• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Mulgrok

Handy tip from an old summoner, reroll health/hybrid potions until they have the suffix allowing them to heal your summons. They make a HUGE difference while levelling, and are very useful for doing harder stuff while undergeared.

I just came back to this game in over a year and my summoner dies constantly in act 4 merciless at 83. Guess it has to do with my really, really crappy gear and how they nerfed summon burn damage. My gems are almost level 20 so I will probably have to just give up on progressing soon in order to level 20% quality ones.

Standard is the only way I roll, because I ain't got the patience for dealing with starting over a lot.

KKRT00

Oh god! Not my 2nd string armor and gems I toss in there because I can't use it! Nah, just take anything you want, we put it in there for a reason, we keep all the good stuff from finds anyway.

Yep, if its in guild stash, You can grab it freely.

And if someone kicked You in the past, it was because we cleared inactive accounts to add new people. There is no problem with reinviting anyone if they are active and want be in the guild :)

I dont really understand why GGG havent done proper chat system still. I want private chats goddammit. I can bet that most guilds are used only as a private chats.

I just came back to this game in over a year and my summoner dies constantly in act 4 merciless at 83. Guess it has to do with my really, really crappy gear and how they nerfed summon burn damage. My gems are almost level 20 so I will probably have to just give up on progressing soon in order to level 20% quality ones.

Revenant Specters from late Act 4, support with spell echo, chain, minion damage and (if you have the extra room) lightning penetration.

I haven't messed with raging spirits but the revenant specter summons are very strong. Their AI does the only thing it needs to do (spam spells, not derp around) and the projectile coverage is terrific.

Started a character in warbands yesterday at work and ripped plenty to malachai because I'd get latency spikes of 1000ms -_- I'll save those boss fights for when I'm at home.

My IGN is SummonHells. If someone could invite me to guild that'd be awesome if not just send me a friend request so I can fill up my list with some of you guys. Thanks.

Been doing some research on this and I'm interested in trying it out. This is probably a stupid question, but what's the best way to get it running on a Mac?

Been meaning to get back into this. I still haven't finished the game, furthest I've been was maybe level 40. Can anyone put me onto a beginner ranged build? Not poison arrow though. While I found that effective it was kind of boring

KKRT00

Been meaning to get back into this. I still haven't finished the game, furthest I've been was maybe level 40. Can anyone put me onto a beginner ranged build? Not poison arrow though. While I found that effective it was kind of boring

I have not played bow in like 3 years, but it should be easy.
A little life + tons of physical damage nods/elemental damage nods + projectile damage nods.
Its the best range type of character so You can pretty much go glass cannon if You play softcore.
If You play hardcore, You can combine it with summons for great survivability.

If you play Warbands, I'll toss the Silverbranch that dropped for me yesterday in Tab 9 of the guild stash.

There was a major bow focus last iteration. I don't know what all went into it, but they definitely looked into what makes it fun and what was broken about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Who's in the guild and on right now? Perkel isn't on to bother.

Taz

Is there an EU guild or doesn't it matter because you can change to any server? If so who do I contact thanks

For my ign Wiztaz

If you play Warbands, I'll toss the Silverbranch that dropped for me yesterday in Tab 9 of the guild stash.

There was a major bow focus last iteration. I don't know what all went into it, but they definitely looked into what makes it fun and what was broken about it.

Thanks. I made a new character IGN is BowenMarsha_ if I can get a guild invite

Started a character in warbands yesterday at work and ripped plenty to malachai because I'd get latency spikes of 1000ms -_- I'll save those boss fights for when I'm at home.

My IGN is SummonHells. If someone could invite me to guild that'd be awesome if not just send me a friend request so I can fill up my list with some of you guys. Thanks.

I literally died from a spike on him from the very start of the fight.

I walk in, Piety just starts to become invincible and I get a spike. Half a second later, after my screen unfreezes, I'm dead because Malacai did his huge attack.

I'm getting like 40 ping all day and spiked like twice. One just happened to do it at the worst time possible.

ozbzdZK.jpg

alc'd this on tempest a few days ago, sold it for 1ex 30c today. Alchemy orbs ftw.

Gothos

Right? Careful though, it can make you overconfident.

Hehe, I know what you mean. Cyclone is nuts in terms of damage - I'm basically god know, although I had really good weapon drops, which obviously helps immensly. And in 3 levels I'm gonna use Kaom's Legacy which dropped in the first day of the league :D I'm gonna be an absolute monster, hyhy...

