• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

The last summoner I played used summons throughout. Bosses were a problem, but I did survive to merciless I believe. Don't remember what killed her.
Your zombies will die a lot regardless, but it's manageable with minion flasks. A +1 (iLVL 14) and later +2 (iLVL 65) minion gem helmet helps a lot as well. Also, don't rely 100% on them for damage if you go summoner from the beginning. They will die and then you'll be defenseless.

I went 100% on the minion passives and that got me all the way to Merciless (I stopped because I was leveling too many characters, and ..., cause it got a little boring not dying).

The only real trouble is bosses that can melt your summons. Dominus is really the only one I can think of. The others hide in the Vaal areas. Further specialization in minion survival can probably fix that too.

My +2 Minions were ridiculous. Kill, kill, kill. Boss? Vaal Skeletons, moving on.

Rufus

Yeah, I took every minion passive too. They're very good, but you gotta watch your own life too. I also had a mana issue where I had to chug pots to summon all my zombies, so whenever a couple died things could go downhill really fast and I'd stand there with my pants down. Well, I would if I had any.

Yeah, I took every minion passive too. They're very good, but you gotta watch your own life too. I also had a mana issue where I had to chug pots to summon all my zombies, so whenever a couple died things could go downhill really fast and I'd stand there with my pants down. Well, I would if I had any.

Well, in my build, I don't cast anything. I walk around, my minions kill, and I move on. The only spells I cast cost almost no mana: Desecrate / Bone Offering.

So yeah, potioning to resummon my minion army was okay with me. The only times that was annoying was when I died a few seconds later to some boss that could actually kill my minions through their HP, life regen, and resistances.

syko de4d

i think PoE is the arpg with the most options as a summoner. 1-2 Years ago summoner was not really interesting but they added so much stuff. There are so many ways to play a summoner in this game right now, its really amazing.

And with 1.2 they will remove the annoying possibility of snap shotting.

Quixzlizx

i think PoE is the arpg with the most options as a summoner. 1-2 Years ago summoner was not really interesting but they added so much stuff. There are so many ways to play a summoner in this game right now, its really amazing.

And with 1.2 they will remove the annoying possibility of snap shotting.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to snapshot, so eliminating snapshotting just drags everyone else a little closer to my level :lol

RyanDG

I feel a little sad. I just lost my first hardcore character that I built myself without a guide that was strong enough to get to merciless and up to the Dominus fight (never fought it - didn't want to risk it lol). It was my fault - can't blame desync or servers or anything else - just piss poor flask management in a moment I wasn't paying 100% attention. When I saw the you died screen, I was in shock for a moment before it really registered what just happened lol.

Oh well. Guess it's good timing for the upcoming patch and expansion. Bring on the new leagues.

Krassus

Patch notes out, translated so take them with a grain of salt but TL:DR

Nerfed -- Curses. Arc, Wrath, Anger, Clarity, Flameblast
Buffed -- Bows, Quivers, Ice Spear, Ball Lightning

Man the new tree will take a while to wrap my head around.

Looks like the life nodes have been more than halved. The life per level must be getting quite a boost.

Krassus

Is this clan going to have enough people to do mapping? I am part of another community with people I raid in MMO's with who number around 8-10 and wed like to join a bigger group for this release.

Anyone have suggestions for clans that map?

RyanDG

The new tree is kind of interesting. It's required a bit of work to retool some of my builds though. I'm thinking that somewhere between 130-150% life nodes is what I am going to be going for, but haven't done the math calculations yet to support that. Damage wise most of my builds should be getting a slight buff, including one of my builds gaining another 22% attack speed.

pix

I'm going to choose between 2 builds this league. A Witch CI Phys Wander (I have never gone CI before and the wand nodes look damn good) or a Witch Incinerate as I haven't played a spell based character.

I think this league will be wash to go CI with the bench crafting. Hell you could probably even level with it at around act 3 cruel maybe before that depending on gear.

Anyone else got plans they would like to share?

HoosTrax

I just started out with PoE a month ago, and got my ranger up to Act III Merciless before finding out that I had screwed up with the build somewhere, because I was getting wrecked all of a sudden and taking something like 6 hits to kill each mob. The difficulty ramp is a bit brutal in that Act for some reason. I've given up on that character to wait for full respec.

The one thing I don't quite like in this game is that stacking HP is seemingly always the right way to build. And even minor attempts to glass-cannon seems to result in disaster.

I'm probably exaggerating the situation somewhat, but it did catch me off guard, as someone who's primary ARPG up to this point was Titan Quest -- I don't remember that game so heavily emphasizing building "tanky", even on Legendary.

