• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Are there any passive skills that change dex into damage?

No, but dexterity already increases your weapon damage indirectly by increasing your hit percentage.

Am I the only one who finds Animate Weapon a bit meh? I'll stick with it and get some levels but so far I'm not impressed.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the point of the ability is. Feels like a worse version of the Skeleton summon.

Died on the act 3 boss. Went to hover mouse over the rain debuff to see what was happening and died. Lol.

I pretty much had no problems before that though. Maxed resists + shield, nothing hurt me.

RS4-

iwGPa94.jpg

Ugh, there was an impenetrable shrine and one of those totems that regen ally hp; wasn't paying much attention and made the mistake of not putting up a portal outside the room.

Was not fun making my way back there.

Anyway going DW duelist.

Tom Penny

Are there any passive skills that change dex into damage?

I've never seen that. Dex affect evasion rating as far as I know unless you get the iron reflexes node which turns any evasion on your items into pure armour which is very common. Then you run the Grace aura which increases your evasion which becomes even more armour...

I've been wanting to do an acrobat ranger. I screwed up my respec on my old ranger so maybe I will do a crit ranger..so I can one shot myself on reflect enemies :)

Carm

Finally got around to checking this out today, I can't and won't speak of the gameplay but the game itself and how it's setup does not leave a good first impression. Up to 30 seconds looking at a black screen upon starting the game before even getting to the log in screen is an odd choice. More of an issue is the fact that apparently character names instead of account name is server wide, that's pretty disappointing and I'm a little surprised they went that way.

Perkel

Banned
Finally got around to checking this out today, I can't and won't speak of the gameplay but the game itself and how it's setup does not leave a good first impression. Up to 30 seconds looking at a black screen upon starting the game before even getting to the log in screen is an odd choice. More of an issue is the fact that apparently character names instead of account name is server wide, that's pretty disappointing and I'm a little surprised they went that way.

Well if for you waiting 30sec for initial load and unique names are problem....

btw PM me with your character name so i will add you to our guild

So I'm level 17 and am headed towards this build. Already I notice how squishy I am. The only spell gems I have atm are fireball, incinerate, raise dead, and electric trap. Often, unless I have the undead I raise around me, high level mobs take me down. I have to be careful and kite on occasion. Here is my buildL Passive skill tree build. Maybe I should put my next two points towards energy shield (arcane focus -> +6% max shield -> %18 max shield). What do you think?

Z..

Planning on starting this with some friends tomorrow night... which character classes are the most versatile? I'm leaning towards templar or duelist.

garath

So are the steam connection issues resolved now? I couldn't get into the game at all last night after linking my GGG account to steam. Just kept sitting at "connecting to server"

Card Boy

Banned
Planning on starting this with some friends tomorrow night... which character classes are the most versatile? I'm leaning towards templar or duelist.

They are all flexible that's the beauty of the PoE passive tree and skill system. It depends on what type of character you want and you make a character based on where it starts on the tree.

j-wood

So how does weapon type work on the witch? Is it like D2 at all? Does weapon damage and whatnot affect your spells if your using say a sword?

zon

It really sounds like they made the game more fun to play, but I have to wait to try it out again. Shitty internet sucks :(

Perkel

Banned
So how does weapon type work on the witch? Is it like D2 at all? Does weapon damage and whatnot affect your spells if your using say a sword?

No weapon damage is completely other thing to magic damage.

You can't add more magic damage by adding heavy hammer which has high DPS.

Spell damage comes from gems themselves and their level and your passives. Then there are also items they will boost your spell power (wands and magic shields) though you can get spell damage on most of armor pieces (beside armor).

In summary it is not like in D3 where fireball damage is scaled off weapon you hold.

Rubius

Thanks.

I started as a Duelist. I'm hoping the gear gets better... I'm sure it will, it's always crap at the start :)

By the end of Act 2 you should have gotten pretty cool stuff. Maybe even an unique with a weird thing going for it. There is a pair of glove in PoE that boost unarmed damage by 800% to 1000%. So you could go all monk for a while. AND it add special, more gory animations when you kill stuff.
I like that Uniques are game changers in Path of Exile.
facebreaker%20strapped%20mitts.jpg

muu

Is there any way to map keys to mouse wheel outside of using an external program? Had a hell of a time yesterday vegging out on my couch w/ a trackball mouse, this would make it all the more easier to do so.

Rubius

Is there any way to map keys to mouse wheel outside of using an external program? Had a hell of a time yesterday vegging out on my couch w/ a trackball mouse, this would make it all the more easier to do so.

You mean Down and up or you mean Mouse wheel click? Because the click is by default. For up and down, I dont think so.

RK9039

Forgot how much I loved this game during the beta. Is there a way to trade items with other players? I have a lot of unwanted/extra skill gems I don't need.

Does dex usually do ranged damage?

No, Dex is more of a defensive stat (which a slight tinge of indirect offense through providing accuracy).

Like I said earlier, just accumulate weapon node (and possibly elemental weapon nodes) and you'll have plenty of offense.

Rubius

Does dex usually do ranged damage?

I dont think so, it does boost your accuracy though. But the STR node will add damage to ranged.
"Dexterity also grants certain passive bonuses:
Every 10 dexterity grants +20 accuracy
Every 10 dexterity grants +2% evasion"
Iron Grip simply apply the physical damage of STR to Ranged attack too. Normally you dont have a stat boost increase. So if you go STR/DEX, a Ranged build is actually pretty good.