TheFatOne

I'm not really feeling the changes to damage of the mobs right now. Just constantly feels like your character is never progressing because everything hits hard. Regular white mobs hit hard, blue mobs hit hard, rare mobs hit hard, and uniques hit hard. Everything does a ton of damage and as a caster there is not much you can do for defenses. Armour now feels like it doesn't do anything. Doesn't matter how much armour I stack doesn't feel like it does much except maybe save me from one shots.Not feeling the change to damage right now at all. Maybe it will grow on me, but this is one change I really dislike. I wouldn't mind the change to mobs damage if they gave you more options defensively.Overall I like the small balance changes they have made. Malachai still has way way to much health in the second part. Three hearts concept should honestly just be scraped. They just need a bigger map for the second part, and to scrap the hearts.

The size of that map (for Malachai) is absymal. If they wanted to have unpreventable damage, bake it into the mechanics, not the map.

Also dealing with the master crafting options vs. all the random ass prefix/suffixes on rares is is yucky if you are new player. Are external scripts/helpers the only options here?

Rufus

I went full summoner at the end of normal. Had to grind to 46 to survive Piety, and Malachai's second form proved too much for my minions, but I was only supporting them with one aura (Purity of Elements, which doesn't even cap my resists, my gear is that bad). That fight is even more of a nightmare (hurr durr) with a summoner.

About to finish A2C. Revenants are great. That is all.

Also dealing with the master crafting options vs. all the random ass prefix/suffixes on rares is is yucky if you are new player. Are external scripts/helpers the only options here?
Yes, unfortunately. Not even scripts will be able to unravel the values when they involve hybrid affixes.

Just beat Cruel Malachai . Fuck that fight sideways with a sandblaster. 2.3k life, 2.1k ES, fabulous gear and I still needed 23 town portals to kill him.

Morokh

Just died at Cruel Malachai, he appeared and did his big aoe attack and I was just at the wrong spot .......

at least this time I didn't die in a stupid way during Act3 Cruel :p

Gothos

RIP here too, ehh. My 3rd dead char and I think I'm done with PoE for at least a couple of weeks.... Or maybe I'll roll some fun character in Warband, hm...

If you decide to play hardcore, fully expect to die. The question is not if, but when.

That's OK, because hardcore is really about building a stash, not a character.

I think paying out the 1/2c to get someone with endgame gear to kill Malachai on Cruel is a really good deal unless you know your character can deal with the mechanics.

Rolling with an Ice Crash Marauder still, almost done with Act 3 (normal). Finally had time to play this weekend. I expected Tempests to become interesting in later stages of the game, especially in small areas/high mob density places but so far it hasn't been an issue at all; I'm cruising through Lunaris Temple right now, no close calls due to the buffs thus far. I lost a character on the first day the league started in one of the Act 1 caves due to running into the middle of a pack that had just received a crit buff but that was my only hiccup.

I'm getting an itch to create some type of 1H character, dunno what yet. My Marauder is using a 2H mace right now but jeez I'm getting so many good 1H weapon drops, the temptation to go sword n board with another character is high as fuck.

I also have a character on the HC ladder in Cruel...Kinetic Blast Shadow. I heard that build got nerfed pretty badly so I haven't picked it up yet.

TheFatOne

So this time I'm going to play super safe for a while before I do maps as a mf character. Right now I'm going to be farming a ton of Piety/Voll/Dominus until I get the rest of the mf gear I need. If you are on tempest and on the guild let me know what you need as far as upgrades for gear. The only thing I can't find are rings and amulets. I throw all of those in the two chaos recipe since the chances of finding a really great one are so low, and they don't drop often.

KKRT00

. I expected Tempests to become interesting in later stages of the game,

I dont know how it looks like in Merciless, but in Cruel the zone gets additional affixes like maps next to tempest buffs.
So for example it can have freezing tempest + totems everywhere or it can have shock ground + lighting tempest.
Recently i was in Weaver's zone i got desecrated ground + poison tempest. You definitely had to play strategically, because the zone is really narrow.

Hi!

My best character is a lvl 55 storm call witch. But she is a glass cannon: I do decent damage, 1450 avg per storm call (according to skill description), I get 5 storm calls off before they all explode. But I'm a glass cannon. If a boss on cruel or above looks at me, I fall over and die. If more than 2 trash monsters start hitting me, I fall over and die.

- How do I get more tanky? Should I focus on energy shield or life? Energy shield AND life? Are full resists mandatory? Just how important is putting passive skill points into ES/Life nodes?

- So, I need better gear to be more tanky. How do I farm the gear best? I don't mean best locations. I mean, how do I get the best farming gear? I can't easily get +X% item rarity above 50% or +X% item quantity over 10%.

