• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

OT magazine was great. Almost had me there thinking that GAF had some yearly magazine or something. Very well done.

On topic: Any previous players that linked their Beta PoE account to their Steam account able to play yet? Haven't been able to play all day, won't get past "Connecting"

Eteric Rice

OT magazine was great. Almost had me there thinking that GAF had some yearly magazine or something. Very well done.

On topic: Any previous players that linked their Beta PoE account to their Steam account able to play yet? Haven't been able to play all day, won't get past "Connecting"

I can't connect either. It's making me a sad panda.

Sarcasm

I keep seeing comments like this. Can you fully respec your characters in this game?

I have a lvl 50 hardcore ranger I played in ranger mode..they offered full free respec for people with characters before this update since they change/moved things on tree.

I was Blood Magic on my ranger but now its way to far (not worth all those points to spend) to get to BM..now I don't know what to do.

I deleted my old PoE file and re-downloaded with Steam. Also did you get the email/authenticate the account and everything?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh my god, you can put double-attack gems in armor. This gem system is so much better than Diablo 2's in letting me be able to remove gems and test things out. OMG.

I just need red and blue gems now. D:

K.Sabot

Oh my god, you can put double-attack gems in armor. This gem system is so much better than Diablo 2's in letting me be able to remove gems and test things out. OMG.

I just need red and blue gems now. D:

Just wait until you get some support gems. Shit gets real.

Very very real.

The servers are literally going down now to address this problem. Try again in 10 minutes after this post.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so I decided to give this game another shot

liking it so far

picked marauder, am hitting the SHIT out of things

as far as skills I just pick what looks good at the moment

Ferrio

Banned
Two questions

1. What's the point of leveling gems? I mean.. why does make make me manually hit the +... if it's just a straight level up.

2. Why is currency dropped items shared in a party? I have it set to the individual loot for limited time.. but those still drop for both.

I deleted my old PoE file and re-downloaded with Steam. Also did you get the email/authenticate the account and everything?

Yep.

The servers are literally going down now to address this problem. Try again in 10 minutes after this post.

I know they went down for maintenance to fix the connection issues but were supposed to be back up (as far as I recall), like around 8 pm PST.

Edit: I'm in! Yay. Problem seems to be fixed.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Two questions

1. What's the point of leveling gems? I mean.. why does make make me manually hit the +... if it's just a straight level up.

2. Why is currency dropped items shared in a party? I have it set to the individual loot for limited time.. but those still drop for both.

Leveling gems up makes them stronger. It does it so you can see the requirements.

Currency is designated to a player usually.

Also for new players: Just have fun, experiment with skills, enjoy normal mode. Your first character is going to suck in the end no matter what you do since you're learning the massive skill tree. So have fun find a skill you might like...then when you get stuck and stall out, reroll with the knowledge you gained. Also don't waste currency on leveling gear.

TheSeks

Two questions

Because you have the option to not manually level up if the level-up (highlight/hover over the levelup notification) is too powerful for your current level. IE: MP quickly depletes your MP bar to where you can't chain so right-click the level-up notification to tell it "no, I don't want to level it up." IIRC you can't level it up after that, or maybe you can. But that's the quick beginner gist from the PoE website.

Probably because those are used for trades with NPC's.

TheSeks

So I have to try and beat the other player from picking it up?

Just like Diablo's gold, yeah. IIRC, D2 had a similar "system" in that it didn't split the gold, whoever picked up the gold fallen got that gold. Or it was like a majority share and they split 10% with the party or something.

Perkel

Banned
Ah that makes sense, might level it past your stats requirement... gotcha.

So I have to try and beat the other player from picking it up?

You can't level past your stats.
But you sometimes want to have it low level for less mana req.

Shouldn't. Short allocation would make it one person's for a short time depending on their distance from the drop, and permanent is... permanent. If you change it while in a zone, you have to either have everyone in the party leave the zone and come back, or wait til you enter a new zone. It's like this to prevent people abusing switching the loot allocation.

