• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

TGMIII

Died in decent to brutus with 10 minutes left, he was constantly hitting me across the room with the slam. Any time I use any AOE skill I get unplayable amounts of desync.

Greg

I'm not sure how there's any disconnect at all.

Find item you want on poe.xyz.is -> add person with item as friend -> upon seeing said person online, inquire about purchase of said item.

It's a pretty simple three step process.
There are people that don't respond to in-game messages about items on the forums unless they've made the sale on the forum, and most end up creating their own 'auctions' with set end times within the forum anyways.

There are also times when an item is being advertised on the forums and in the game concurrently and it becomes playing the forums as much as it does playing the game.

All that aside though, nothing is accomplished when 50 people are spamming their worthless uniques/gems over and over.

JoeMartin

There are people that don't respond to in-game messages about items on the forums unless they've made the sale on the forum, and most end up creating their own 'auctions' with set end times within the forum anyways.

There are also times when an item is being advertised on the forums and in the game concurrently and it becomes playing the forums as much as it does playing the game.

All that aside though, nothing is accomplished when 50 people are spamming their worthless uniques/gems over and over.

You're grasping at straws here. The overwhelming majority of the time the system works just fine. The extra layer of inconvenience and forced interaction serve only to deregulate, increase overall elasticity, produce a scarcity/opportunity driven market, and perhaps most important - limits bot interaction from locking a stats-based nash into the economy where scripts crushed anything that moved the donchian downward, as is still readily evident in D3.

There's a reason the D3 AH is going away, and how you can't understand that this system is more agreeable for pretty much everyone involved is beyond me. If you don't have the patience to survive the extremely small personal time investments that a barter market demands, perhaps you're playing the wrong game.

RS4-

What luck, died a few seconds before General did in merciless, so of course I don't get the quest completion after the party kills him.

Greg

You're grasping at straws here. The overwhelming majority of the time the system works just fine. The extra layer of inconvenience and forced interaction serve only to deregulate, increase overall elasticity, produce a scarcity/opportunity driven market, and perhaps most important - limits bot interaction from locking a stats-based nash into the economy where scripts crushed anything that moved the donchian downward, as is still readily evident in D3.

There's a reason the D3 AH is going away, and how you can't understand that this system is more agreeable for pretty much everyone involved is beyond me. If you don't have the patience to survive the extremely small personal time investments that a barter market demands, perhaps you're playing the wrong game.
How is pointing out legitimate issues I've experienced grasping at straws? I love interacting with people and making deals, and I already said the solution doesn't need to be an auction house that eliminates personal transactions.

And I hate the 'well then maybe you just shouldn't play' argument. Just because it works most of the time doesn't mean there is no room for improvement. Even something as simple as splitting the trade channel into a 'buy' and 'sell' channel would make a huge difference in terms of clutter - or even a filter for item level/type so you only see what you're interested in.

Anything that keeps the activity in game is a plus in my book.

Raxum

I can say that trading in this game is interesting.

Most of the people don't even respond..even ingame lol.

Personally I find trading to be a bit annoying. Half of the time what you post gets lost in the trade chat, or you lose what you were looking for when you scroll through. The few times I've tried to sell anything have been fruitless and I actually make more currency by just farming for it. I'm probably going to just play mostly self-found, with buying a few things that I can spot in the trade chat that might be useful for my build.

I honestly think the trade system could do with improving, but I would say that an auction house would not improve matters. Maybe some sort of trading post, that acts as an in-game forum for trading. Post items on a board in your 'shop', people peruse shops and flag their interest in items and then you organise a time to make the actual interactive trade. Saves spamming trade chat, keeps the personal interaction, and if you leave out a search function then it doesn't suffer from auction-house blues (plus you can haggle and barter properly).

JoeMartin

How is pointing out legitimate issues I've experienced grasping at straws? I love interacting with people and making deals, and I already said the solution doesn't need to be an auction house that eliminates personal transactions.

