• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

My insane rng continues, found my first unique gavel and it was Mjolner lol.

85 in hc now. Hopefully make it to 90, char kinda sucka in parties, so reliant on ass mark for charges.

*edit* ugh died at 86, magnus (flameblaster) got me, I killed him too lol, decursed went into to finish him, he recursed flamestrike ,I pot he flames again insta pot empty, dead

The spec works but there's a bunch of issues with that build. Reserving 3 blasphemy curses makes you waste a ring slot and a helm slot and doesn't add enough, plus by having such low mana, you're forced to wait before casting spells which slows down the clear speed a ton. You should be casting spells back to back and moving on. Slower projectile is probably as good as empower, although not sure but you'd need a high level empower for it to be better.

The skill tree is also incredibly inefficient, and has way too little defenses(or well health really), considering it's a lvl 100 tree.

There's a lot of guides for ED builds and a lot use much more efficient builds.

Cerity

tri cursing absolutely isn't worth dropping/not using abyssal cry in that case IMO. AC really does pickup the clear speed, especially in larger packs.

Plus watching an entire screen disappear to the abyss is way too cool to give up.

Ripped 4x now in the past few days in merciless just before hitting 70. ;/ last one was an arc witch and killed myself with reflect I guess? It's starting to take it's toll but the urge to get a character strong to farm endlessly is strong.

Ripped 4x now in the past few days in merciless just before hitting 70. ;/ last one was an arc witch and killed myself with reflect I guess? It's starting to take it's toll but the urge to get a character strong to farm endlessly is strong.

Ha, just play scrubcore like me!
I also am running a n Arc witch right now

Jas

Write Your ingame nick and i'll add You. I dont play recently, buy i have always updated PoE, so i can login fast :)

If you get a chance and if there is room I'd like to be added to the guild, in game nick is Brummy.

Thanks!

Reminding you guys to play PoE

(the guild is so empty)

what are you guys playing instead?

I still play, but not a lot and not for long. Was doing an Arc witch and heard my Flame Totem build is even stronger after the FT nerfs, so I rerolled and a Tabula dropped at 17. I'm not using it because of the sick unique talisman that's +2 with blind and Added Chaos (and I have two of them!)

kenbo

I still play, but not a lot and not for long. Was doing an Arc witch and heard my Flame Totem build is even stronger after the FT nerfs, so I rerolled and a Tabula dropped at 17. I'm not using it because of the sick unique talisman that's +2 with blind and Added Chaos (and I have two of them!)

Damn are you in HC?

Rufus

Played too many squishy characters and got all of them killed too early. I put in enough time to get the boots mtx, but I don't feel the pull to go back for more. I got burnt out really early this time.

As far as the content goes: Essence Drain and Blast Rain are fun skills, and Shrapnel Shot is nice to level with unti then. Bladefall traps are really nice as well. I wanted to try Infernal Blow, but unless I get the itch again soon it's postponed to Ascendacy.
Also, I didn't really care about the Talismans so it felt like a vanilla league to me. Might have contributed to my burning out early.

Also, I didn't really care about the Talismans so it felt like a vanilla league to me. Might have contributed to my burning out early.

You should wait. They didn't put that much effort into this league. There's a game-breaking design issue I'm dealing with:

Like the Masters, the stone circles are leveled based on your global progress, not your current character's level. I can't do Rank 1 talismans because everything that comes out is meant for my level 74 Arc Witch

Zynx

You should wait. They didn't put that much effort into this league. There's a game-breaking design issue I'm dealing with:

Like the Masters, the stone circles are leveled based on your global progress, not your current character's level. I can't do Rank 1 talismans because everything that comes out is meant for my level 74 Arc Witch

What comes out of stone circles depends on the item level of the talismans you put in (press alt while hovering your mouse over one to see the item level). So if you're putting in your higher ilvl talismans you obtained with your arc witch into stone circles while playing your new weaker character, then the monsters will be way too tough to handle. If you only keep a separate pile of talismans for your new character and don't mix in any from your higher level characters, you won't have this issue.

But IMO, there's no point to using talismans in stone circles until you're using them at a high enough ilvl, because the output will be garbage anyways. And even at higher ilvls, chances are, they'll be garbage. I haven't even found a single non-unique talisman that I actually like and would use as an amulet.

What comes out of stone circles depends on the item level of the talismans you put in (press alt while hovering your mouse over one to see the item level).

That makes perfect sense! Okay, new gripe:

Why are ilevels hidden by default? Why spend the time to program it to display with the Alt key when you can just friggin display it? It matters for sockets, it matters for vendor recipes, and it now matters for circles.

Thanks Zynx!

Cerity

Burnt out pretty early because of the same reasons as the other leagues, no endgame content outside of maps. Got 3 chars to 85+, did rigwald a couple times and that was it really.

They really need to add stuff that's new and different instead of just more IMO. Ascendancy seems to be alright for that but I suspect there'll still be a lack in the end.

Rufus

Why are ilevels hidden by default? Why spend the time to program it to display with the Alt key when you can just friggin display it? It matters for sockets, it matters for vendor recipes, and it now matters for circles.
The old answer was confusion. Not wanting to confuse new palyers. I figure this is the new answer as well.

Zynx

Preach! ilevels also matter for crafting with currency orbs too. But it used to be worse. Awhile ago, in order to find out the ilevel of an item, you had to pick up an item by clicking on it so that it moved with your cursor, open up the chat box, and type "/itemlevel" just to see it. That was painful.

Burnt out pretty early because of the same reasons as the other leagues, no endgame content outside of maps. Got 3 chars to 85+, did rigwald a couple times and that was it really.

They really need to add stuff that's new and different instead of just more IMO. Ascendancy seems to be alright for that but I suspect there'll still be a lack in the end.

I agree that new and different content would be helpful instead of just "more", but given their previous attempt at something "different" in the form of PvP was a colossal failure, I wonder what other approaches can be tried? Maps do get pretty boring eventually, perhaps unlinking map layouts with tiers would add some variety? Still, to my ears, 3 chars to 85+ already seems like a lot. Rigwald is pretty underwhelming as a new "final boss" though.

Ascendancy seems like it'll really appeal to people who want to explore new builds, and feel more powerful - the labyrinth stuff doesn't sound like it'll really capture my attention for a long time though, just as you suspect. We'll have to see.

As far as the content goes: Essence Drain and Blast Rain are fun skills, and Shrapnel Shot is nice to level with unti then. Bladefall traps are really nice as well. I wanted to try Infernal Blow, but unless I get the itch again soon it's postponed to Ascendacy.

In terms of strength, my take is that bladefall is probably the best with minimal gear investment. I've got a shadow in talisman SC at 83 with under 4c spent on purchased gear. 2c for a 5L chest, and <=1c each for two daggers with spell damage and crit. Essence drain can be strong but is a huge hassle. With some investment in gear, going chaos damage/poison is quite powerful - the new scaling introduced with the patch really increased its strength. Any kind of build focused on scaling poison can be effective - including voltaxic, consuming dark, etc.

Reminding you guys to play PoE

(the guild is so empty)

what are you guys playing instead?

It feels to me that the GAF guild lost the critical mass necessary to stay vibrant. Even a number of posters in this rather inactive thread aren't even part of the guild anymore.

