• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Cerity

Just hit 85, feels so good, I don't think a game has had my ass clenched so tight for a long while. I ran a white Strand for the last 5% and it happened to have high beyond spawn rates. Both Na'em and Bameth managed to spawn, thank god I swapped out my cast speed jewels for minion damage ones.

GZ. I had one drop too the league before last. Only T1 unique I think I've ever seen.

Still waiting on my Mirror.

Haven't seen a mirror yet either, I just cracked 500 hours on steam, hopefully I'll see one in the next 500 lol.

Too bad it's not worth much anymore. It's like 9 ex in standard last I looked. On a random weekend I will make 20 exalts just selling jewelry and jewels.

Big drops in this game don't exist anymore.

well yeah, at least the price of everything else (bar GG gear) has dropped alongside it. It was weird seeing stuff like drillneck go for <1 ex at the start of the 1 month.

syko de4d

i am always amazed by the content and changes they do with every league and new expansion.
Subclasse will change everything again. Some of the subclass skillpoints are just crazy o_O

Zynx

I'm surprised. GGG went out of their way to nerf powerful interactions in 2.0, but now they're back in full force. Perhaps this cycle is on purpose? I also wonder if the powerful stuff will survive - like all the amazing unique jewels or even jewel affixes in the beta that never made live.

Did finally snag an legacy aegis aurora that I was on the fence on for awhile.

Here's all the revealed ascendency trees so far, with their powerful notables. (You can allocate up to 6 nodes in the ascendency tree.)
https://imgur.com/a/wzWFm

Is there a summonre sublcass for summoners. Would be neat to summon extra minions or buff the ones I already have.
There is! The witch subclass necromancer has some interesting buffs, including 100% spectre damage/life.

Zynx

Some info trickling out about the next leagues:

Some vague notes on balance - mostly buffs to underused stuff, although there are notable nerfs to cyclone and incinerate:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1488901

New skilltree is out, offline planner here:
https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases/tag/2.2.3
Shadow area changed quite a bit, with new Physical/Chaos combined damage nodes, Ranger changed a bit, and Leech clusters buffed/modified, but the other classes look pretty much the same.

Rufus

2.1.0 Patch Notes are out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1489915

Too lazy to break them up into multiple posts, so click through.

My personal favourite:
A short instance-wide cooldown has been added to many monster skills. Monsters with "bursty" skills have had this cooldown applied to reduce player deaths from fast, hard-to-predict damage. This includes skills such as Leap Slam, Flicker Strike, Shield Charge, Lightning Warp and Arctic Breath. Most of the affected skills are appropriate as initiation skills, but are not ideal when many monsters perform them simultaneously.

Took them long enough.

These questions probably gets asked a lot... so I apologise for repetition.

I'm thinking of getting into PoE but there's a few questions I need answered

1) First and most importantly... can my laptop run it? It's a pretty old laptop, so I'm unsure. I'm not bothered about settings, as long as I have a stable frame rate.

The specs
CPU: Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60ghz [4 core]
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Ram: 4GB

2) I'm aware that there's micro-transactions. But how intrusive are they? Are there major benefits to them? Is it "pay 2 win"

3) One of my favourite things to do in Diablo was boss/area runs over and over to farm for specific loot, with perhaps some magic finding gear. The replay value was so great. Is there something similar in PoE? I've been told the game has similarities to the Diablo series which is my main draw to it.

4) Is there player to player trading and if so, is it a big focus among the community? In Diablo 2 I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 my play-time was in the trade-screen, it was so addictive!

KKRT00

1) Framerate wont be stable in heavy action on this machine

2) They are completely optional and not gameplay affecting, except for stash tabs in slight degree

3) Yes for everything You can think of

4) Yes and yes. There are pretty nice tools made by community to enhance trading

Its free, just download it and try it.

Rufus

1) Your GPU might handicap you, but I don't know how well it stacks up to the minimum requirements, which are very modest ("Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon&#8482; X1950 Pro or better", this stuff is ancient).
It's 6.6GB installed, possibly less to download, in case you have to suffer bandwidth caps.

2) The most direct impact the MTX have are the loading hitches you experience when a player decked out in all sorts of bling walks into view.
Joking aside (though the hitches are real): no, it is not pay to win. The only thing you will want to buy more of in time is stash space. You start out with four tabs, which is plenty for a beginner, but a major hassle once you get into trading or just have a lot of good items.

3) You can do boss runs, yes, but the most popular end-game activity is mapping. http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

4) Yes and yes. The official trading functions (in-game trade chat, online forums) are inadequate and both seller and buyer have to actually meet up in-game. The latter can and will be a pain for everyone involved.
There are community tools to make searching and offering easier, the most important being http://poe.trade, which indexes all items on the forum and Acquisition/Procurement, which let you easily (and automatically) create and manage your own shop threads.

I have decided to play the following in hardcore this league.

Crit Dagger Frost Blades COC Blade Vortex + EK, going duelist, getting the knockback nodes + empires grasp unique gloves. Debated between going scion or duelist; Scion gets a bit more life and 45% skill effect duration, Duelist gets a bit more armour and proj damage.

The theory being frost blades will knock shit towards me and BV will kill anything not already dead. Will prob just use a 4L double strike for single target.

Tested it a bit in standard, think it might work, frost blades getting buffed should help, multitstrike+fb should be ok on its own. If you have a 6 link you could even throw in frost wall for extra lols or added fire to buff all 3 skills. I think voll's protector 6l frost blades - multistrike - cast on crit - ek-bv-fw with herald of ice coh proj weakness could be hilarious.

red13th

I'm thinking of playing this new patch, leaning towards Cyclone Duelist. Stopped a long time ago because it kept crashing my old PC, GGG has added so many new things to the game!
Also, having a server here in Brazil is amazing.

Cerity

I'd avoid certain biulds with that machine - stuff like Cast on Crit builds and heavy spellcaster builds. I haven't played with the new AMD crimson drivers but I would get constant drops to 15fps~ with my friend's spark build on my 290x when it got intensive.

Going to run a caster with the new chaos spells for this league and see how it goes.

I'm pretty much done with Diablo 3. I have a few hours in PoE from a couple years ago.

How is the game now? I remember being really intimidated by the skill tree. When playing I couldn't help but feeling "I'm fucking up this character" and wasting time lol.

PoE just seems to get a lot of content on a reasonable timeline. It is definitely piquing my interest.

I'm pretty much done with Diablo 3. I have a few hours in PoE from a couple years ago.

How is the game now? I remember being really intimidated by the skill tree. When playing I couldn't help but feeling "I'm fucking up this character" and wasting time lol.

PoE just seems to get a lot of content on a reasonable timeline. It is definitely piquing my interest.

There's a ton of variety of builds out there. You can start by looking at the Class Forums, where a lot of people share what they've built and (hopefully) how they came up with their ideas.

I'd say: Jump in with a random, get to maybe part way through Act 1, then if you feel like you've messed up, start a new character with at least a sense of the mechanics of the game.

Anyone going to be trying a chaos build this league? I haven't followed much of the announcements and changes for this league as I have been taking a break from the game. I might just make a RF/cyclone build as I haven't ever really played one to get me started as I don't know how well Chaos will scale before endgame.

Zynx

I'm going chaos. I've got a preliminary shadow build which can transition into either spell/chaos (contagion), chaos/projectile (caustic arrow), or shockwave totem (since the starting chaos nodes come with physical) depending on how much I like each one. Mainly depends on how well contagion turns out to work.

Interestingly enough, the only thing I like about the new shadow area is chaos/damage over time. I dislike the revision a lot when considering anything else - bows, cast on crit, etc.

The huge, huge difference between Path of Exile now and in the past is "lockstep" mode - which removes desync (but trades it for a tiny amount of lag, depending on your ping). The skill tree is still pretty complicated - but if you follow a guide, or just path towards life nodes while picking up damage for the skill you're using, it's not too bad.

Can't wait to try the new league when I got home. I like that they're no longer doing two leagues with different dynamics. Focusing on one league makes it more likely to be well thought out/decent.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned/wondering about is the rate of the talisman encounters. I hope you run into multiple talismans per zone to ensure the league doesn't feel standard.

Rufus

The only thing I'm kind of concerned/wondering about is the rate of the talisman encounters. I hope you run into multiple talismans per zone to ensure the league doesn't feel standard.
They said they're aiming for one on average, meaning you'll get zones without any, zones with one or zones with several.

Cerity

Yeah, I've been seeing 1-2 talismans an area.

Synergy between the new chaos spells is super cool, really enjoying the gameplay of them already. Hopefully the damge stays up.

zugzug

dunno watched 5 minutes of nugi streaming I never attained the crazy mana regen those guys get and he was using a new spell with a 1 hander and casting shiled that looked like rain of arrows but wasn't wielding a bow.

i dunno man just was all to easy for him on the map he was on. Mobs died to easily and those chain speed potions to zoom around map.

I like the Talisman league so far. Seems like every hour I get a couple Talismans that make me want to create a new character.

Right now I'm rolling a Storm Call Templar.

guess I need to link poison to my skeletons and zombies now. Running out of open slots though.

Zombies(and skeletons) have already 2 better damage multiplicative gems, minion damage and melee physical. Add Multistrike or Faster Attacks(or both) and you don't have many slots left. Assuming you 6L, you'd have Added Fire as your last slot damage option, which is about the same, although there's more fire resistant mobs than chaos resistan I think. You could also instead go for a defensive gem since if you 6L zombies/skeletons, you probably want them to not die(less important for skeletons).

Poison is really not worth it for summoners in my opinion, there's just too many good damage supports already and poison even fully leveled is still only like 45% more damage over 2secs(+125%poison dmg at lvl 20, base is 10%/s and lasts 2secs). Well less than that, since it doesn't take into account all the damage from generosity hatred and if you use it added fire, which make up for a decent bit of the damage.

Basically it's only good as the 6th support over Added Fire if you want a full damage 6L setup.

Mulgrok

Zombies(and skeletons) have already 2 better damage multiplicative gems, minion damage and melee physical. Add Multistrike or Faster Attacks(or both) and you don't have many slots left. Assuming you 6L, you'd have Added Fire as your last slot damage option, which is about the same, although there's more fire resistant mobs than chaos resistan I think. You could also instead go for a defensive gem since if you 6L zombies/skeletons, you probably want them to not die(less important for skeletons).

Poison is really not worth it for summoners in my opinion, there's just too many good damage supports already and poison even fully leveled is still only like 45% more damage over 2secs(+125%poison dmg at lvl 20, base is 10%/s and lasts 2secs). Well less than that, since it doesn't take into account all the damage from generosity hatred and if you use it added fire, which make up for a decent bit of the damage.

Basically it's only good as the 6th support over Added Fire if you want a full damage 6L setup.

right now I am running 6L spectres with double lightning debuff curses and physical to lightning on my zombies/skeletons. It sucks for groups, but destroys single targets.

I just started this up again since forever. I am really enjoying it now with 30ms ping and no desyncs. Shame I went afk at entrance of crematory earlier today on my Witch and she died ;/

Playing a caster is throwing me off, gameplay wise. Usually I go with heavy armor melee builds, or a tanky summoner. Doing a Storm Call Templar this time, evasion over armor. I still don't "get" that I can't just rush into rooms or chase down Tormented Spirits. Haven't come close to dying yet but it's going to happen unless I remember I'm not playing my marauder lol. I'm getting better but still haha.

The damage is pretty damn good thus far (lv28), especially using Freezing Pulse alongside it. Using a wand right now but the build works with just about anything with elemental damage.

Cerity

Both amused and disappointed to see the nerf to curse quality after ghudda revealed his build. Definite knee jerk if I've ever seen one lol.

Rufus

I don't understand why they don't just put a cap on the amount you can slow mobs down. That would fix this forever, not just until the next new mechanic comes out that let's you stack it to 100% and beyond.

I assume what they did is easier to implement as quickly?

IZEJQ6Y.png

Solaris Merc reward in the hc league.

Thanks lady Dialla.

Anyone else who plays on steam have the same issue I do? Basically whenever there's a patch, usually the small 2mb ones, it'll download it right away, but then take 4-10 minutes "updating" or unpacking or something before I can actually play.

Rufus

Anyone else who plays on steam have the same issue I do? Basically whenever there's a patch, usually the small 2mb ones, it'll download it right away, but then take 4-10 minutes "updating" or unpacking or something before I can actually play.
That's how it works on Steam unfortunately. Look into the folder, see that 7.something GB file called content.ppk? Yeah...

Well I'm having some silly rng this league.

I need a bino's for my build to continue, changed my loot filter last night to show slaughter knives. Chanced a binos in under 20 knives, ridiculous. Then I regal'd crit multi onto a crit/life jewel. Then I found my 2nd exalt this league.

Fingers crossed I don't die in the next few levels, starting to get into maps at 78.

Zynx

Well I'm having some silly rng this league.

I need a bino's for my build to continue, changed my loot filter last night to show slaughter knives. Chanced a binos in under 20 knives, ridiculous. Then I regal'd crit multi onto a crit/life jewel. Then I found my 2nd exalt this league.

Fingers crossed I don't die in the next few levels, starting to get into maps at 78.

Nice. You aren't using a vagan dagger for cast on crit though? Are you using poison in any way?

Nice. You aren't using a vagan dagger for cast on crit though? Are you using poison in any way?

Eh it's more a hybrid coc build, my attack actually does damage. Because frost blades and ek are both projectiles i just stacked proj damage, dagger crit and crit. Herald of ice and hatred buff fb ek and blade fall.

Cerity

Stopped playing my ED scion, I want to get a binos on it before going any further. Going to add poison to my ED to take advantage of all the chaos/DoT nodes I've already taken.

Started a flamblaster instead for MF purposes, lawd this is fun. The damage is insane and flammability on blasphemy makes it even better.

Top Bottom