• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are those... exalted?`

The standard prices are so weird. I only play the 4months leagues, and well hardcore back when they didn't have the 4months leagues yet, so generally when something's like 4exalted, it's already godlike(and most people can't even afford it anyway).

Anyway done with lvl 80 finally, got some decent luck on map drops near the end so I finished doing 71-72s, was pretty fast. I could do 4/4 SC but I don't really care much for it, maybe if the armor would have been different.

Krassus

Jesus man that bow, I was farming Uber 2 leagues ago with a bow literally 1/2 as good as that and it would take me 15 seconds max to kill her.

Grats those who finished the challenges, back to D3 this Friday for a week or two for me to take it easy and not worry about difficulty until A4

KKRT00

OH MY GOD!!

THE BEST THING EVER!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1235695

ITEM FILTER!!

this was my most wanted thing for PoE

Cant wait for act4 release to play PoE again. Half year pause to not get burned out but with the new stuff its time to jump in again.

Yeah, i completely missed this post. Finally clusterfuck on the screen is gone :)

Definitely coming back for some PoE when act 4 hits. Should be more free at work as well by that time.

Zynx

Screenshot leak:
http://imgur.com/a/EXvIK
New type of 2H sword with implicit crit multi, first shots of the new chaos golem and probably a fire version of the golem as well, and a very strange screenshot of the duelist area of the passive tree...with something that looks like it's SOCKETED???

Post about new unique staff:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1240833
(You can also see that item base stats have been adjusted - the Vile Staff's damage, aps, and base crit have all been slightly changed.)

Apparently, game media outlet embargo ends tomorrow too, and the release date will be revealed then as well.

Kammie

That looks like some type of colosseum/arena. Wonder if it's something more than just another area. (There's loot on the ground)

KKRT00

How many hours more? I'm so excited!
I wasnt expecting to get news this week, so it caught me off guard totally.

---edit---
Seems like 8h more hours? Am i right?

Ps. Hate that this thread is in community :(

V_Arnold

KKRT00: we should make a thread about 2.0 news once it is up.
Also, I cant help but feel excited.

There was a thread in Reddit (I do not particularly like Reddit, but I visit /javascript and /pathofexile :p) about someone playing Diablo 2 for the first time, and had a few complaints about item/build variety, gameplay speed/balance, risks, etc.

And then Chris came into the thread and said this:
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on some of these points after playing through the next PoE expansion. The rebalance and some unannounced systems do address some of these points. Also the environments are gorgeous! (I feel I can say that objectively because I didn't work on the environments at all myself).

Very few things make me THIS excited in gaming - this post is one of those.

syko de4d

2 more hours till Act 4 News hype.

PoE is already by a big margin my most played game over the last 8 years.

New Expansion will be awesome :)

edit: any hope for implementation of Guild Hideouts? :D

KKRT00

2 more hours till Act 4 News hype.

PoE is already by a big margin my most played game over the last 8 years.

New Expansion will be awesome :)

In last 15 years its in the 6th place for me :)
1. EVE Online
2. Lineage 2
3. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
4: Counter Strike Source
5. Total Annihilation Spring
6. Path of Exile

Kalnos

Banned
One of the videos said netcode updates.

But I'm extremely hyped. Definitely signed up for the beta

I posted this in the other thread but it probably deserves to be posted here as well... from the lead programmer on Reddit:

With the expansion we are adding a Deterministic Lockstep mode to Path of Exile that will have no desync. Bear in mind that this means that when you click you will have to wait for whatever your ping time is before you start to move or do a skill.

This works the same way as you would see in strategy game like Starcraft or a MOBA like Dota.

Because this requires a fairly low latency to feel good we are still supporting the old mode for high ping players, however, we have a lot of improvements there too.

It's not quite finished yet and we are working out the bugs, but I'm optimisitic that we will be able to get it done before the beta starts, or otherwise a week or so into it.

We are also adding a bunch more servers to new locations in order to reduce latency so expect to see East and West coast of America servers, as well as more locations in Europe like London.

Sounds good, it will be interesting!

Zynx

yeah, the big changes seem to be the new lockstep mode, the socketed jewels, and doubling the number of monster base types ("from 17 to 34").

Bunch of possible jewels:
http://imgur.com/a/UYMHI
http://i.imgur.com/gFkGioA.jpg

Obvious big changes possible with the unique jewels, but there could also be interesting affixes on rare jewels - the +2 es on hit is pretty interesting, if it rolled higher and you socketed perhaps 6 of them...