I have tried to watch some "farming guide" videos, but they mostly talk about locations and never how to get decent farming gear. I have seen people talk about +100% rarity & +100% item quantity or above, but I have no idea how people get to these numbers.

Cerity

Haven't played since the Vaal update but for farming hit up http://poe.trade/ or just get lucky with finds. Get boots with increased movement speed & run item rarity + culling strike gems.

Been playing over the last few days, got a Tornado Shot Ranger up to 50 and seems to be going alright. Really enjoying the changes since I last played.

Haven't played since the Vaal update but for farming hit up http://poe.trade/ or just get lucky with finds. Get boots with increased movement speed & run item rarity + culling strike gems.

Been playing over the last few days, got a Tornado Shot Ranger up to 50 and seems to be going alright. Really enjoying the changes since I last played.

Wow, that looks like a very useful site. Thanks!

Zynx

Full fire/cold/lightning resists are pretty much mandatory, enemy elemental damage is pretty much set assuming players have full resists. Having anything less than full resists will result in taking a lot of additional damage.

For example if something were to deal 1000 fire damage (before resists) - after 75% fire resist, you only take 250 damage. But if you only had 50% fire resist, you would take 500 damage, twice as much.

Also remember that as you advance in difficulties, the "base" resists your character has without gear changes. At normal, you have 0% resists without gear, at cruel, -20%, and merciless -60%. So you would need more resists on gear to get full resists as you advance in difficulty.

The second aspect of defense is life (or energy shield). In this patch, unless you have a specialized build, I highly recommend focusing on life over energy shield. First off, energy shield all comes from gear (you have zero otherwise), while you get 12 life per level, as well as 2 life per 10 strength, so you already have a head start with life if your gear is not all focused on energy shield. Also, you can recover life with flasks, which you cannot with ES. With ES, you have to either wait and not take damage for awhile for it to recharge, or rely on regeneration or leech, both which are pretty weak in this patch to solely rely on for sustaining.

Getting % life on your passive tree is quite important, since it multiplies what life you have from your levels, and gear.

There are defenses beyond life and resists like armor and evasion, but definitely focus on those two first.

As for farming, I can't give you much advice since I've never really been good at it, but one thing to note is that better gear than what you have can be pretty cheap to obtain with poe.trade, especially if you're patient.

Breezed through Dominus in part thanks to alch'ing this
BOsiTnX.png

Act IV is cool so far; I'm glad I didn't try it out in the beta. Really like Highgate and also like the high mob density of that lake area where Vol is; I read it was a very good farming area during beta but dunno if GGG altered the drop rates since then.

Ice Crash is easy mode thus far (especially with Endurance Charge on Melee Stun); I have Fortify tied to Heavy Strike for more mitigation as well. I think I'll create a secondary character tonight after work. Whoever mentioned HC is more about building a stash than building a character is 100% right. I should be able to breeze right to Act 4 with a new character thanks to the solid leveling gear I've found.

KKRT00

Act IV is cool so far; I'm glad I didn't try it out in the beta. Really like Highgate and also like the high mob density of that lake area where Vol is; I read it was a very good farming area during beta but dunno if GGG altered the drop rates since then.

Was great on normal.

Glad to see people are still into poe on gaf.

As a side note, Ive died with 2 characters already, one stupid death to cruel Daresso, and one in early maps to big colossal vaal fallen. DO NOT fuck with them, they will destroy you. Both my guys were cycloners and for my current guy I decided to go sweep.

Sweep is so damn fun. So much aoe and it clears so fast! On merc A2 atm and should be at maps by tonight but I have to recommend buying a good cheap 2h tier 3 weapon when you can. Immensely helps the progression. Around 57 to 58 which is cruel A4 end, you can get sick Karui Mauls and Choppers or maybe a headsman sword.

Made it to act 4. Didn't die once until Dominus but the Daresso fight destroyed me. Was barely doing any damage at all and he hit like a truck.

I'm not sure how rare the currency items are, I was thinking I should use an alchemy on a current level bow. When will I start seeing 4 and 5 slot items being common. I'd really like to link up my tornado/ice shots since I have all the necessary support gems but the best I've got now is a 3 link.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would not use Alchs until late cruel-mid merciless.

KKRT00

I would not use Alchs until late cruel-mid merciless.

