• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
RIP my level 61 poor poor burned mis... I mean summoner.

Vaal's rock throw hurts.... T_T Everything goes into slow-mo and I see the third rock combo'ed on me as I ran the wrong direction.

1st rip - act 2 normal - the trap monster at the beginning
2nd rip - act 3 dominus
3rd - cruel oak, some asshole picked the opposite side and pk me
4th - merc act 2 vaal

I think I am progressing ~_~

Kalnos

Banned
Merc Vaal is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how geared you are, he will still scare the shit out of you if any of his abilities hit you.

Boken

Banned
RIP my level 61 poor poor burned mis... I mean summoner.

Vaal's rock throw hurts.... T_T Everything goes into slow-mo and I see the third rock combo'ed on me as I ran the wrong direction.

1st rip - act 2 normal - the trap monster at the beginning
2nd rip - act 3 dominus
3rd - cruel oak, some asshole picked the opposite side and pk me
4th - merc act 2 vaal

I think I am progressing ~_~

did you solo cruel dom @_@

inky

Wow, I thought these "solo burst" races would be easy points. But I was so, so wrong. :(

Kill Hillock, buy a coral ring with your scrolls (if you didn't get anything good from him you need to id), run to mud flats, open the passage, run to ledge and just farm it up there. Human enemies on the beach, and the squid things on the submerged passage are good for getting those couple of levels on the way because they die fast. Just bunch them up and go to town. It doesn't matter if you skip enemies or even chests. Some people do the medicine chest quest for the quicksilver flask, but I've found it slows me down more than it helps me in the end. (I'm terrible at killing Hailrake or whatever he's called)

I mean, I don't get how some people get to level 9, but doing that I get to 6+ every time rather easily.

Kill Hillock, buy a coral ring with your scrolls (if you didn't get anything good from him you need to id), run to mud flats, open the passage, run to ledge and just farm it up there. Human enemies on the beach, and the squid things on the submerged passage are good for getting those couple of levels on the way because they die fast. Just bunch them up and go to town. It doesn't matter if you skip enemies or even chests. Some people do the medicine chest quest for the quicksilver flask, but I've found it slows me down more than it helps me in the end. (I'm terrible at killing Hailrake or whatever he's called)

I mean, I don't get how some people get to level 9, but doing that I get to 6+ every time rather easily.

I dinged 5 within the time limit once... in the practice runs I was doing leading up to the event. My actual attempts went horribly, lol.

I'd read about the basic "run to the ledge" strategy, but I found 1) opening the Mud Flats passage quickly without getting mauled and 2) navigating both Submerged Passage levels quickly without getting mauled or lost surprisingly difficult. On the one attempt where I made it to the ledge, I didn't have enough time to take advantage of it. This was with trying to avoid basically every enemy, which may not have been the best idea as I got my near-naked self got stuck in packs a lot (and exposed myself to a lot of rhoa abuse).

Oh well. It was fun to try, anyway, especially since I'm normally a very slow and plodding methodical player when it comes to loot games.

Sarcasm

Games aren't really the same. I like poe more but it also has gaping holes.

Like game mechanics causing de-sync. Sure the passive and gems make it look deep but it's not. Too much rng and self found is borderline not viable. The combat is lacking also.

Still love poe though, my play time since closed can prove that. When you do get that one upgrade either been gaming for a week or dealt with the interesting trading it feels massive. Though during the stale time where you get nothing for levels it can suck lol.

Rufus

Sure the passive and gems make it look deep but it's not. Too much rng and self found is borderline not viable.
Depends on the build, I guess. All I do is play self-found and I have somehow managed to at least progress to maps on many of them. Most died on the way... But hey, I got there. And yeah, those dry spells suck when you're not getting what you need, but that's ARPGs for you. The ST Scion is at least a very cheap build, much like GS Marauder. Makes grinding currency and gear for other characters down the line easier. D3 was the same. RoS seems to rain legendaries once you get the ball rolling, so it at least solves that.

Sarcasm

I am not hating. The gem/passive is very engaging just after experience its not like deeeeep.

One thing I really hate though is mechanics that are kept that cause de-sync. Dodge/Hit Chance being a culprit.

letterboxart

Neo Member
RNG is probably more frustrating in PoE because your skills are also drops (or quest rewards), and the ability to slot/link skills is part of itemization. So while self-found is playable, it can get stale because you have to wait so long to actually play the build that you have in mind.

I find PoE to be most interesting in terms of planning builds (flexibility, complexity, ...). But in terms of actual gameplay, D3 is much more engaging. Combat feels more responsive, varied, and epic. Gear also feels more interesting in D3. In PoE, gear is math. I barely ever look at my PoE character (and I don't really understand the appeal of cosmetic microtransactions in PoE).

