• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Rufus

Doesn't matter, no one is safe from those things or the hasted giants.
I had 50% fire res and 2.2k life. It was close. ;_;

The haste giants weren't so bad between ~30% mitigation, 54% evasion and 40% something block.

I think I'm gonna go with ball lightning next. Not sure which class to pick though.

TheFatOne

Blah just ripped right before act III merciless. Totally my fault though. Was trying to rush through to get to vaal under leveled, and died on a pack of huge monsters. Going to call it quits now officially. Not going to have time when school starts, and I'm not really having fun in the new league. Love the masters and new additions. Will just wait for the new league in the mean time. Good luck to everyone else playing in HC.

RyanDG

So, less than about 2 hours after i posted the message about finding the exalted orbs, I ripped my character when I opened a freezing strongbox and forgot I switched out my chilled dispell flask with a bleed flask for the Dominus fight.

Now onto build #3 for Beyond... Going with a viper strike CI witch. We'll hope she lasts longer than the previous 2.

Rufus

Reeeep and so on.

I made a Templar. In the mood for more hybrid defense. Using Flameblast until 31, then either switch for Ball Lightning or keep going. Flameblast is fun to play, and it works well with the Beyond assholes. Provided I survive long enough to channel to max...

Beyond mobs are a joke, and they nerf them because of the crying. Expected.
Two patches of nerfs, and only one seems justified (life regen) moreso due to time than difficulty. Sigh. If this was the non HC league I could understand the complaints. I'll play after work to see how bad the new nerf is but I'm kind of disappointed. I thought they did a good job of buffing players (health and attack speed) in preparation for the league. Soon we'll be left with powerful characters against boring Beyond mobs.

Melee has always been dangerous/bad in PoE, it's not new to Beyond.

I'd imagine there would have been less complaining if the drop rates were good. GGG really needs figure out that arpg incentives are two fold. It's not just about the thrill of challenge...it's about loot. Having an onslaught of loot drop doesn't matter if it's trash. Nor do I want D3 type guarantees for certain drops after you kill x, but they really need to up the drop rates according to difficulty.

V_Arnold

Maybe after 4 years of development, they should fucking do something about that then, no?
Or the game can remain awesome, but alternatively titled Path of Chaos Inoculation, or Path of Sharking at Trade Chat, or Path of Righteous Snapshotting (RIP, it only had a year+ to rampage balance :p)

TheFatOne

Beyond mobs are a joke, and they nerf them because of the crying. Expected.
When a large portion of players are all complaining about the same thing that means there's a legitimate problem. You may like beyond mobs, but they add a level of tediousness in this game that shouldn't be present. You already have to grind for gear/levels in this game, and beyond just makes that even less fun.

Two patches of nerfs, and only one seems justified (life regen) moreso due to time than difficulty. Sigh. If this was the non HC league I could understand the complaints. I'll play after work to see how bad the new nerf is but I'm kind of disappointed. I thought they did a good job of buffing players (health and attack speed) in preparation for the league. Soon we'll be left with powerful characters against boring Beyond mobs.

I'd imagine there would have been less complaining if the drop rates were good. GGG really needs figure out that arpg incentives are two fold. It's not just about the thrill of challenge...it's about loot. Having an onslaught of loot drop doesn't matter if it's trash. Nor do I want D3 type guarantees for certain drops after you kill x, but they really need to up the drop rates according to difficulty.
It's one thing to be a class that's dangerous to play, and it's quite another to be useless. Melee isn't the best in PoE, but you can't simply eliminate one portion of the game in a new league like they did in beyond. That's just terrible game design. If your answer to people who like to play melee is tough shit then people are going to stop playing the game. It's just stupid to alienate people like that.

Of course there would be less complaining if the drops were better. It would actually be a risk reward scenario instead of an all risk/time with zero reward. Beyond mobs just take far too much time. It's tedious and not fun. I don't understand how anyone can complain about a nerf to the speed melee dudes. They weren't balanced at all. Beyond league is anti new player. It's not fun at all getting a new character from 1-60.

I'm not a fan of the philosophy of GGG in regards to how they treat HC. I don't like increasing difficulty just to increase difficulty. Some things like that can work like nemesis mods because they increase the difficulty by adding a fun interesting mechanic. In beyond all they did was give mobs bullshit modifiers, and tons of health. There's nothing interesting about that. They like to increase the difficulty in every HC league, but they don't understand that increasing difficulty should increase rewards. There's nothing fun about spawning a bunch of over powered mobs, and having to waste 10 minutes trying to kill them for no reward.

I'm not defending the melee issues - I prefer playing tanky characters, I love sword n board...but I rarely do it in PoE anymore. It used to be fine, I could go with an Internal Blow build and wreck shit. But Invasion bosses really made me stop because there are literally some mobs you can't get close to without them shooting fire everywhere. Nemesis had some mobs that gave melee trouble as well, specifically those that blow up after you kill them.

Perhaps GGG would argue the game has a variety of ranged skill gems that compliment melee play. For instance you can have an Internal Blow build that also uses Ground Slam, or Spectral Throw; both would allow you to play melee while also having the ability to deal with mobs/bosses that screw melee over. Still I would prefer a system where I could go full melee without worry, or take on a boss without thinking I might get randomly crushed. I wish boss dmg made more sense in fact. When I played WoW, I could confidently tank knowing that I could handle damage thanks to gear and common sense (and being a great fucking tank...oh how I miss the days of Ulduar hard modes). Whereas in PoE it really seems like the dmg output is ridiculous.

On Beyond: I'm going to create a melee/range character tonight and see how it goes. I know my low lv witch summoner had no problem with Beyond mobs outside of the life regen one, before the nerfs. We'll see how an Internal Blow/Ground Slam build goes. I really want to try that new fire skill (Hearth of Fire or something).

Krassus

Herald of Ash I think is the new one you are talking about, it synergizes well with Hatred as a melee. IMO melee are fine, I am on Rampage with my first toon but Atziri downed day 4 of the new league at lvl 82.

Gothos

My sword and board Dulist using Molten Strike is progressing nicely. I shelved him for a day to try some Shadow built but I foolishly died at lvl 34 so I came back to my Duelist :) Right now I'm level 50 and having a good time but I'm already approaching the "Death Zone". Some beyond mobs are becoming really dangerous and even in normal world some combos are becoming scary :) Anyway, I'm having fun :)

Oh, and what the fuck did they do to Fireball? It looks pathetic now...

V_Arnold

McWDgCs.jpg

I am afraid Loremaster that Chris and GGG does not want us to protect your artifact :(

Eh, all those fancy portal critters running around trying to kill you, it's all a waste of dev time when desync is still king. By far the best fun-killer of all ARPGs, truly a problem worth never fixing, maybe make a new league from it turned to 11?

syko de4d

My rampage build works fine and is good fun. 3 different attacks + 4-5shots/sec is funny to play :)

And the last WE PoE reached a Player Peak count of 154,300! Over 150k played PoE simultaneously. And the most people i see in late game run around with cosmetic effects, looks like PoE runs good for them.

And if you get multiple people with Zana lvl 2+ you have one daily free map per day per person. This is really amazing. And often the maps are very special with different goals and mods. So with a group of 6 you can do 6 free maps per day and you can still find maps inside these maps.

Rufus

Eh, all those fancy portal critters running around trying to kill you, it's all a waste of dev time when desync is still king. By far the best fun-killer of all ARPGs, truly a problem worth never fixing, maybe make a new league from it turned to 11?
They did, it was called Onslaught. :p

They said they nerfed beyond mobs by removing haste and resist auras, but I'm still getting beyond mobs with those auras.

They're still a joke with or without the auras.

TheFatOne

I can't seem to quit beyond. Made a new character to show my friend this game, and 14% multistrike dropped, and I already had a quality molten strike so the decision to play again was easy.

Desync RIP. GG GGG. Now I'm a fireball shotgunner, got a 20%q faster proj gem and a level 19 blood magic gem from gem boxes, we baller now.

bokn

Banned
Man the drops in this game are pretty punishing.

I havent gotten a new 1h weapon in about 15 levels now. I cant even spec my dagger nodes because they just dont drop.

Zynx

Global 820 was pretty active early on, got a lot of rep grinded for most of the masters, but the exponentially increasing requirements are pretty ridiculous.

Zana is amazing - daily mission is a free map, sells maps, and gives you a map device for your hideout that gives you a little free item quantity. Hideouts are so slick - no more "figure out which eternal lab instance" when joining a mapping party already in a map.

