• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2014 Thread: Meet-up details in OP

udiie

Price is a consideration due to the number of nights, but quality is more important. Hearing mixed things about it from the post-pax 2013 hotel thread on their official forums. Keeping it for now, at least.

i have great experiences with the paramount, but i managed to get sheraton this year
avoid renaissance and executive is basically my biggest piece of advice to anyone

riotous

Banned
JUST got 2 Monday tickets.. tried adding 2 Sunday tickets and it didn't let me despite acting like they are available.

Maybe it'll let you do 1 at a time.

edit: Thanks to the GAFers who offered me tickets at reasonable prices, all set now!

I wonder why the scalpers are still so eager. Last year, people selling badges at the door were getting less than face value. Figured the demand had finally evened out.

Seems like Monday passes may still be available, but probably not for much longer.
I wonder why the scalpers are still so eager. Last year, people selling badges at the door were getting less than face value. Figured the demand had finally evened out.
The resellers at the door tend to be people who buy the passes for cheap off of people who are done for the day, and then sell them onwards to someone else. The scalpers who buy them online tend to sell them on Ebay with a very high markup.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The resellers at the door tend to be people who buy the passes for cheap off of people who are done for the day, and then sell them onwards to someone else. The scalpers who buy them online tend to sell them on Ebay with a very high markup.

Indeed. Part of the problem is that in Washington, scalping is quite legal and actually protected in many ways, so Prime has an issue that the other PAXes won't have because of that.

That said, reddit is saying that folks had sniffed out the showclix link minutes before the tweet went out (a redditor had built a live feed to a tool that was basically crawling showclix's site), and that most of the 4 day badges went out before the tweet even went out.

Fuck this has to be record speed.

If any of you have Friday/Saturday passes to spare I will buy you copious amounts of alcohol all weekend.

Cat Party

Got my tickets for Sunday, and a room at the Westin, which I chose entirely because it offered free parking.

Next year I'll probably buy extra tickets to be able to help some GAFers out. Fuck scalpers.

That said, reddit is saying that folks had sniffed out the showclix link minutes before the tweet went out (a redditor had built a live feed to a tool that was basically crawling showclix's site), and that most of the 4 day badges went out before the tweet even went out.
Oh, what the hell? That would (or could) explain why they were gone within the first 1-2 minutes for me.

That's messed up.

Kyou

Indeed. Part of the problem is that in Washington, scalping is quite legal and actually protected in many ways, so Prime has an issue that the other PAXes won't have because of that.

can't wait for the series of condescending tweets about how they don't have a problem again this year

border

Between eBay, Craigslist, StubHub, and LiveNation, scalping is pretty much legal everywhere. I don't think this problem is really particular to Washington state.

Seems like Monday passes may still be available, but probably not for much longer.The resellers at the door tend to be people who buy the passes for cheap off of people who are done for the day, and then sell them onwards to someone else. The scalpers who buy them online tend to sell them on Ebay with a very high markup.

Interesting. I recall a guy at the door, at show's opening, selling that day's passes for $35. Even heard off-hand of a girl who got one for $25 just to rid the dude of it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Also, if any scalpers bought more than 4 badges...they are going to have a very rude surprise waiting for them in a few weeks.

ultron87

Wasn't trying to get Prime tickets, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm never going to get to go to a PAX again, East or otherwise, unless I get spectacularly lucky and/or pay secondary prices.

I got one Monday pass and that's it. This whole thing was really, really stupid, and poorly managed.

And I've never been! I should be able to get some tickets.

I wanted Sunday and Saturday passes! If anyone has any, I'll take them off your hands.

krae_man

Oh, what the hell? That would (or could) explain why they were gone within the first 1-2 minutes for me.

Someone on the PA forums figured out the IP address of the event page before it even had a URL. I'm sure tons of other people figured it out as well.

TheGrue

Got my Fri-Sun single day badges. Could have gotten 4 days and I clicked the link as soon as the tweet went out. This will be my 8th Prime in a row...very excited!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Between eBay, Craigslist, StubHub, and LiveNation, scalping is pretty much legal everywhere. I don't think this problem is really particular to Washington state.

True, true.