It's too bad that the D3 combat and flash wasn't wrapped around a more complex package. I would love to have one game that takes the best of both worlds (or even a modern D2).

Rufus

I am not hating.
Bah, and I don't want to sound like I'm white knightning the game all the time. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for grinding...

One thing I really hate though is mechanics that are kept that cause de-sync. Dodge/Hit Chance being a culprit.
I have a feeling they're related to what many people critizise about the combat feeling weak or janky, too.

I can understand any of your points but this one. Gear was so poorly done in Diablo 3 that the revisions to the system require the title "Loot 2.0".
The legendary mods look absolutely nuts now, especially on rings.

---

Had my first Exalt drop. That's the fifth one in all of my time playing this game.

Piety was also generous enough to drop Eye of Chayula and a good minion helm for my summoner. I just need to level her up now...

Sarcasm

I don't mind the grinding but its weird how

PoE: Today went to go fight Dom..with 250ms (only option is Australia..singapore typed I get 400ms..funny how on the lol garena PoE I get 90ms...but screw that...)and horrible desync (was a bad day I guess)..man it was a kill joy. Got him.

Started up D3 to see what it was like...130MS..US side.

I can only imagine if they up'd the quality of servers and maybe somehow..fix high latency. I know most people don't get it but for me in TW getting 130 on D3/WoW/other games in US while the countries close to me in PoE I got horrible MS.

Also the D3 RoS beta is a beta..the drop rates are jacked for that purpose.

Sarcasm

Yea on a good day with Aussie I get 165-180MS.

Also watched that kripp (gah why does he move so much) youtube video it basically boiled down to:

want to play a game for 10 hours (PoE) or pick up and go (D3)

Also..I watched his RoS stream. Yeah I'd def be bored the way he played lol.

Rufus

What else is there to do? :/
He could level a different class I guess. But then he'd farm rifts again. I guess he could avoid that apparently bugged death beam he uses, but that'd just cost efficiency and slow down his farming.

He could level a different class I guess. But then he'd farm rifts again. I guess he could avoid that apparently bugged death beam he uses, but that'd just cost efficiency and slow down his farming.

Isn't there some sort of adventure mode? Also, what ever happened to arena PvP shortly after launch??

V_Arnold

Yes. He would actually have to stop and deal with mobs that way. I would not recommend that for Kripp, that is for sure. Seriously, why WOULD NOT he try not using the God Beam? Is it that hard? This is not a one hour race to the top or a ladder first rush. You cant judge the gameplay that way.

Nibiru

Banned
Yes. He would actually have to stop and deal with mobs that way. I would not recommend that for Kripp, that is for sure. Seriously, why WOULD NOT he try not using the God Beam? Is it that hard? This is not a one hour race to the top or a ladder first rush. You cant judge the gameplay that way.

His style is to go fast, hard and to find abilities that enable this hyper speed play, of course he will judge the game based on these things. He does the same thing in PoE with his Discharger build, the difference is that even when he builds what many see as an OP character he can still die in PoE. In D3 when he does the same it is a total faceroll and it is very easy to get to that point that is pretty much what he is saying.

V_Arnold

His style is to go fast, hard and to find abilities that enable this hyper speed play, of course he will judge the game based on these things. He does the same thing in PoE with his Discharger build, the difference is that even when he builds what many see as an OP character he can still die in PoE. In D3 when he does the same it is a total faceroll and it is very easy to get to that point that is pretty much what he is saying.

His STYLE is to use an ability that - as the tooltip says - deals 2,400% damage but actually uses 24,000% and then judge the game based on that?

If you mean that he is physically incapable of not using a bug even though it obviously is one, that is fine. That is some kind of phsychological issue, but it is not the game's. We know that it is a bug and crushing blows are too strong as well, so citing those two as to why the endgame is boring and stale is...factually wrong.

So yeah, he can stop playing it if he is not able to look past these abilities/bugs and try to play a game like 99,9999% of the players will play it once these are modfiied/removed. But that does not have anything to do with game's variety and/or endgame.

Rufus

No, but I think he's right in that this is what you'll end up doing, too. Slower perhpas, but essentially the exact same thing. Well, it's what I would do. Dunno how much of an anomaly we (on this forum and elsewhere) are, but I suppose not everyone goes for whatever is most efficient, i.e. plays more 'casually' a couple of hours a week or so. Judging by D3 was played by streamers though... You go for what works best, with best being defined as what gets you the most legendaries. Currently that involves using bugged abilities or OP as fuck synergies. Once it's out there's going to be another "WW barb" type situation for sure.

I'd look to the ladder for longevity.

V_Arnold

No, but I think he's right in that this is what you'll end up doing, too. Slower perhpas, but the exact same thing. Well, it's what I would do. Dunno how much of an anomaly we (on this forum and elsewhere) are, but I suppose not everyone goes for whatever is most efficient, i.e. plays more 'casually' a couple of hours a week or so. Judging by D3 was played by streamers though... You go for what works best, with best being defined as what gets you the most legendaries.

I play D3ROS on Torment one currently, with a stun-heavy Lightning wizard. Tons of shit I have to look out for, I do not get 200 legendaries per hour (I got zero last night after 2 hours, how is that?), and I need to watch out for enemy abilities and all that jazz. I have a crusader as well but did not touch the bugged ability, and played without that rune. It is fun. There is a difference between using an "optimal" build and trying out a beta and being incapable of trying anything else but the bugged skill. A huge difference.

Rufus

Yeah, he must have some kind of pathology that prevents him from wasting his time more than necessary so that he can check out as many legendaries as possible...

KKRT00

I play D3ROS on Torment one currently, with a stun-heavy Lightning wizard. Tons of shit I have to look out for, I do not get 200 legendaries per hour (I got zero last night after 2 hours, how is that?), and I need to watch out for enemy abilities and all that jazz. I have a crusader as well but did not touch the bugged ability, and played without that rune. It is fun. There is a difference between using an "optimal" build and trying out a beta and being incapable of trying anything else but the bugged skill. A huge difference.

But Kripp played Torment 1, like he was destroying it at 3rd day of his Beta legitimately. Currently without a Beam he could do Torment 4 as fast.

Also, the only way to really play on Torment VI is via Crushing Blow.

V_Arnold

But Kripp played Torment 1, like he was destroying it at 3rd day of his Beta legitimately. Currently without a Beam he could do Torment 4 as fast.

Also the only way to really play on Torment VI is via Crushing Blow.

Yeah, after you already geared yourself up with Beam, of course you could do Torment 4. I did not. Then again, I did not play 60+ hours so far. But anyway, no point in arguing about it here. Rather, do we know what the new legendaries are going to be in PoE 1.1.1 or what is the codename? A high phys staff is LONG overdue :p

KKRT00

Yeah, after you already geared yourself up with Beam, of course you could do Torment 4. I did not. Then again, I did not play 60+ hours so far. But anyway, no point in arguing about it here. Rather, do we know what the new legendaries are going to be in PoE 1.1.1 or what is the codename? A high phys staff is LONG overdue :p
They showed one, two hander that behaves as dual wielding two axes, its in preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONDaFs3uky0

Sarcasm

Watching more of his videos on first day "Oh maybe I think I will put this ring on"

lol.....maybe he shouldn't play it.

I want those dual looking 2h!

RS4-

Jesus, I spent nearly 2 hrs just getting through Ebony racks and killing Piety. Got so stubborn and annoyed with the desyncing, I just wanted to get it over with, find the waypoints and kill her.

All those deaths, probably would've amounted to 5 lost levels lol.

KKRT00

Jesus, I spent nearly 2 hrs just getting through Ebony racks and killing Piety. Got so stubborn and annoyed with the desyncing, I just wanted to get it over with, find the waypoints and kill her.

All those deaths, probably would've amounted to 5 lost levels lol.

Ask next time for help on guild chat :)

Kadin

For someone who played a bit when it first went Open Beta and maybe a week when it was closed, does this current version appear very similar or has there been a vast revamp to the game? I honestly loved what I saw but the inventory management was the issue I had. Breaking things down and using them as currency also was a tad overwhelming and confusing.

Worth looking into again or is it more of the same?

KKRT00

For someone who played a bit when it first went Open Beta and maybe a week when it was closed, does this current version appear very similar or has there been a vast revamp to the game? I honestly loved what I saw but the inventory management was the issue I had. Breaking things down and using them as currency also was a tad overwhelming and confusing.

Worth looking into again or is it more of the same?

Its deeper and bigger than it was back then if thats what You're asking.
I dont know if its a little more streamlined, i dont think so.

Raide

Game has merged servers, so everyone can play with everyone within the league.
So we have one, big Guild :)

Good news. :D

Played a bit in beta, did not think much of it. Started playing with a friend when it got released and put a crazy amount of hours into it.

Raxum

Hot dang!
I've been toying with a HP regen + high life Righteous Fire build and that patch just made it much more powerful o_O

I was actually considering starting up a RF build and toying with the passives/uniques and skills I'd need to pull it off, but that buff to RF. Then I read that preview, definitely making the build now. Time for some research and theorycrafting.

Also, the new lightning spell looks like a lot of fun, I've been considering making a lightning storm build for a while, but I'm trying to figure out what storm call is for support purposes. Is it basically Cold Snap?

Sarcasm

To me Storm Call is more (looks) useful. Cold snap only works on character where as Storm Call is cursor based.

But yea its really the same thing.

Top Bottom