• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Since I see no one brought it up:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1259694

Official release of 2.0 delayed by 2-3 additional weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up extending longer too, it seems like it's a lot of things for a modestly-sized company to handle.

Got to Act 4 in the beta, and it's pretty cool. Enemies move really fast, and they're a big step up from what we've gotten in the previous acts. Concentrating on a second 100 though, so I'm not playing it too much until then.

Glad they are going to rework some of the mods on jewels. With the feedback they are getting I can see this getting pushed back to early August honestly. I have a lot of games to play so I am not too bummed out honestly I am just glad they are making good progress and getting good feedback to help make the game better for us.

Krassus

Ive rolled a couple of 80's this weekend, one melee and one archer to get a feel for both. I took the archer up to 84 with split arrow, the change is nice it lets you go all supports since you don't need GMP.

Fortify is amazing for melee as a support. Vengeance is also really nice in a 4L and lets you use IC. Vengeance + LGoH + End Charge on Melee Stun + ID = always have endurance charges up. CWDT I now linked to warlords mark + IC + ID.

welp just lost my main in the beta lmao, right before Dominus too. So close to Act 4 lol. I think I might just soldier on in standard...

More than likely I'll just create a new hardcore character. Previous was a Ground Slam Marauder, which makes me even more embarrassed. That's such a fail safe build. But alas, got killed by the boss that throws lightning dmg traps.

Don't see much point of playing hardcore in the beta, I mean things are subject to change and a lot of stuff is broken. Death seems pretty likely.

Anyhoo, gonna play the one month, then buy a supporters pack if I don't get in that way.

Krassus

So many changes coming into the beta, I am def hopping over to the one month.

Lockstep looks to be coming late next week which will be cool to try out. These RM changes are probably just the beginning of the mana changes coming.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo, I'm bored as shit and I'm downloading PoE after not playing in over a year. I guess a lot has changed, or at least I hope it has. When I last played I got bored around level 70 just farming the Docks with no reward. And the performance was shocking in multiplayer which I hope they've fixed. OH OH, and is the desync better?

Sooo, I'm bored as shit and I'm downloading PoE after not playing in over a year. I guess a lot has changed, or at least I hope it has. When I last played I got bored around level 70 just farming the Docks with no reward. And the performance was shocking in multiplayer which I hope they've fixed. OH OH, and is the desync better?

The desync is better, in the beta. I think those bugs they identified while working on Lockstep are in the beta now (or will be), but Lockstep is being deployed later (this week). If you're coming back in after a year, it'd be better if you hopped right into the beta. I mean, I think you missed Masters during your year off, but at least playing in the beta, your mind will expect that things will be lost in a few months.

Krassus

The meta shift is already in process in the beta. They will keep rebalancing throughout the beta and I would more than likely expect a wipe next week when the lockstep is introduced.

Last night they changed reduced mana from lowering auras. In turn they lowered the mana reservations but its a pretty big change. A lot of the damage values and quality values were updated last night as well which is a lot to take in.

The meta shift is already in process in the beta. They will keep rebalancing throughout the beta and I would more than likely expect a wipe next week when the lockstep is introduced.

Last night they changed reduced mana from lowering auras. In turn they lowered the mana reservations but its a pretty big change. A lot of the damage values and quality values were updated last night as well which is a lot to take in.

Wow that's huge. I just read through the notes right now and was not expecting them to do that. I wonder what they have in store for auras now. It says they reduced the cost of auras so I am sure things will be pretty much the same but who knows.

Haunted

I could never really get into the unique seller recipe system. I just dump my leftovers yellow in there and get shit in return. >_>

feels bad

I could never really get into the unique seller recipe system. I just dump my leftovers yellow in there and get shit in return. >_>

feels bad

It's a great way to get easy chaos. I usually use the 2 chaos rare recipe as leagues get a little older as 95% of items I find are ass anyways.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The desync is better, in the beta. I think those bugs they identified while working on Lockstep are in the beta now (or will be), but Lockstep is being deployed later (this week). If you're coming back in after a year, it'd be better if you hopped right into the beta. I mean, I think you missed Masters during your year off, but at least playing in the beta, your mind will expect that things will be lost in a few months.

Just Google'd this, it sounds great. I used to have under 100ms all the time so I'll be able to use Lockstep. And why is it better to play beta? Do you keep everything you earn?

Just Google'd this, it sounds great. I used to have under 100ms all the time so I'll be able to use Lockstep. And why is it better to play beta? Do you keep everything you earn?