It is worse because in this case, steps that one could normally take to at least prevent local scalping is flat out disallowed. :/

That said; if the number of unique IPs is similar to last year, this might just be a flat out demand issue rather than scalping.

_woLf

This thread is nothing compared to last years.

Everyone kinda knew nothing was really going to change this year. Last year we were expecting it to be better than previous years, which it obviously wasn't.

Now everyone has Twitter alerts and stuff set up.

Well that fucking blows. Why would you arrange it to go live around lunchtime? Man, I really wanted to go too. It's been a shit week, and this was going to be my bright spot.

Ugh.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I refreshed until I could buy a Monday pass. sometimes passes pop up out of nowhere. I almost got a sunday pass, but it sold out so fast.

I got up extra early every day for an entire month waiting for the tickets to go in sale sometime in april/early may. The day it goes on sale, I've been sick and sleep through the text alert. Looks like it's ebay again for me this year.

PS: Probably got sick from lack of sleep waiting on these tickets, seriously, why is information on sales for Pax East put up ahead of time, but not Prime?

Takiyah

I had an extra 3day for this year's Pax East - sold it on reddit (for cost), and there were a bunch of other people selling at cost too. Granted, there were a few people trying to scalp the tickets, but overall there seemed to be way more supply than demand. My 2 cents.

Demigod Mac

When is a good timeframe to start shopping on ebay for a badge?
I'm assuming the auctions that go up right now are way overpriced to take advantage of people's desperation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fri, Sat, Sun badges bought along with hotel (Westin for Thurs-Mon, the Pax Hotel thing is a hell of a lot cheaper than any other site...) and flights. Kept it under a grand.

Boom.

My 3rd PAX Prime incoming.

Kyou

Fri, Sat, Sun badges bought along with hotel (Westin for Thurs-Mon, the Pax Hotel thing is a hell of a lot cheaper than any other site...) and flights. Kept it under a grand.

Boom.

My 3rd PAX Prime incoming.

I believe pax 08 was my first.

My girlfriend has been to every single pax prime though ._.;

I had an extra 3day for this year's Pax East - sold it on reddit (for cost), and there were a bunch of other people selling at cost too. Granted, there were a few people trying to scalp the tickets, but overall there seemed to be way more supply than demand. My 2 cents.

I would love to buy from Gaf or Reddit vs Ebay if possible. I usually pay 2x the amount buying them online, which is still totally worth it, but I'd rather give that money to a gaffer if possible. So if someone has a 4 day pass or extra 4 days individual I'd love to talk.

(I'm lucky enough to have a house to crash at in Seattle, so it's still cheaper.)

Slightly unrelated, but after attending PAX for the first time last year, I was a little surprised in the disconnect between the way admission to the venues was handled when there are so many signs warning about the differences between real and fake badges. On one hand you had signs talking about how legitimate passes are completely plastic and not laminated, and to walk into the convention center past one of the 70-year old security guards that half the time never even noticed if my pass was facing the right way or not.

It's good to know they're trying to protect their fans from getting ripped off, but I wonder if that even matters. I bet there are some interesting anecdotes out there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
got individual passes for all four days

It's insane how quick the 4-day passes went though... I went as soon as I got the tweet and yeah... gone. Fucking brutal.

Demigod Mac

I would love to buy from Gaf or Reddit vs Ebay if possible. I usually pay 2x the amount buying them online, which is still totally worth it, but I'd rather give that money to a gaffer if possible. So if someone has a 4 day pass or extra 4 days individual I'd love to talk.

(I'm lucky enough to have a house to crash at in Seattle, so it's still cheaper.)

Likewise, if anyone has a Sunday pass they can sell I'd be down with that. PM if you please, good sirs!

Patryn

So... the site is finally updated as totally sold out.

Time to sell out from initial tweet:

4-day: 5 minutes
Saturday: 35 minutes
Sunday: 39 minutes
Friday: 39 minutes
Monday: 79 minutes

Total sell out in under 80 minutes.

Managed to snag a Friday, Sunday, and Monday badge. Didn't get through the queue in time to grab Saturday, though I got in line less than 5 minutes after the tweet went out. Crazy.

They should stop selling Four-day badges and just sell them all individually. I'm sure some of the Four-day purchasers won't actually go all four days.

Top Bottom