Is there a hardcore version of the dominion league?

So far I'm having fun. I played a whole lot during the beta but got burned out and quit. I came back to try the new beta leagues briefly, but now that the game is officially out I'm more interested in it. Nemesis isn't bad but I wish all monsters attacked faster like in the previous leagues.

Marlenus

I have a lvl 50 hardcore ranger I played in ranger mode..they offered full free respec for people with characters before this update since they change/moved things on tree.

I was Blood Magic on my ranger but now its way to far (not worth all those points to spend) to get to BM..now I don't know what to do.

What kind of build do you have where you could not get BM @ level 50? I have a blood magic build on my Split Arrow archer and with the changes @ level 44 I had a HP increase and a DPS increase and a nice boost to HP/s as well.

Here is my build http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdEFLQ48FCAUcRiRGNshYCchJ9UotTJ-OlJAoEGqSn1QR1YEW69gS2CIYVJnoHTtdPF463rvfXWGYId2lcieuacwp9Sv67vjxFjEotN-3BXcgt0N37_nCu9O73r3vvzF_gn-uv7I

jersoc

decided to delete and start over for a new build.

this character is probably my luckiest yet and i have 3 at 50+. within minutes i found 3 skill gems, 3 rares and a fairly good beginner weapon.

i feel a GMP later in my scion's career.

Perkel

Banned
Damn lost my char.

I encountered Rare monster with Ancestoral bond + that fire merveil squid in cave lvl2.

Basically squid casts on me Firestorm and those squids with Ancestoral bond had searing bond between them and essentially i just died in seconds when they close up on me.

I had 68% fire resist and 360 life . Act 1 normal. heheh

tci

Not sure if someone mentioned it, but the 1.0.0c updated resoloved the whisper issue from earlier in this thread.

Version 1.0.0c
We now support payments with currencies other than US dollars via the Steam client.
Fixed a bug where some Steam users were unable to connect because they were erroneously allocated unlock codes. Unlock codes are now correctly disabled for Steam.
Fixed a bug where you can't right click to whisper people who aren't on your friends list.
Fixed a bug where the challenge completion counter that appears in chat in the new Domination and Nemesis leagues showed the wrong challenge total.
Fixed a bug where some Guild Tags appear invisible if they have spaces in them from the Vaults of Atziri symbol.
Improvements to login server stability.

ЯAW

Banned
Probably been recommended already but beginners should visit www.poeex.info
It's impossible for beginer to know how important some items are and this site gives you the general idea. Been useful for me.

Perkel

Banned
You know what would be huge? Steam item trading. As long as its with PoE to PoE items only and no real money trading.

No it wouldn't. AH in D3 didn't suck because you could buy almost anything (that was still problem) but because it completely took out community aspect from trading. Any kind of way that involves creating system where you don't need to actually trade or talk with people is fail in this kind of game.

I can't count how many times i started to buy something from one dude and i ended up with targeted item and some additional currency because i bartered stuff.

Zanosuke

So, I haven't played this in a while, but feel like getting into it again. What do I need to think about when migrating from the stand-alone client to the Steam one? Do I just uninstall the old one, download the new one, and start playing? (I know there's an issue right now, but let's assume the patch to fix it has been released when I do this.) Also, regarding the rebalancing of the passive skill tree, what does this mean for my character? If a certain node I've already chosen has been changed/deleted/moved, or there's a new one in a path I've already gone down (have nodes actually been added or deleted, or just changed?), what happens? Will my stats just change according to the new tree, or will the game let me repick stuff? Anything else that might have changed with my character? Weapons, gems, etc?

Did what I did. Uninstalled the old one, downloaded through Steam. Started the game and tried to log in with my old email/pass. Was sent an confirmation email which links your PoE account to your Steam account. Logged in again and my old chars were there, with all points ready to be placed.

Atruvius

Continued playing with my Ranger from beta, which I hadn't played for like 4 months. I am at the beginning of Act 3 and around level 30. Bows are really fun, I tried playing as a magic Templar when I got into the beta didn't find the class much fun to play.

Card Boy

Banned
Really thinking of making an Avatar of Fire Archer Scion, so i will be going both into the Templar and Ranger side.

There are afew fire based skills that could would such as Exploding Arrow and Burning arrow. The theory is since all damage is converted to fire i should be able to use Elemental Hit and Lightning Arrow aswell?

My concern is Fire resistant enemies in the Hardest difficulties, i assume Flammability is a must as a curse with a Avatar of Fire character. Its a shame they didn't put Avatar of Ice and Lightning nodes on the Tree aswell a simple placement would be to split the Avatar of Fire end into 3 different elements.

edit: my head is going to explode from all this theorycrafting.

Twinduct

Unfortunately I don't think there has been any new developments regarding the guild.

Meh. Ok well will make one this afternoon and start pimping it. Just wanna read about transfer of ownership and etc as I won't be the most active and don't want to limit the guild's development.

Just want to get the structure ready as guild challenges and events will be coming soonish.

Raxious

Meh. Ok well will make one this afternoon and start pimping it. Just wanna read about transfer of ownership and etc as I won't be the most active and don't want to limit the guild's development.

Just want to get the structure ready as guild challenges and events will be coming soonish.

Pretty much the reason I haven't made it yet, I'd rather have someone experienced keeping control of it :p

Syril

I'm about to make my first actual attempt to play this, not counting messing around in the beta for a couple of hours. I realize that trying to plan an exact build is pointless for my first time since I won't be familiar enough with the game to plan around anything, so instead I was wondering what kinds of stats the game favors in general. Does it emphasize survivability over offense? Is it important to spend points in mana for spellcasting, or is that overkill? Are there certain things that are particularly underpowered and not putting points into? If I plan to play a witch and do lots of spellcasting, I assume that putting lots of points into increasing INT is generally a good thing, but are other stats best left alone if you're not focusing on them?

It feels weird to ask basic things like this when I've played these types of games since the original Diablo, but I've noticed that much as these games share similar systems, they emphasize different things. Like how in Diablo 2, vitality was really important because there wasn't any standard way to reduce damage, but in Torchlight 2 it's much more important to position yourself properly and to dodge enemy attacks through movement since your character moves very quickly.

Sarcasm

What kind of build do you have where you could not get BM @ level 50? I have a blood magic build on my Split Arrow archer and with the changes @ level 44 I had a HP increase and a DPS increase and a nice boost to HP/s as well.

Here is my build http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdEFLQ48FCAUcRiRGNshYCchJ9UotTJ-OlJAoEGqSn1QR1YEW69gS2CIYVJnoHTtdPF463rvfXWGYId2lcieuacwp9Sv67vjxFjEotN-3BXcgt0N37_nCu9O73r3vvzF_gn-uv7I

I panicked....what rest of your build?

I can't decide!! I am actually lvl 59 HC.

Ricker

so I decided to give this game another shot

liking it so far

picked marauder, am hitting the SHIT out of things

as far as skills I just pick what looks good at the moment

I was told with Marauder to go Life,life and more life and strenght hehe...I have a 2h Mace build and it works pretty good,the only downside to the way I leveled up is that I am missing some dexterity now to equip some nice stuff...

Eteric Rice

Man, not sure what I want to make. Kind of want to play archer, but not sure what build to go with in the current build of the game.

Any suggestions?

RK9039

Ah, I logged in for 5 minutes before going off and I found out that there is a one time full respec on your beta characters.

Very nice.

I didn't unlock the Scion because I deleted my only character that finished act 3 :(

syko de4d

Man, not sure what I want to make. Kind of want to play archer, but not sure what build to go with in the current build of the game.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a Scion or Templer Avatar of Fire Burning Arrow Build with this 50% phys to fire Quiver and ALOT of burn + ele profilation? Thats what i want to test next :)

With this you get like 160% of your phys dam as fire dam xD

Maybe even combine that with Traps and Point Black? :>

Top Bottom