• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

The little time I spend yesterday playing I noticed a lot of improvements in the game. The lore is expanded with the marked stones you find in the levels, new skill gems like spectral throw thart I'm really enjoying to use. I also noticed PoE has integrated Twitch.tv setting, I dont know if it was already in the later beta builds but for me it's new.

It's good to see how fast GGG releases patches to improve and fix, I hope the game turns successful and profitable for them. :)

Eteric Rice

Maybe a Scion or Templer Avatar of Fire Burning Arrow Build with this 50% phys to fire Quiver and ALOT of burn + ele profilation? Thats what i want to test next :)

With this you get like 160% of your phys dam as fire dam xD

Maybe even combine that with Traps and Point Black? :>

Any links to examples?

Sad to say, the skill grid system over whelms me. Looking at it freaks me out, so a guide would be useful for me. :)

Gothos

I'm about to make my first actual attempt to play this, not counting messing around in the beta for a couple of hours. I realize that trying to plan an exact build is pointless for my first time since I won't be familiar enough with the game to plan around anything, so instead I was wondering what kinds of stats the game favors in general. Does it emphasize survivability over offense? Is it important to spend points in mana for spellcasting, or is that overkill? Are there certain things that are particularly underpowered and not putting points into? If I plan to play a witch and do lots of spellcasting, I assume that putting lots of points into increasing INT is generally a good thing, but are other stats best left alone if you're not focusing on them?

It feels weird to ask basic things like this when I've played these types of games since the original Diablo, but I've noticed that much as these games share similar systems, they emphasize different things. Like how in Diablo 2, vitality was really important because there wasn't any standard way to reduce damage, but in Torchlight 2 it's much more important to position yourself properly and to dodge enemy attacks through movement since your character moves very quickly.

The answers to your questions depend heavely on your build and would require lenghty explaination. Spellcasting gems require Intelligence atribute and are boosted mainly by spellpower so that's what you should take into consideration. Also, don't forget about life and grab some nodes with it along the way. In PoE battlefield control is also largely dependant on you - you can dodge attakcs/projectiles manualy, movement speed/cast speed is also great for controlling the battle.
In general, just play it, you'll get the hang of it all sooner or later :)

I'm about to make my first actual attempt to play this, not counting messing around in the beta for a couple of hours. I realize that trying to plan an exact build is pointless for my first time since I won't be familiar enough with the game to plan around anything, so instead I was wondering what kinds of stats the game favors in general. Does it emphasize survivability over offense? Is it important to spend points in mana for spellcasting, or is that overkill? Are there certain things that are particularly underpowered and not putting points into? If I plan to play a witch and do lots of spellcasting, I assume that putting lots of points into increasing INT is generally a good thing, but are other stats best left alone if you're not focusing on them?

It feels weird to ask basic things like this when I've played these types of games since the original Diablo, but I've noticed that much as these games share similar systems, they emphasize different things. Like how in Diablo 2, vitality was really important because there wasn't any standard way to reduce damage, but in Torchlight 2 it's much more important to position yourself properly and to dodge enemy attacks through movement since your character moves very quickly.
You're definitely going to want health in the early parts of the game and beyond. There are plenty of specific builds but having extra health will save your ass, plus some armor.

INT will come as you move through the tree, at least if you're a spell caster class. If you're say, a maurader spell caster you'll need to reach for some INT.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
One of my gripes back in beta was the map/mini map being fugly and it seems it hasn't improved at all. If you compare it to D3 it looks like a placeholder.

ys45

I was doing great with my build before 1.0 :( Was LA Blood Magic with Iron Reflex.

I tried to respec to the same or should I say almost the same as I lost a few skill (like berserking) and now my dps is down to 314 and i suck , damn it ! I should have waited and checked build guide for 1.0 on the forum .

Or I should have listened to myself and switched to more Phys dmg passive + crit
I'm 45 and it take forever to kill a monster at cruel .

Good thing i have my friend with all his minions otherwise solo i would be dead .

Sarcasm

I was doing great with my build before 1.0 :( Was LA Blood Magic with Iron Reflex.

I tried to respec to the same or should I say almost the same as I lost a few skill (like berserking) and now my dps is down to 314 and i suck , damn it ! I should have waited and checked build guide for 1.0 on the forum .

Or I should have listened to myself and switched to more Phys dmg passive + crit

Good thing i have my friend with all his minions otherwise solo i would be dead .

What build are you speaking of if you don't mind me asking..I have a 59 ranger and I am trying to decide where to spend all my points.

I see a lot of rangers not taking GM anymore and picking up acrobatics...is a AB good now?

garath

Couldn't get in last night :(

Finally linked my steam account to my GGG account and authenticated with the slow email but after that I was sitting waiting on "Connecting to server" the rest of the evening while I played Terraria on the other screen.

