• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: Where on the spectrum are you?

Which of these best describes your current approach when buying a new GPU?

• Total voters

TrebleShot

Rocking a 4090 with 7800X3D 32GB DDR5
Will I upgrade to the 5090? depends what it does, I never use frame gen and try and run most games native/DLAA or DLDSR so I'm not sure what else they will shove in, If I had to guess some sort of real time remaster engine and that doesn't really interest me.

I also hear the 5080 will be less powerful than the 4090 so I think they will be offering something AI as the USP, so well see, I am not planning on going near the 5090.

In terms of CPU I could be tempted by a 9800x3D IF it has a significant effect on FPS @ 4k.

I could add another 32GB of RAM but im not sure it will have any effect, someone may enlighten me.

Lastly I think my next big upgrade will be a 5K OLED UW monitor when they come out end of the year. But honestly pretty happy with my LG C2.

usually always go for the mid range. Had a AMD FX 8350 chip for yeeeears until the Ryzen 3600 came out. Also just mostly used mid range cards, 480 8gb etc Had that up until a few years ago. Cant remember before that. But always middle of the road specs and upgrade in 4-5 years.

Even played through cyberpunk with a 3600 and a 480 8gb card.

Currently running a 5600g (did not have a gpu for a while) with a 7800xt (bought open box for cheaper. Also high end card but still resonable, wont have to upgrade for years). works flawlessly at 1080p-1440p 60fps with no rt.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Mostly straight, but I did have a wet dream about Ryan Reynolds once and I'm ok with it.

Jokes (not really) aside, Money is no object for me, but I'm also not retarded. I don't mind spending more if it makes a tangible difference eg PS4/5 Pro, RTX 4090. I did, for example, skip the 3090 that offered very little over the 3080". In all fairness, I might skip the 5090 because I don't think I need the extra power, but we'll see what Nvidia comes up with.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

7800X3D, 32Gigs ram and 4070Ti here, would have preferred to have a 4080 but the prices at the time were insane(1400euro for 4080).

The 4070Ti is a great card for gaming @ 3440x1440 on a gsync monitor, its only hampered by the measly 12Gig VRAM.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I usually stick with the **70 series cards -- but I may splurge on the 5080 to replace my 3070. Will have to see price points. I aint spending a grand on a GPU

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
4090 and a 5950x here... CPU is slated to turn into a current gen X3D of some sort in the next couple of months. I don't have much reason to update the video card anytime soon.

The GPU gets an upgrade every 2-3 gens (xx80 level usually) and the CPU/RAM when I actually start to run into limitations.1440p@60 with all the bells and whistles is my baseline currently.
So mid-high I guess?

Last edited:

Drake

Money is no object I just haven't felt the need to upgrade. My 2070 super is still delivering what I need from it. I only aim for 60fps at 1080p though. I'm a simple man.

SHA

Consoles and laptop, my laptop is doing fine until desktops proven the best choice. Cause unfortunately pc is measured by age, not performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom