• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Sarcasm

Only bad ping is with poe. I mean hell I get at min 5.5mb down steam. Can raid with forty people in the eastern us with less ping.

Honestly I am about to stop playing cause of ping and desyncs which really sucks cause I like the game.

And my isp is not in the Philippines. It's in Taiwan where I live. 100 down and 20 up for around 14USD. Includes tv and phone.

And my isp is not in the Philippines. It's in Taiwan where I live. 100 down and 20 up for around 14USD. Includes tv and phone.

I know. What I'm saying is that the Philippine ISP in question actually affects its neighboring countries. It doesn't matter if you're in Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.. It can affect you.

Bandwidth is irrelevant to latency as well. You can have a magical 1Tbps connection but still have the same latency as someone with 500KBps.

Sarcasm

How can it affect only poe? When I play killing floor with a friend who hosts in UK? I have 24 stops before I get there and yet my ms it's 160 and really steady..the lag is non existent. Okay poe solo in Australia on a gold day I get that.

Risk of rain I get 60ms with my friends in the states lol.

foamdino

Haven't really played since the switch to Steam. Thought I'd try this new nemesis league - good god this game is addictive!

I think they've altered the drop rates recently as I'm finding way more loot now (including my first ever regal orb [I've been playing since closed beta] - so about 2 years).

I'm trying to build a shadow with evasion + life and go with acrobatics (I'm probably going to die in Act 2, but screw it).

To unlock Scion, you just have to finish normal on any league right? So I can cheese it through scrubcore to unlock the Scion and then create a new Scion in nemesis?

Rufus

How come she's not unlocked already? Since you've played since closed beta she should be available to you already. Or did you top playing before they added Act 3 or something? Not sure if that would matter, but...

V_Arnold

To unlock Scion, you just have to finish normal on any league right? So I can cheese it through scrubcore to unlock the Scion and then create a new Scion in nemesis?

If you keep using words like scrubcore, GGG will remove your rights to play Scion, so watch out for that one. Otherwise, yes. You cheese through it (remember to not put a single point to health/life/resist, softcore is like that...), and then you enter the Heaven of Demesynch....I mean Nemesis.

KKRT00

Let's say you level both to 18. They would link, but at 18, it takes 2.7k damage to trigger and you'd only get about 900 armour from a level 18 Molten Shell. If you're taking that big of a hit, 900 armour isn't going to matter a whole lot. It's not that useful as a defensive bonus.

Its total damage though, not in one hit. Molten Shell still works quite fine with cast on damage taken, just worse.

Molten Shell isn't so great with CWDT now. You'll want to level Molten Shell as high as possible, but with the changes to CWDT, you'd have to level it too, negating Molten Shell's already limited usefullness. Let's say you level both to 18. They would link, but at 18, it takes 2.7k damage to trigger and you'd only get about 900 armour from a level 18 Molten Shell. If you're taking that big of a hit, 900 armour isn't going to matter a whole lot. It's not that useful as a defensive bonus.
You're better off with Enduring Cry (although it might not be as good for casters, considering it taunts as well), Enfeeble and whatever other curse is beneficial to your build in particular.

1: 2.7k dmg isn't much at lvl 70+ maps, you have a ton of lifeleech to keep your hp up (hp over time flasks do literally NOTHING anymore I just carry a panic instaheal flask and bleed removal/freeze removal and my 3000armor flask with 87 percent armor bonus)

2: it's still up when it matters (when you take a big chunk of damage and need extra survivability, if you need the 900 armor all the time then you're simply not geared for the area/map you're in)

I just picked up a regular amulet with a +3 Life Gain on Hit mod.

This is so nuts with LA+LMP+Pierce+Piercing Shots that I have right now.

Rufus

Its total damage though, not in one hit. Molten Shell still works quite fine with cast on damage taken, just worse.
I know. It's pretty neat in reflect maps, my endurance charges have nearly 100% up-time. I still don't like it with Molthen Shell any more though. If a bunch of small hits hurt you that much without it you don't have enough armour. Same for DoTs. It would only help with Puncture, but your life regen is probably going to matter more than armour in that case.

1: 2.7k dmg isn't much at lvl 70+ maps, you have a ton of lifeleech to keep your hp up (hp over time flasks do literally NOTHING anymore I just carry a panic instaheal flask and bleed removal/freeze removal and my 3000armor flask with 87 percent armor bonus)

2: it's still up when it matters (when you take a big chunk of damage and need extra survivability, if you need the 900 armor all the time then you're simply not geared for the area/map you're in)
900 armour doesn't mean shit if yor're getting chunked for more than half your health. If he desperately wants to use it with Molten Shell I'd get another CWDT to keep at lvl 1 for Enduring Cry and Curses. If he has to choose though... Just don't expect Molten Shell to save you from that second hit.

Kalnos

Banned
Athene is so bad. This is amazing:

ibqkKE9hTEswuJ.gif

inky

Even Kongor is better than that, lol.

How can it affect only poe? When I play killing floor with a friend who hosts in UK? I have 24 stops before I get there and yet my ms it's 160 and really steady..the lag is non existent. Okay poe solo in Australia on a gold day I get that.

Risk of rain I get 60ms with my friends in the states lol.

Well, there are many factors, sometimes it is just due to things out of our control like 3rd party specific server hardware or ISP configs and whatnot. With LoL I get 60-70ms, with Marvel Heroes I get 80-90, with PoE I get 40-50, with D3 I get 120+. There's no real logic to it. I live in Mexico and if I am connecting to the US the differences between all these should be minimal, but, surprisingly, the one I get the best connection with is PoE and the worse is D3 (still get desyncs like everyone and shit). I know it sucks, I sometimes find a game like that that I want to play really bad and the connection simply isn't there =/

Rokal

900 armour doesn't mean shit if yor're getting chunked for more than half your health. If he desperately wants to use it with Molten Shell I'd get another CWDT to keep at lvl 1 for Enduring Cry and Curses. If he has to choose though... Just don't expect Molten Shell to save you from that second hit.

I'm new to the game, so I don't yet understand why there are situations where people will chose not to level a skill gem. Increasing resource costs?

Kalnos

Banned
I'm new to the game, so I don't yet understand why there are situations where people will chose not to level a skill gem. Increasing resource costs?

Increased stat requirements, increased mana requirements, and in some special cases like synergy with 'trigger' support gems such as Cast on Damage Taken.

Syril

The stat requirements increase too, which may render it unusable later if your stats are being increased by equipment.

Rufus

That is mostly the case, yes. Clarity (often only leved to 3, very few people max it. I think the 'optimal' level is 13), Detonate Dead (little point going above 1), Curses, Cleave (at 4, if you're Elemental Cleave), etc.
In the case of CWDT it is, or was pointless to level it. The linked skills don't use resources (nuts) and have no casting time (also nuts) and the only thing leveling it did was to increase the damage threshold, so unless you wanted some things to really only go off when you take more than 440 damage, there was no reason at all to level it. Now they changed it to only allow skills which have a level requirement at or below the level of CWDT, so you have to be smarter about what you link with it and how far, if at all you level them and CWDT itself. The nerf was needed, but I'd rather they had just inverted the trigger values.

Someone killed me while doing Oaks, I should had let him pick first. Oh well =/

There's a "popular" playing going around doing this. They make a room like, "Killing Oak, TP up NOW" and you join thinking nothing of it. All of a sudden, before you can react correctly, you are dead.

It happened to me a couple weeks ago, and made me very annoyed. I'm not sure why people do this, but it really sucks ass.

Clydefrog

My ranger has made it through most of the game! I’m in Act 3 Merciless and will have to get a little creative to beat General Gravicius. The only time I’ve needed help was in Cruel during the fight with Dominus; I needed a tank buddy to help.

I bought Greater Multiple Projectiles from someone last night for 5 chaos orbs. I am not using it yet; just leveling it up until it gets worth the 200% mana multiplier! Jesus! I already have a few nodes for “reduced mana reserved” so I can run two auras at once (clarity and purity of elements); should I pick up a few nodes of “reduced mana cost of skills” if I’m going to start using big-time gems on a 6-socket bow?

I’ve also got a few map drops… scared to use them though. Do I need a group to do them or should I just go solo?

Oh and I HATE THE IMPERIAL GARDENS

Raxum

So, I've hit a bit of an annoying spot on my flicker strike build. Act 3 Merciless, I can easily farm the docks with maybe a few scares , and I can also do some white level 66 maps (being level 67). However, I can't deal with any of the enemies at the barracks at all, for some reason, I just die when I get there. Maybe I don't have enough armour or something? I'm only at about 32% phys damage reduction. but have 65+% resists for fire, cold and lightning and about 3.2k health.

I got a hold of The Blood Dance boots, which have made things a lot easier. I can do maps and such now, but I just can't survive those damn shield charge guys in the barracks. I guess I probably need to farm a lot more, and buy myself a CODT gem to use with enduring cry. Also probably need a 5-6 slot item for my flicker strike at the moment, missing melee splash for the crowd control atm. Or a Bringer of Rain helmet (to negate 2 of the gems I'd use).

All in all, enjoying the build, I just wish the weaknesses weren't so glaring, or so punishing in Merciless. I seem to die every 5-6 runs to desync or to 3 large packs of blue enemies being nearby each other (which stops me keep my frenzy charges up as they don't die in a couple of flicker strikes). Maybe I should just pack it up and start another character for now.

Ok. I think I'm at the point I'm ready to start running maps.

This is my current build for my Leap Slam character: Right here

Capped at 77% resists, -24 Chaos, 5 Endurance charges, 9k armour with Determination, 4.1k HP, and 2500ish with Leap Slam, and almost 7k with Heavy Strike.

Any of you experienced mappers have any suggestions?

Kammie

Is there anyone here with a Lightning Arrow ranger build who can tell me how much HP and mana you have, and what level you are, at endgame?

That is hilarious, just not paying attention or can you stop the bleed while in battle?

He could just not move when he has a bleed if he doesn't have a potion ...
he's just terrible:p

ot : this game is the single only game that makes my pc totally shit itself
my hdd goes insane playing this, sometimes it'll crash and my pc will respond slowly for like 5 minutes straight

also really dissapointed in endgame , there is no real gear progression (very low drop chance for the items you might need so you end up just buying/selling like in diablo 3)
edit: to clarify I do find some good items, but almost NEVER ones I actually need for my build or to fill in my last gear slots to balance resists etc, for example I found 2 5 link weapons and a few good gear items etc but the odds of finding boots with the properties that I need for my build are like 1:5000
I need boots with 60+life , the obvious runspeed, 30+ fire resist and either some frost or chaos resist , and if it pleased the rng gods some str/IIR/good armor or evasion would make for perfect boots, but the odds are literally 1 in several thousand of just finding imperfect boots with a usefull roll.
So instead I end up selling the stuff I find and buying what I need from others, which takes all the fun out of loot as item drops are now basically just bags of gold to me to squirrel together till I can buy what I need from a player who got that elusive drop roll for my build/char/setup.

And its hard to balance your gear
You need max resists 4k+ hp, some chaos resist so you don't get gibbed by the spider bosses or the chaos exile, might need mana leech on your gear depending onbuild -I do-
This stuff is just the baseline so you can do maps without dying and losing an hour + of exp each time

Then you want IIR so you aren't farming these maps hundreds of times for nothing.

The maps have all kinds of cool mods on them but people generally don't do those mods often, they reroll the maps until they get the right mods that are easy and give high item quantity , as doing the harder mods isn't worth it due to the exp penalty

I've hit lvl 77 , got a 5 link chest but endgame is just a grind now.
Crafting is also not enjoyable if you aren't a chronic gambler, as you can easily blow 300 fusings on a weapon and still not 5 link it, or blow 100 chaos on a 6 link item with bad rolls and often still not get useful rolls on the item, it's just safer , faster and cheaper to just buy the items from others with that currency )
Also even with the right gear there's still some very cheap bosses. (ignoring the ones that WILL kill you if you desync even once like the devourer or the prison boss in maps)
Yesterday I ran into a bossroom (no damage map mods so it was a safe version of the map) with 21k armor 5 endurance charges 3600 hp and resist cap and the spider boss back to back blink strikes me and kills me in <1 second, mashing hp panic pots while getting lifeleech rolling obviously doesn't work when it happens that fast. And there goes an hour of exp
There's a few maps with bosses like that (villa with the lightning traps where no amount of resists will save you, overgrown shrine, spider's lair) that people simply avoid running because of it.

rolling alts for different builds through normal - merciless and then starting over is probably the most enjoyable way to play this and the best thing about the game, there is little incentive to keep playing at endgame (unless you are a sucker for gambling or enjoy chasing stats but that stuff isn't really for me)

foamdino

If you keep using words like scrubcore, GGG will remove your rights to play Scion, so watch out for that one. Otherwise, yes. You cheese through it (remember to not put a single point to health/life/resist, softcore is like that...), and then you enter the Heaven of Demesynch....I mean Nemesis.

Ok - perhaps scrubcore is a trifle inflammatory. So the unlock happens regardless of the original league you start in (standard, hardcore, nemesis etc.)

Just up to act 2 nemesis and so far it seems easier than the open beta hardcore league - I honestly think some balance changes have occurred recently.

The furthest I've managed is Act 3 just before Piety (on normal, before the addition of Dominus), so yes I'm a terrible player, but the game feels like it is designed to be played with perma-death so that's how I'm playing it.

Ok - perhaps scrubcore is a trifle inflammatory. So the unlock happens regardless of the original league you start in (standard, hardcore, nemesis etc.)

Just up to act 2 nemesis and so far it seems easier than the open beta hardcore league - I honestly think some balance changes have occurred recently.

The furthest I've managed is Act 3 just before Piety (on normal, before the addition of Dominus), so yes I'm a terrible player, but the game feels like it is designed to be played with perma-death so that's how I'm playing it.

It's funny that you use the word scrubcore when you've never played past the tutorial then.
How many times have you OOCed out this week in your mancore mode? (made that word up on the spot)

PatzCU

I'm about to fire this up with a few friends for the first time. We're hoping this will be our new go to multiplayer game once a week or so when we have time to crack open some beers and hang out on Skype.

Question - Playing casually, are there any serious pitfalls to watch out for in creating and developing a character? The skill tree is obviously extremely intimidating, but I feel like the game won't be as fun if I just go look up what builds Kripp or other streamers are using. At the same time, I don't want anyone to dig themselves into a hole because they unknowingly picked a horrible character spec.

Biggest pitfall of character builds is building glass cannon. It doesn't matter what class you are. You have to build defense. Even if you're ranged, you'll eventually run into enemies that spam you with projectiles, or get on your face, or even ones that reflect damage back.

When planning your character, try to limit yourself to 60 points. It's too tempting to start another character to try another build (and again and again) so you won't end up with an 80pt build.

Since you're playing with friends, don't play Hardcore.

PatzCU

Biggest pitfall of character builds is building glass cannon. It doesn't matter what class you are. You have to build defense. Even if you're ranged, you'll eventually run into enemies that spam you with projectiles, or get on your face, or even ones that reflect damage back.

When planning your character, try to limit yourself to 60 points. It's too tempting to start another character to try another build (and again and again) so you won't end up with an 80pt build.

Since you're playing with friends, don't play Hardcore.

Thanks for the advice!

Sarcasm

Corrupting blood is really not the top one. I don't even have a remove bleed flask and I am fine with them.

Storm Herald on the other hand I don't even touch.

Kammie

also really dissapointed in endgame , there is no real gear progression (very low drop chance for the items you might need so you end up just buying/selling like in diablo 3)
edit: to clarify I do find some good items, but almost NEVER ones I actually need for my build or to fill in my last gear slots to balance resists etc, for example I found 2 5 link weapons and a few good gear items etc but the odds of finding boots with the properties that I need for my build are like 1:5000
Well from what I've read, getting what you want is more about rerolling the stats a hundred times than it is getting a perfect one to drop.

I think the main thing is that the goals in this game are pretty long-term. You're not gonna level in a day... it's gonna take a week. Need a ring upgrade? Maybe two weeks! And so on. It's definitely not casual.

Edit: Somehow derped and didn't read your full post. Anyway, if the balance bugs you, why don't you make a post on the official forums? The devs are all over that thing, maybe it's a balance issue they need to fix. And if not, maybe you'll get some interesting input.

foamdino

It's funny that you use the word scrubcore when you've never played past the tutorial then.
How many times have you OOCed out this week in your mancore mode? (made that word up on the spot)

OOC = Out of Client? So like hitting escape and logging out?

Erm never - I don't have the reactions to do that and get away with it to be honest. The reason why I've never finished normal is because I make stupid decisions, (like thinking I can tank void bearers - oops) and I don't have the time to dedicate to gaming like I used to have. I also try to play the races (when they are on at a reasonable time), so I don't stick to a single character.

To be honest I should not have used scrubcore, I was just watching a youtube video and that term was used and I went with it. I play the game in hardcore mode as I *feel* that it is the way the game was designed to be played. I also play other rogue-like games with permadeath because that's what I enjoy. I don't claim to be good and I don't claim to have the time to dedicate to any game to be considered a 'pro' player, but I do enjoy permadeath games, even if I don't finish them.

DrSlek

Oysh. I get up to Merveil with my Nemesis Marauder. Equip his with a boss unique I found a while ago, and beat the shit out of her.

I kill her, and the doorbell rings. I go to answer it, come back and I'm dead. I forgot about her second form.

foamdino

Oysh. I get up to Merveil with my Nemesis Marauder. Equip his with a boss unique I found a while ago, and beat the shit out of her.

I kill her, and the doorbell rings. I go to answer it, come back and I'm dead. I forgot about her second form.

This summer I was doing the Act 2 pyramid - I swear every damn time I started it I got interrupted - kid, wife, people at door, whatever. I started that damn pyramid 10+ times before I finished it (was so scared of losing my character I had to log out every time). Consequently lost the character to snakes in Sarn immediately after.

Top Bottom