• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rubius

I saw on the planner that there's an ability to raise an NPC ally like the Necromancers? Or am I reading that skill/passive wrong?

Well you have gems that can summon skeletons and Zombies and Wraith. And in the Skill tree, on the Top Middle, you have all the summoners skills like having more followers, giving your followers shields and more life and all that. There is 3 kind of passives.
1. The stat boost : +2 str and all that, they are really common all the way in the "Highways" of the tree
2. You also have the Status bonuses like +10% damage with Swords or Life upgrades.
3. The game changers, who are bigger than others and are placed in the middle or on the borders and change stuff in a big way. There is a skill that remove your energy shield so that your character do not have it, but give it to your summons.
Or my favorite for the Marauder : Remove your Mana. You can use Life as Mana.
With Life Steal Gems, a big Regeneration and Potions, you can spam skills all day.
Mages have the other way around, where they they have a skill that put Life at 1, but boost the energy shield instead. It's risky but can make stuff more interesting too if you have a really high Energy Shield.

Tom Penny

I saw on the planner that there's an ability to raise an NPC ally like the Necromancers? Or am I reading that skill/passive wrong?

Those are skills gems. Raise spectre. There is also summon skeletons, summon zombies that you can add a node that makes them explode and deal damage when they die etc...summoner witch is kind of fun. There is also a melee skill that any enemy you kill becomes an ally in dominating blow gem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's a Skill Gem. You can increase the number of skeletons/zombies/whatever with passive gems.

Probably Raise Spectre, which will revive a dead monster as a ghost to fight for you.

"Necromantic Aegis." Near the start but you have to snake around to it from the Shadow start.

I guess I just need to let go of the Diablo-2 "skill" system and learn gems that are skills. Guess that means to go look for a "Necromancer"-like Gem that'll let me raise a helper and then get one of the elementals (if they dominate? Otherwise get the three for balance if they have a higher difficulty setting like Diablo's resistances planned?) and go to work?

Clawww

Sweet OP.

Any resources for beginners? Can I just jump in and do alright? I'm kind of terrible at Diablo-esque games :(

Althane

I decided to go and try and pull off a summon witch.

Only level 6, and going slow since it's my first time playing this kind of game since Titan Quest about five/six years ago.

Still fun though. And so. Damn. Beautiful.

"Necromantic Aegis." Near the start but you have to snake around to it from the Shadow start.

I guess I just need to let go of the Diablo-2 "skill" system and learn gems that are skills. Guess that means to go look for a "Necromancer"-like Gem that'll let me raise a helper and then get one of the elementals (if they dominate? Otherwise get the three for balance if they have a higher difficulty setting like Diablo's resistances planned?) and go to work?

If you're on the Hardcore league, be careful of grabbing Nerco Aegis, shields are a big life saver against monsters that charge at you. On the subject of life savers, while it may be tempting to get all the summon nodes as fast as you can, be sure to put your survival ahead of the summons, that goes double if you're on a HC league, get a few summons stuff and don't pass up HP/ES nodes along the way, you can always respec those points later on if you plan to take Chaos Inoculation. Also grab this: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sidhebreath when you can

The three gems you'll be looking for as a summoner is summon skeletons, raise zombie and raise spectre. Summoners also have the added bonus of having a ton of extra skill points to spend on whatever they want after, like: More mana shield or life to take some hits from desync or taking the double curse keystone at the top middle. Running a few auras ain't bad as well, I found Purity to help a lot with summons later on down the road.

I'm sure this has been asked already, but is there any streamlining of selling loot from the D2 system (i.e. like the pet in Torchlight)? My inventory fills up pretty quickly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, you can remove gems unlike Diablo. Guess I'll start to use Gems now instead of hoarding them like packrat. Hoorah.

I'm sure this has been asked already, but is there any streamlining of selling loot from the D2 system (i.e. like the pet in Torchlight)? My inventory fills up pretty quickly.

Gotta hoof it(Port) to town and NPC that stuff, nothing like TL1/2's pet selling in this game.

rtcn63

It's not really worth picking up or identifying anything you're probably not gonna use. I only picked up blues and higher, if that. Possibly bad advice.

RS4-

Spectral throw is so hnnnnnnnnghhhhhh!!!!

Lol yeah, been using that non stop with my duelist.

Guys, should I use reave or cleave? Played more today than I did in the months I had the beta.

And damn server going down for the patch, was in level 3 of uhh, one of those dungeons in a2; something about the Blackguard.

K.Sabot

Scion seems just bad.

Struggles with stats real badly early game, no good nodes until you reach other classes, spectral throw isn't even that great with her.

Might just reroll into another ranger to do a spectral throw build.