You have on HC sometimes, especially on jewerly. And i got pretty awesome amulet yesterday this way:

Rarity: Rare
Glyph Beads
Onyx Amulet
--------
Requirements:
Level: 28
--------
Item Level: 40
--------
+16 to all Attributes
--------
8% increased Spell Damage
+75 to Accuracy Rating
+52 to maximum Life
+18 to maximum Energy Shield
+25% to Fire Resistance
+17% to Lightning Resistance

Zynx

If your gear isn't very good and it's too much of a hassle to trade for better stuff, use vendor recipes.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes

What you do, is you take the required input items, and sell it to any vendor. Instead of the usual currency scraps they give you as return, they'll give up a slightly-upgraded item. For example, if you take a bow (try to find one with the best base damage you can), along with a yellow rustic sash and a blacksmith's whetstone, you'll get back the bow with its affixes replaced by "50-69% increased physical damage", which might be better than whatever weapon you're currently using.

The really useful ones are the % increased physical damage (or x added physical damage, if you have multiple spare granite flasks) for physical attackers and +1 fire/cold/lightning gem for elemental spellcasters. The movement speed for boots is also pretty nice.

I would also suggest not using orbs to just randomly roll items until the itemlevel of such items is 60+, except for jewels where the itemlevel doesn't matter (I personally wait until 75+) because the itemlevel of an item affects what possible things can roll on it. The higher the itemlevel, the better the affixes that can roll. The same orbs can get you much more if you put in the effort to trade.

As for currency rarity, I can provide a general overview:

Scrolls (Wisdom/Portal), Armor scraps, blacksmith whetstones, orbs of transmutation/augmentation/chromatics/jewellers/alteration are pretty common.

Orbs of chance/fusing/alchemy/scouring/regret, Glassblowers, gemcutter prisms, and vaal/regal/chaos/blessed orbs are less common. The chaos orb is the most commonly used bartering orb, and most of the others are considered worth a certain fraction or multiple of chaos orbs.

Divine orbs and exalted orbs are the rare orbs. Exalted orbs are commonly used when bartering for more rare/expensive items. You most likely want to save these to trade and not to craft, unless you really, really know what you're doing.

The mirror of kalandra is super duper rare.

In your search for 4 or 5 link items, have you regularly checked the armor/weapon vendor in town? 4-links should be pretty common after you've progressed somewhat through the game. They're also supplied as quest rewards in the later difficulties. 5-links are much less common though, let alone 6-links.

question: provided you are at the act already, can you "buy" waypoints from other players by having them join your group, go to the waypoint, and open up a portal?

I'd really like to just skip act 4 merc forever outside of the mines quest for a skill point but get the harvest waypoint for revenant summons.

Zynx

You can skip areas and get waypoints by taking portals from other people in your party, but certain areas are blocked off until you get specific "quest states". For example, you can't enter the scepter of god (even from a party member's portal) until you have gotten the key from piety and actually inserted it into the door.

Hey GAF

Been playing casually this league 'till this weekend hit, and dude, did I ever get sucked in.

I have 2 characters now in Act 4 Cruel in Tempest, and WOW, holy shit, this game realllllllly spiked in difficulty in act 4. I first had a Magma orb character just face rolling everything, and then one i hit act 4, almost ripped in the Dried Lake area my first time through, and couldn't even complete the objective.

So I rolled a melee character, built it to tank, and it seems to be working/rolling the area pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4nw9aPz9E

A video of my build taking shape, I use Ice Crash, and it's purely an elemental weapon build. That new support skill Physical to Lightning is EXTREMELY powerful, I had no idea it existed until I found it on the ground somewhere. The new Fortify skill seems like it's necessary for melee builds, and I don't like the idea of that, but it seems to be working alright.

If any of you HC pro's give me any feedback, that would be great. As I said, its just starting to take shape, I still need things like Iron Reflexes and Unwavering Stance, and more Endurance Charges (that I'll pick up closer to 70), I have at least a free 4-link for skills, and don't know what I could use to compliment what I already have going on.

All-in-all, this patch is amazing, and the new content is impressive. A+ GGG.

Fortify

TheFatOne

question: provided you are at the act already, can you "buy" waypoints from other players by having them join your group, go to the waypoint, and open up a portal?

I'd really like to just skip act 4 merc forever outside of the mines quest for a skill point but get the harvest waypoint for revenant summons.

Yes

Thought I'd ask here since I'm desperate.

I'm looking to buy tora signature bows (bleed on hit) on Tempest with the following lvl5 tora (for 6 sockets) dex under 120, attack speed at least 1.4, Perfect bow would be grove bow. I'll throw you an alc for them. (they reset everytime you do her daily or level her).

It's proving very hard to get one and then craft APS onto it. Need it for a weird build I thought up, can't complete it without the damn bow.

Top Bottom