Sigh. I'll give it another shot later.

ys45

What build are you speaking of if you don't mind me asking..I have a 59 ranger and I am trying to decide where to spend all my points.

I see a lot of rangers not taking GM anymore and picking up acrobatics...is a AB good now?

Sorry forgot to mention i was a ranger :p

I was going for the Frenzy/Lightning Arrow/Blood Magic with elemental dmg build (socketed with 2 more projectile gem and Arc gem) and Wrath aura .

But now they changed the rule for aura (take up 60% of life/mana which is too much)
And if i want to do decent dmg i need to get some node with crit and phys dmg so it's back to mana but the problem with mana and Ranger is I run out of mana in like 4 secs with aura and all the mana enhancing node are a little far and i spread too much skill point so I think I'm gonna reroll a char .

My other solution is Red gems with Blood Magic and life leech on my LA and Frenzy but i don't have the gear for that yet so i'm pretty screwed up -_-

And yeah they seems to have buffed the Acrobatics skills now evasion is also good as much as armor from what i see .

“Everything you wanted from Diablo 3 - and more”
PC Gamer Magazine Oct 2013
This quote, to me, means "Diablo 2 but better" in a nutshell. I don't want to start shit in regards to the quality between this game and D2 but I would like to know what PoE brings apart from the type of F2P I like.

I do feel that dungeon crawlers should feel dark so the presentation here is a plus.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did what I did. Uninstalled the old one, downloaded through Steam. Started the game and tried to log in with my old email/pass. Was sent an confirmation email which links your PoE account to your Steam account. Logged in again and my old chars were there, with all points ready to be placed.

Ok, thanks!

RS4-

For those of you that have done the a2 quest "deal with the bandits," what did you go for in terms of reward?

Is the passive point that big of a deal? :(

Marlenus

dps with what is 314?

My burning arrow DPS with faster projectiles + Faster Attacks is 700+ dps
My Split Arrow with Life Gain on hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Fork is 233 dps/hit so can be 2k + with a big enough group.

You can see my current allocation in my previous post but my final build will be something like this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This quote, to me, means "Diablo 2 but better" in a nutshell. I don't want to start shit in regards to the quality between this game and D2 but I would like to know what PoE brings apart from the type of F2P I like.

I do feel that dungeon crawlers should feel dark so the presentation here is a plus.

The gem system. It's Diablo 2's on steroids with no punishment for experimenting with stuff. MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH better than Diablo 2's "once you slot a gem it's gone forever."

I just reached the first waypoint in the game and have to stop for work but I'm really enjoying this. I'm gonna have to devote some time between it, Torchlight 1-2 and Battlefield 4 over the next few months. OH GOD.

fd_ep003_08.jpg

Tom Penny

Man the Aura's at 60% mana is rough. I have the Mana nodes down to only use 22% mana and I still can't run 2 auras with Blood Magic unless I want only half my Health 0_0

I should have respec'd different apparently on my Ranger. Nothing I can do about it now :(

Miletius

For those of you that have done the a2 quest "deal with the bandits," what did you go for in terms of reward?

Is the passive point that big of a deal? :(

Depends on your goal. From what I remember it's usually better to get something else. I remember that usually people got base HP in normal. But it's been a while since I've played so, there is that.

mrpeabody

One of my gripes back in beta was the map/mini map being fugly and it seems it hasn't improved at all. If you compare it to D3 it looks like a placeholder.

It's worse than even the D2 map. You can't reliably tell where you can walk and where is impassable terrain. They really need to fix it.

Zeth

RIPs are coming fast and furious this morning :)

Good times. Winging it on this ST Scion - going atk speed/phys dmg and hoping I can make it to blood magic/iron reflexes while still getting some of the new goodies. Looks like 2handers like maces are ideal for spectral throw?

ys45

dps with what is 314?

My burning arrow DPS with faster projectiles + Faster Attacks is 700+ dps
My Split Arrow with Life Gain on hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Fork is 233 dps/hit so can be 2k + with a big enough group.

You can see my current allocation in my previous post but my final build will be something like this.

314 is my main attack actually (all combined) with LA (with i got something like 200 something (sorry at work right now) burning arrow 346 .

But the issue right now is the gear but It's not like i can change that right away, i have been stuck with the same bow for a while now every other rare i get are not as good so yeah new gears would probably fix the issue .
So the question is : keep going with my friend (witch summoner) and hope i get better gear soon ? or reroll ? not sure I have enough respec points to change my build

JimmyBoy

Can anyone describe the combat to me? By which I mean, does it feel like it has impact when you hit someone? Does it differ per class? Diablo III had/has a lot of problems but combat feel wasn't one of them.

This game looks fantastic in theory, but if the combat makes me feel like i'm hitting with pillows i lose interest quickly.

Perkel

Banned
Can anyone describe the combat to me? By which I mean, does it feel like it has impact when you hit someone? Does it differ per class? Diablo III had/has a lot of problems but combat feel wasn't one of them.

This game looks fantastic in theory, but if the combat makes me feel like i'm hitting with pillows i lose interest quickly.

It's F2P game just download and play it. Steam version is like 3-4 GB

edit;

It isn't "fluid" as D3 combat system from start but as you get attack speed and run speed essentially it becomes faster than D3 combat. Especially with crazy combos like bloodrage and flickerstrike.

I created one of my chars so that i had ZEAL like pala from D2. Thing is PoE version was even faster than D2 one.

Nibiru

Banned
Two questions

1. What's the point of leveling gems? I mean.. why does make make me manually hit the +... if it's just a straight level up.

Gems don't automatically level because you might not have the gem stat requirement to use it if it's leveled if you even change one piece of gear. For example any class can use Ethereal Knives for a little while but at one point if you level it chances are that unless you have enough Dex then you will not be able to use it if it's leveled. There are scenarios I would level a gem then change my gear and realize that I had Dex, Int whatever on that gear and now I couldn't use the ability anymore. So you need to keep that in mind.

Also certain gems like Lightening Warp aren't worth leveling if you are just using it for mobility. Additionally abilities like Power Siphon aren't worth leveling past level 5 because the bonuses aren't worth it vs the increase mana cost. There are are some seriously complicated nuances to this game and gem management is one of them.

Sulik2

Haven't played since last October but I dropped a lot of hours into the closed Beta. Can't wait to check out the final game. Best F2P game I have ever touched.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was told with Marauder to go Life,life and more life and strenght hehe...I have a 2h Mace build and it works pretty good,the only downside to the way I leveled up is that I am missing some dexterity now to equip some nice stuff...

I basically went all the way down the 2H damage road until I got to the versatility buff

I haven't been worrying too much about life yet because the faster you kill things the faster your potions refill. also I have gear with health regen on it

haven't grouped yet, because I went to that bulletin board and it looked like a bunch of nonsense

maybe I'll wait until act 2

RS4-

NeoGAF guild is alive
send message to KKRT, me, zethca or sykode4d in POE

we will add yout to guild

I've only been able to send a request to KKRT. Unless I've been doing it wrong. Noticeboard > friend > invite?

KKRT, if you're reading this it came from 'alcorus.' I don't know how it shows up in game though, so it might be under 'dokterr' instead lol.

KKRT00

I've only been able to send a request to KKRT. Unless I've been doing it wrong. Noticeboard > friend > invite?

KKRT, if you're reading this it came from 'alcorus.' I don't know how it shows up in game though, so it might be under 'dokterr' instead lol.

Added :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, the game just crashed on me while messing with the settings, and the error handling isn't exactly what I'd call graceful:

ibwHdz2NwhtL8P.PNG

iHJ80RDfSD7ok.PNG

Oh well.

Anyway, the achievements (which didn't exist last time I played this game), I can't get them without starting a new character? Seems like there are a few I should already have if they were retroactive, so I guess not.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Barely played for 25 minutes as a witch and I'm already throwing fireballs and raising zombies to fight for me. I like how you feel like a badass this early on.

Also that fist launch took ages, holy shit. It took between 5-10 minutes to launch it the first time around.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also that fist launch took ages, holy shit. It took between 5-10 minutes to launch it the first time around.

It still takes ages. :(

@RoadHazard: That happened to me when I changed the resolution and fullscreen at the same time. Try doing it "full-screen"/let the game change to full-screen and then select your resolution. If that's what you're doing.

Perkel

Banned
---------------- NeoGAF Guild is live ! ---------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leader:

• Perkel (Syko you bastard !)

Officers:

If you want to add you please send PM to Me KKRT or syko Only officers and leaders are able to add new people.

==Things to know:==
-There are currently 6 shared stash tabs where 5 are available to members and 1 for Officers. Only Officers can see Officer stash tab.
-Guild stash is near your normal stash.
-You can't share stuff between leagues. It works exactly like your normal stash. when league will end all stuff will go to standard/hardcore guildstash.

if you have proposal for guild stuff send PM to one of officers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barely played for 25 minutes as a witch and I'm already throwing fireballs and raising zombies to fight for me. I like how you feel like a badass this early on.

SSD helps a lot. For me it is like few seconds (10-13) to start game.

Scipius

Anyway, the achievements (which didn't exist last time I played this game), I can't get them without starting a new character? Seems like there are a few I should already have if they were retroactive, so I guess not.

You won't get the achievements for defeating bosses retroactively (i.e. you'll have to beat them once more), but the level-based achievements you'll get just for loading a character that is already at that or a higher level. The Scion one will unlock just after starting with her if you've beaten the campaign in closed beta.

Top Bottom