• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Valnen

I can live without it

I'm not sure I can. I looked this up and apparently they said they were looking into implementing it about a year ago. Why did this not happen? So ridiculous that such a basic feature of modern action RPG's is missing.

Not all races give out Demigod's items I think. Only the ones labeled as "competitive", which you can tell by the "C" found in the title, for example: 150 Minute Party (S05C027). Not that it is easy to get them anyway.

As for the rewards, they appear in a "remove only" tab and you can pretty much take them out in any (non-race) league you want. If you don't remove them and they create new long leagues, you'll be able to remove them only after a certain time (2 weeks I think) so that people with those don't get an unfair advantage right away.

Ah thats cool, so if I get enough points for a Leheap I can use that on my current domination league guy?

Valnen

That would ruin the aesthetic and atmosphere for me. Wraeclast is a dark, brooding place full of horrors, not Hicky Ticky Toki: Gunflame Arouse.

So give an option to turn it off. Don't ruin the game by not including it. For me it's a very important part of the visual feedback of combat in this genre.

Card Boy

Banned
That would ruin the aesthetic and atmosphere for me. Wraeclast is a dark, brooding place full of horrors, not Hicky Ticky Toki: Gunflame Arouse.

Come on man your smarter than this ain't you? It would be an option and you could turn it off. There is nothing bad about a optional feature you don't have to use.

spirity

Come on man your smarter than this ain't you? It would be an option and you could turn it off. There is nothing bad about a optional feature you don't have to use.

I'm not against it as an option feature, I'm against it as a feature. Big difference. I don't like floating combat text. Well, unless when it suits the setting.

spirity

How does someone using floating text have a negative impact on your game?

I'm speaking about my own personal preferences. I don't care that other people like it. I am giving my opinion on it, like they are giving theirs. I can't make this any clearer dude.

Kammie

I'm not sure I can. I looked this up and apparently they said they were looking into implementing it about a year ago. Why did this not happen? So ridiculous that such a basic feature of modern action RPG's is missing.
It's not happening. A dev said so a few days ago, it just didn't work out or something during internal testing.

I can't look it up now, but it's probably somewhere in the first few pages here:

http://www.gggtracker.com/

I don't mind it missing, in fact I think it's better. There's already enough shit littering the ground and flying through the air, I don't need 50 mobs with five floating damage counters when I chain LA on them.

Rufus

I think the un-official reason is that it would clutter up the screen even more. Even one other person can make it very hard to see what the hell is going on due to how many effects the game shits all over the screen.
There's no real reason for it to be optional, but they don't even want to surface itemlevel for fear of confusing new players, despite that fact that they will inevitably be confused by all the other stuff that needs explaining and which you have to go outside the game to find out about. I don't really understand the attitude, but they've shown themselves to be flexible so long as enough people show interest in change.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

They don't want damage log or any type of damage number to make min maxing as difficult as possible. The community hate min maxing, if you wonder why, look at wow.

Valnen

It's not happening. A dev said so a few days ago, it just didn't work out or something during internal testing.

I can't look it up now, but it's probably somewhere in the first few pages here:

http://www.gggtracker.com/

I don't mind it missing, in fact I think it's better. There's already enough shit littering the ground and flying through the air, I don't need 50 mobs with five floating damage counters when I chain LA on them.

Well alright then. What a waste. "We're not adding the feature because some people don't like it" is such a bullshit reason. Glad I never gave them any money.

garath

Ugh. The lack of information about the game still annoys the crap out of me. I've always been for having the option of damage text.

Perkel

Banned
For me, yeah it really is pretty critical. I already turned on mini health bars and they're not enough for me.

If i wouldn't know POE and i would see it having numbers after hit i would probably never play it.

Every option has consequences.

Kammie

Well alright then. What a waste. "We're not adding the feature because some people don't like it" is such a bullshit reason. Glad I never gave them any money.
I think their reasoning was valid. The guy mentioned that even if it's optional and you don't want to use it, hardcore players will be forced to in order to remain competitive.

Boken

Banned
I don't think this game is for you, Valnen. You should probably just stick to D3.
:/
I think their reasoning was valid. The guy mentioned that even if it's optional and you don't want to use it, hardcore players will be forced to in order to remain competitive.
doesnt that imply that theres huge value in having it then - from a gameplay perspective.

Kammie

doesnt that imply that theres huge value in having it then - from a gameplay perspective.
Sure, but it'll ruin the aesthetic of the game. I don't think it's that difficult to tell if things are taking too little or average damage by looking at a healthbar or seeing how fast it dies. You also have a pretty detailed in-depth overview of every skill and how much damage it does, with plenty of numbers, which even if it's not 100% accurate, gives you an idea of whether one attack is better than another or not. It's not like we're so blind we have no idea what our attacks are doing.

