• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

lol forget that, just got one, aug'd 5hp on hit, regaled 1-6 lightning. (i needed lightning/fire for EE) then 6socketed it in 12jewellers.

Full fire/cold/lightning resists are pretty m *clip* atient.

Thank you for the help! Looks like I have severely overestimated the usefulness of those +lightning dmg nodes.

run item rarity + culling strike gems

With around +100% rarity (half of that from the rarity gem), in 2h of gameplay (or a bit less) I got 4 uniques yesterday. One of them which was useful for me \o/, plus tons of new rares I could use. Thanks for the obvious tip that I had not even considered. Might have gotten lucky, but it still feels good.

Got to Kaom, room had energizing tempests everywhere. Tried for a few minutes, almost had him down...but decided to just bail out. Not going to lose my character due to that shit lol, I'll kill him tomorrow. His damage wasn't horrible on its own, but with charges from the tempest...nope.

His dream is cool though. The ranged mobs can do decent damage while many of the melee ones get in the way. It creates a more strategic fight than most mob packs in the game.

Cerity

Found this bad boy, goes perfect with my ranger.
lFmxeOo.png

Shit's awesome.

With around +100% rarity (half of that from the rarity gem), in 2h of gameplay (or a bit less) I got 4 uniques yesterday. One of them which was useful for me \o/, plus tons of new rares I could use. Thanks for the obvious tip that I had not even considered. Might have gotten lucky, but it still feels good.

Throw it on a golem during normal play for a bit of fun lol.

TheFatOne

Got to Kaom, room had energizing tempests everywhere. Tried for a few minutes, almost had him down...but decided to just bail out. Not going to lose my character due to that shit lol, I'll kill him tomorrow. His damage wasn't horrible on its own, but with charges from the tempest...nope.

His dream is cool though. The ranged mobs can do decent damage while many of the melee ones get in the way. It creates a more strategic fight than most mob packs in the game.

I beat him with an energizing tempest and it was bananas. Only way I beat him was because of dual flame totems.

So I rolled a melee character, built it to tank, and it seems to be working/rolling the area pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O4nw9aPz9E

Mind linking to your skill tree? I was just thinking I want to start a melee tanky character. My summoner is having a really hard time in Act 4 normal and I'd like to continue on with the game without this frustration.

so i just decided to play this game the other night. any advice?

Read as much as you can about builds. The new act is really tough, and it seems like it's really weeding out less optimal builds.

Their class forums off the main page is a good place to start. A lot of people post certified or theoretical builds up there and do a good job describing how their approach is in building it.

I'd say, jump in with your own ideas, probably get stuck at Level 20 (but now have a grasp of the game itself), then explore the possible ideas floating out there.

inky

I would suggest going for a simple and cheap build first just so you nail down the mechanics and learn more about the game in general. Aim to beat normal difficulty and go from there. There is a lot of depth to the game and sometimes people don't realize that many suggested builds only come together in the later part of the game, and as a consequence have a poor impression of the leveling experience if they jump into a guide immediately.

You have many character slots so don't be afraid to use them if feel like trying different styles of play either.

Defeated Kaom on my lunch break. No energizing tempest but this time I got the cold dmg tempest that does damage to you as well as enemies. Got a unique iron ring drop. Overall the fight is cool. It sort of reminded me of a pre-Cataclysm WoW raid fight tbh.

I like how farmable Act 4 seems. Bosses are easily accessible, time wise. Both Vol and Kaom can be found in like five minutes. I'll kill them a few more times on normal, maybe see how much MF gear I can sneak in; Vol is pretty easy so I'll try a near full set of MF on him.

How is Kaom's difficulty in cruel?

Rufus

Kaom isn't too bad even in cruel. Provided your fire resist is in order, since you can't really avoid taking fire damage from the arena.

---

I just died on my summoner. I'm not going to open another exile strongbox. -___-

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can someone send an guild invite to character name: Sumitcher, please?

Mind linking to your skill tree? I was just thinking I want to start a melee tanky character. My summoner is having a really hard time in Act 4 normal and I'd like to continue on with the game with
out this frustration.

This is it right now. Honestly, it's an organic build, and I'm kinda using a similar outline to my molten strike character from Beyond, which I had some crazy tanky success with.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...AZsGCxLjPftIh1fjZYdrB4XPp1eoY7SDvDu988B_3Mvnd

I'm sure they're better builds out there but I'm stubborn and like to learn on my own.