Some of the special masters affixes are pretty damn amazing. Hits cannot be evaded? -8 to mana cost of skills? Too bad it's still a rich mofo's domain to really craft something amazing from them to really maximize the benefit - every aug I've tossed at them have resulted in crap so far. If I only got something promising with the aug, could regal it and then craft another mod on it with a master for something nice.

Ele Spectral Throw got nerfed hard, I'm a little upset. Actually, Spectral Throw is still pretty good - but the flat damage auras now are so weak unless you're super rich with shavs and can run low life (or blood magic) with a huge es pool (so you can run 6+ auras). With auras running on mana, the nerf to Anger and Wrath, AND the nerf to the aura passive nodes, they're so weak now.

I havent gotten a new 1h weapon in about 15 levels now. I cant even spec my dagger nodes because they just dont drop.

You know about the weapon upgrade vendor recipe? You can use a rare rustic sash and a whetstone with any weapon to turn it into a +80% physical damage magic weapon. A magic rustic sash will give you +60% or so. It can serve as an incremental upgrade if you can find a white or blue weapon of the next tier.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe

And if you've got masters leveled up, you can add attack speed or flat damage or whatever you want as well.

Rufus

Two solutions:

Get whatever white dagger is best at your level and sell it to a vendor with a whetsone and a blue (or yellow) rustic sash to get the same kind of dagger with about 60% IPD (increased physical damage) on it

AND/OR

Take it or another decent dagger with room for another mod to Vagan, the weaponmaster (you have to duel him to level him up). At level 2, he can put flat phys damage on a weapon for three alchemy orbs. That combined with IPD is great for melee weapons.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vagan,_Weaponmaster

That way you can get a good weapon relatively easily and don't have to wait for drops or trade for one.

TheFatOne

Finally made it to act III merciless. My character is still squishy. I'm going to continue to run searing bond while leveling my two flame totems. Trying to make a magic find dual flame totem build. The beyond mobs are really starting to piss me off though. My character is too squishy, and the dps isn't there yet for sarn. I can clear the regular mobs/rares no issues, but the beyond assholes continue to slow me down. Just super fucking annoying.

Edit:DON'T PLAY BEYOND RIGHT NOW!GGG added new beyond mobs and they might possibly be overturned/bugged. Wait until the next patch. I would link to the forums but I'm on my tablet. People with high health are being insta ripped. Be careful with beyond if you decided to play. Also lol GGG needed tidal masternruns justnfucking great. Unless your in a party running dailies your never hitting 8.

Gothos

How's the situtation of physical wanders right now? I'm thinking of making one in Beyond, went to google and lo behold, the last phys. wander build is from february of this year :D

Krassus

How's the situtation of physical wanders right now? I'm thinking of making one in Beyond, went to google and lo behold, the last phys. wander build is from february of this year :D

Phys wands are one of the sleeper market items so I have to imagine they are being used for something.

Melee stuff since so many using BoR or that FB build to farm Atziri is going through the roof. BoRs have shot up around 10-11ex

TheFatOne

Now that crafting is in the game I have no idea why it wasn't there to begin with. It's simply amazing. I found a tri resist boots with movement speed added life to it, found a 1k armor with two resists addeded a third resist, bought a high armor helmet with two resists added a third. Crafting is so fucking good. Now my character is more tanky, and my dps is coming along nicely. Making a magic find marauder, and only now need to buy aurseize, and two andvarius rings. The rings are going to take me forever to get, but that's just the way it is. Going to keep farming tidal island for the moment. Is there a better spot pre maps to farm for gear/masters than tidal island? Now that my dps is getting there the beyond, and I have 2.5k armor the beyond mobs don't bother me too much. The degen guys still can wreck havock, but otherwise I'm fine. If I can ever get two andvarius rings I'll actually start getting excited when I see beyond mobs.

Edit: I forgot I need the flask as well. Just need about 12 exalts for my end game gear. First I'm going to buy the flask then the rings.

Raide

Liking the new Patch. Getting back into PoE. It has a weird effect where I will play for endless hours and then I break and give up. One of the areas I have still not really nailed down is what items drop and if they are good. Sure as hell I have thrown loads away that may have been good lol.

Patch ruined my Righteous Fire Marauder, so he has been shelved till I know what to do with him.

Swapped out my Ranger and started using Tornado Shot + the new Herald of Ash gems. Dear god thats nuts! Rolling everything now. Would love to get the Ice Herald gem and see what that is like.

In other news....found some Facebreakers and I still cannot figure out a funny build with them. :D Might see about Herald of Ash + Infernal Blow.

Zynx

Have you guys followed the news about the new meta-crafting forsaken masters mods that are unlocked at level 8?

Elreon's allows you to master craft as many custom mods as will fit on an item following normal rules (3 prefix/3 suffix) - completely changes the item landscape! Mixed rares with some useful affixes and some non-useful ones aren't as attractive anymore, and with a bit of currency, you can get 4 or 5 precise, medium-tier mods that you wanted on something you craft.

Too bad I'll never reach level 8 reputation - it takes like 1 million rep to get from 7 to 8 alone, and you get 2k-5k each mission.

Can you craft on uniques? I was eyeing adding unarmed dmg to a pair of Facebreakers

Even if you could (I don't think you can, but I think they should allow it, would really make some uniques viable again), you can't craft a duplicate affix that's already on an item.

Quixzlizx

Liking the new Patch. Getting back into PoE. It has a weird effect where I will play for endless hours and then I break and give up. One of the areas I have still not really nailed down is what items drop and if they are good. Sure as hell I have thrown loads away that may have been good lol.

You generally want to have physical damage mods on weapons and life/resistance/(AR/EV/ES) mods on armor. A good phys damage mod on a weapon makes a huge dps difference.

How is it that after 2 years of constant development this game still has the worst netcode desynchronization issues of pretty much any aRPG game ever made?

Gothos

How is it that after 2 years of constant development this game still has the worst netcode desynchronization issues of pretty much any aRPG game ever made?

It can be frustrating but:

1. You eventually learn to live with it
2. In the grand scheme of awesome things found in PoE it's not that bad :p

V_Arnold

It can be frustrating but:

1. You eventually learn to live with it
2. In the grand scheme of awesome things found in PoE it's not that bad :p

With enough practice, one can apply victim blaming to PoE's desynch deaths too!

"A real pro would just *feel* a desynch coming ant quickly turn to his ALT+F4 macro"
"It is totally your fault for thinking that movement skills in this game are to be *used*. What were you thinking?"
"Oh yeah, when mobs are around, you really should not move"
"I mean....no stun keystones are in the game for a reason. Learn to build around that one!"

:D

KKRT00

Because it has the most complex defense system from all aRPG games.

The stun, block, freeze mechanics mess everything up, because npcs can root You even for 0.1s and You dont even know, You were rooted.

And as someone who made lvl 80 character on Nemesis league without one Alt+F4 its not really as bad if You behave correctly and dont rush too much.
But i think that desync is slightly bigger on Softcore, than HC, probably because of bigger userbase.

Raide

ohh, found a BrightBeak. Also, with the Vaal Orb thing, I have corrupted an item and I cannot see if it did anything. are the changes supposed to appear on the top of the item?

TheFatOne

I meant to mention this yesterday but forgot. If you are playing in beyond, and are in Act III let me know what kind can of gear you need. Since I am making a magic find character strictly for farming I will most likely eventually find you and upgrade. I would rather help fellow gaffers out than vendor them for a chaos or two, or sell them to someone else. With there being so many different builds I'm not sure what to keep for the guild. Just let me know, and as I farm I will be on the lookout for the gear. Right now I'm sitting at nearly 200 rarity, and eventually I'm going to have double andvarius, and the unique magic find potion. Of course this is all assuming I don't rip.

Edit: BTW my character name is AmbassadorGKar. If you see me on just let me know what to watch out for. Eventually I'm going to set up a shop, and if you're in the guild all you have to do is ask for a piece of gear and it's yours unless it's worth several exalts of course.

Speaking of shops, any advice on how best to set one up? Here's mine:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1018346

I also have a nice MF set and have been farming. I got the item rarity gem, and when I connect it to my Power Siphon I get up to 82% increased item rarity drops. I'll probably kill Piety a few times today; first run went well, lots of rares although when I killed Piety she only dropped blues lmao.

Top Bottom