And I hate the 'well then maybe you just shouldn't play' argument. Just because it works most of the time doesn't mean there is no room for improvement. Even something as simple as splitting the trade channel into a 'buy' and 'sell' channel would make a huge difference in terms of clutter - or even a filter for item level/type so you only see what you're interested in.

Anything that keeps the activity in game is a plus in my book.

The issue is that they aren't issues. Some people auction and some people only deal inside of a thread. Such is life, and such is their ability to do business that way if they so chose. I don't understand how that's a negative on the whole system.

You seem to be forgetting that your initial comment in this whole ordeal was quite literally "Is there a reason why this game doesn't have an auction house?" The answer to which is a very resounding 'yes' and for well enumerated reasons herein, and you've just been backpedaling ever since. It sounds like what you want is functionality similar to xyz except in game, but I don't see how that's going to do for anyone in a positive way since that would only filter people spamming in real time vice leaving a post that can be sorted by an outside service.

All conjecture regardless as I'm still not entirely sure what your point actually is. You want an auction house but not an auction house but a better means by which to filter items being sold (which already exists - and in significantly more useful form than what you're suggesting) except you don't want to deal with people whom chose to sell in methods you don't approve of except you love interacting with people and making deals.

'Grasping at straws' and 'maybe this isn't for you' don't feel out of line here. Or maybe it's just me.

inky

What is Descent Champions and how long it is?

They are extremely fun races. General gist of it:

In the starting area, you'll receive provisions from a chest. The contents of these chests differ by class and contain basic skills and white items. There are also two chests that contain special Unique items. You can pick one from each chest to aid you with the challenge.

While progressing through the event, you will often encounter multiple exits from an area. Because you're unable to backtrack, the choice of which exit you take has several consequences such as access to a different chest of items after the branch. The branches also affect what monsters you'll face. Some branches lead to interesting side areas that allow you to obtain Leap Slam, a Quicksilver Flask, or boots with guaranteed movement speed, etc. For example, when you encounter The Freezing Chamber, you can skip it and go straight to the boss. By playing the Chamber, you could receive an important reward. It's up to you whether it's worth the time and risk.

You'll encounter powerful bosses that use different skills and effects than their regular counterparts do. When killed, these bosses drop books that grant two passive skill points. These bosses cannot be skipped.

This one is 1hr. They might be longer further into the season.

Edit: Rewards:

Top Prizes:

The overall top player by experience will receive 3 Reward Points.

The top 20 players of each class by experience will receive:

#1 player of each class: 10 Reward Points
#2 player of each class: 6 Reward Points
#3 player of each class: 5 Reward Points
#4 player of each class: 4 Reward Points
#5 player of each class: 3 Reward Points
#6-10 player of each class: 2 Reward Points
#11-20 player of each class: 1 Reward Point

Prizes for reaching specific levels:

Level 26: 10 Reward Points
Level 22-25: 7 Reward Points
Level 19-21: 6 Reward Points
Level 16-18: 5 Reward Points
Level 13-15: 4 Reward Points
Level 10-12: 3 Reward Points
Level 6-9: 1 Reward Point

Alternate Prizes:
The following are awarded to all players to complete them, not just the first.

Defeat Rukuku, the Pagan God: 1 Reward Point
Defeat The Brute: 1 Reward Point
Defeat Hatestorm: 1 Reward Point
Defeat Avatar of the Tempest: 1 Reward Point

Full-clear Prizes:
The first player to kill all of the monsters in any of the following areas will receive:

Normal difficulty The Freezing Chamber: 2 Reward Points

Random Prizes:
Each Reward Point you earn in this race counts as a ticket in a random draw for one of the following items:

Alternate Art Kaom's Sign Unique Item (30 available to be won)
Alternate Art Stormcloud Unique Item (15 available to be won)
Alternate Art Fairgrave's Tricorne Unique Item (10 available to be won)
Alternate Art Moonstone Ring (5 available to be won)
Alternate Art Gifts From Above Unique Item (1 available to be won)

Perkel

Banned
You could still only deal with people personally, but at least it would be streamlined.

Streamlining is the problem.

Bartering in game like this needs to be selective. There shouldn't be situation where top gear just lies to be bought like in mall.