Of course a bunch of new uniques too.
http://i.imgur.com/JZI2Bu5.png
http://4d663a369f9f03c3c61e-870e777...dn.com/images/MmOBSuF7t8eb.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v7eNfqv.png

KKRT00

Of course a bunch of new uniques too.
JZI2Bu5.png

Dat belt, but fuck me, those fucking GLOVES! They are outstanding, You can build so fun characters around it. Like having LVL 1 Cast on damage taken and 2x ice nova + Echo, and using cyclone as a main attack!

KKRT00

Stuff linked to Lvl 1 CwDT does like no damage though. I'm thinking of using the gloves with shockwave totem.

You dont need damage, You just need to pull enemies towards You :) 15lvl Knockback support gem gives You 39% change to knockback enemies, so its all about skill radius and frequency really.
Shockwave totem can die fast and limits Your movement between recasts.

--
Other good combo is attack speed + high radius based sweep character.

Hello everyone. Been playing this game off and on for around 3 years now and I have only really played with friends and family. I never really partied up with a lot of people and just did things at my own pace but I'd like to get some of you guys in here on my friends list so I can play with you all sometime.

I usually play most leagues and mess around in standard. I'll go through phases of playing game quite a bit for months at a time to just playing a little per week and having others to play with would be nice. Feel free to add me if any of you can. Hope to see you guys around.

IGN: LaRevenant

Zynx

It'll be super hilarious and awesome when a small niche game like PoE gets east coast north american servers before LoL does. I know the situation isn't the same, but still.

Probably not going to dive into PoE seriously again until the expansion is released for real - I like to keep my progress.

The 12 jewel slots on the passive tree aren't that flexible though. I mean, if any of the 20-odd unique jewels becomes OP in any of the locations, the location will probably move. I really do like the system, although it's not half as dynamic as it could be. 20 x 12 means 240 new combinations, and other than that, it's just like another handful of slots for the jewel affixes that you have to path to. Actually, I bet pathing will become even more standardized because of locations of the jewel sockets.

If unique jewels are rare, they're going to be super expensive I bet.

bokn

Banned
Damn, definitely coming back for this.

It'll be super hilarious and awesome when a small niche game like PoE gets east coast north american servers before LoL does. I know the situation isn't the same, but still.

only hilarious if you have a poor understanding of servers...

That having said, really appreciated PoE's OCE servers back in the day

Probably not going to dive into PoE seriously again until the expansion is released for real - I like to keep my progress.

The 12 jewel slots on the passive tree aren't that flexible though. I mean, if any of the 20-odd unique jewels becomes OP in any of the locations, the location will probably move. I really do like the system, although it's not half as dynamic as it could be. 20 x 12 means 240 new combinations, and other than that, it's just like another handful of slots for the jewel affixes that you have to path to. Actually, I bet pathing will become even more standardized because of locations of the jewel sockets.

If unique jewels are rare, they're going to be super expensive I bet.

We'll see how they go about it but I think other than the "pick any nodes even unlinked within radius" jewel, the unique jewels are extremely build specific and wouldn't be an issue of being OP or not, just enabling variations within existing builds or reinforcing the build strength. Which really isn't much different than picking a keystone like Elemental Equilibrium, Vaal Pact, CI, Resolute Technique, Acrobatics etc. Those are extremely strong nodes that have major impact on your build but they're balanced by being fairly spread out from each other and being either very specific or having downsides. I think Unique jewels will basically be similar, but they'll also be togglable on/off by just removing it, and you'll be able to get the node asap and put some stats in it with a rare jewel until your build is ready for the unique jewel improvement(or until you find one, which if they're not recipe based, means it'll take a while).

Stuff like changing the melee nodes into bow nodes for example will hardly be OP because there's plenty of bow nodes already and they're all pretty good(they used to be pretty crappy compared to melee several patches ago but not really anymore). It just lets you grab damage in a different area, so for example if you don't do a crit bow build, you can ignore the shadow area and instead go marauder area, which gives you more option for defensive stuff, gives Resolute Technique and changes the evasion centric stuff into armor centric stuff. But it's not like taking the "bow" nodes in marauder is going to be a lot better than taking the bow nodes in shadow, and I think that's what they're going for with those.

That's why the "pick any nodes in the area" one kinda look out of place and wouldn't surprise me they straight up remove it. It sounds very much like a must have just to get more stats out of your skill points and running around the tree grabbing a bunch of jewel slots only to stack these, which sounds boring.

The one thing that I was interested in about the jewel nodes, is other than uniques, you can use rares obviously, and there seems to be a large variety of affixes you can roll on these, a lot of which are very interesting. The fact you can swap them at will is also great since you could roll like a All resist/Chaos resist jewel for when you enter merciless/play an ele weakness map, and a phys damage/attackspeed jewel for the rest of the time, and you can swap those at no cost with minimal inventory bloat(jewels are one slot only). Assuming they also have ilvls, it's nodes that grow in power as you level up too, you unlock it early on and put a random crappy jewel you found but as you level and find more jewels, your stats improve until it becomes the "best" 1pt node you can get.

