• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

I'm not sure why I play hardcore league over domination. I'd probably have more fun playing domination league, but I just don't like the silliness of softcore leagues. There are people who would rather kill themselves just to go to town than logging out and coming back in...

Sarcasm

I'm not sure why I play hardcore league over domination. I'd probably have more fun playing domination league, but I just don't like the silliness of softcore leagues. There are people who would rather kill themselves just to go to town than logging out and coming back in...

Are you talking about Hardcore or Nemesis?

I have a lvl 60 on HC.

Also should rename the leagues as:

Hardcore
Nemesis
Asiacore

I think standard hardcore is more hardcore than nemesis by far. In that league, you are in a barren land with few individuals you meet by chance. Working your way to the top to find the few old geezers still pushing through.

It is by far my favorite league, with no gimmicks or bull shit. I personally do not like shirnes, onslaught, or additional mods...

Rufus

It's no different from Nemesis if you play solo self-found.

The Nemesis mods actually add some tactics, but I've stopped paying attention to anything but Corrupted Blood and Storm Herald.

Sarcasm

CB is short lived once you get the flasks..freakin storm cloud one is op as hell.

But after the first few play-throughs...its really - the additional mods - nothing after the charm wears off.

Tom Penny

Love having to get all the way to merciless then realize the build isn't very good. Some builds just aren't very good soloing. It takes way to long to kill bosses without a strong single attack aka spell builds that use LMP like ethereal knives / freezing pulse. Spectral is the best of both worlds. Ranged and super strong single attack. I've always wanted to do a flicker strike build but don't think I can gear it :(

What? and lose 2 hours worth of exp? Yeah sure...

garath

What? and lose 2 hours worth of exp? Yeah sure...

Seriously. I know hardcore guys bash the softcore leagues but the xp penalty for death is pretty darn steep in the higher levels. It's hours of xp gone in a single death. With my limited playtime I have plenty of incentive not to die in Merciless.

In Merciless if you die, you lose enough xp for it to be a bit of a blow when you die, especially if you're close to leveling. If you're level 70 or higher, you pretty much lose an hour or more of grinding time, which I think is a good enough punishment to deter you from dying.

I tried playing hardcore for a while during the open beta, but all the desync deaths put me off. I won't be going back; domination is plenty of fun for me. PoE has inherent challenges with the passive tree and the correct gear for a build so you can still mess up. Which is good because it means the game is still rewarding.

In normal, you lose 0% of experience if you die I believe. And that's where folks don't really GAF. In cruel, it is a little bit more severe I believe.

I'm not shitting on softcore, because I think it is way more fun than hardcore leagues. I'm just pointing out a little bit of the differences between the two. In hardcore, people are a bit more serious about their builds (which takes away from the fun).

In hardcore, you re-roll all the time which can be quite time consuming. Surprisingly, its still a lot of fun to re-roll. The worst is when you get to merciless and realize that the build simply doesn't cut it. I've re-rolled quite a few times already, and died to some straight bull shit.

In normal, you lose 0% of experience if you die I believe. And that's where folks don't really GAF. In cruel, it is a little bit more severe I believe.

I'm not shitting on softcore, because I think it is way more fun than hardcore leagues. I'm just pointing out a little bit of the differences between the two. In hardcore, people are a bit more serious about their builds (which takes away from the fun).

In hardcore, you re-roll all the time which can be quite time consuming. Surprisingly, its still a lot of fun to re-roll. The worst is when you get to merciless and realize that the build simply doesn't cut it. I've re-rolled quite a few times already, and died to some straight bull shit.

Normal is like 3 hours of gameplay, cruel maybe 4-5...
of course the exp penalty there doesn't matter

at lvl 80 you lose as much exp from a death as it takes to run through normal mode

I died to a game freeze today (10second freeze, hdd started trashing, memory leak? fuck if I know but it happened) , Can't even imagine pissing my scion away due to that on hardcore
I wonder how many hardcore players ragequit the game when they get to maps and get oneshot by the devourer unique in orchard despite 77 percent fire resistance :p there are sooooo many cheap combinations in maps that you only learn through trial and error at endgame.
it literally only takes 1 second of desync to die if it happens at the wrong time. (3300hp 6k armor, 6 endurance charges, overcapped resists and 16 percent life leech -which is way overkill:p so it's not like I'm undergeared or squishy)

KKRT00

It's no different from Nemesis if you play solo self-found.

The Nemesis mods actually add some tactics, but I've stopped paying attention to anything but Corrupted Blood and Storm Herald.

