• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Well that was quick.

1.2.0b patch notes
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1002563
Beyond League:

Added extra drop rewards for top-tier Beyond demons.
Removed the life regeneration aura from the Blood of Haast.
Removed "Monster Cleaves" display text from a bow-wielding Beyond demon.

I don't expect great loot from the first wave of portal mobs...but I at least would like something enticing to convince me to open more portals. I don't think PoE needs to go the D3 route and guarantee unique drops if you do x, however drop rates should increase alongside difficulty. It's a simple concept, in fact it's the underlining concept of ARPGs. You want to give people an incentive to play, to find a cool piece of loot that gets them hyped - an equal or better piece might not drop for an hour, but they'll still play while hoping for that next big drop.

I played more today. Created a witch so I could quickly get the Power Siphon gem and send it to my Shadow wander. I decided to do a summoner build with the witch, and threw in Firestorm for AOE. I'm doing so much damage that I'm constantly setting off portals...but my dps is high enough to handle them. Outside of the life regen ones, I'm not having any problems. But...few good drops.

One way to fix the portals would be to make them actual portals, and also make them optional at least half the time. I'd be perfectly fine with some automatically spawning, and others requiring you to stand inside a portal circle for 5 seconds to trigger a release.

That last one had me confused when I saw them in act 2. I wanted to see if they really could cleave with bows but had no way to test it, so I just killed them.

TheFatOne

I'm trying to enjoy beyond, but it's not for me. Just going to wait until the next league. The mobs just feel way to tedious right now. Beyond just feels way too close to invasion for me. Going to skip this league, and just play in the races and such.

Outside of one encounter with the life regen demon I didn't have any problems with Beyond mobs last night (before the patch). I've gotten to the point where my dps makes it pretty smooth; I imagine I'll hit a bump in the road as I continue to level though, but as long as I find decent loot I'll keep up.

Two uniques dropped for me last night but I'm still not seeing much of any currency outside of the minor stuff.

The new Merveil fight is crazy btw.

Rufus

The new Merveil fight dips my framerate into the teens in the second phase. Fucking annoying.

I also had my first death yesterday. orz Only lost a day's worth of progress (died at lvl 36) but it was deflating nonetheless. The 2nd iteration of this character is better and already got further though, so whatever.

Beyond really improves once you get a Vaal corrupted gem. Every time I trigger a portal I just pop my Vaal gem, corrupted Storm Call, and it wrecks the mobs. It eliminates most of them and significantly reduces the time required to finish off the unique mob. It has really changed my view of the league tbh. Act II really feels a lot better than Act I now simply because you get an increase of past league content, such as the corrupted areas and more strong boxes. In the previous league I tended to skip corrupted areas after awhile, but now I find myself entering each one just in hopes of getting a gem that will do a lot of aoe dps for me in tight situations.

Level 40 now in Beyond, act 1 Cruel. It's still shit.

I let out a "sigh" every time a portal pops, either an audible sigh or a mental one. Beyond isn't hard, it's not fun, and it's not rewarding. Worst league ever.

By the way, I'm a melee ranger. A cleave/double strike 1h sword + shield melee ranger. I didn't pick some OP totem or ranged build, I'm a damn melee ranger.

I let out a "sigh" every time a portal pops, either an audible sigh or a mental one. Beyond isn't hard, it's not fun, and it's not rewarding. Worst league ever.

By the way, I'm a melee ranger. A cleave/double strike 1h sword + shield melee ranger. I didn't pick some OP totem or ranged build, I'm a damn melee ranger.

Yeah, it's nothing great but I'm liking everything else so far in the game. I don't think I've ever had this much HP by the start of act 3 cruel and I'm loving it since taking HP nodes now have something pretty awesome at the end of it, plus that 12hp a level, god damn.

Some of the better items I've gotten so far.
mivbGic.png
hqPp1hf.png
KCa9aK0.png

Nerf when?

TheFatOne

My brother and a couple of his friends want to play HC so he asked me to play. Going to try and play beyond one more time, but I'm going searing bond to duel flame totems. If I die I'm going to try Rampage until I eventually get bored.

Rufus

Pick up Molten Strike. I play a sword and board Duelist and use it almost exclusively. Might want to turn the sound effects down a bit though...

Pick up Molten Strike. I play a sword and board Duelist and use it almost exclusively. Might want to turn the sound effects down a bit though...

I'm guessing that's a new skill because I never heard of it. I haven't played since last year I think. I'll try it out, thanks!

Yeah, it's nothing great but I'm liking everything else so far in the game.
Me too. I like the masters, updated maps and graphics since I last played, updated bosses and monsters, new skills, good shit.

Of course the biggest new feature of this patch (Masters) are a ridiculous grind. I read that once you get em to level 5 it goes really slow.