Well, it's a school of thought. I'm always excited by the new leagues with their fresh new economies, but some people aren't. So if you play now in whatever leagues are out there, you'll have to start over again in a month or two, so you might as well go into beta knowing that.

I guess it's a mentality kind of thing. Why play the "old stuff" when you can try out the "new stuff", even though a lot of it is new to you anyways?

Zynx

So more about the change to reduced mana, if what they're proposing (and is already in the beta) sticks.
Reduced mana, the gem, will no longer benefit auras. However, enlighten will now benefit auras (and no longer help gems level faster). The gem will also be not as effective as reduced mana was before, while the mana reservation levels on gems themselves will be slightly reduced.

If this goes through, I'm not giving GGG another cent. Why? Because it's deliberately gating something broadly useful behind an incredible grind. It's not the change to reduced mana, but shifting its benefits over to a rare gem that ALSO takes a zillion xp to level. (RNG help you if you want a level 4 corrupted enlighten for your build.)

The only time I've been so pissed at a move GGG made before was when they changed buying stash tabs from giving you new empty stash tabs no matter what your stash looked like, to first converting your remove-only tabs if you had any. I stopped buying stash tabs after that.

Kammie

The worst thing about the aura reservation thing is that this seriously--SERIOUSLY--fucks over just about every build out there on the perm leagues.

All to limit you into having to run a +6 Enlighten through very specific means, further limiting what all builds out there can do. It's not even about versatility, it's about limiting everyone to such basic elements that the balance team won't have to worry about balancing. We've already seen the tree so streamlined that all builds look the same, and now auras are getting hit with the same stick.

In the beta, they changed herald reservations from 25 to 30%. Two days later they changed them back to 25%.

I've said it before, but I think the game got away from the balance and design team a long time ago. They're just fumbling in the dark and improvising as the days go by. This is a bad change through and through.

Personally, I'm just pissed at myself for having bought a $130 supporter pack before they pulled all this crap.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying out this new league as it's supposed to be really fun with all the mods, and I've never done one. After it finishes everything I earn is moved to standard right? I don't just lose it all?

I've only played for 5 minutes and I've noticed improvements already, there's now voice acting at the start, the level up animation/audio is different and the tutorial is more fleshed out.

Rufus

That's why it's a beta, so they can make sweeping changes without much consequence. And I'd argue it's the only way they can know what impact their changes will have. Balancing things requires real-world testing, not just having a neat idea how things will work in theory. If they could know how things would work out without a beta there wouldn't be a beta. Not for game balance changes, anyway.

The overall plan is still to create more diversity and that requires some default assumptions to be shaken up. So, do let them know what you think, but don't assume anything you see is final.

I'm trying out this new league as it's supposed to be really fun with all the mods, and I've never done one. After it finishes everything I earn is moved to standard right? I don't just lose it all?

I've only played for 5 minutes and I've noticed improvements already, there's now voice acting at the start, the level up animation/audio is different and the tutorial is more fleshed out.
Yes, everything will move over to the parent/permanent league. Only exception are dead characters from hardcore temp leagues, they go straight to standard while the temp leagues are still going.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, desync seems worse than ever. Just died twice to the same boss because of it. I only have 30ms as well. I might have to put this on the back burner until the new system is implemented.

ou28Tig.jpg

I look so retro, we didn't have much cosmetic choice back when I played.

EDIT: The desync was especially bad on an event boss, I forget his name, but he had dual totems and a trap and he was in the first area so I'm sure you know who I mean, basically he'd land the trap, I'd desync and die in a few seconds. In general it's not too bad now. A few niggles I had with the game haven't been changed though, for example you still can't filter out items, so screen clutter will become an issue later on, and when you complete parts of a scroll for example it doesn't add it to your stack. It seems a lot of little QoL changes haven't been made and I kinda hoped they would have been in my year off. I'll keep playing though, I used to really love the game until I got burned out.

EDIT: Just ran into Elreon, Loremaster, he's new. The little event was cool.

EDIT: They've totally remade the Brutus fight, new abilities and the room is more open. I enjoyed it much more.

Hmm, desync seems worse than ever. Just died twice to the same boss because of it. I only have 30ms as well. I might have to put this on the back burner until the new system is implemented.

I look so retro, we didn't have much cosmetic choice back when I played.

EDIT: The desync was especially bad on an event boss, I forget his name, but he had dual totems and a trap and he was in the first area so I'm sure you know who I mean, basically he'd land the trap, I'd desync and die in a few seconds. In general it's not too bad now. A few niggles I had with the game haven't been changed though, for example you still can't filter out items, so screen clutter will become an issue later on, and when you complete parts of a scroll for example it doesn't add it to your stack. It seems a lot of little QoL changes haven't been made and I kinda hoped they would have been in my year off. I'll keep playing though, I used to really love the game until I got burned out.

EDIT: Just ran into Elreon, Loremaster, he's new. The little event was cool.

EDIT: They've totally remade the Brutus fight, new abilities and the room is more open. I enjoyed it much more.

There is a customizable item filter in the beta that is going to be implemented into the game when act 4 launches.

Brutus and Merveil fights were completely redone as well. Desync is still a little issue but hopefully the new system helps curb some of the problems. If you ever want someone to play with add me I'm an off and on player. IGN: LaRevenant

dommynick

I've been getting into this game lately after having dabbled in it during the closed beta and not really digging it. I'm having a lot more fun with it now as I'm doing level 70 maps. I'm playing in the standard league, how do you guys sell stuff? I've yet to sell a single item through the forums or the trading channels. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. Also, how do you guys price items? Specifically, I picked up this nice dagger and don't know what to sell it for:

k3krfIX.png

Zynx

The reduced mana to enlighten change: Why I'm upset is not because it breaks builds - that happens. It doesn't matter if they're testing the impact in the beta. The philosophy behind the change is what's terrible.

Reduced mana reservation is something broadly useful. Almost everyone uses auras, almost every uses mana. Reducing mana reservation is useful for almost everyone, unlike what GGG is saying. Changing access to it from a common gem to the rarest tier gem with obscene XP requirements locks it behind a massive grind.

Kammie

I've been getting into this game lately after having dabbled in it during the closed beta and not really digging it. I'm having a lot more fun with it now as I'm doing level 70 maps. I'm playing in the standard league, how do you guys sell stuff? I've yet to sell a single item through the forums or the trading channels. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. Also, how do you guys price items? Specifically, I picked up this nice dagger and don't know what to sell it for:

k3krfIX.png
You need to set up a shop with buyouts using Procurement.

As for pricing, just search on poe.trade with stats similar to what you have. You can use the following as a base for your dagger:

http://poe.trade/search/idoroyokonazuw

The dagger itself doesn't have a normal crit chance stat to boost the base crit on the weapon, and daggers are used primarily for Cast on Crit. So it probably won't sell for much, if at all. There are also a lot of wasted stats on there, so you can't master or yolo craft on it.

You're not really gonna be able to sell items on standard unless they have mostly top tier and desirable stats. Everyone has most of what they need already. Main way I make my money is by alching jewelry, I buy 100 alchs for 1 ex and alch 75+ ivl pieces. I make that money back and generally get a few gg pieces out of it. Other than that, you can level gems to 20 or sell currency (fuse, alts, regrets) for exalts. But the economy is kind of screwed at the moment and the rates are not good for the small-time farmers.

Edit: One more note: The market in standard is pretty much dead at the moment. Between the end of the league, the beta, and the race, there is hardly anybody buying anything or making new builds. So it's a difficult time to save up for items.

^Agreed with Kammie.

Standard is much more of a buyer friendly market as there are so many items for sale unless you have top tier uniques and rares that are in high demand. The easiest way to get currency is to do the chaos recipe (full set of ilvl 60 gear) and to use master exchange rates once a day to get fusings from vorici and sell those I am not sure of the exact rate but I think it is 40 fus:1 ex.

With the end of leagues and the 1 month going on as well as beta and act 4 coming in a few months things are pretty slow. You might be able to find some good gear for cheaper than usual as people that are still playing will lower things to make them move faster.

I make most of my currency in leagues since things are much easier to sell and through currency selling. Procurement is the best way to go and I think leagues are more suited towards newer players that don't have as much of a solid foundation as people who have been playing it for years. I usually never use the trading channels and never browse them as they are usually a mess, poe.trade is your best bet for buying/pricing things.

Unfortunately the economy is one of the hardest things for most players to grasp in this game and does drive many I have tried to get into it away.

Kammie

Well, that's kind of a bummer, but thanks for the advice.
Don't disregard the jewelry thing, though. I'm still making 1-2 ex and up to 100 chaos per day. Don't be afraid to price things 20c and above either, they will sell if the items complete someone's build.