---

On a sidenote, I'm typically cynical when it comes to F2P games, but seeing as how I've spent >150 hours in the game so far, I went ahead and shelled out $40 to buy 1,000 points worth of Nvidia credits (going to get some additional stash, with premium upgrades). I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty / embarrassed about it, considering AAA games cost $60 for 10-40 hours of gameplay.

Quixzlizx

I just started out with PoE a month ago, and got my ranger up to Act III Merciless before finding out that I had screwed up with the build somewhere, because I was getting wrecked all of a sudden and taking something like 6 hits to kill each mob. The difficulty ramp is a bit brutal in that Act for some reason. I've given up on that character to wait for full respec.

The one thing I don't quite like in this game is that stacking HP is seemingly always the right way to build. And even minor attempts to glass-cannon seems to result in disaster.

I'm probably exaggerating the situation somewhat, but it did catch me off guard, as someone who's primary ARPG up to this point was Titan Quest -- I don't remember that game so heavily emphasizing building "tanky", even on Legendary.

---

On a sidenote, I'm typically cynical when it comes to F2P games, but seeing as how I've spent >150 hours in the game so far, I went ahead and shelled out $40 to buy 1,000 points worth of Nvidia credits (going to get some additional stash, with premium upgrades). I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty / embarrassed about it, considering AAA games cost $60 for 10-40 hours of gameplay.

For the new patch that's coming on the 20th, they're changing things so that you'll get more base life per level, which means you won't need to take as many life nodes.

syko de4d

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ive-previewing-path-of-exiles-tora-master-of/

Wilson also discussed the upcoming Beyond League in some detail, which is one of the new Challenge Leagues added with Forsaken Masters. Players in the Beyond League will have to deal with a race of extradimensional demons invading Wraeclast. When you kill monsters in close proximity to one another, small portals start to open; get enough of those open together, and a larger portal opens up, spawning more powerful monsters. If those happen close together, an even larger portal opens up, complete with a unique boss that's designed to be extremely difficult to kill.
This sounds good, i believe. Would love to see it in action.
Sounds like evolution of the last HC league with its random Bosses, now its random bosses where you have the control when and where they spawn.

So both leagues have a "kill enemies fast each after another and something cool happens" mechanic. If you combine both shit could get real. Killstreak + Large Portal could be insane xD

edit: oh there is a new trailer too, here is the youtube version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioHEWFXB_3U&feature=youtu.be

TheFatOne

I'm really disappointed in the beyond league. It just sounds like invasion 2.0 instead of a brand new league. Just a more refined invasion sigh.

TheFatOne

GGG knows that HC players love punishment.

I guess my expectations for the new league were just too high. Still going to play the shit out of this though. Since they buffed ice spear that's what I'm going to play. Might try and do a duel totem ice spear build. Not sure what I want to do with it yet.

KKRT00

I'm really disappointed in the beyond league. It just sounds like invasion 2.0 instead of a brand new league. Just a more refined invasion sigh.

I wouldnt judge it yet. I though that ambush league will be terrible, but strongboxes appeared to be the most fun mechanics they've added so far.

TheFatOne

I wouldnt judge it yet. I though that ambush league will be terrible, but strongboxes appeared to be the most fun mechanics they've added so far.

I'm still hyped to play the new league. Plan on playing basically 24-7 until the end of August. Who's in charge of the gaf guild now? I want to party up with people on HC when the new league starts.

Krassus

lll be 24 houring until 85ish fo sho, going all weekend through Weds without any gaming and putting in work theorycrafting.

KKRT00

I'm still hyped to play the new league. Plan on playing basically 24-7 until the end of August. Who's in charge of the gaf guild now? I want to party up with people on HC when the new league starts.

I think the admin is still on Perkel.
Most of GAF will be playing SC though, but i'll probably join HC when i get bored with scrubscore :p

syko de4d

no idea what to play with the new skilltree :D

Long time didnt played a Bow Build.

Taiwan launched 1-2days ago and has some 1.2 features.

New Burning Arrow
tiq5cyQ.jpg

New Viper Strike
5e9dZCS.jpg

new Unique
OD48sX8.png

life flask buff
F4RCOrD.jpg

KKRT00

Hmm, so viper strike will finally support melee splash?
If yes, thats what i'm playing. Never played chaos based char and now, and it was long time when i played with daggers.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
For the new patch that's coming on the 20th, they're changing things so that you'll get more base life per level, which means you won't need to take as many life nodes.

They are also nerfing life nodes, so at the end you need the same number of nodes. The life per level buff is more for early game, so new players don't have to spend their early points leveling boring passive.

syko de4d

If yes, thats what i'm playing. Never played chaos based char and now, and it was long time when i played with daggers.

and you can have infinite stacks on an enemy. So the damage if this will really snowball. And it used all damage not only the phyiscal part.