Because there isn't AH people mostly just present interesting stuff because noone will buy garbage and because it is interesting you spend relatively some time to sell it.

Which means that if you would for example run guild of traders or bot you wouldn't be able to just sell 100 items at same time because you wouldn't have time and energy to sell all of them in such short time.

Manual bartering is crude but it has major benefits to economy.

First it doesn't allow for mall like system where everything is on market to buy including top gear, because a) you see only part of people selling in trade channel b) non chat sales takes time and effort

Second it creates community. To sell something you need at least to say something to someone. Sometimes it can be just chit chat but that chit chat is what matters. Sometimes you can buy something else from dude or even sell something. Sometimes you can even play together later.

Third, it is instrument in economy balancing. Inflation as we saw doesn't really work as fast as in game with AH.

Greg

The issue is that they aren't issues. Some people auction and some people only deal inside of a thread. Such is life, and such is their ability to do business that way if they so chose. I don't understand how that's a negative on the whole system.

You seem to be forgetting that your initial comment in this whole ordeal was quite literally "Is there a reason why this game doesn't have an auction house?" The answer to which is a very resounding 'yes' and for well enumerated reasons herein, and you've just been backpedaling ever since. It sounds like what you want is functionality similar to xyz except in game, but I don't see how that's going to do for anyone in a positive way since that would only filter people spamming in real time vice leaving a post that can be sorted by an outside service.

All conjecture regardless as I'm still not entirely sure what your point actually is. You want an auction house but not an auction house but a better means by which to filter items being sold (which already exists - and in significantly more useful form than what you're suggesting) except you don't want to deal with people whom chose to sell in methods you don't approve of except you love interacting with people and making deals.

'Grasping at straws' and 'maybe this isn't for you' don't feel out of line here. Or maybe it's just me.
If you read my first post completely, the auction house question was in relation to the unnecessary spam of worthless items. I'm not trying to create a definite solution, I'm here to point out a problem that exists regardless of your acceptance. And how would a search similar to xyz negatively impact your game anyways?

Your defiance of change makes it sound like you're invested in the game in ways beyond a player.

Streamlining is the problem.

Bartering in game like this needs to be selective. There shouldn't be situation where top gear just lies to be bought like in mall.

Because there isn't AH people mostly just present interesting stuff because noone will buy garbage and because it is interesting you spend relatively some time to sell it.

Which means that if you would for example run guild of traders or bot you wouldn't be able to just sell 100 items at same time because you wouldn't have time and energy to sell all of them in such short time.

Manual bartering is crude but it has major benefits to economy.

First it doesn't allow for mall like system where everything is on market to buy including top gear, because a) you see only part of people selling in trade channel b) non chat sales takes time and effort

Second it creates community. To sell something you need at least to say something to someone. Sometimes it can be just chit chat but that chit chat is what matters. Sometimes you can buy something else from dude or even sell something. Sometimes you can even play together later.

Third, it is instrument in economy balancing. Inflation as we saw doesn't really work as fast as in game with AH.
Why shouldn't the best items get the spotlight? Who benefits from seeing a sea of worthless yellow items? Most people don't know the value of an item, so they spam it. People spam garbage all the time. Just today I saw people advertising rare items for 5 exalted... similar items that I vendor regularly. 99% of the uniques I see advertised in a post that takes up the entire trade window I vendor.

I already said I have no issues with manual trading. It's great interacting with players and trying to work deals. It would be better if all of that could be handled within the game though instead of through the forums, and the reason people resort to the forums is because the system in game doesn't work as well as it could.

Rufus

I did it just to have done it. Dunno what level, but I was already doing maps at that point, so probably well on my way to 80. Still had a close call. I was also afraid of running into Caliga on my way there.

Kammie

I'm reaching a point of great annoyance with this game in merciless. Solo play fucks me over as an evasion-based character, I've got decent stats and skills but half the time there's so many mobs on me that I have to kite, and when kiting these other mobs will magically be attracted from other areas. And then as I'm running away I'll often desync right back into them. Then I die, negating about an hour's worth of experience in 2 seconds. Essentially, it's impossible to try to level solo.