RS4-

Damn, I really like cyclone but I don't have the mana to sustain it for my duelist. There isn't a gem/aura that gives you mana on hit is there?

As it stands, it looks like the only way I can keep it up is if I have blood magic + life leech and or life on hit?

edit - oh there's on for mana gain on kill. Ehhh!

So I'm level 17 and am headed towards this build. Already I notice how squishy I am. The only spell gems I have atm are fireball, incinerate, raise dead, and electric trap. Often, unless I have the undead I raise around me, high level mobs take me down. I have to be careful and kite on occasion. Here is my buildL Passive skill tree build. Maybe I should put my next two points towards energy shield (arcane focus -> +6% max shield -> %18 max shield). What do you think?

Go ahead and grab some life nodes as you're going around. While ES nodes are nice, it's not till around late 50's to 60's that ES can start pushing ahead of life's numbers. You get at least 12 respec points from quests, so spending a few SP on life nodes nearby will help ease the pain of leveling while in act 2 and 3. Try to get a spell totem and slap summon skeleton and faster casting on it for ultimate decoy status, however, that faster casting could be gem'd into fireball if you can only find one, you'll have make the call for better DEEPs or better decoy. Also firestorm is not to be underestimated if mobs group a bit, as fireball's AoE is fairly weak without +Area of effect on it from the Skill Tree.

This is a very glass cannon build, so the problems you're feeling now is one of the weaknesses of this kind of build. That said, don't be afraid to alter it as you see fit. Losing a bit of damage for more HP that scales as you level and get new gear is well worth the delay.

red13th

Damn, I really like cyclone but I don't have the mana to sustain it for my duelist. There isn't a gem/aura that gives you mana on hit is there?

As it stands, it looks like the only way I can keep it up is if I have blood magic + life leech and or life on hit?

edit - oh there's on for mana gain on kill. Ehhh!

There's Mana Leech.

Carm

Well if for you waiting 30sec for initial load and unique names are problem....

btw PM me with your character name so i will add you to our guild

Just found the blank screen odd, not really the first thing you want a new player to see for any length of time, this game by no means is the only one with that problem. The naming thing is definitely a no no, this thing has been in beta forever, they had time to adopt the way Blizzard did it in D3. It's great the game seems to be similar to D2 in some ways, I just didn't expect any of the bad things from D2, aka naming characters, to be an issue in 2013.

As for the guild things, thanks but no thanks, it's extremely rare for me to play Diablo clones in a multiplayer fashion. Plus, I'm not quite sure how much I'll be playing, massive backlog and all.

Rubius

I don't know what I'm doing but my Duelist is wielding a warhammer and doing pretty damn good.

Hammers are usually STR weapons, but the Duelist is STR/DEX, so you could easily do a Mace build with it. It's next to the maces nodes too. You could do Dual Maces or go Mace Shield or Twohanded Mace pretty easily.

Perkel

Banned
Just found the blank screen odd, not really the first thing you want a new player to see for any length of time, this game by no means is the only one with that problem. The naming thing is definitely a no no, this thing has been in beta forever, they had time to adopt the way Blizzard did it in D3. It's great the game seems to be similar to D2 in some ways, I just didn't expect any of the bad things from D2, aka naming characters, to be an issue in 2013.

As for the guild things, thanks but no thanks, it's extremely rare for me to play Diablo clones in a multiplayer fashion. Plus, I'm not quite sure how much I'll be playing, massive backlog and all.

That is probably the weirdest thing you can say about any game. 30 sec splash screen with loading on it and that game has unique characters names.

Wanted to try this out, but it crashes on startup with windows 8.1 and references d3d9.dll

Not a common problem either, nothing on their main or steam forums regarding this

oh how I love PC gaming sometimes

Hammers are usually STR weapons, but the Duelist is STR/DEX, so you could easily do a Mace build with it. It's next to the maces nodes too. You could do Dual Maces or go Mace Shield or Twohanded Mace pretty easily.

I just picked whatever of the found weapons I can clear most stuff with. It was a hammer then I found a gold version of it. Cleave is am amazing skill. So just running around with that for now. Really have no clue what build I will end up with.

Carm

That is probably the weirdest thing you can say about any game. 30 sec splash screen with loading on it and that game has unique characters names.

Well, as I said in the first post, I can't comment on the gameplay itself since I have very limited experience with the game. The blank screen load, is just a nitpick, when most games I play are straight to the main menu when the game actually pops up on screen. I'm not sure how wanting to name my what I want in an action rpg is weird.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... that summoner build I had in mind doesn't seem useful. Skeletons and Zombies are too squishy even in the first act. :/ Hopefully putting more points into that area will help them stand up and help me out but I'm starting to have my doubts.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Found one of the new unique rings.

30% more damage when ignited
5000 armor when frozen.

Sounds like a PvP ring to me.

Hmm... that summoner build I had in mind doesn't seem useful. Skeletons and Zombies are too squishy even in the first act. :/ Hopefully putting more points into that area will help them stand up and help me out but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Summoner starts out slow with weak minions. But stick with it. They get incredibly strong if you build passives into them and the gems level up. Some of them end up with like 13K hp. You end up with like 20+ minions. And it will be better once you get Spectres.

+Minion Life nodes, also, as the gems level up, more HP. The minions in my summoner build lasted nearly forever

Top Bottom