Starting to think about what to play in ascendency

Currently thinking

Trickster Shadow with Walk the Aether

Lightning Warp - trap - cluster trap - lightning pen - reduced dur - trapCD. Prob go crit. Use sunblast unique belt and maybe Bronn's Lithe as chest. Voidbringer would be cool too but the lack of HP at that point would probably be a problem in HC.

zero mana cost for movement skills so can reserve all mana (prob HOT-Wrath-AA)

Stupid yes, but should be amusing. Could even throw in a few of the new unstable payload unique gem (10% chance to traps to trigger again)

Kammie

After a counter reading 5440 hours... I think I'm done with this game and won't be coming back for the expansion. I honestly don't want to keep devoting that much time to doing the same thing over and over, and want to give other games (skill-based games in particular) a chance. The grind became joyless towards the end (I almost hit my third 100, with the last being done exclusively solo) and I've already sat on enough currency (and spent it) to not really feel any excitement about itemization any longer.

That said, the expansion looks excellent, and anyone who's a casual and league player (standard is truly dead now, it's a ghost of what it was a year ago) should give this a shot. My hopes are that the labyrinth is a viable endgame supplement to mapping, but unless it's a penalty-free zone like pvp is, I don't see it happening.

Game needs some shaking up, so I wish GGG luck.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
After a counter reading 5440 hours... I think I'm done with this game and won't be coming back for the expansion. I honestly don't want to keep devoting that much time to doing the same thing over and over, and want to give other games (skill-based games in particular) a chance. The grind became joyless towards the end (I almost hit my third 100, with the last being done exclusively solo) and I've already sat on enough currency (and spent it) to not really feel any excitement about itemization any longer.

That said, the expansion looks excellent, and anyone who's a casual and league player (standard is truly dead now, it's a ghost of what it was a year ago) should give this a shot. My hopes are that the labyrinth is a viable endgame supplement to mapping, but unless it's a penalty-free zone like pvp is, I don't see it happening.

Game needs some shaking up, so I wish GGG luck.

You can donate to me your account :D

I should be playing in Ascendency, but haven't done the research yet. This go 'round, got 11 challenges, but broke down because I don't like the new mechanic. Having to carry around glyphs to get a higher level glyph to open a portal to a place where I hear howling, but I die way too quickly wasn't fun. I really hope none of this arc makes it into the game in general.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'll still sign in now and then, I'm just not gonna continue to play in any regular way. :p

I read that someone bought Axn's account the other day. My Glyph Mark is priceless if that's true!

Yeah i read that. Mine is too then :D

Blitzhex

Does dual spork totem still exist? It was my fav HC build two years ago, got up to 88 with it back then.
My friend says it's viable right now and you can get quad spork totems?
Any ideas how to build it in Ascendancy? I've been out of the game since early 2014.
Any other equally safe and fun builds for HC?

Does dual spork totem still exist? It was my fav HC build two years ago, got up to 88 with it back then.
My friend says it's viable right now and you can get quad spork totems?
Any ideas how to build it in Ascendancy? I've been out of the game since early 2014.
Any other equally safe and fun builds for HC?

It does, but dual Flame is far better. There's so much more Fire gear out there

Trade improvements: you will now be able to price any item in your premium stash tabs so that they're indexed in almost real time on poe.trade:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595024/page/1

So basically you no longer have to bother setting up Acquisition or Procurement.

API improvements for accurate online/offline status as well.

Long overdue, good changes.

It's about time. Didn't play the end of the league due to SFV and RTTR releases so haven't kept up on any developments. The next step would be to have people buy the items from your tabs while you are still playing/offline. I have lost lots of my patience for trading as it interrupts what time I have to play the game that most the time I just forgo it all together after I get a character up and running.

Rufus

Geez how do you theory craft your own build

Its so complicated
Pick a skill you like, aim for 4k+ HP. For hardcore, add solid defense. Something reliable like armour, phys conversion, something that reliably reduces incoming damage. On softcore, you can gamble with evasion + dodge (aka the Acrobatics keystone), i.e. zero damage reduction.

The rest is just finding out what passives and other stats scale your skill's damage most. The skill description (projectile, AoE, duration, etc.) will tell you most of what you need to know. The more specifically targeted nodes (axe damage vs two-handed physical weapon damage) will generally be worth more, but you might have skills that benefit more from a less specific node, like Essence Drain. The skill description makes it sound like you should concentrate on chaos damage and duration, but projectile damage will increase both the initial hit and the damage of the DoT it applies, so it's best to grab the juiciest proj. dmg nodes you can get.
Most skills are less 'complicated', a small minority (Righteous Fire, Explosive Arrow, a bunch of Unique enabled builds) take more thinking than that due to their mechanics and how they apply damage. Bookmark pathofexile.gamepedia.com for those and to scope out uniques and such, invaluable resource.

A 90 point build will be around lvl 75 or so, including all the side-quest passive points you can get. I aim to have all the traveling done at 85 points spent.
Last but not least, try to be as efficient as possible when you route your path on the tree, but this should be obvious.

That's all there is to it, really. After you've done it a couple of times, every kind of build, wether it be a melee attack or spell based build, crit or non-crit, support, minions, traps, etc. will kind of look the same, because for the most part, they are. They can get so similar in fact, that you could just swap out the skill you're using and still be just as effective.

V_Arnold

After years of playing this game, I still cant fathom people not recommending the same defenses to people in softcore. It feels like they do not ever play in softcore.

Let me tell you something. The enemies hit just as hard. And if you die consistently, you will not finish a hard map, not finish Atziri, etc.

You will need all the defenses the hardcores have. If you go acrobatics, you will need something more as well.

Unless you stop at around lv73-74 maps, which, if you go not so high on defense, you will be forced to do anyway.

Rufus

Notice I said that you can gamble with (arguably) weaker defenses on softcore. I didn't say to stop at evasion (+ acrobatics), though I suppose it could be interpreted that way. I made the distinction only to impress upon him the importance of solid defences on hardcore.

To the general point: you can brute force it to some extent. Without running out of portals.
Look at someone like Mathil (streams on Twitch as Mathil1, Mathilification on Youtube). He plays a lot of builds that I would consider glass cannons. High mobility (Whirling Blades when the build allows it), enough defenses to not die to trash, enough damage to clear fast and burst down bosses. He's done hundreds of Atziri runs, high maps, all of the unique maps (I believe) and even Uber several times. His secret: finish the build at around 90 (so deaths stop mattering for progression), high damage, manually dodge one-shots.

V_Arnold

Notice I said that you can gamble with (arguably) weaker defenses on softcore. I didn't say to stop at evasion (+ acrobatics), though I suppose it could be interpreted that way. I made the distinction only to impress upon him the importance of solid defences on hardcore.

To the general point: you can brute force it to some extent. Without running out of portals.
Look at someone like Mathil (streams on Twitch as Mathil1, Mathilification on Youtube). He plays a lot of builds that I would consider glass cannons. High mobility (Whirling Blades when the build allows it), enough defenses to not die to trash, enough damage to clear fast and burst down bosses. He's done hundreds of Atziri runs, high maps, all of the unique maps (I believe) and even Uber several times. His secret: finish the build at around 90 (so deaths stop mattering for progression), high damage, manually dodge one-shots.

Well, you are partially right indeed, for certain builds this is definitely doable. But for someone who is not rich...well, there is a huge gap between being a glass cannon and being someone who focuses on offense but lacks the math behind it to clear the packs. And that gap is very hard to overcome. : ) Which is why advise to focus on tankiness first, always, until you are rich and you can afford the combos.

Zynx

Less than 48 hours until the new expansion! I'm actually quite excited over some of the new stuff. But getting the ideal enchantment for your build seems to be super RNG reliant.

As for the need for defenses in HC vs SC, the big difference is that even though the cost of death in SC is "high" in terms of the time cost of lost xp at levels 90+, the cost is really low early on in the game. When I play SC, I don't even bother gearing for max resists or anything over 50% increased life on the tree until I hit a3 merciless. On HC, it's an entirely different matter.

Top Bottom