Are fire witch builds viable? Does anyone have any good ones you can share? I'm waiting to reset my witch until I find some guidance on the best builds...

Rubius

You are supposed to pick and choose what you want to pick up. I check if the Whites have good slots or I leave them there, and I dont pick up all the blues I see either. I keep the artifacts and identify them in case there is some Chaos resistance, which trade for Orbs fragment to create Artifacts.
Maps have only 6 Doors, and each door close when you enter it. So if you go with a group of 4, 4 door are used. And you cannot go back to town and sell without using an another door. So you have to pick and choose what you want.

Stop picking up crap.

Teleport scrolls are really common

It's not really worth picking up or identifying anything you're probably not gonna use. I only picked up blues and higher, if that. Possibly bad advice.

Gotta hoof it(Port) to town and NPC that stuff, nothing like TL1/2's pet selling in this game.
Cool, thanks. This game is giving me crazy D2 vibes so far. Much moreso than Torchlight and even D3 did. Seems pretty sweet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I haven't played this in a while, but feel like getting into it again. What do I need to think about when migrating from the stand-alone client to the Steam one? Do I just uninstall the old one, download the new one, and start playing? (I know there's an issue right now, but let's assume the patch to fix it has been released when I do this.) Also, regarding the rebalancing of the passive skill tree, what does this mean for my character? If a certain node I've already chosen has been changed/deleted/moved, or there's a new one in a path I've already gone down (have nodes actually been added or deleted, or just changed?), what happens? Will my stats just change according to the new tree, or will the game let me repick stuff? Anything else that might have changed with my character? Weapons, gems, etc?

That's right. Playing as the Witch will get you access the most to summon-related skill gems since you get them as quest rewards.

Also, Necromatic Aegis is a keystone passive that affects minions. They get all the stats from your shield, but you no longer get them. So it's a big buff to your meatshield but leaves you vulnerable if enemies get close.

Rubius

Ah, I didn't realize skill tree changed a lot. I just got back into the game.

Weird. I double posted. Anyway, yeah. I would say... well focus on fire and mana. There is big fire circles in the skill tree so it's pretty straight forward for most of the build I think.

Sarcasm

I can't find any info on the league's you can choose, can anybody help me?

I am in class at the moment..yay accounting, have been looking at my phone entire time lol.

krpiper

Stupid question but if I am playing solo what happens when I die?

Also do I need the sound for this game? It seems perfect to watch netflix in my other monitor or listen to podcasts

I can't find any info on the league's you can choose, can anybody help me?

I am in class at the moment..yay accounting, have been looking at my phone entire time lol.
trPA1Ec.jpg

Domination: Shrines will pop up that buff monsters around it, you can lure the monsters away or run into the pack and tag it to steal the buff for yourself for about 30 second, think shrines from D2 but they buff monsters if left unclaimed.

Nemesis: Rare monsters can now have an extra nemesis mod added onto them, like healing every time something dies around it.

Stupid question but if I am playing solo what happens when I die?

Also do I need the sound for this game? It seems perfect to watch netflix in my other monitor or listen to podcasts

You die and you respawn back in town. On standard leagues, if you're on hard or higher, you'll lose some EXP. If it was hardcore, you are kicked from the HC league into standard. As for sound, by the time you could hear something, you've already seen them and can identify any threat visually. Monsters that do make some kind of noise before you can see them, off the top of my head, are necromancers and those big ass bug things in act 3 that shoot fireballs

justjim89

So what's the free to play catch here? Played for about 2 hours so far as a shadow class and really enjoying it, though perhaps not as much charm as TL2. But I'm like waiting for the other shoe to fall in terms of microtransactions. Why is this game free?

Tom Penny

So what's the free to play catch here? Played for about 2 hours so far as a shadow class and really enjoying it, though perhaps not as much charm as TL2. But I'm like waiting for the other shoe to fall in terms of microtransactions. Why is this game free?

LOL you will run out of room for all your loot and donate like $20 bucks for some stash tabs.

Game has certainly changed. I respec'd my ranger and with Blood Magic you can basically only run 1 aura but there are new nodes that buff auras so it makes you really choose which one to use. I think this is for a more group dynamic.

Ketch

So I played a bunch of this while in beta (like 40 hours or so...) it's pretty good. I'm biggest issues with it were the animations and quest design felt clunky. Have they done anything to address that stuff?

inky

The stash tabs is the only thing you'll realistically need. That's the only catch. Even then, you get 20+ character slots, so if you want to work around it you can use the old and tired trick of making a few mules. It's inconvenient, so just drop $15 for some stash tabs and support the game =D

Top Bottom