You need to play attention to Soul based mods too. They can be devastating.
And some enemies with teleport are extremely dangerous like Dogs for example.

Nemesis mods make game so much better, i dont know if i could play PoE without them anymore.

---
LOL. No thanks to that. That is silly. So... The trigger gems are basically all lack luster?

No, they are very useful. You just need to be build for them.

By the way, I was struggling earlier with my dual wield physical dagger crit strike/attack speed reave build, but now that I've reached lvl 58 it's going great. I think it's one of those builds where you have to get over a few humps for it to begin to shine. After multistrike, high crit chance/dmg combined with Hatred, I'm destroying things. Went Ghost Reaver keystone so I'm doing energy shield leech (getting it mainly from blood rage), and have life on hit since I have a fast attack speed.

Figured I'd mention it just because I noticed reave was new and getting a lot of flack on pathofexile.com.

Current build if anyone is interested (probably not :p)

Quixzlizx

Nobody (smart) does this on Merciless, with that 10% xp penalty.

You need to play attention to Soul based mods too. They can be devastating.
And some enemies with teleport are extremely dangerous like Dogs for example.

Nemesis mods make game so much better, i dont know if i could play PoE without them anymore.

---

No, they are very useful. You just need to be build for them.

Why are Soul Based mods dangerous?

Rufus

CB is short lived once you get the flasks..freakin storm cloud one is op as hell.
I have a 4.7k life and 166 life regen per seconds and it still catches me by surprise sometimes. I'm up to 20 stacks of CB in no time and suddenly half my health is gone. It seems to vary by monster though. Not sure what scales it. With some, I can have twenty stacks on me and kill them without touching the flask because my regen + life steal can keep up. With others I have to attack in two or three bursts.
Once I had to go away and kill a couple monsters to refill my staunching flask.

And it can kind of blind-side you like regular puncture if you're not paying attention.

Rufus

I think it is the one that when the elite is dead, all the dead mobs around him, including the elite got resurrected.
Yup. If there's anything dangerous lying around, you better watch out. Same for Fracture, actually.
Some mob types are just bad when there's suddenly a dozen of them in one spot. Haven't had a dicey situations with those in a while though.

What still hurts and is unrelated to Nemesis mods is killing a bunch of those porcupine things at once. I can imagine dying a stupid death AoE'ing a pack of those...

KKRT00

Why are Soul Based mods dangerous?

If You kill Soul Eater near Champion pack, it will get buffed to almost unkillable state.
If You kill Soul Conduit near other rare champions, he will ressurect them and You will have to deal 2+ rare mobs at once and every other mob that corpses were near SC death area.

Hey, how much HP should I have heading into the Vaal fight in Merciless?

What does his overhead smash do again? I've never been hit by this, but I don't want to chance it with desync being such a factor.

Where is the best place to level in ACT 2? I still want at least another 2 levels so I can pick up another Endurance Charge before ACT 3. I'm 65 right now. Or maybe I should just say screw it and go for it now?

Gratz on drop.

I am kind of curious, how much does alpha howl runs for?

Anywhere between 3 and 6 exalts.

I would also like to point out that this game looks completely amazing with 3D Vision on. Just set the convergence to have both pictures overlap on your character and everything looks perfect.

Decado

I would also like to point out that this game looks completely amazing with 3D Vision on. Just set the convergence to have both pictures overlap on your character and everything looks perfect.

...except the horrible and huge 2D cursor which, IMO, renders it unplayable.

Hey, how much HP should I have heading into the Vaal fight in Merciless?

What does his overhead smash do again? I've never been hit by this, but I don't want to chance it with desync being such a factor.

Where is the best place to level in ACT 2? I still want at least another 2 levels so I can pick up another Endurance Charge before ACT 3. I'm 65 right now. Or maybe I should just say screw it and go for it now?

Pay someone a chaos to kill Merciless Vaal for you.

Fellshrine is where you level for the most part.

Tanking Vaal's smash in merciless = death.

Raxum

Starting to get burned out with this flicker strike build. It seems to cause far too many desync issues, which get me killed in merciless. I've been trying to farm for a while but one death from about 1 second of desync can set you back a long way, even at level 61.

The build itself is relatively easy to play, and I probably wouldn't be having much trouble without the desync (except for the occasional time getting frozen), but it also doesn't help that I am having a hard time finding decent gear with resists. Managed to beat Merveil in merciless first try, without dying (which I'm glad for, i forgot to port scroll). But now I'm finding difficulty dealing with tankier enemies like the cave beasts and the rock formations. I just can't keep up frenzy charges to flicker strike through packs of them.

Might spend about 5 levels or so farming fellshrine before I move too much further through the game, I just feel like I need better gear. (and I'm actually looking for a Kaom's Primacy axe, though from what I can tell, they're really rare and quite sought after so I doubt I'll be able to buy one)

zon

I pussied out and payed for someone to kill Dominus for me. So now I'm finally in Merciless. Now I don't have to deal with dominus or caliga ever again! :D

...except the horrible and huge 2D cursor which, IMO, renders it unplayable.

No, like I said - set the convergence so your character is overlapped by both images. Your mouse cursor will then be at the same depth as your character. At least with recent nv drivers. Try it, it's completely perfect for me nowadays, not a single glitch.

KKRT00

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10v7vI8eNgEaW4ycGh3NWpSaHM/edit

I don't even, what.

In other news, trappers are fun.

Haha, thats pretty cool :)

=======

We're currently in full production mode for 1.0.2, which is due to be released on November 26, US time. This news post covers a broad overview of the planned content for this patch.

We're expecting 1.0.2 will contain:

The final touches on the rapid-fire PvP Tournaments for PvP Season One. We'll post more in the news about this in the near future.
Another new active skill. We're trying to design it to be a good primary skill (like Spectral Throw was) rather than a secondary skill like Searing Bond or Arctic Armour.
Several new Unique items (probably 4-5).
Some more new vendor recipes.
More achievements.
Several new microtransactions. There are interesting new ones in the works.
A revamp of end-game Map sizes and mods. We'll probably post more about this in the news next week. One of our goals is to make the Maps larger.
The Damage over Time update (described here) is likely to be ready for 1.0.2 but we're not making promises on this one yet. It's a very dangerous change and we want to make sure it's fully tested.
A fix to the problem that occurs when you get too many effects on the same entity. You'll know what I mean if you were ever on fire while using Blood Rage.
The ability to exit to the character selection screen rather than the main menu. This may be patched in earlier than 1.0.2.

There's plenty more that will be in the patch of course (THESE ARE NOT PATCH NOTES). We'll let you know next week as we get closer to finishing it!

Chris is busy as usual :)

Do they even sleep in New Zealand? :p

Tom Penny

I finally starting using cast on damage taken then realize it's worthless to upgrade the gem. How did nobody realize this. I had to waste scouring to lower the gem level SMH. The more you level it the more damage you have to take for it to cast LOL

If anyone didn't know if you accidently over level a gem and can't use it or something go to the vendor and sell it with one scouring. It lowers it 1 level each time you were to do it.

garath

I finally starting using cast on damage taken then realize it's worthless to upgrade the gem. How did nobody realize this. I had to waste scouring to lower the gem level SMH. The more you level it the more damage you have to take for it to cast LOL

If anyone didn't know if you accidently over level a gem and can't use it or something go to the vendor and sell it with one scouring. It lowers it 1 level each time you were to do it.

No one leveled it pre-patch. Post patch it looks like they nerfed it:

Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.

There's lots of hoopla about it in the forums.

Syril

I didn't think you could overlevel a gem to the point where you couldn't use it. I have a DEX-based gem on my marauder and it grayed out the level-up button because I wouldn't meet the new requirements.

I hope they make it so you can see what changes the gem will get if you level it up. It would be nice to know if any given level will raise the mana cost.

garath

I didn't think you could overlevel a gem to the point where you couldn't use it. I have a DEX-based gem on my marauder and it grayed out the level-up button because I wouldn't meet the new requirements.

I hope they make it so you can see what changes the gem will get if you level it up. It would be nice to know if any given level will raise the mana cost.

You can overlevel it because of gear. I do that sometimes. Have a +15 dex piece of gear on, replace it and suddenly can't use your LMP gem.

I hate the lack of info on leveling up gems :( I usually keep the wiki up on my second monitor and double check if I don't know what the level up is going to do.

Tom Penny

No one leveled it pre-patch. Post patch it looks like they nerfed it:

Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.

There's lots of hoopla about it in the forums.

Well it makes sense. Why should u be able to use a cast on damage level one gem an with and uber level 17-20 gem. Way to overpowered. Doesn't really matter form me now since it's just linked to enduring cry and enfeeble but it's now worthless for molten shell. Not sure if it's still worth it for low level Blood Magic.

garath

I bought X: Rebirth, but the last 3 hours i spent on thinking and calculating new build lol.
This game is madness.

Oh crap. I forgot X:Rebirth was out. I want it.

I've gotten a little bored of my spectral thrower. Merciless is just another grind. Going to start a crit dagger/evasion build. Should be painful and fun.

Top Bottom