I'll eventually get the ring that allows dual curse, and CWDT Enfeeble on it, and manually throw my offensive curse. Also, I usually run 1 defensive and offensive aura, however, I think this time, I'm going to stack the heralds, and Arctic Armour instead. I'll have 7 Endurance charges so hopefully that'll be enough, combined with the new Fortify buff. In Beyond, I had a 86 character with 90% physical damage reduction, life gain on hit, and I would face tank everything. It was incredible.

This is it right now. Honestly, it's an organic build, and I'm kinda using a similar outline to my molten strike character from Beyond, which I had some crazy tanky success with.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...AZsGCxLjPftIh1fjZYdrB4XPp1eoY7SDvDu988B_3Mvnd

I'm sure they're better builds out there but I'm stubborn and like to learn on my own.

I'll eventually get the ring that allows dual curse, and CWDT Enfeeble on it, and manually throw my offensive curse. Also, I usually run 1 defensive and offensive aura, however, I think this time, I'm going to stack the heralds, and Arctic Armour instead. I'll have 7 Endurance charges so hopefully that'll be enough, combined with the new Fortify buff. In Beyond, I had a 86 character with 90% physical damage reduction, life gain on hit, and I would face tank everything. It was incredible.

Thanks so much, doing something similar but with marauder. I also like messing around on my own but I've been burned on a couple characters doing that.

DC'd during the Malachai fight, right as I was about to kill Piety; luckily I didn't die during the DC, which has happened to some folks. Honestly the fight is a bit hectic but not as crazy as I expected. I avoided his attacks pretty easily and didn't use a portal. Granted I didn't finish the fight, but so far I'm feeling pretty confident.

edit: beat him
kN0vCUf.png

Couple SUPER close calls in the second phase due to getting stuck on top of him as he came out the ground...outside of that it was pretty smooth. Very mechanical fight. Cruel version will be insane though; I got hit by a few things I shouldn't have been hit by, and that could easily equal death in cruel.

KKRT00

Can someone send an guild invite to character name: Sumitcher, please?

Will do that today at the evening, so about 12h from now.

---
Strongboxes are stone cold killers. :(

Yeah, but i still open everyone of them, but generally started to identify rares beforehand.
The important part is preparation. Never kill monster near a box, never fight rares near the box while opening it, especially with auras. Always have quicksilver active and unfreeze potion prepared and pop-up granite/jade. Run/teleport as far as You can after opening it. Use Vaal gem just before activation.

Finished normal for the first time yesterday after backing the game in 2012 and making about 10 characters. Game really clicked this time. I'm right around the end of act 3 on cruel and it's gone pretty well. The only things I've been killed by were a crazy warband pack in act 1 and a wild combo of yellows in a vaal chamber.

I'm about due for a weapon upgrade but I can't seem to get the 4 link I need anywhere else. Should I worry about it if I can still kill stuff in reasonable time? My tornado shot dps is around 1000 now at level 53.

Cerity

Only ones I don't touch are the freeze you upon opening ones and that's only because I don't have a flask that unfreezes me on use.

Open -> blink arrow away has saved me every other time.

Morokh

Back to A3 Cruel with a new character, planning for a dual shockwave totem build this time.

I leveled with flame totem + Firestorm so far (added cold + added lightning on both) and it's incredibly smooth even with very little damage investment.

Don't really know when I should make the switch though :p

Only ones I don't touch are the freeze you upon opening ones and that's only because I don't have a flask that unfreezes me on use.

Open -> blink arrow away has saved me every other time.

Can strongboxes be identified somehow before opening them? I always assumed you needed to open a strongbox to identify it.

--edit
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Strongbox
A non-normal strongbox must be identified with a Scroll of Wisdom to reveal its modifiers.

Huh, TIL. This makes things easier :)

You know that You can use currency items on them too? So You can make rares with alchemy orbs from normal ones?

That's awesome, I didn't know that! Though my first thought is that using alchemy orbs on them isn't really worth it. I'd probably use my stacks and stacks of orbs of transmutation though and save alchemies on more end-game content things.

That's awesome, I didn't know that! Though my first thought is that using alchemy orbs on them isn't really worth it. I'd probably use my stacks and stacks of orbs of transmutation though and save alchemies on more end-game content things.