For example, in the past few days I've sold:

Diamond Ring - 1-2 flat phys, 74 life, 41 cold res, 12 lightning res, 1% life leech, +2 mana on kill - 2ex
Agate Amulet - +249 accuracy, 8% evasion, 36 fire res, 44 lightning res - 2 ex
Unset Ring - 25 strength, 49 dexterity, 37 energy shield, 44 fire res - 2 ex

Just give people some attribute stats, a few high resistances, leech, and a few good high offensive stats, and you'll still sell things even if they're not perfect. Life is perhaps the least significant so long as you have a spot it can be crafted in with masters. People will often search based on other stats.

Only thing is that you need to understand it will take a while for a buyer to come along in standard, so you need to play daily and probably buy a few stash tabs so that you have a decent variety of items up for sale on your shop.

Edit: You will also almost never sell weapons or armor. So don't waste your time. This is a market driven by gg items and a couple of uniques.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Has the game lost a lot of players in the past year? I look at the public games and there's never more than a few up, whereas when I played you could always get a Docks, FSR, Ledge, WF farm group going. Or is it people just don't participate in the events? Hell, only one person join when I made my Merveil group public and that always used to insta fill up.

Has the game lost a lot of players in the past year? I look at the public games and there's never more than a few up, whereas when I played you could always get a Docks, FSR, Ledge, WF farm group going. Or is it people just don't participate in the events? Hell, only one person join when I made my Merveil group public and that always used to insta fill up.

There's a 1 month league going on right now. Others are in the beta or waiting until 2.0 officially launches. I hopped on last night for a little to run maps and it wasn't so bad. Seems to be a pretty decent amount of people in the beta when I logged on though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing the monthly, I really like the new mission NPCs and random bosses, are these just for events or the base game? I also signed up for the beta so fingers crossed, is there any other way to get into the beta apart from buying in? I already spent enough money on this game when I first started. And I really can't wait for item filtering to be added, I've seen some custom scripts on Reddit and they're perfect.

I'm doing the monthly, I really like the new mission NPCs and random bosses, are these just for events or the base game? I also signed up for the beta so fingers crossed, is there any other way to get into the beta apart from buying in? I already spent enough money on this game when I first started. And I really can't wait for item filtering to be added, I've seen some custom scripts on Reddit and they're perfect.

Most unique aspects from the leagues have been added into the main game albeit at a smaller rate than their actual leagues. The only way to get certain league mods in the main game is through Zana's map device/daily quests. Things like invasion and beyond are through her map device while strongboxes from ambush, nemesis mods, domination shrines can spawn in all parts of the game.

Only way I know of getting into beta is buying supporter pack, getting selected, or winning a key from a stream/website. Good thing about supporter packs is that you get in-game currency to buy things with some exclusive cosmetic items and if you are planning on buying more tabs or something in the near future it is a win-win for you.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'll just wait then, I already have like 9 tabs and a bunch of cosmetics. BTW are all the cool looking armours behind a pay wall? I remember my level 75 looked like a level 1 and I was just wondering if it's the same now.

I'll just wait then, I already have like 9 tabs and a bunch of cosmetics. BTW are all the cool looking armours behind a pay wall? I remember my level 75 looked like a level 1 and I was just wondering if it's the same now.

They've been updating armor pieces in the game with new 3D art every couple months. Things like Kaom's and Shavronne's now have their own model that represent the 2D inventory art. Other base items have been getting their own new 3D models as well. Unfortunately most of the cool looking armors and sets that you see most people wear are, in fact, MTX most characters without MTX on their items look kind of crappy and just a mash up of different things unfortunately. They usually have sales on their armor sets pretty frequently so you can get them for 30%-50% off depending on how old they are.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I decided to ditch my lowbie and just play my level 76, but after speccing him I've realised I'm missing many gems needed to make my build work. I'm missing Herald of Ash, Physical Projectile Attack Damage x2, Increased Critical Damage, Increased Critical Strikes, Increased Burning Damage, Elemental Proliferation, Cast When Damage Taken. I guess I need to trade for these, but I have no idea what they're worth, any advice would be good.

EDIT: And what's up with socket colours? I just spent 40 mats trying to get 3 red, 1 blue on my Ranger and it never gave me more than 1 red. Is it just bad luck or near on impossible to get certain colour combos on certain items?

ScRYeD

Hmm, I decided to ditch my lowbie and just play my level 76, but after speccing him I've realised I'm missing many gems needed to make my build work. I'm missing Herald of Ash, Physical Projectile Attack Damage x2, Increased Critical Damage, Increased Critical Strikes, Increased Burning Damage, Elemental Proliferation, Cast When Damage Taken. I guess I need to trade for these, but I have no idea what they're worth, any advice would be good.

EDIT: And what's up with socket colours? I just spent 40 mats trying to get 3 red, 1 blue on my Ranger and it never gave me more than 1 red. Is it just bad luck or near on impossible to get certain colour combos on certain items?
Depends on 2 things, stat needed to equip and the item level. The higher the level of item the more it rolls its primary color.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Chromatic_Orb?cookieSetup=true

Are you in standard of the 1 month? If you are in standard I am sure I have plenty of these laying around somewhere in tabs that I could give you for free. I haven't played the 1 month as I have been messing around in beta.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are you in standard of the 1 month? If you are in standard I am sure I have plenty of these laying around somewhere in tabs that I could give you for free. I haven't played the 1 month as I have been messing around in beta.

EU standard, I still need Physical Projectile Attack Damage, Increased Critical Damage, Increased Critical Strikes & Cast When Damage Taken and would happily take charity.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's your in game name? I'll send you a request.

HackQT

EDIT: Thanks for the freebies, I now have all the gems I need for the build, and managed to 4 link the chest you gave me before all my mats ran out which was just what I needed. That portal gem is pretty slick as well, that's one more inventory space.

Krassus

If you need any gear, uniques, gems, or currency in standard I have a shit ton. I can give you some stacks of exalted orbs to help you get started as well.

Same with beta, if anyone wants any currency or gear please post. I only play new leagues and delete the chars once the league is over.

RM changes aren't as bad as I thought. Last night I noticed they tweaked Disc back down to 35% and I had mana to spare running 2 heralds and disc. I can see now it opens up the ability for us to run extra auras at an early stage while freeing up the RM gem. All in all it was a good change for the overall game.

Lockstep is Friday along with a new skill, they mentioned the last 1/2 of act 4 isn't going in yet but a huge chuck of voice acting is going in.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If you need any gear, uniques, gems, or currency in standard I have a shit ton. I can give you some stacks of exalted orbs to help you get started as well.

Same with beta, if anyone wants any currency or gear please post. I only play new leagues and delete the chars once the league is over.

RM changes aren't as bad as I thought. Last night I noticed they tweaked Disc back down to 35% and I had mana to spare running 2 heralds and disc. I can see now it opens up the ability for us to run extra auras at an early stage while freeing up the RM gem. All in all it was a good change for the overall game.

Lockstep is Friday along with a new skill, they mentioned the last 1/2 of act 4 isn't going in yet but a huge chuck of voice acting is going in.

Hellshingo hooked me up with most of the basic gems, but I still need a quality accuracy and Vaal haste if you have them spare. I posted my name above, just add me up if you like.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Also guys, my resist is AWFUL, what's the best way to bump them up? I was thinking jewellery perhaps? 35%, 59%, -45%, -52%. I take a lot of damage right now. I want to start doing maps (I have a couple of low level ones, 66 I think) but I want to do them safely as dying at my level is a total gut punch.

Rufus

Jewellery (resist rings with all res if possible), boots, gloves (if you don't need them for damage), belt, chest (if you're not using some unique), helm. Shields are huge, too. Even weapons if you don't need damage stats on them... Just look at the piece of gear which gives you the least resists and then replace that. Repeat until capped.
Don't worry about Chaos res for now (just be careful around chaos dmg), but you do want to cap your elementals for sure (75%). Ideally 135% so enemy curses and map mods don't drop you below 75%, worry about overcapping only when you're regularly capped.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Basically any item that won't gimp my damage too much then :D

Also, am I blind or is there no way to see the min/max rolls of an item? That's a pretty important feature IMO.

Rufus

Yeah, that would be handy. There's an autohotkey script that can tell you what tier and possible ranges the values of the affixes on items have (it's allowed, too), but for me most part people just learn the highest possible (end game) tiers and common implicits on rings, like diamond rings, which have max 30% implicit crit chance, etc.

Krassus

I can help you with resists also, I always bank all of my jewelry before deleting toons.

What build are you using? That would help me immensely in getting you setup for some gear.

Rufus

I think it's a fairly new feature, just remembered that it exists. You can hide your precious thingies in your privacy settings.

Top Bottom