Kammie

Holy crap, the experience loss upon death in Merciless is brutal. Got to Act 3 and had some untimely deaths. It's like twisting a knife in a wound. :(

Holy crap, the experience loss upon death in Merciless is brutal. Got to Act 3 and had some untimely deaths. It's like twisting a knife in a wound. :(

I am 81 but if I hadn't died to lag 3 or 4 times Id be about 85 now. Luckily for the most part gear > level in this game. So i am okay treadmilling the low 80's farming. That said the map drop rates are fucked. I have done about 200 maps and have had some 70 maps and 1 71 map drop. That 71 map dropped no maps so I was back to 68 maps which dropped no maps or 66 maps.... fml. They say they increased the drop/level of map drops after 1.01 but if anything I have gotten less since then.

Rufus

Are you rolling them at all or do you run them as is? I have a pretty stable pool of sub 70 maps. I stay on a tier for a long time though... Still haven't run anything higher than 69 (of which I have only four right now).

Rufus

It takes forever, but it's much, much more attainable then getting to level 100 with your character. Your character earns less and less XP the more their level diverges from the zone's level. Gems don't suffer that penalty, they always get the full XP awarded. The amount of XP you need is still enormeous though, so unless you're pushing into high level maps (and staying there) it will take a long time.
And if you plan to upgrade it into a 20% quality version by using the GCP recipe, look forward to doing it all over again.

gl1tch

Neo Member
Cruel Dominus phase 2 > click on portal > log in screen > standard.

Profound sadness. Guess I'll just do races now.

Sciz

It takes forever, but it's much, much more attainable then getting to level 100 with your character. Your character earns less and less XP the more their level diverges from the zone's level. Gems don't suffer that penalty, they always get the full XP awarded. The amount of XP you need is still enormeous though, so unless you're pushing into high level maps (and staying there) it will take a long time.
And if you plan to upgrade it into a 20% quality version by using the GCP recipe, look forward to doing it all over again.

Yeah, it's not the single grindiest thing I've ever heard of in a game, but the combined total is something like 330M gem exp, which is around 300,000 level 67 mobs.

Rufus

Yup, and half of that is 19-20, haha... Sigh. My Spectral Throw (and linked gems) just hit 19. Not going to see that little plus again in a looong time.

Tom Penny

Spectral Throw / Cyclone crit build with cast on crit with ethereal knives is pretty darn amazing. . Couple that with cast on damage linked to ethereal knives and you are a porcupine shooting tank.

Greg

Is there a reason why this game doesn't have an auction house?

Unless you're doing currency trades, it's impossible to sort through all the garbage that gets spammed.

KKRT00

Unless you're doing currency trades, it's impossible to sort through all the garbage that gets spammed.

They dont want to have instant trading and its expensive to maintain. At least those are reason i remember, also tons of people in community dont really want AH.

Although i would love to have at least system, where trade messages were automatically sorted by hash tags to different tabs [Armors with subcategories, Weapons with subcategories, Misc with subcategories, Currency, Uniques] and in those tabs, for example in something like social panel, You would have displayed last 500 messages.
Also limit ability to post trade messages to one every 30-60 seconds.

It would make it totally readable and decreased spam significantly.

JoeMartin

Barter system is enormously more interesting and condusive to maintaining an individual-run, abuse-free economy.

poe.xyz.is is your "auction house," if you want to better locate items that suit your needs.

Greg

They dont want to have instant trading and its expensive to maintain. At least those are reason i remember, also tons of people in community dont really want AH.

Although i would love to have at least system, where trade messages were automatically sorted by hash tags to different tabs [Armors with subcategories, Weapons with subcategories, Misc with subcategories, Currency, Uniques] and in those tabs, for example in something like social panel, You would have displayed last 500 messages.
Also limit ability to post trade messages to one every 30-60 seconds.

It would make it totally readable and decreased spam significantly.
It doesn't even have to be a place where instant transactions take place then - just something that allows you to mark certain items for trade and is tied to an in-game indexer. You could still only deal with people personally, but at least it would be streamlined.

Barter system is enormously more interesting and condusive to maintaining an individual-run, abuse-free economy.

poe.xyz.is is there for all your "auction house" needs, if you want to better locate items that suit your needs.
I'm aware of those sites, but there a real disconnect created when you're dealing with a mix of people in game and on the forums.

inky

This descent race is pretty damn insane =D I was like 20% away from 6 points too, godammit.

At some point chests start giving you exalted orbs! I was exalting my 10% MS, 8% Cold resist boots LMAO. That fucking stone thing with firestorm and spork totems made me waste like 5 minutes. I had very slow regen and almost not lightning resist.

JoeMartin

It doesn't even have to be a place where instant transactions take place then - just something that allows you to mark certain items for trade and is tied to an in-game indexer. You could still only deal with people personally, but at least it would be streamlined.

I'm aware of those sites, but there a real disconnect created when you're dealing with a mix of people in game and on the forums.

I'm not sure how there's any disconnect at all.

Find item you want on poe.xyz.is -> add person with item as friend -> upon seeing said person online, inquire about purchase of said item.

It's a pretty simple three step process.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I'm not sure how there's any disconnect at all.

Find item you want on poe.xyz.is -> add person with item as friend -> upon seeing said person online, inquire about purchase of said item.

It's a pretty simple three step process.

There is also an option to search only people's that's currently online, so you can barter with them right away.

Top Bottom