There's different type of boxes, if it's like a gem box or a map box, using currency on them is very worth it cause you can get stuff like +2levels or quality x% on everything and so on. You can use transmutes/alts to roll simple mods too if you don't want to spend an alch, or you can yolo vaal stuff.

Strongboxes are probably one of the best things they've added from one of the leagues. Exiles are pretty nice too, mostly as a "there's always a risk" kind of thing. A lot of the other stuff is not so interesting.

Various ways to deal with bad boxes are to reroll them, obviously ignore them, have smoke mine on alternate weapon set and drop mine, open box then detonate, can also be done with blink arrow and the teleport thing. For the freezing one, if you shoot a blink arrow then click it, you'll be teleported while frozen(or at least it worked like that last league before 2.0) so it's generally fine, especially since mobs will attack the clone you left behind. Most risky boxes are detonate dead, you want to be very careful about how many corpses are around, it's also like multiple detonate not just one, I ripped to one from underestimating it at 79 on the lvl 80 challenge HC league, that was pretty annoying.

KKRT00

There's different type of boxes, if it's like a gem box or a map box, using currency on them is very worth it cause you can get stuff like +2levels or quality x% on everything and so on. You can use transmutes/alts to roll simple mods too if you don't want to spend an alch, or you can yolo vaal stuff.

Strongboxes are probably one of the best things they've added from one of the leagues. Exiles are pretty nice too, mostly as a "there's always a risk" kind of thing. A lot of the other stuff is not so interesting.

Various ways to deal with bad boxes are to reroll them, obviously ignore them, have smoke mine on alternate weapon set and drop mine, open box then detonate, can also be done with blink arrow and the teleport thing. For the freezing one, if you shoot a blink arrow then click it, you'll be teleported while frozen(or at least it worked like that last league before 2.0) so it's generally fine, especially since mobs will attack the clone you left behind. Most risky boxes are detonate dead, you want to be very careful about how many corpses are around, it's also like multiple detonate not just one, I ripped to one from underestimating it at 79 on the lvl 80 challenge HC league, that was pretty annoying.

Yeah, strongboxes are probably the best addition to the game, but Nemesis league was awesome too.

Cerity

I always spend smaller currency (up to alchs) on the strongboxes when I'm farming, it's a fun mix up. Also found out earlier that he detonate corpses one don't just detonate the bodies that are already there lol.

Rufus

Yeah, but i still open everyone of them, but generally started to identify rares beforehand.
The important part is preparation. Never kill monster near a box, never fight rares near the box while opening it, especially with auras. Always have quicksilver active and unfreeze potion prepared and pop-up granite/jade. Run/teleport as far as You can after opening it. Use Vaal gem just before activation.
Most crucially, install the game to an SSD so it doesn't freeze for several seconds to load in their stupid MTX. orz

I really like how previous league additions work together now. Strongboxes, rogue exiles, shrines, etc all make it more interesting and have great synergy. I'd imagine it's even more impressive and fun to new players.

Overall I enjoyed Act 4. Kaom and Daresso's dreams feel fresh, and challenging at times. I also liked the Dried Lake zone which will be a good farming place, and the mines aren't bad (I prefer the look over the boring caves of Act 1).

However I thought the final part of the act was disappointing and felt rushed. It doesn't feel like a climax to the act at all, and instead feels like a short race. Especially when compared to the final areas of Act 2 and especially 3. I like the Piety fight but the three bosses you face to unlock the final boss are a waste. Seems like at least one of them should have had their own dream, like Kaom and Daresso. The fat dude who curses you is especially bad. Very underwhelming...

But the actual Malachai fight is very impressive. However the end is another anti climax. He dies, nothing happens, and a portal to cruel opens. I can understand it ending like that in a beta but the live game? Nah. To make matters worse when I killed him last night he only dropped blues lol.

Even before Dominus was added to Act 3 it felt better than the final part of Act 4. Lunaris Temple is a great last zone.

N E R F B O Y S

Summoner isn't unplayable now, but clear speed on 72+ maps is complete pants. I think you either use this character on HC endgame w/ a slight respec as a dedicated curse support in a group or plateau him out at 72 maps and load up on MF gear and just use them to farm. I'm nearly 81 now and am doing the latter.