For those struggling with Beyond bosses...have you tried Vaal corrupted gem attacks on them? I'm telling you, it significantly reduces the time invested in Beyond mobs.

Started a melee ranger this morning too.

Love me some melee splash + viper strike now. Also have animate weapon for tons of hatred filled flying weapons.

Gothos

For those struggling with Beyond bosses...have you tried Vaal corrupted gem attacks on them? I'm telling you, it significantly reduces the time invested in Beyond mobs.

It's just more efficent and less annoying to simply skip them. They should be renamed 'HP Sponge'...

TheFatOne

Man they really should nerf the degen, quick attack, haste, powerful crits, and giant human beyond mobs. Most of the rips I see in beyond are to those guys. They are just way overpowered right now. Also, searing bond is so damn good to level. Reminds me of how I played the wizard in diablo 3 when it first came out lol
It's just more efficent and less annoying to simply skip them. They should be renamed 'HP Sponge'...

Yup yup yup.

Still doesn't solve the issue of how powerful they are in the beginning.

Still doesn't solve the issue of how powerful they are in the beginning.

Haven't they been nerfed enough for low levels though? I haven't rolled a new character since the patch but I'd imagine it's a lot easier now. When I was low level the toughest one was the life regen blob dude.

Right now the most annoying thing about Beyond is how cumbersome it is to open 3-4 portals on top of each other. I managed to do it earlier today and got two unique drops. Mob density is pretty low in many areas of the game, at least on normal, which means you have to drag mobs back and forth. So far the best place to do it is the Southern Forest or Wetlands in Act II, simply because you can let the monkey groups chase you around until you find a large group of enemies (or a strong box).

RyanDG

Just when I thought I was about to be done with Beyond, I ended up finding two exalted orbs while making my way up to Piety in Normal mode. Up until this point, I have found precisely one exalted orb in every league I've played (and this is with 400+ hours into this game). And instead of just 1, I find two in the same sequence of areas. At least now I know that at the very least, the orbs will be back in hardcore at the end of the league - and I also have a bit more inspiration to troop on (though I expect my run of luck is likely over lol).

V_Arnold

Been playing PoE since closed beta, have yet to find an exalted orb.

Did craft a 6l Oro's Sacrifice once with 20 fusings, if that counts for something.

Rufus

I found a great claw that pushed my dps from 820 to 1200. Beyond mobs are a lot less tedious now. :] Goodbye Leap Slam though (I was using a mace before)...

So would this be a bad time to mention that Im lvl 56 on rampage and I have found 3 exalteds?
You lucky sod.

Quixzlizx

Around how much is a melee physical damage gem on Rampage? I'm up to Piety in Normal and I've found a total of one chaos orb so far, lol.

Plissken

So, I bought a new video card a couple weeks back, and it came with $50 in-game money for this. Installed it today and have been enjoying it so far, but I have no idea what is worth spending this money on. Since it appears everything is cosmetic, not Pay 2 Win (which I think is great, btw), should I just use it on inventory and character slots? Do the "effect' items work for all characters on the account, or just the one you purchase them on? Thanks!

So, I bought a new video card a couple weeks back, and it came with $50 in-game money for this. Installed it today and have been enjoying it so far, but I have no idea what is worth spending this money on. Since it appears everything is cosmetic, not Pay 2 Win (which I think is great, btw), should I just use it on inventory and character slots? Do the "effect' items work for all characters on the account, or just the one you purchase them on? Thanks!

Stash tabs, since they're on sale if you want to play this game for longer then 2 weeks.

TheFatOne

Haven't they been nerfed enough for low levels though? I haven't rolled a new character since the patch but I'd imagine it's a lot easier now. When I was low level the toughest one was the life regen blob dude.

Right now the most annoying thing about Beyond is how cumbersome it is to open 3-4 portals on top of each other. I managed to do it earlier today and got two unique drops. Mob density is pretty low in many areas of the game, at least on normal, which means you have to drag mobs back and forth. So far the best place to do it is the Southern Forest or Wetlands in Act II, simply because you can let the monkey groups chase you around until you find a large group of enemies (or a strong box).

Didn't feel like they were nerfed for lower levels. At the moment they are still to buffed. They either have to increase the drops, or decrease the health. Makes no sense the way it is now. Spend 10 min on one mob pack for no gain, and those quick huge humans are extremely dangerous. This is all before merciless though since I just reached merc. Not sure how I'm going to feel about beyond mobs once I get to maps. Should be there in another day or two. I just don't like what beyond does to the game right now. It really slows the game down, and makes the grinding you normally have to do even more boring.

