• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: Where on the spectrum are you?

Which of these best describes your current approach when buying a new GPU?

• Total voters

Soodanim

I mean the price-performance spectrum, but of course I don't need to tell intelligent people like yourselves that.

With the nVidia 50 series chatter getting louder by the day, I'm curious about how where you look when you're in the market for something to plug a HDMI/DP cable into.

Where do you aim, and why? Have you stayed consistent or have you changed over the years? Will you change your approach with your next GPU?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Where am I on the spectrum?

Money GIF

REMAINSILLY

I usually stay a generation behind, I guess? I use a Ryzen 5 5600X, 64GB of RAM, and a 4070 Super. I haven't jumped on the new chipsets with DDR5 RAM yet. Everything still works great at 1440p for me.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Aw man I thought this was gonna be an awesome thread until I re-read the title and saw “PC”.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
How about money is no object but I don't like to buy something just for the sake of it, or because it's the new thing.

Went from a 2070 to a 4090, and now I will probably upgrade when the 6000 series is released. Or even 7000 if the 4090 is holding well.

Kacho

Gold Member
I upgrade once every 5-6 years. I don't spend a fortune, but I also don't want to cheap out since I'll be using the thing for so long. They pay for themselves over time.

Holammer

I never buy the budget variety, but I don't replace them every or bi-yearly like some people do.
Still have my 1080, it's long in the tooth now and I plan to finally replace it with a 5080.

... man it's going to be awesome to finally get DLSS and actual CUDA cores.

amigastar

I never buy the budget variety, but I don't replace them every or bi-yearly like some people do.
Still have my 1080, it's long in the tooth now and I plan to finally replace it with a 5080.

... man it's going to be awesome to finally get DLSS and actual CUDA cores.
Dude upgrade from a 1080 to 5080 will be a revelation to you, lol.
Anyways I'm on the balance between price and performance but leaning more slightly to the Performance part.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Ryzen 5 5600x / 32gb DDR4 / RX 6600. I can play any game i want, and maybe 75% of my library at 1440p >60fps. But if it's a UE5 game then i'm on the struggle bus. I only buy a GPU when my previous one fails, and even then my budget for a new gpu is around $200. Spending over $1k for gpu is ridiculous in my opinion. I bought cars for that much.

Skifi28

I'd say the mid-spectrum as I've always had a x60 GPU I'd pay 200-300 for. Unfortunately, the recent 4060 series has been dreadful and I had to shell out for the real 4060, the 4070, which costed me 650 euros. I had never paid so much for a GPU before, especially for a "mid" one.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Been a console gamer since I was 9 and owned pretty much every console in existence since then. I’m 47 now.

Last year I decided to add a gaming PC to my setup, a RTX4090 i9 and a Steam Deck for when I’m on the move. Barely touched my consoles since. I love Steam and have gone back to older games such as RDR2 to enjoy them all over again in the very highest fidelity possible. With 99% of games I literally set all settings to 4k and ultra and off I go!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
High but not that high, I currently rock a 4070 Ti, and in past gens I have gone anywhere in the X060-X080 range. I game at 1440p mostly and my set up generally runs everything maxed at 80+ fps without much compromise (maybe some DLSS magic).

I try to keep myself to two upgrades per console cycle since I find PC game requirements are still pretty pegged to consoles.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I usually buy a new high end PC every two or three years or so, but I buy a new top GPU every time a new gen arrives.

Last edited:

rm082e

I typically upgrade CPU/MOBO/RAM every 4 years or so and hand down my older parts to family members. I used the K series i7 chips in the old days, now moved over to Ryzen 7. I have consistently run whatever the current 80 series card is from Nvidia since the GTX 680 4GB, but skipped the 2000 and 4000 series generations (so still on a 3080 right now). I play on a 32" 165hz QHD monitor.

My backlog is crazy out of control and there's nothing on the horizon that will push me to upgrade for a while. I need to play through the games I already have that run great before I can justify spending more money on hardware.

