• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

These leagues died out really fast because of the damn economy. My friends list maybe has 1 or 2 people on playing a league this last week compared to the 15+ it usually has lots of times there isnt even anyone one. I only really log on now to do daily missions for fusings. I can't believe that standard league is actually more profitable right now. They really need to look at game mechanics/balance and the economy ASAP.

Rufus

RIP my RF Marauder. Third time I die to a strongbox. Guess I'm not reaching lvl 90 this league. I really liked this build, too. Tanky, great damage (unless it's a curse immune rare), fairly easy to play and even gear for. Only one mandatory, but cheap unique.

Oh well, at least I got to 75 maps... Time to take a break until the 1-month.

RIP my RF Marauder. Third time I die to a strongbox. Guess I'm not reaching lvl 90 this league. I really liked this build, too. Tanky, great damage (unless it's a curse immune rare), fairly easy to play and even gear for. Only one mandatory, but cheap unique.

Oh well, at least I got to 75 maps... Time to take a break until the 1-month.

What type of box? I never open the ones that freeze you anymore. I shouldn't open rogue exile ones either but the temptation is always too great.

Rufus

Yup, a freeze box. My pot setup was a little funky so I didn't have a anti-freeze pot with me. I had no issues with other freeze boxes. RF does damage regardless and I can soak a lot of damage, so I thought, hey, what could go wrong... Tons of elemental damage with chaos degen, as it turns out.
But that's how it goes. I either get bored of a character or I send them to standard through carelessness.

At least the character was essentially done. All that was left to get on the tree was the Scion life wheel and some jewel slots. Only significant improvements beyond that was Doryani's Catalyst and Kaom's Heart, which I had little hope of acquiring anyway, since I've never had the patience to grind for top tier uniques.

Already getting the itch again. Explosive Arrow maybe...

Rufus

They've come to their sense as far as droprates go:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1414202/page/1/#p11591925
An important part of our development process is the review we do after the release of an expansion. Taking community feedback into account, the success of various features and improvements is discussed. This often results in relatively large changes being made (or undone!)

In 2.0.3, some changes to drop rates have been made:

Four unique items have been made more common based on their role as twinking items. These items are Storm Cloud, Wake of Destruction, Brightbeak and Goldrim. The latter two have had the rarity changes made in The Awakening reverted. While these are powerful twinking items, we feel it's a lot more fun when people have easier access to them.

Many Divination Cards have been made more common. While they're still not a trivial shortcut to wealth acquisition, we now have the data we need to raise their drop rates in a safe way. They should be a lot more farmable now.

All rare and super-rare Unique items now drop four times as often as they previously did. Yes, this means that four times as many Mjölners or Shavronne's Wrappings will now drop.

Many of these items are important components of powerful end-game builds. While we like the fact that those builds take massive effort to complete, it was probably too much. Increasing the drop rates in this way means that more players will get to play builds that were previously gated behind trade wealth.

Uniques from old leagues (currently only available through Zana) are the exception to the above change and have not had their drop rates modified. They're meant to be next-to-impossible to get.

We expect to deploy 2.0.3 on Thursday, NZ time. The combination of these changes should contribute to a more rewarding play experience.

Yeah I just saw this today as I've been playing MGS5 lately. I am glad they realized that the drop rates were bad. I'll probably hop in now and finish off some characters since things in the economy should hopefully bounce back. The 4 times are many harder to find uniques it interesting. I've always wondered if they have a set amount of those items that drop per day per continent or whatever.

Edit: I feel like I've heard them say they are increased unique drop rates every couple patches but the game drops still feel the same to me.

Internet has been kinda iffy lately so I haven't risked playing POE. Definitely want to get back as soon as possible to try out the new drop rates. Personally my drop rates have been overall good this league, but I simply haven't found any good/great unique gear/weapons. Lots of nice rares have dropped for me, to the point I could probably get 3-4 different types of characters to merciless without much of a sweat.

Cerity

J9mD242.jpg

The hype, then the disappointment ;_;

Rufus

Mission accomplished for the creator of that unique.

So, Explosive Arrow is pretty fucking strong. Sadly, I killed my EA Scion in a map (ghosted exile). So now I'm definitely taking a break until the 1-month.

Kammie

If anyone here is playing from South America, the Brazil server went up today. It's not gonna be in the menu until the Brazilian client is released, so you'll have to manually type Brazil in the gateway box to connect to it.

I went down from 240 to 65 ping. It's an entirely different game.

KKRT00

If anyone here is playing from South America, the Brazil server went up today. It's not gonna be in the menu until the Brazilian client is released, so you'll have to manually type Brazil in the gateway box to connect to it.

I went down from 240 to 65 ping. It's an entirely different game.

So now You are able to test lockstep properly.

Rufus

Some long overdue changes coming up:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1429674
We've been working on a 2.0.4 patch for deployment late next week, before the One-month events start on the weekend.

This patch includes several changes related to the mapping end-game. We're keen to test them out in the one-month leagues and will gather data and feedback from players.

Map Drops
We've finished analysing map drops and usage from the Warbands and Tempest challenge leagues. Our conclusion was that map drops were slightly lower than we were happy with. We also noticed that many of the higher maps were being run through Zana rather than through actual dropped maps.

The 2.0.4 patch increases the rate of map drops to help with these two issues.

Map Difficulty
We have been examining the difficulty of maps, particularly regarding spikes of physical damage and the damage dealt by Act Four monsters. While we are relatively happy with the difficulty of the highest maps, the early maps suffer from spikes of damage that are too high. The damage dealt in the lowest two-thirds of maps is being reduced slightly. In addition, the damage dealt by Act Four monsters is being reviewed and problematic cases are being fixed in 2.0.4.

Map Symbol Colours
Previously, most maps had a yellow symbol. We've changed this colour to indicate whether maps are low-, medium- or high-tier. These groups specifically line up with the set of mods available to be rolled on the maps. For example, if the map has a red symbol, then the top mods are available. This also makes it easier to spot the relative tiers of maps in your stash.

mapcolours

Map Levels are now Tiers
There are 15 tiers of maps, from level 68 to 82 inclusive. We've struggled for ages with the confusion caused by this. Players expect to play maps of their level (which can be way too hard for them), or make arguments about that they're level 95+ and can't find a level 80 map. Players with backgrounds in contemporary MMORPGs expect to play content equivalent to their level.

In order to resolve this confusion, maps now display a tier rather than a level. The level can easily be calculated. Tier 1 is level 68 (or level 66 if it's an old map graphic).

As a side note, this makes it hard to distinguish between old (pre-Awakening) unique maps and their post-Awakening counterparts. It may be best to put them in different places in your stash.

maptier

Experience in Top Maps
Due to the increased levels of content in The Awakening and the ever-improving skill of our best players, people are reaching level 100 too quickly. Watching the intense challenge as players complete to reach this amazing accomplishment would be more fun for the community if it lasted longer. We want to make this change without affecting the regular levelling process.

There's an additional problem where the difference in experience between the highest tiers of maps is too large. The higher maps definitely need to grant more experience, but when an 82 map grants 35% more experience than a level 81 map, which grants 35% more experience than a level 80 map (and so on), then players really feel the pain of not sustaining the top maps. We wanted to reduce the difference between these upper tiers to more like 15%.

We have made some changes to the calculation of experience in level 77-82 maps. They now have effective experience levels (for the experience penalty calculation only) of 76.9, 77.7, 78.4, 79, 79.5 and 79.9 respectively. This achieves both of the above goals, while leaving all other players unaffected. It takes approximately twice as long to reach 100 from 99 as it did previously, and the difference in experience between the top-tier maps is around 15% per tier, rather than 35%. It's far less important to be running a level 82 map for experience than it was before.

Ground Effects in Maps
There's a lot of work still to do on ground effects. However, in 2.0.4, some changes have been made to how they spawn in maps. These changes have the following consequences:
Ground effects due to map mods now use significantly less server resources. This prevents problems occurring during times of peak player concurrency.
Ground effects due to map mods now use significantly less bandwidth, which will result in much less lockstep stuttering. They will also contribute far less towards being disconnected when coming through portals.

There's definitely more we need to do to improve the performance of ground effects (and much of the rest of the game), but these initial changes will hopefully have a positive impact. We're looking forward to seeing how much they help.

The 2.0.4 patch contains a few other things, such as new Divination Cards and bug fixes, but the bulk of work in this patch has gone towards the above map changes.

As they're in 2.0.4, these changes will apply to Standard/Hardcore and also the one-month events. We will get a solid set of data from these events, which we'll then be able to use to fine-tune the map system for subsequent events and challenge leagues.

We're expecting to post full details of the one-month events tomorrow.

Gothos

Really excited about the 1 month league. This time I say "Fuck HC" and going softcore character - dual wield crit cyclone :)

Zynx

Meh, I wonder how much GGG has really learned after backpedalling from many of the player-unfriendly changes.

We had that shitty rarity tier change for useful leveling uniques and others, which was partially reversed later. Then a fourfold increase in super rare drops.
We had shitty map drops, which they "increased" multiple times by vague, tiny amounts - and now we have a vague, nonspecific boost again.

From what I can tell, warbands/tempest leagues died out faster than they had hoped, even with an entirely new Act - with the shitty map drops, shitty challenges, shitty special drops, the stupid unique tier adjustments, the secret crafting stuff involving people in same guild as a GGG employee along with the sketchy qarl post deletion, and the accompanying game economy effects. I know I stopped playing rather quickly. Supposedly Chris said in an earlier interview that he wanted leagues to last at least 4 months, now they're ending in 3.

Yet they're still focused on a small tiny subset of players "reaching level 100 too quickly". Hello? What about the rest of the players who don't play as religiously as they do?

At least they're pandering to the players with the one-month league, even getting "community input" and throwing together so many league mods at once. I wonder if it's a sign of desperation.

(And I really wonder when GGG will once again introduce something that makes low-life appealing again.)

Yet they're still focused on a small tiny subset of players "reaching level 100 too quickly". Hello? What about the rest of the players who don't play as religiously as they do?

Seriously. I was running the totally broken Flame Totem build and I dropped out at 82. I stalled. Apparently, it's too easy to get to 100. Yep, sure.

I was sick of trying for the warbands challenges, burned out before shifting to tempest. I dunno what it'll take for me to come back on

Rufus

I would love for leveling walls to disappear as well, but it's the one thing they can't make significantly faster, or perhaps don't want to risk. People quit because they can't reach whatever goals they set themselves, but they might also quit when they do. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'd say new content is the best solution to burn out, but even that's not enough for people who've played a couple temp leagues already. Decline is inevitable, really.

I would love for leveling walls to disappear as well, but it's the one thing they can't make significantly faster, or perhaps don't want to risk. People quit because they can't reach whatever goals they set themselves, but they might also quit when they do. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'd say new content is the best solution to burn out, but even that's not enough for people who've played a couple temp leagues already. Decline is inevitable, really.

I haven't played this league in over 3 weeks myself. The new content, while nice, just wasn't properly balanced with the rest of the game and most of the changes hurt the 99% of player that aren't no lifers. I usually last in league for at least 2-3 months but this time I was done in a little over 3 weeks as prices were screwed without the economy properly adjusting. I'll hop on to see if there are any new patches that change things but that's it. The economy reached ridiculous levels I never saw before in only 2 weeks and just made things far more grindy than they should have been. I hope that GGG takes all the feedback and data they received and make some major changes for the next leagues.

The release of 2.0 was just the beta pushed to everyone without any good/balanced changes and properly tested IMO. The leagues should have launched mid-late August but I don't think GGG or investors thought it would be a good idea to delay Act 4 any further.

Chris R

Just got to act 4, it's the last act of the game right?

I will say outside of the ridiculous patching process this game is a ton more fun than Torchlight 2. I like the skill tree stuff as well, but I'm not sure if the core gameplay is more fun for me than what I had with D3 last year on consoles.

Rufus

Act 4 is currently the last one, yes. Then you do it all over in a higher difficulty (items get better as well), then you do it again a third time (or move to endgame/maps halfway through Act 3 at the earliest).

---

Who's doing the 1-month here? I already killed a lvl 51 ranger. Died to a DD box, because I blink arrowed onto a bunch of corpses. orz

Cerity

Not playing hardcore but my first death was in Daresso's Dream in normal. The map boss at the end of the first area alongside an invasion boss (one of the spiders with viper strike) and a warbands pack was insanity. No room to move and subsequent attempts meant teleporting right in the middle of them all.

Ended up just starting a new instance.

Zynx

I'm playing the 1-month, SC - a friend and I wanted to try for the golden set, and GGG hasn't bothered to nerf incinerate yet after the crazy post-shotgun buff. Having decent luck with the challenges, including getting divine shrine and warbands leader done already.

On the other hand, I finally got my first tier 5 (level 72) map after quite a few runs. Of all the maps that have dropped for me, perhaps three quarters are tier 1, crazy stuff.

Rufus

I'm going for the set as well. Lost two days due to my first characters death, but am making good progress now on my two-hand Sweep Templar. Geofri's Baptism honestly feels like you're cheating when you first get it. I got a cheap Marohi as well, which should get me well into maps, but I have a feeling I might never replace it, since the challenges aren't that tough.

Sweep looks pretty absurd with a lot of AoE. Hits almost the entire screen, with my character looking like Star Wars kid in the middle.

As for the league, the currents mods are pretty nuts. I had forgotten how crazy Beyond is.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
The new crafted bow... is just ... impressive.

2BNclgq.jpg

Saprol

first time doing act 4. arenas with frenzied beyond mobs plus that stupid viper strike spider at the daresso's dream boss fight
crazy.gif

used so many portals

Cerity

Man, the weekend is insane. Beyond is already pretty crazy but paired with rampage slowdowns means I'm dying pretty frequently. Strongboxes are pretty much insta beyond unique bosses.

I think the weekend is going to be my time away from this game during this one month lol.

Rufus

I'm actually progressing through merciless right now (yeah, died again) and it's a bit crazy indeed. Someone on Reddit put it as 'everything feels like Beyond' and that's not far from the truth. At least everything that adds monsters is almost guaranteed to spawn Beyond packs. Progressing takes forever, but I've been overlevel since Cruel because I still clear thanks to twink damage.

Zynx

I've got 19 out of 20, but leveling from 80 to 85 is going to be super boring with so many high hp mobs everywhere, and a shitty low tier map pool even though I've started to use alchs on every map I run.

I can't imagine what the game is like on HC though, I've got loads of deaths already playing total scrubcore style. Beyond everywhere is an apt description of the game now. And that doesn't include whatever additional mods piled on top at the time.

One thing I really miss from forgotten masters is theorycrafting and then playing strong builds that aren't immediately obvious to everyone - with all the nerfs to the interesting intersecting mechanics with 2.0 and the lopsided changes to spells, I end up playing the flavor of the month simply because the alternatives are either much more expensive, or much less effective.

I think the changes they've made to health nodes and stuff were completely pointless when they basically increased overall damage taken with the addition of act4(and to a lesser extent act3 part 2). They said they wanted people to take less health nodes so they had more room for other stuff, but realistically nowadays people just take as much as they did before, which severely limits viability of offensive skills since you can only take so many damage nodes without gimping yourself(until you reach critical mass with crazy items so you one shot everything on the screen all the time so your survability becomes less of a factor, specifically for SC).

I think they should probably give up with trying to balance health nodes and just remove all of them, rescale base health so you have the same base for everyone, and use defense nodes to balance tank stuff. This would let you replace skill point defenses by item defenses more efficiently and overall would probably reduce the amount of skill points spent on defense stuff. Might need a rescaling of the amount of skill points as a result though, or mob health whichever.

Having to design builds around the idea that you NEED 150+% health(200% for HC), or equivalent in ES obviously, is pretty bad and leads to fairly cookie cutter skill path choices. It means you only take some specific damage nodes because they're both efficient and on the way to health nodes. It gives some classes advantages due to health nodes accessability and such. It's especially bad with the health wheel in the middle, which is very much a must have for a HC char, so whatever build you're using, you need to make it path through that.

I think it'd be more interesting if you were trying to balance armor, end charge, evasion, acro, block, flask nodes, energy shield, mind over matter to get good defenses with your base health rather than try to scale your base health high enough that you can make use of the other defenses at all. Also evasion probably still need a buff. I'd consider a keystone that does like "Every time you evade, gain 1% damage mitigation buff, stacks up to 70times, removed whenever you take damage". Tweak numbers obviously, but the idea would be that when you do get hit eventually, you mitigate the damage a decent bit, as long as you've been evading stuff a lot before, which would help with evasion based builds.

Cerity

How is everyone liking the one month? I am took a little break from the game and don't know if I want to jump in just yet.

Beyond really slows down the process to the point I've started a character in standard to play while the mod is up. Super high HP and ridiculous damage spikes means it's not really worth playing IMO. It's fun in maps when you want that challenge and extra exp and what not but during leveling it's just tiring.

Going to knock out the last few challenges in the days that beyond is down for that seraph set but that'll be it.

Beyond really slows down the process to the point I've started a character in standard to play while the mod is up. Super high HP and ridiculous damage spikes means it's not really worth playing IMO. It's fun in maps when you want that challenge and extra exp and what not but during leveling it's just tiring.

Going to knock out the last few challenges in the days that beyond is down for that seraph set but that'll be it.

Yeah only reason I'd play is to get seraph set as I didn't get the last set they had before. I just might skip this one as well. Doesn't seem to be to fun. I'll probably just mess around in standard if I do ever hop on.

Made it to 85 in 1MHC, 19/20 haven't got the rampage one, forgot about it. Didn't play at the weekend with all mods, cause I'm a wuss.

Did a wonky slow clearspeed build, but used the default summoner keystone combo of EB, MoM, ZO, makes you very tanky, even with 4k hp. Only scary thing is chaos damage.