Once I get the dps though I imagine it won't be as bad, but making the game feel like a bigger grind from 1-60 is a problem. So far have had only one or two close calls using searing bond. Nearly ripped on dom being a dumbass. Didn't have my lightning capped stood in the totems, and he turned to me to do that quick fire lighting move. Good thing I had three seethings if not it would have been rip city.

Didn't feel like they were nerfed for lower levels. At the moment they are still to buffed. They either have to increase the drops, or decrease the health. Makes no sense the way it is now. Spend 10 min on one mob pack for no gain, and those quick huge humans are extremely dangerous. This is all before merciless though since I just reached merc. Not sure how I'm going to feel about beyond mobs once I get to maps. Should be there in another day or two. I just don't like what beyond does to the game right now. It really slows the game down, and makes the grinding you normally have to do even more boring.

Once I get the dps though I imagine it won't be as bad, but making the game feel like a bigger grind from 1-60 is a problem. So far have had only one or two close calls using searing bond. Nearly ripped on dom being a dumbass. Didn't have my lightning capped stood in the totems, and he turned to me to do that quick fire lighting move. Good thing I had three seethings if not it would have been rip city.

HP flask nodes and seething are carrying me in beyond, it's not even funny.

yesterday got 5L dropped but it's ar/es and I'm a pure evasion build.

Had a 6s, that I stopped using to use the 5L, put a few fuse into it for the lolz.

UOc6Enb.jpg

6 fusings. Damn. First ever 6L (well i did have a tabula a long time ago)

FiveEyes

Banned
Playing again after ages, haven't played since a few months after open beta. Nice to see all the improvements that you don't really notice from patch to patch.

Beyond league is sorta BS though, you're punished way too hard for doing something you're supposed to be good at (nuking mobs).

TheFatOne

I love the additions to the potions. They are so damn good now. Haven't even got the end game pots and I'm already in love. Great new additions. One of the things GGG nailed on the update. I haven't been able to use the masters yet, but once I get my gear/tankyness up I'm going to start grinding those levels. That 20% ES mod on rings is pretty insane though.

Edit:I forgot to mention this another reason I'm not doing masters is that some of them are bugged. I don't want to risk it in HC. I know I can just be patient and eventually I will get there. One thing I wish GGG did is that once you level your master it carries over. So if I level all my masters to 8 then any time I make a new character regardless of league all my masters will be leveled up. I don't like the idea of having to constantly grind my masters to lvl 8 every new league.

"When the new challenge leagues end, your hideout stashes will be merged with the destination leagues (Rampage with Standard, Beyond with Hardcore). Your favour totals will be added together. The highest reputation value with each master will be used."

From the patch notes. Prob have to rebuild hideout, but the reps will still be there in standard/hardcore. But yeah next 3month will be a start over.

You're in merciless and still don't have enough dps to handle Beyond mobs? Maybe I misread that dunno. I'm using a physical wander shadow and kind of restricted by how low wand drops are compared to other weapons, but my dps has kept up with Beyond mobs overall. I'm still in normal but I haven't really struggled with a portal in some time. I just pop Vaal Storm Call and then start nuking with Freeze Pulse, and finish them off with Power Siphon to get a power charge.

One way I think Beyond could potentially be improved would be to require players to click on the portals in order to release demons; so instead of an automatic release after four portals spawn, you would actually control them by clicking. I'd also love the ability to carry portals with you, so you can add them together and spawn mobs wherever you want; that would make it a lot easier than having to drag mobs across the map to where you have 2-3 portals ready. And perhaps carrying portals would do something like increase the chances of dangerous mobs spawning randomly, to make sure farming Beyond isn't easy.

KKRT00

Over the weekend we hit a new record of 154,300 users playing Path of Exile simultaneously! We're currently preparing a 1.2.0c patch (likely to be deployed tomorrow) which includes a lot of improvements to the Forsaken Masters experience. For example, you'll now be able to sell items to vendors in other people's hideouts, which will make mapping a lot more convenient!
Source: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1012566

Wow, thats amazing. Glad to see game is doing fine. They deserve it.

TheFatOne

I think I was apart of some instant karma today. On my way to merv in a group, and Elron is there. Most want to skip say so, but one guy says to do it because he's easy. Of course the one guy who wants to do it activates Elron. The screen fills up with summoning raging spirits and that guy gets melted, and dies before he can alt f4. He nearly caused 4 people to rip including myself. Just so damn dumb.
You're in merciless and still don't have enough dps to handle Beyond mobs? Maybe I misread that dunno. I'm using a physical wander shadow and kind of restricted by how low wand drops are compared to other weapons, but my dps has kept up with Beyond mobs overall. I'm still in normal but I haven't really struggled with a portal in some time. I just pop Vaal Storm Call and then start nuking with Freeze Pulse, and finish them off with Power Siphon to get a power charge.

One way I think Beyond could potentially be improved would be to require players to click on the portals in order to release demons; so instead of an automatic release after four portals spawn, you would actually control them by clicking. I'd also love the ability to carry portals with you, so you can add them together and spawn mobs wherever you want; that would make it a lot easier than having to drag mobs across the map to where you have 2-3 portals ready. And perhaps carrying portals would do something like increase the chances of dangerous mobs spawning randomly, to make sure farming Beyond isn't easy.
How many new players are going to have vaal storm call? The point I keep trying to make is that beyond is absolute garbage for new players. If you run melee in beyond you are fucked period. How is a melee character supposed to handle quick, haste, degen,crits, etc. that early. It's an insane mob type, and the person responsible should be fired. On no planet, universe, or time period would that mob ever be fun. Melee has most definitely taken a hit in beyond. The mob types were not thought through, or tested enough. I question how much these mobs were even tested. You would think that GGG would not want to do what they did in invasion, but they were able to replicate that flawlessly it seems. Right now beyond had the same exact start as invasion. Things that are far too overpowered, and now they have to scramble to patch this shit. It's just super annoying.

Second time through normal content is a piece of cake if you already have a high level character, but first time through beyond is pure ass. I can beat the beyond mobs it just takes forever, and is extremely tedious. Slows everything down. You already have to grind in this game, and now with beyond it just slows you down. See a portal kite mobs away, or if the portal goes off deal with the mobs. Either way it's tedious, and limits my farming speed. I can describe beyond in one word right now tedious. I know they are eventually going to patch this stuff that's why I keep playing, but I'm just being super defensive. I can describe beyond in one word right now tedious.
Source: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1012566

Wow, thats amazing. Glad to see game is doing fine. They deserve it.
I really hope they balance beyond with the patch, and fix the masters quests.

Rufus

I don't even use seething flask. I have two holloweds that heal form 1k more than I have health at the moment. I really like this change. I can actually carry a bunch of utility flasks on my bar now.

I think I was apart of some instant karma today. On my way to merv in a group, and Elron is there. Most want to skip say so, but one guy says to do it because he's easy. Of course the one guy who wants to do it activates Elron. The screen fills up with summoning raging spirits and that guy gets melted, and dies before he can alt f4. He nearly caused 4 people to rip including myself. Just so damn dumb.
Avoid Elreon like the plague. Got it.

RIP.

TheFatOne

I don't even use seething flask. I have two holloweds that heal form 1k more than I have health at the moment. I really like this change. I can actually carry a bunch of utility flasks on my bar now.

Avoid Elreon like the plague. Got it.

RIP.

You have to be careful with Haku as well. You can instant rip to him. Generally though I'm avoiding every master until they patch them.

You have to be careful with Haku as well. You can instant rip to him. Generally though I'm avoiding every master until they patch them.

I'm starting to consider this, but I'm trying to get to lv3 first lol so I can open up crafting options. I'm willing to risk it, at lv29 since I can quickly get back to this point if I die. But once I get to cruel I'll stop until it's patched. These...bugs (or is it design?) are beyond crazy. Hundreds of mobs spawning at once to fuck you up, rocks falling from the sky...nah.

Speaking of cruel...I'm kind of worried about Dominus again. I lost my last wander (Templar) to the leap slam dude at the beginning, in the Nemesis league iirc. This time I'm going for evasion/dodge which is scary in of itself - I've never done it before. Right now I mainly have armor gear but I'm starting to find decent evasion stuff.

Rufus

You have to be careful with Haku as well. You can instant rip to him.
Ugh. So far I've managed to avoid the rock fall and I can now whirling blades through any mobs in the way, but maybe I'll avoid him too...

On that note, the floating eyes in merciless are fucking terrifying. I went in with decent resists, 45-50% on everything but chaos of course and they rip me to shreds.

TheFatOne

I'm starting to consider this, but I'm trying to get to lv3 first lol so I can open up crafting options. I'm willing to risk it, at lv29 since I can quickly get back to this point if I die. But once I get to cruel I'll stop until it's patched. These...bugs (or is it design?) are beyond crazy. Hundreds of mobs spawning at once to fuck you up, rocks falling from the sky...nah.

Speaking of cruel...I'm kind of worried about Dominus again. I lost my last wander (Templar) to the leap slam dude at the beginning, in the Nemesis league iirc. This time I'm going for evasion/dodge which is scary in of itself - I've never done it before. Right now I mainly have armor gear but I'm starting to find decent evasion stuff.

Play in a party and tp in and out if you have to. Get a few shots, go to town,get a few shot, etc. That's how I do it with no armor. Life flasks are seriously op. If you have the currency try and roll at least one good one. Had two seethings when I went to dominus and it saved my ass. Everyone had ten levels on me, but I managed to survive.

Top Bottom