DAHGAMING

Price and performance, main build is jist a 3060 ti, but mainly play games a gen behind so its doing me good. I do have a 4080 laptop recently and a rog ally x instead of a new build, will do that in a couple of yrs.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My computer right now is pretty much trash, but I'm going to be building a new one that's high-end. I wouldn't say cost is no object, because I literally just don't care about having specs that aren't going to benefit me in any meaningful way, but I will spend a lot more than most on, for example, a really good case with great build quality. That's the kind of shit that matters to me with this. Whatever I do with the PC, it's less expensive than the sound setup I've got attached to it anyway. Gotta have priorities.

Vick

Gold Member
Used to always blast the best when Consoles were outputting 720p sub-30fps and Nvidia PhysX was making those games, already infinitely better in terms of IQ and framerate, literal generations above thanks to its exclusive features. Still used consoles because I liked those exclusives and those resolutions somehow still managed to look good on the Kuro and Panasonic plasmas, during PS4 era I still played on PC but almost all my favorite games were exclusive to PS4 and most of my favorite multi I wanted to own physically, most of the time Collector's Editions, and that's also the gen I stopped caring for the Gears of War series and literally not one single game from Microsoft interested me enough to feel compelled to upgrade, during the PS5 era discovered I could no longer play at 30fps on the Panasonic simply because how insanely good amazing looking games felt at 60fps compared to my LCD monitors, basically fully stopped upgrading once the Home-Theatre was fully ultimated and had no place for a PC.
Still use my PC for all of my emulation and most of the retrogaming especially gifts from Heaven like RE4 HD Project and Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition and some Nude mods, and I'm sure I will finally build one completely new PC once those path tracing games will be fully playable at rock solid 60fps at native 4K/DLSS Quality.. even just for my first Cyberpunk run.

For now I don't feel the need, don't really have a proper private PC gaming space either at the moment and spend all of my hobby-related money on audio/video equipment and high end statues and collectibles.. with what I've spent the last two months alone I could have purchased a whole render farm of 4090s.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

I'd say the mid-spectrum as I've always had a x60 GPU I'd pay 200-300 for. Unfortunately, the recent 4060 series has been dreadful and I had to shell out for the real 4060, the 4070, which costed me 650 euros. I had never paid so much for a GPU before, especially for a "mid" one.
The power consumption on these things puts me off. They really need to get that down.

Merkades

I had never bought a top end gpu 'til the 4090, since the performance difference was ~10-15% for a pretty large price increase. I consider the 4090 worth it, so in the future, should the circumstances be similar, then that is what I will do. That said, I am hoping to not upgrade until the 7000 series, or at least the 6000 because it is a lot of money.

UnrealEck

I have a 4090 but I'm losing my job soon so.....well I won't be needing an upgrade anyway.
But if I had to buy right now it'd be somewhere mid-high end. I'd likely be waiting for something between 5070 and 5080 (if I didn't have the 4090)

Crayon

I'm going to call it on the budget side. These days, seems like that's like anything under $400...

My main thing it to refer to the console baseline to plan upgrades. That makes a no-mans land that's around equal performance to the console. I can go less than that, and let the console handle the heavier games, or enough above that to be an appreciable upgrade from the console. Like right now, my gpu was a good deal, and is faster enough than a ps5 to do a good job on the games that are struggling on console. This last upgrade was just a few months ago and I didn't spend a penny more than I had to to get there. So idk if $350 is "budget", but I've got a budget mentality about it.

I was saying in another thread that I was getting pretty tempted on the ps5 pro, but considering I've already got my bases covered in a sensible way, I don't want to go buying things just to have them when the reality is I am perfectly happy with my current setup.

Edit: Changing my vote to balanced. If I could only spend half this much, I could still figure something out and that would be properly "budget". Not so long ago, I was straight up poor. Me and my wife were happy with the little we had, though. Luckily we had family to fall back on for the whole lights and roof thing. The newly-released ps4 was almost completely out of the question, though. Our ps3 died and we just pulled the ps2 out of the closet and kept rockin with that until a friend heard and gave us their ps3.

We both need games (NEED) and at some point I decided we were just going to get more out of our money if I whipped up a pc. It had been quite a while since I did any appreciable amount of gaming on pc at that point. I pulled an old work tower out of an electronics recycling bin (yes, that poor) and slapped in a 750ti for $100. We played till our heart's content on that thing for years. I'd like to think I could do the same again if our fortunes turned for the worse and be as happy as we were with our ps2 and dumpster pc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom