders ). Is there a GAF clan, by the way?

Poe.trade has a live search mode. You can have it refresh every five second and make a noise when something fitting your criteria goes up.

Ah forgot they added that. Makes sense. Got some snipers on that site.

Also lab is a shit show. Latency and frame times all over the place trying to spam flasks to not get wrecked by izaro only for the client to catch up as I am dying.

Cerity

A couple runs before work this morning, pop a dunes, zana right outside the entrance and popped a Caer Blaidd map. Haven't run it since talisman so that was a nice surprise.

Ah forgot they added that. Makes sense. Got some snipers on that site.

Also lab is a shit show. Latency and frame times all over the place trying to spam flasks to not get wrecked by izaro only for the client to catch up as I am dying.

Just going to seriously overlevel/gear the merc lab. I still haven't completed it just because of all the issues. I got pretty close on my first try of it but had the latency meant I was getting hit and had to spam pots more often, died and about 3 secs later my spirits killed izaro off. I don't think I've felt more disrepected by the game.

Rufus

Yeah, I killed my first character in the lab. Performance was shit, but I thought I could handle it anyway. A surprising density of circular saws and spike poles ended that run and the characters life. If I had bothered to get a seething flask or even a bubbling I might have lived. Or if I had backed off and tried another time.

I'm having rotten luck this league. Still haven't reached end game. I burned through a couple of characters only to go back to my original plan, i.e. Caustic Arrow. At least I'm in merciless now...

Leagues been okay for me so far. Thankful I play softcore or else I'd be running a different character. I've managed to get enough to buy a Rumis and a 20% Vinktar (wish they never nerfed it because legacy was awesome) found a few 5l with good stats so I'm using those. I've only had to really buy 1 piece of gear to help cap resistances.

Don't know if I want to try and go for a taste of hate next or divinarius and rathpith as sales have slowed down quite a bit in the last day and trying to make decent currency is going to be a bit tougher.

Also I am having a shitty mapping experience I can't get over tier 6 consistently. Ran that damn recourse map tons of times and just keep getting the same drop. Fuck that maps bosses too. Not as bad now that I know what to expect but can still be a pain especially twinned.

TheFatOne

Yeah, I killed my first character in the lab. Performance was shit, but I thought I could handle it anyway. A surprising density of circular saws and spike poles ended that run and the characters life. If I had bothered to get a seething flask or even a bubbling I might have lived. Or if I had backed off and tried another time.

I'm having rotten luck this league. Still haven't reached end game. I burned through a couple of characters only to go back to my original plan, i.e. Caustic Arrow. At least I'm in merciless now...

This is where I was, and then I went with the tried and true flame totem bro. Never lets me down. Made it to end game and T1-T2 maps just now.

FiraB

Banned
Hey anyone on softcore essence grab me a faster cast and throw it in tab 9 for me, was going to just level a witch to grab it but I figured maybe ask here if someone has a spare or can just grab a quick one for me.

Thanks if you can.

Cerity

Man that was a lot of fun. Alch'ed a strand map and rolled beyond, go in and it triggers my monstrous treasures prophecy. Ended up fighting pretty much every beyond boss multiple times aside from Abaxoth, which surprisingly didn't spawn. Disappointed I didn't get a diviners box but all the action more than made up for it. Easily highlight of the league for me, consistent single digit frame rates aside.

Hey anyone on softcore essence grab me a faster cast and throw it in tab 9 for me, was going to just level a witch to grab it but I figured maybe ask here if someone has a spare or can just grab a quick one for me.

Thanks if you can.

Hopefully someone else can get you. Clarissa doesn't sell to Marauders

Cerity

might as well ask someone in the local a2 chat to grab it for you then. I've done it a few times at the beginning of a league.

Performance actually going good now, I had to turn off shadows completely and haven't really seen any extended up drops outside of latency since.

Skittles

Build is holding steady, just did merc lab with no problem and up to tier 6 maps

edit: i thought an agnerod was the luckiest drop today...but then i used an alchemy on a generic strongbox and got a Cospri's Malice Jewelled Foil

edit2: a necro boss should never roll soul eater, holy hell that was bullshit. i dont even know how some builds deal with that if you cant insta nuka her

Cerity

so just picked up this 6L staff off trade for an ex and rolled a few +2 essences on it. Pretty funny novelty considering you can't usually roll 6S/L until later on (iirc ilvl 50+?) and the +2 gems mod is normally ilvl53+.
bAltNTE.png

Skittles

an ilvl 50 staff would make it easier to roll +1 gems with essence wouldn't it?
I think crude bows are the go to for +3 fire gems now. Can't roll attack damage so it's forced to roll +1 fire gem(if i remember correctly). What makes it even better is that you can pick up a quiver with defensive stats.

Build is holding steady, just did merc lab with no problem and up to tier 6 maps

edit: i thought an agnerod was the luckiest drop today...but then i used an alchemy on a generic strongbox and got a Cospri's Malice Jewelled Foil

edit2: a necro boss should never roll soul eater, holy hell that was bullshit. i dont even know how some builds deal with that if you cant insta nuka her

Damn nice drop. That's easy money right there. I've been thinking of maybe trying a build around that item but don't know if I want to sink the currency into it. Especially since I need around 12 exatls to finish my current one. :(

Rufus

Caustic Arrow takes a long time to get going, but when it does things just melt. It's really fun to just watch the health bars smoothly tick down.

Cerity

Yeah crude bow with the soulstrike quiver is meta atm, but it seems people have already bought them all up on trade. That and I don't really want to deal with the chrome lottery. Nearly done with this build anyway, just need to fight the hydra to unlock the shaper.

Started up a new build already, reverse knockback ranged attack totem, should be fun once it gets going.

TGMIII

Very stupidly got my character lvl84 killed in EHC by not paying attention to standing in the middle of a cluster of ice bombs. Easily my most stupid death to date.

Not sure what to play next since I was enjoying Ancestral warchief. Might go with a remake with a facebreaker or maybe try something with the flavour of the league, blade vortex. Finding it pretty hard this league to balance damage and defenses without paying heavily in currency but I suppose being so early into the league won't help either.

Yeah crude bow with the soulstrike quiver is meta atm, but it seems people have already bought them all up on trade. That and I don't really want to deal with the chrome lottery. Nearly done with this build anyway, just need to fight the hydra to unlock the shaper.

Started up a new build already, reverse knockback ranged attack totem, should be fun once it gets going.

Do people run that quiver with occulist?

do occultists use +3 bows?

If they were running soul strike quiver and caustic aarow I would assume they would. Can probably get up to 10k ES pretty easy and with wicked ward you'd be pretty solid. I haven't played as occulist or tried this out so who knows if it's viable.

Got a Sorcerers Boots unique and got excited thinking I was rich, then it turned out to be the lesser unique. Not too bad though the very next day I got Divinarious. RNG has been pretty good for me.

Cerity

Most dudes using it atm are running SRS, but dudes are getting ED builds sorted with it. Pretty much any caster build that uses +3 ele gear is going to benefit. Rearguard is a combination being used for life builds.

Isn't drillneck still BiS for CA builds though? I'd have thought the extra damage would seriously outweigh the survivability.

I'm thinking of trying to do a double Malice CoC assassin build but not sure how I'd tackle it this league. Would like to go CI with discharge but don't have the currency to get the needed gear for that . Thinking of going life maybe switching to discharge with VP with enough currency for 6l volls/ammy/vertex/etc.

tjohn86

My tornado shot ranger is topping out around T12 maps. I just can't survive big hits at that level.

I guess its time for a BV build like everyone else.

Currently playing a Lightning Arrow / Blast Rain pathfinder.

Clear speed is nice, and I've managed to get all the way to tier 11 maps. Failed on a corrupted tier 12 Vault map, so thats a bit sad. Can still improve on build as all my jewelry can use an upgrade (only 3.7k health with acrobatics and my flasks as my defenses). I also need to get a 6 link chest + 5 link voltaxic and some better flasks.

My plan is try to 40/40 this league (closest I've gotten was 39/40 in perandus).

I don't think my current build can do all the end game content/grind. Its relatively glass cannony.

I think I may need to roll a new character and use my current to build a currency pool.

Is there a fun build any think that can do uber lab/shaper etc.?

I was thinking of doing an a Vortex degen build (similar to ZiggyD prophecy build), though the nerf to conflux makes it not as good. Double/Triple blasphemy sounds pretty safe.

I'm so glad I didn't go HC this league. So, so many potentially lethal surprises. First time seeing a corrupted essence monster. First time seeing a triple-essence monster. Then I was totally not prepared for how nasty some of map bosses can be, and one event in the Shaper quest chain almost killed me too.

I think I have learned my lesson, I have capped elem resists on merciless, positive chaos resistance and 6.5k HP (HP+ES combined) but that still isn't enough for my summoner witch. I guess I have to start looking at a build that has armor in it.

Cerity

I'm finding it a lot of fun though, I ran into a triple essence monster that was possesed by a ghost. We were already having issues dealing enough damage - it was gradually outhealing everything we threw at it but then it got itself possesed by another ghost. We ended up having to bring in a few more players to deal with that one. I've also run into a soul eater dual essence mob, corrupted it and turned it into a triple essence which we couldn't actually kill.

I think I'll be playing this league for awhile yet, all the league mods are coming together and clicking really nicely for me this time.

I'm finding it a lot of fun though, I ran into a triple essence monster that was possesed by a ghost. We were already having issues dealing enough damage - it was gradually outhealing everything we threw at it but then it got itself possesed by another ghost. We ended up having to bring in a few more players to deal with that one. I've also run into a soul eater dual essence mob, corrupted it and turned it into a triple essence which we couldn't actually kill.

I think I'll be playing this league for awhile yet, all the league mods are coming together and clicking really nicely for me this time.

This is fun, yes, but also requires a bit of learning. Which means I would be doomed if I had to learn the ropes in HC mode :D

The essences are a nice way to get gear while leveling up. I'm not sure how well they would work out if drop rate was drastically reduced if this was ever integrated into the core game.

TheFatOne

So I'm pretty sure GGG is trying to get me to play another EQ build. In the last 24 hours Marohi, Lions Roar, blackheart, and kaoms sign has dropped for me. Have been saving up to play a pathfinder blade vortex build, but I might just go EQ with my recent drops.

Is the GAF guild active in this game? Just started a few days ago and having a lot of fun but I have no idea what I'm doing. Currently level 55 on my Witch and I'm just following one of the more popular builds on the forum for now. Would love an invite to the guild if possible. My character name is Tubbers.

Top Bottom