Meanwhile, I can join a group for docks and go up a level in less than an hour with almost no chance for death and no strategy required other than holding an attack button.

I'm just starting to feel as though there's huge balance issues in this game.

Also, I've got capped resists... and things will still almost kill me in a few shots. Is that it, is there no more elemental defense available to me? Only thing I can do is raise my HP pool?

V_Arnold

I'm reaching a point of great annoyance with this game in merciless. Solo play fucks me over as an evasion-based character, I've got decent stats and skills but half the time there's so many mobs on me that I have to kite, and when kiting these other mobs will magically be attracted from other areas. And then as I'm running away I'll often desync right back into them. Then I die, negating about an hour's worth of experience in 2 seconds. Essentially, it's impossible to try to level solo.

Meanwhile, I can join a group for docks and go up a level in less than an hour with almost no chance for death and no strategy required other than holding an attack button.

Also, I've got capped resists... and things will still almost kill me in a few shots. Is that it, is there no more elemental defense available to me? Only thing I can do is raise my HP pool?

Tell me about it. My main is pure evasion, 95% of the time, it is great, and that 5% is either a bad row of hits, or desynch back to the middle of a group.

My advice is this: Either use Iron Reflexes (converts evasion to armor, and since you gain both +armor and +evasion modifiers on the number, it is bigger and better than pure armor), OR make sure to use Artic Armor, since it GREATLY negates physical/fire damage, and because it is a raw damage reduction, not a percentage-based reduction, it scales insanely well with resists.

So basically, if you go pure evasion, go the mana route, use some auras if possible, and always have that Arctic Armor Button ready.

My mistake with my main is that I went the blood magic route, which is pointless, since I lose out on so many needed defensive tools.

KKRT00

Post all Your stats and where do You farm solo?

And, are You using endurance charges?

inky

OMG, another great descent race. I was so close to level 20, but damn, those merciless resist penalties are terrible. I think I ended up in the top 10 duelists, so I can't complain =D

After my experience with the last race I was ready to face Hatestorm with mostly fire & light resists, but if you go through the stormy ledge like I did this time, you face the Avatar of Tempest, which is mostly cold damage. Thankfully I had a cold res ring in my inventory, but damn, that was unexpected.

This is now my favorite event in PoE.

Rufus

If you're not using a shield for block chance, then yeah, you need to be able to absorb the hits that get past your Evasion. How much do you have now? Plug your passive tree URL into this and link it:
http://pathofpoe.com/builds/passive-calculator/

Also, to prevent (or greatly reduce) re-syncing back into packs, hold the stand-still button (shift by default) as you attack, especially if you kite a lot. That way the server won't move you into the minimum range of whatever skill you're using or try to get an angle on a mob that's walked behind an obstacle you can't hit it through.

My mistake with my main is that I went the blood magic route, which is pointless, since I lose out on so many needed defensive tools.
Yeah, there's no reason to get the passive over the support gem right now, even for people with obscene amoutns of HP. Anything you lose out on by not using a different support gem you more than make up by being able to use one or two auras.

TGMIII

OMG, another great descent race. I was so close to level 20, but damn, those merciless resist penalties are terrible. I think I ended up in the top 10 duelists, so I can't complain =D

After my experience with the last race I was ready to face Hatestorm with mostly fire & light resists, but if you go through the stormy ledge like I did this time, you face the Avatar of Tempest, which is mostly cold damage. Thankfully I had a cold res ring in my inventory, but damn, that was unexpected.

This is now my favorite event in PoE.

Got to 18 myself, just didn't have the damage output in the last 10 minutes to get anywhere. I still get crazy amounts of desync in descent races, warping in & out of room levels of desync, but it's still one of the better races.

inky

Got to 18 myself, just didn't have the damage output in the last 10 minutes to get anywhere. I still get crazy amounts of desync in descent races, warping in & out of room levels of desync, but it's still one of the better races.

Yah, sometimes desync is rough, but I'm used to shift+clicking by now so it doesn't happen that often for me. I had a killer weapon and a couple of great rings, I think that is what got me so far. I also got a superior added fire gem from a chestand something like 47% light resist with merciless penalties.

bi1Q8pa.png

Kammie

Post all Your stats and where do You farm solo?

And, are You using endurance charges?
Thanks, but I'm too annoyed with the game to bother going into detail about my build. My stats are fine, I'm running like 7000 evasion, capped resists, and I have good damage output with Chain/LMP/Lightning Arrow and 5%/sec HP regen plus 8% HP leech per attack globally.

I ended up just doing the main quests in groups, which as I've said, consists of just holding an attack button while explosions go off. No fun or challenge, just an unbalanced mess.

I tried a map solo, asshole boss decides to go into a second form at 50%, he replenishes his health to 100% and starts doing leap slams that two-shot me. Can't even hit him due to desync and how fast he's moving. 6 portals later, he's dead. Try the map again.... can't even get him down to 75% since he's leapslamming even worse than before.

I'm really frustrated with the game. Difficulty is not a problem to me (I've put up with stuff like FUBAR on Spec Ops, which was insane towards the end), but shit one/two/three-shot mechanics are not. The worst part is that I spent a lot of money on the game buying tabs and stuff because I liked the experience on normal. It was just false advertising, endgame is a bitch and hardly enjoyable if all you do is get mad over unfair deaths. Really regret having spent so much money on it.

Tom Penny

Pure evasion? Grab iron reflexes. Problem solved. That's 7K armor..run Grace..even more armor. You also need a good 1 enemy attack..maybe frenzy or elemental hit?

KKRT00

Thanks, but I'm too annoyed with the game to bother going into detail about my build. My stats are fine, I'm running like 7000 evasion, capped resists, and I have good damage output with Chain/LMP/Lightning Arrow and 5%/sec HP regen plus 8% HP leech per attack globally.

I ended up just doing the main quests in groups, which as I've said, consists of just holding an attack button while explosions go off. No fun or challenge, just an unbalanced mess.

I tried a map solo, asshole boss decides to go into a second form at 50%, he replenishes his health to 100% and starts doing leap slams that two-shot me. Can't even hit him due to desync and how fast he's moving. 6 portals later, he's dead. Try the map again.... can't even get him down to 75% since he's leapslamming even worse than before.

I'm really frustrated with the game. Difficulty is not a problem to me (I've put up with stuff like FUBAR on Spec Ops, which was insane towards the end), but shit one/two/three-shot mechanics are not. The worst part is that I spent a lot of money on the game buying tabs and stuff because I liked the experience on normal. It was just false advertising, endgame is a bitch and hardly enjoyable if all you do is get mad over unfair deaths. Really regret having spent so much money on it.

Whats Your life? What was the map with leap slamming boss? And trust me playing in parties with Nemesis mods is not easy, actually i find solo easier many times.

Have You tried blind? Have You tried endurance charges? Have You tried decoy/skeletors totem? Have You tried enfeeble/temporal chains curses?
Frenzy + Blind + Faster Attacks is really powerful for single target.
Do You use Granite Flask?

Evasion - Iron Reflexes = Dead

Leap Slam Hillock does nothing to me, and I kill him in 8 seconds.

inky

Damn you race, I died about 15 minutes in and could just make it back to level 16. I was about to kill the Avatar of Tempest when it ended T.T

Edit: wait, is lightning call the ability Avatar of Tempest has in the race? Looks like it. Pretty cool.

Sciz

Oh, that lightning spell looks lovely. Lots of ways to mess around with an aoe/duration skill. Increased aoe and duration would let you carpet bomb the battlefield, while concentrated effect and reduced duration turns it into an orbital death ray.

Sarcasm

So seeing how my character is going I may do a lot of damage but my HP pool will probably be much lower than everybody (especially in HC peeps since yeah more HP there)..

Wondering if Unwavering Stance will be worth it...sure can't evade but being stun'd would hurt more no?

Top Bottom