Summon skeletons with bloodlust gem + summoner spectres (knitted horrors) + animated guardian with jack, the axe and leer cast. Used Dying Breath coiled staff as my weapon. EE arc with vulnerability + temp chains.

It works but it's a bit clunky, summon skeles is so damn slow to cast + you need a ton of dex to run haste but I managed. Could use spell echo for skeles but I think having another damage gem is a little faster. spent 20c on a jewel with 5% staff cast speed, 7% max life, 7% minion res. One thing about summon skeles though, they absolutely eat bosses. I was able to kill all the beyond bosses with them (didn't spawn Abaxoth though heh). The spectres do pretty good damage + bleed all the time, they're a bitch to get though. Only in dried lake and you cannot use desecrate to get them. They can spawn in underground sea, thats the only map I've seen them in so far.

Rufus

Summoning spectres is so annoying. I wish they'd rework that gem.

The rampage challenge is really easy to get, even in a Cruel zone.

Zynx

MrPing1000, interesting build: are skeletons your primary form of damage? Do you have to summon them in the middle of enemy packs or how does it work?

Cerity

I'm actually having a lot of fun with the 1 month right now, I just hit 80 so I haven't completed all of the challenges yet, I've got hitting 85 and the T8 onslaught one to go. With only a few days to go the tension of dying/losing 10% exp is great and gear is generally pretty cheap now so upgrades are pretty accessible.

Not looking forward to the last beyond rotation but I think I've geared up enough to take them on lower tier maps.

Rufus

If you're lucky Zana will open a Tier 8 map for you. I got that done very early into mapping because of her. Didn't even get to sustain Tier 6 maps because I didn't need to.

I got my 20/20 already. First (and last) time I do challenges. Forcing myself to play was not fun at all.

MrPing1000, interesting build: are skeletons your primary form of damage? Do you have to summon them in the middle of enemy packs or how does it work?

Yeah have to summon them, skeles move super slow, even with haste. They have a slow cast time too, could use spell echo but I tried to get cast speed where I could + dying breath has 18% on it.

I got my 20/20 already. First (and last) time I do challenges. Forcing myself to play was not fun at all.

Yeah, I'm stopping at 15. Got lucky with the Divine shrine. Gonna play the ToS beta and maybe come back by winter. The changes to slow progress down has burnt me out a bit

Cerity

If you're lucky Zana will open a Tier 8 map for you. I got that done very early into mapping because of her. Didn't even get to sustain Tier 6 maps because I didn't need to.

Now and the beginning of the league is the only time I was really enjoying myself TBH. If levelling to 85 wasn't one of the challenges I'd be back in standard right now.

I respecced an old scion char to CoC and was having a lot of fun with that but I think after this 1 month ends I'll stop for a bit. Darkshrine does sound interesting but I'll wait for the next league, I'm not all that stoked on the current balance and meta.

Zynx

80-85 was when the game got really boring for me, especially since I was stuck at tier 5-7 maps even though I alch'd all of them. (Screw wasting multiple chaos on a single map!)

The rest was okay, especially since I decided to challenge myself on how quickly I could rush through the game in a temp league, since I normally play standard. With how OP incinerate is now, along with a prioritization of damage over survival and some strategic partying, I got the challenges done in 45 hours of playtime and lots of deaths.

Definitely not interested in playing this game for a longer period of time now, with all the grindy changes.

The onslaught challenge was bugged or something the first time onslaught was active as a league mod - a lot of players were getting credit for it while killing bosses of lower maps, don't know if it's still the case now though.

Cerity

Oh man, can't believe we actually got a shav's to drop. I was playing with a mate and we went to do my Zana daily which rolled a courtyard map/had to kill corrupted bosses. Didn't think we were going to beat the boss(es) but we tried it out anyway. Killed one of the bosses, heard the big drop sound and it was utter chaos for a few seconds as we went from confusion to realisation.

The drops exist!

Kammie

Oh man, can't believe we actually got a shav's to drop. I was playing with a mate and we went to do my Zana daily which rolled a courtyard map/had to kill corrupted bosses. Didn't think we were going to beat the boss(es) but we tried it out anyway. Killed one of the bosses, heard the big drop sound and it was utter chaos for a few seconds as we went from confusion to realisation.

The drops exist!
Too bad it's not worth much anymore. It's like 9 ex in standard last I looked. On a random weekend I will make 20 exalts just selling jewelry and jewels.

Big drops in this game don't exist anymore.

Top Bottom