So I hit Merciless and had the shit kicked out of me by the warband packs (rest still seems easier than act 4 cruel). Still I'm trying to step my gear game up and made a few moves. Here's my character so far

Made my first trade for a weapon and got this one for 1 chaos orb, did I do good? It's seems nice outside of the low roll critical chance but I couldn't do much better for just 1 orb, then I did 2 to get the physical damage for 3 chaos total. I ask because I don't really know how much everything is worth. I've found I think 10 chaos so far but this seemed like a sound investment. I'm pretty satisfied with my helmet but the rest I'm not too sure about. My goal is to cap resists (I think they're between 40 and 60) and get more life. I'd like to get the gloves with evasion instead but they're pretty good for me right now. Also I'd like to get some strength so I can run herald of ash instead of herald of ice.

Can anyone clue me in on what to go for first?

KKRT00

So I hit Merciless and had the shit kicked out of me by the warband packs (rest still seems easier than act 4 cruel). Still I'm trying to step my gear game up and made a few moves. Here's my character so far

Made my first trade for a weapon and got this one for 1 chaos orb, did I do good? It's seems nice outside of the low roll critical chance but I couldn't do much better for just 1 orb, then I did 2 to get the physical damage for 3 chaos total. I ask because I don't really know how much everything is worth. I've found I think 10 chaos so far but this seemed like a sound investment. I'm pretty satisfied with my helmet but the rest I'm not too sure about. My goal is to cap resists (I think they're between 40 and 60) and get more life. I'd like to get the gloves with evasion instead but they're pretty good for me right now. Also I'd like to get some strength so I can run herald of ash instead of herald of ice.

Can anyone clue me in on what to go for first?

Yep, this weapon was definitely worth 1c, so You did good there.

Cerity

capping resists should be the easiest way to go first I think, then start looking at all that extra stuff on top of those resists.

Picked up an 1 slot Infractem yesterday for 1 fusing, took maybe another chaos of jewellers/fusings/chroms to get it to what I needed. Pays to refresh poe.trade a couple times haha.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah sorry, i wasnt online yesterday. I got back home around 11pm and went asleep :)
As soon as i get ingame, i'll add You, i remember :)

Thanks, I got it. :) I'll probably grab that Eat Corpse->Minion Speed skillgem later. At least now I have a reason to get on and attempt to finish the game solo. Those long pre-loads to get to the login screen kinda kill my desire to play at times so I haven't played in a week. Whoops.

GxqhgqN.png

So I've been using this guy from the beginning on my marauder now, I think it actually dropped on the coastline from my witch. I'm level 34, can't find a replacement at all. Is this broken? Like the physical damage % seems way too high.

edit: nm, just looked it up on the wiki, looks like it's within the stat ranges listed.

Hit a roadblock on merciless in act 4 Daresso's Dream. The pit fight with the chickens is completely nuts. I died once, fair enough, but then I went back in and it looks like all the waves are in there and I die before I even get off an attack lol. Kaom's dream while dangerous I didn't die there. Got really close against Kaom with the stupid fireballs flying from everywhere and the little skulls. Kaom's hits himself barely knocked off 20% health.

At level 68 and since I'm all of my items are at or below mid-50's my rangers evade is getting really bad. What should I do now?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What are your defenses like and what's your build?

Are you using a golem? I find golems make very good offtanks.

V_Arnold

Hit a roadblock on merciless in act 4 Daresso's Dream. The pit fight with the chickens is completely nuts. I died once, fair enough, but then I went back in and it looks like all the waves are in there and I die before I even get off an attack lol. Kaom's dream while dangerous I didn't die there. Got really close against Kaom with the stupid fireballs flying from everywhere and the little skulls. Kaom's hits himself barely knocked off 20% health.

At level 68 and since I'm all of my items are at or below mid-50's my rangers evade is getting really bad. What should I do now?

You will not complete merciless act4 on level68, sorry. You just wont. I am lv78 (farmed Fellshrine ruins for 10 levels, are on 4/6 on justicar cards), and I am starting to go there, slowly.

You need proper gear and all the help that +10 passive skill points will give your build by the time you level.

What are your defenses like and what's your build?

Are you using a golem? I find golems make very good offtanks.

2.9k health, 33% evade and the 50% dodge from from acrobatics. Elemental resists ate capped but I think the damage is all physical and there's no room to kite.

You will not complete merciless act4 on level68, sorry. You just wont. I am lv78 (farmed Fellshrine ruins for 10 levels, are on 4/6 on justicar cards), and I am starting to go there, slowly.

You need proper gear and all the help that +10 passive skill points will give your build by the time you level.