But i dont know if a dot build is the best for the new leagues, where you need to kill enemies fast each after another for something cool to happen.

V_Arnold

Not just that, but once this stuff is rolling back to Standard (as in the league is over), I will finally have a melee skill for my 6link Oro's Sacrifice that does not get penalized for not having physical damage.

So amazing times ahead!

and you can have infinite stacks on an enemy. So the damage if this will really snowball. And it used all damage not only the phyiscal part.

But i dont know if a dot build is the best for the new leagues, where you need to kill enemies fast each after another for something cool to happen.

If you start dotting people, and the first ones die start the "killstreak", the other dotted ones will follow. So in that regard, the dotting part is just an initial delay to ALL mobs, in no way hurting your killstreak potential.

KKRT00

You need to kill them every 5 second though, not instantly :) We'll see, still would be interested in chaos based build.
It can be overpowered as hell going by GGG track record :p

TheFatOne

You need to kill them every 5 second though, not instantly :) We'll see, still would be interested in chaos based build.
It can be overpowered as hell going by GGG track record :p

I'm really tempted to make a detonate dead build because of this. Seems like this would synergize with dd quite well. I really want to go back and do an ice build though. Conflicted at the moment.

Add me then. I'm going to be on pretty often the next few weeks. I just had an ankle/hip injury, so I get to enjoy my time off smashing out some PoE.

I don't know what I'm going to be building quite yet.

Busta_SMurk or Busta SMurk, I always forget if there is an underscore or not.

And that goes for anyone else playing the new HC league, just add me. (Also in the GAF guild.)

tjohn86

Any cool builds for the upcoming Rampage league? I'm looking to jump back in. Got a Scion, Ranger and Duelist to lvl ~60 before.

KKRT00

Any cool builds for the upcoming Rampage league? I'm looking to jump back in. Got a Scion, Ranger and Duelist to lvl ~60 before.

Hard to tell, tons of changes happened.

I'm probably going dual daggers [or claws with life on hit, still not decided] very high attack speed, two auras, viper strike+melee splash+multi-strike + vulnerability + some spells

I'll be missing leap slam though a lot, i got used to this skill :p

HoosTrax

This is probably a noobish question, but I've only just now started to near endgame, so here goes:

The primary currency when it comes to trading for endgame gear seems to Exalt Orbs. I've seen a single Ex in the almost 200 hours I've played the game. Any suggestions / tips when it comes to the economy in general?

tjohn86

Hard to tell, tons of changes happened.

I'm probably going dual daggers [or claws with life on hit, still not decided] very high attack speed, two auras, viper strike+melee splash+multi-strike + vulnerability + some spells

I'll be missing leap slam though a lot, i got used to this skill :p

Cool. A claw build sounds like an interesting change. I guess I've got a bunch of reading to do on the forums.

I wasn't planning on playing a bow build again this league but with the buffs to bows, bow skills, and overall reworking of the ranger/shadow tree looks like I am leaning towards a crit split arrow/puncture build.

This is probably a noobish question, but I've only just now started to near endgame, so here goes:

The primary currency when it comes to trading for endgame gear seems to Exalt Orbs. I've seen a single Ex in the almost 200 hours I've played the game. Any suggestions / tips when it comes to the economy in general?

You trade other orbs for it, or find items that are worth exalts and sell them to people. You're not gonna find many of them, even if you play a long long time, but you'll find hundreds of chaos, alch, GCPs, maps and so on that you can trade for exalts.

TheFatOne

There's also one thing the other poster who replied to you didn't mention. You can trade in a full set of lvl 60 and above rares for a single chaos, and if unidentified you get two chaos. So if you trade in a rare helm,boots, glove, chest, belt, two rings, amulet, two weapon then you can trade them in for one chaos, and if you don't identify any of them you get two chaos. They all have to be rare and the item level has to be greater than or equal to 60. Generally you get currency through trading. That's were most people make enough to trade for exalts, or trade for other things.

I wasn't planning on playing a bow build again this league but with the buffs to bows, bow skills, and overall reworking of the ranger/shadow tree looks like I am leaning towards a crit split arrow/puncture build.

I think I'm going to try a bow build for the first time actually. I hope I don't fail.

I want to use Point Blank, and Ice Shot. I'm starting in either Marauder or Duelist to pick up some life and armour, then making my way over to the ranger area for damage nodes once I get around level 50-60ish.

Crit-hit, Point Blank, with Iron reflexes. Going to run Blood Rage, Hatred, and Grace.

Oh I hope this is isn't terrible.

Top Bottom