• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2014 Thread: Meet-up details in OP

krae_man

You know you probably could have just started this thread by naming it "PAX Prime 2014 Tickets Now Sold Out" and been accurate.

Actually. I wouldn't mind that thread title chance :p

Or just make it "Official PAX Prime 2014 thread. and I'll update it with hotel info, panel info etc when the time comes.

Friend managed to snag Fri-Sun tickets for me. I was in the queue and was only able to get Friday and Monday tix for a friend. Can't believe they sold out entirely in under an hour. Insanity.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Glad I checked my phone randomly when I did... I was out for a walk over my lunch break and just decided to check my phone randomly and saw the tweet had gone out 3 minutes before I checked. Talk about luck.

Now to save a grand or so to pay off everything before the trip.

vid

That said, reddit is saying that folks had sniffed out the showclix link minutes before the tweet went out (a redditor had built a live feed to a tool that was basically crawling showclix's site), and that most of the 4 day badges went out before the tweet even went out.

I clicked the Showclix link within ten seconds of the announcement tweet, and for a good half minute or so, it simply displayed a "this event isn't live yet" page.

Even if they managed to figure out the event page, the badges wouldn't have been available until just after the tweet went out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, was hoping to finally go this year.

Once my turn in the queue came up only Friday and Monday were left.

Pass on that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This might be me speaking with tickets already, but I'll take sold-out passes over larger crowds any day. I'd rather they keep the convention the same size rather than endless lines taking multiple hours just to see something. What I would do, is stop selling press passes.
Most of the crowds are in panels or the show floor. Free play is basically empty all day.

Last year I paid 250 per set of 4 days, I expect to pay roughly the same this year. Still worth it. Just have to wait a month or so to buy the tickets, as right now all the scalpers are trying to ride the initial hype. They will drop, or maybe someone will sell on reddit/gaf for lower. Just wait, I am.

joe1138

Wow, that was fast. Won't be going two years in a row. PAX used to be my San Diego Comic Con alternative, now it's become nearly impossible to get a badge for either show.

krae_man

Updated the OP with a FAQ, hotel info and stuff. Will update with Panel schedule, Floor plan, GAF Meetup location etc as they get confirmed. Let me know if I'm missing anything or copied over something from last years in error.

Yokai

PAX prime is dead to me. This is the 3rd time I've been screwed out of tickets because I have more important things to do on a weekday afternoon.

On the flip side, Scalpers are only charging...! GOD I'M SO PISSED.

riotous

Banned
Why does PAX get so much grief because demand far outweighs supply?

Are people expecting a larger venue or something?

PAX prime is dead to me. This is the 3rd time I've been screwed out of tickets because I have more important things to do on a weekday afternoon.

On the flip side, Scalpers are only charging...! GOD I'M SO PISSED.

I'm, with you man. I was in the que at 10:30 and all that was left were monday tickets. I'm going to wait two weeks or so then try again on ebay. Thankfully since the listings are closer to the event this year, if we buy in June, we should be able to get our money back if we receive fakes. But I've gone the past two years off of ebay tickets and they've been legit.

It gets so much grief because Prime is the only event where working people or people not constantly tethered to technology get completely screwed on tickets. They just put up sales whenever they feel like it, so people with schedules are out of luck.

Patryn

I just realized that today is Wednesday, further proving my theory that PAX tickets always goes on sale on a Wednesday.

GG-Duo

I'm not worried about badges. There were a lot of scalpers outside the venue last year, and supply was more than the demand.

The only thing is that I'll have to take a risk and go down to Seattle.

FyreWulff

PAX gets grief because it's the only convention that's specifically antagonistic to their base in order for their base to participate in the convention. They prefer a spectacle over actually not treating fans like shit.

Wait to buy tickets once the event gets closer. They will become cheaper. The only thing you'd have to worry about is lodging though.

krae_man

All methods of tickets going on sale have pros and cons. I set a SMS notification to my phone for Official_PAX tweets and that worked.

Tangeroo

PAX gets grief because it's the only convention that's specifically antagonistic to their base in order for their base to participate in the convention. They prefer a spectacle over actually not treating fans like shit.

In what sense are they being purposefully antagonistic for spectacle? You know that the venue has capacity limits and must abide by fire code by law, right?

Firestorm

I like how people are whining that it's "all about the money" when they could easily charge 2x the price to help slow ticket sales and still sell out.
All methods of tickets going on sale have pros and cons. I set a SMS notification to my phone for Official_PAX tweets and that worked.
Same thing I did and worked out for me. Had to enter the queue on my phone as I was on my way to work.

FyreWulff

In what sense are they being purposefully antagonistic for spectacle? You know that the venue has capacity limits and must abide by fire code by law, right?

The way they sell tickets, with limp wristed anti botting tech. The way they still do surprise announcements, when they could tell people a time so they could schedule and get ready. The way they make some big deal about how they actually didn't get botted, when there's reams of proof on the internet of people buying tons of passes and basically making three times their money back.

I'm not talking about ticket amounts or capacity. I'm talking about the fact that when you actually go to PAX, you see some fucker standing there on DAY 1 at OPENING with a giant stack of passes he's selling.

Tangeroo

I'm not talking about ticket amounts or capacity. I'm talking about the fact that when you actually go to PAX, you see some fucker standing there on DAY 1 at OPENING with a giant stack of passes he's selling.

So like literally every popular event in history? Do you have an example of a scalper-proof method of selling event tickets? Also, none of what you mentioned is evidence of the PAX organizers trying to antagonize its fans for spectacle.

riotous

Banned
It gets so much grief because Prime is the only event where working people or people not constantly tethered to technology get completely screwed on tickets. They just put up sales whenever they feel like it, so people with schedules are out of luck.

The way they sell tickets, with limp wristed anti botting tech. The way they still do surprise announcements, when they could tell people a time so they could schedule and get ready. The way they make some big deal about how they actually didn't get botted, when there's reams of proof on the internet of people buying tons of passes and basically making three times their money back.

If they announced well ahead of time it would just be that many more people in the queue, sell out that much faster. I've been unable to get tickets to big events on the very SECOND they went on sale.. Radiohead playing the Key Arena last year comes to mind. All the good seats were gone in moments.. and that's via Ticketmaster, with a lot more money behind their code.

Seems like a pro/con sort of thing.. and really, "proof" that they were botted?

You don't really need a bot to get quite a few tickets.. people who scalp a lot of stuff have their resources. I know someone who owns an entire company that scalps tickets to all kinds of venues, and he has his ways.. I don't find it remotely ethical though. Either way.. not really any event ever that is in demand that doesn't get a huge portion of tickets purchased by scalpers.

Cat Party

The only thing they can do to curb scalping is to charge more for the passes. As it is, there's too much easy money in it, because the passes are a bargain.

Jamie OD

That solution would make it even more difficult to get a pass. You would probably get twice or even three times the amount of people logging on at the same time. Same with the suggestion I read every year where they could spread the sale of passes over several days. You'll just get a repeat of today's disappointment happening over and over and over.

krae_man

I like how people are whining that it's "all about the money" when they could easily charge 2x the price to help slow ticket sales and still sell out.Same thing I did and worked out for me. Had to enter the queue on my phone as I was on my way to work.

Glad you're making it out again.

So like literally every popular event in history? Do you have an example of a scalper-proof method of selling event tickets? Also, none of what you mentioned is evidence of the PAX organizers trying to antagonize its fans for spectacle.

Some events are credit card scan entry only. Meaning you can't sell your tickets to someone else unless you give them your credit card to swipe as well.

Tangeroo

Some events are credit card scan entry only. Meaning you can't sell your tickets to someone else unless you give them your credit card to swipe as well.

Do you have an example of an event with 70k+ people going to it that sells tickets this way?

The more obvious thing they could do is tie each ticket to a name.

Let's say they do this. How would that slow down scalping unless you had to show your ID upon entry? Again, we're talking about a 70k+ person event with lots of kids.

riotous

Banned
The more obvious thing they could do is tie each ticket to a name.

That would be a nightmare at the venue.. there are numerous entrances, and there are already large "lines" that form just to get through the checkpoint bottlenecks. If they did some sort of will call it would be an incredibly large clusterfuck.

The other obvious thing is for people to just understand that tickets sell out.. and that scalping is a big reality of going to any and all events these days. Why people single out PAX is beyond me, but perhaps people are inexperienced with ticket buying in general?

I like how people are whining that it's "all about the money" when they could easily charge 2x the price to help slow ticket sales and still sell out.Same thing I did and worked out for me. Had to enter the queue on my phone as I was on my way to work.
Dumb question, but how do I set a text alert for tweets in the future? I'm using the stock Twitter app on Android.

The few instructions I could find when I looked a couple weeks ago referenced options i couldn't find, as they were outdated.

krae_man

They actually offered one 4 day pass to Club PA members this time around. Which is fine I guess. Now they're going to get a ton of Club PA subscriptions in hopes of a repeat and they'll be damned if they do, damned if they don't next year.

In the end they said "We are not going to tell you when, here's what you need to pay attention to" and people that did got tickets.

Still the seemingly total lack of bot prevention is strange.

When can international buyers pick up their tickets? A few days before?

I guess they could've added Captcha the way Ticketmaster does, but does that really stop scalpers?

Nyoro SF

I think they should curtail how many passes a single person can buy to at least 3. Give more individuals a bigger window and reduce mass scalping.

Too much leeway given to probable friends.

krae_man

When can international buyers pick up their tickets? A few days before?

I guess they could've added Captcha the way Ticketmaster does, but does that really stop scalpers?

Anything is better then not even trying.

As for pick up times, they usually get announced later but international people should probably spring for the shipping option.

Absinthe

Do you have an example of an event with 70k+ people going to it that sells tickets this way?

Let's say they do this. How would that slow down scalping unless you had to show your ID upon entry? Again, we're talking about a 70k+ person event with lots of kids.

Why not limit the amount of tickets per address/person? Lets say a total of 2 per day basically stopping a number of scalpers from ordering 4+ per day and selling later.

I think they should curtail how many passes a single person can buy to at least 3. Give more individuals a bigger window and reduce mass scalping.

Too much leeway given to probable friends.

Exactly

Top Bottom