Thought so. The area definitely screams, "come back later." but it's a 68 area so I thought it might be worth checking.

Haly

Nah, I'm level 67/68 and I'm already inside The Harvest on Merciless. It comes down to how flexible your build is and how quickly it ramps up. I'm using Poison Arrow so I just need to run around in circles and lead mobs through the cloud.

The chickens gave me some trouble, but honestly you don't need to kill of them. Quicksilver to the other end and get out. Only one of the Arenas is actually gated, the encounter before Daresso I believe.

Whats your main source of damage and what are the numbers like on it? Are you using Blink Arrow with Faster Attacks? Have you considered bringing 1-2 Granite Flasks just for the initial burst? Or Cast when Damage Taken and Immortal Call can give you the split second you need to survive in time to pot.

Also make sure at least one of your Health Flasks is one of those Instant ones, and at least one can counter Bleed. Bleed is killer in Daresso's dream.

V_Arnold

My Wild Strike is doing 15k dps, my ramped up Frenzy is at 12k+ dps too.

3,5k hp (low :p), very little armor, and 90-91% evade (40+30+21).
What I will do is once I get a 6l, I will add one more dps through the links, then simply spec off a few damage nodes, and spec into auras so I can sustain 3 auras instead of two. Third, of course, being arctic armor :D

Haly

One very important thing in Act 4 is just to never stand still. If you're rooted to the spot spamming Tornado shot, you're going to get rekt.

I don't know if you're actually doing this but this is my experience going from a melee oriented build that hit a wall in Merciless Act 4 to my current Poison Guy who didn't even die to Koam/Piety (did die to Daresso because he's a cheater).

Move, shoot once, move again. It's slow but you'll get there eventually.

TheFatOne

GGG really messed up with the new leagues. Warband is complete garbage, and tempest is slightly less so. There are some really interesting tempests, but they are far too rare and happen only in maps. I don't get what the thought process was behind that decision. Why gate the good stuff in new leagues to map only. All of the other tempest you encounter until maps are really garbage. It's not until maps you can get a corrupted or magic find tempest. Just ridiculous. Lots of really silly stupid decisions. You can really tell they rushed Act IV and the new leagues. The new leagues especially feel half baked. Still loving the game because of the desync fix, but if it wasn't for that I would have skipped the awakening completely.

GGG really messed up with the new leagues. Warband is complete garbage, and tempest is slightly less so. There are some really interesting tempests, but they are far too rare and happen only in maps. I don't get what the thought process was behind that decision. Why gate the good stuff in new leagues to map only. All of the other tempest you encounter until maps are really garbage. It's not until maps you can get a corrupted or magic find tempest. Just ridiculous. Lots of really silly stupid decisions. You can really tell they rushed Act IV and the new leagues. The new leagues especially feel half baked. Still loving the game because of the desync fix, but if it wasn't for that I would have skipped the awakening completely.

I'm enjoying Tempest but agree that the diversity of tempests is pretty eh thus far. I'm in Act III Cruel and really haven't found a Tempest that makes me specifically want to farm one area over another. When the leagues were announced it really seemed like both were really going to encourage farming. You'd want to be in a zone with that beneficial tempest, and when you add Divination Cards into the equation it would be even more appealing/lucrative. But the only loot beneficial tempest I've seen is one that drops mats instead of items. If there are 6 active Tempests in an act it would make sense for there to be an increased chance that AT LEAST one have some type of loot benefit. Higher item rarity, item quality, x amount of links on armor, x amount of resistance on gear, whatever.

That being said I'm having fun. Lv53, breezing through Cruel with my Ice Crash Marauder. Found this last night.
CukNEoZ.png

I can tell I'll probably need to start buying better res gear soon. I'm expecting to not really be challenged until The Sceptre of God, and want to prepare according in the meantime.

Tempest isn't that great. The tempests don't seem to last long enough for them to make any difference most times, along with the old activation time made it tiresome to even bother with keeping the buffs up. It's getting better that's for sure, with the extra items from tempest areas and even more for deadlier ones, they're turning from a pain in the ass to be around to something that I can avoid and still get a few more items. It is also a lot better then those instant kill off-screen stuff from Nemesis or Beyond mobs slowing down your mobbing to space out portals, it's nice not being punished so hard for making a hardcore character for once and I hope these extra incentives make it into future HC leagues, instead of playing russian roulette with off-screen mob spawns.

Top Bottom