Anyway, very excited about the beta, hope I get in, I want to test those golems so bad.

Rufus

That's why the "pick any nodes in the area" one kinda look out of place and wouldn't surprise me they straight up remove it. It sounds very much like a must have just to get more stats out of your skill points and running around the tree grabbing a bunch of jewel slots only to stack these, which sounds boring.
Which is so obvious I expect them to be limited to only one unique gem (total, or just no doubles), to prevent exactly what you're talking about. Maybe they'll try it without a limit in the beta, but I very much expect their use to be limited in some way once Awakening is properly released.

Which is so obvious I expect them to be limited to only one unique gem (total, or just no doubles), to prevent exactly what you're talking about. Maybe they'll try it without a limit in the beta, but I very much expect their use to be limited in some way once Awakening is properly released.

Yeah but even with a limit, I think it's pretty boring design. They do that with some uniques every now and then and I think it's not a great idea. For example Belly of the Beast is just a very strong rare chest. It doesn't really do anything really unique, the flask thing maybe but the major aspect is it gives a lot more health than a normal chest, while still providing decent resists and defensive stats and has no downside. It's like a rare chest with triple health roll or whatever. That's boring, it's strong so it basically fits any build that uses health, though certain builds will choose to use a different unique chest because they benefit more from it, but I don't like that concept of just having a unique that's basically always better than any rare in that slot regardless, as long as you're a life build, which is a fair majority of the builds overall.

Though it might be different in this case, we'll see.

Rufus

Yeah, the unique chests got a little out of control. I can't think of a build outside of CI that would aim for a rare chest. Part of that is regular mitigation, especially armour, not being favoured right now.

Zynx

It's funny, ever since all the awakening stuff was announced - especially the closed beta, I've lost all desire to play the game. Perfect timing, I guess.

Kammie

It's funny, ever since all the awakening stuff was announced - especially the closed beta, I've lost all desire to play the game. Perfect timing, I guess.
I've actually been feeling "meh" about it as well, especially after the last announcement post. Gotta download a different client, can't talk to guildies or friends, will be subjected to multiple possible wipes (not just one at the end), only 2/3 of the content starting off, most of the new uniques will not be available....

Honestly, sounds like I may be better off just waiting until the official release. The main point seems to be balance from the beginning to endgame, and endgame is the only thing I enjoy. If I get beta access I'll think about it, but I won't cry if I don't.

I've actually been feeling "meh" about it as well, especially after the last announcement post. Gotta download a different client, can't talk to guildies or friends, will be subjected to multiple possible wipes (not just one at the end), only 2/3 of the content starting off, most of the new uniques will not be available....

Honestly, sounds like I may be better off just waiting until the official release. The main point seems to be balance from the beginning to endgame, and endgame is the only thing I enjoy. If I get beta access I'll think about it, but I won't cry if I don't.

I'm hyped about the patch, I'm not terribly hyped about the beta. If I get in, I will play it, because why not, but I think with no NDA, not getting in won't be a big deal, I assume a tree will be updated somewhere and all skills revealed and so on, so I can just play around with build ideas without actually playing them fine.

I'm still hyped about the patch and all the news related to it though. They just released the 13 new weapon types(one for each weapon) http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245272 and there's some really cool stuff in there.

Rufus

Yeha, I signed up just because, but I'm not sure I'll actually play. I will watch streamers though and depending on what they show I might change my mind.

Krassus

I want in the beta to see how they are shifting the meta and to test those golems.

I really really hope that lockstep works out

Died at 76 and 67 in the 1mhc. Done and done. Pretty much had the guild to myself heh.

No beta key for me. :( Streamers all getting in, should have gotten in on that racket.

Now the waiting begins.

No key for me ... yet ...

Any first impressions out there not from publications?

edit: The countdown page is hillarious. It has this Hunger Games vibe going. I don't really know if I want my username showing up on it =)

Krassus

Damn ill have to watch the archives.

First impressions though is that they slowed down A1-3 by a lot. I like the smaller areas for A2/A3.

Morokh

Too bad I only caught up late with the current league, MTX skins as rewards are exactly the kind of carrot that works with me :p

Should be able to do 2/4 in SC right before it ends unless I find someone that sells a boss kill and have some extra time to complete 5 more master quests i'm missing.

Kammie

Should be able to do 2/4 in SC right before it ends unless I find someone that sells a boss kill and have some extra time to complete 5 more master quests i'm missing.
Is the race still going? If so join /global 820, they share masters and sell boss kills there. Atziri was going for 6C about a week and a half back.

Top Bottom