• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Saw it on Reddit, and yeah: This dude probably lost his money and isn't getting a controller. Same with the others. But hopefully this company sinks and no one does business with this twitter dude ever again.

Hoarr

Neo Member
I thought this would hurt their brand, but this news isn't even staying exclusively in the gaming community anymore. It's #1 on reddit right now. They're probably going to sell tons of these to people who don't know better now.

Isn't the controller designed specifically for people with special needs? As far as PR goes, you could argue that this exposure through Penny Arcade is a good thing since today is the first time I've ever heard of the product, but it fits such a specific demographic that I don't necessarily think it's going to "sell tons" from this.

Fun read -- looking forward to seeing how this plays out throughout the day.

Zomba13

Isn't the controller designed specifically for people with special needs? As far as PR goes, you could argue that this exposure through Penny Arcade is a good thing since today is the first time I've ever heard of the product, but it fits such a specific demographic that I don't necessarily think it's going to "sell tons" from this.

Nah, designed for dudebros to be better at CoD. It's a happy accident that it can help handicapped people game.

Darryl

Banned

I can see how it would be used for disabilities now. I don't see it advertised as such, though. It looks like a product made for people looking to get ahead in CoD, a demographic that I doubt cares about any of this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
As I posted in the thread gaming-side, everyone comes off poorly in this exchange. Dave (WITH A V!) comes across as a petulant manchild, the PR rep is just terrible, and the Penny Arcade dude appeals to his own authority. It's a clusterfuck of stupid.

You can't really call it an "appeal to authority" because he's not trying to convince someone of a point by pointing out that an authority figure holds his view. What he's doing is using his position of prominence in the industry (and let's face it, he IS important) to punish this overeager PR fuck. Good on him. That PR dude deserves everything that's coming to him.

How...how...how do you get anywhere near actually producing a finished product and be that inept at dealing with customers?

This guy probably had nothing to do with actually creating the controller. As mentioned already is this guy the head of the company too? If hes just the PR dude then hes basically kissing his job good bye.

Probably all of the above ;)

Ha, probably.

Costumer support seems pretty easy, be clear and talk politely to people ...

:/

It really blows my mind sometimes how this can even happen in this day and age. Sometimes you have to just bite the bullet and understand that your customers can be the biggest assholes on the planet, but you just move on because whether that customer is an asshole or not is irrelevant, they are still a customer. There are polite ways to tell people to fuck off that don't deface your company and/or brand.

This guy sounds like a typical douche and I hope he does go down in a blaze.

Zomba13

That's very sad. Even if your costumers are not polite, you should never treat them like that.

Yup. No matter how horrible your customers are always be respectful and polite. In person and over the phone it can be very hard but via email it's easy because you have the time to read over what you've typed and make it nicer if it was mean.
I have no clue how this guy is the president of a marketing company.

I dont know what the fuck this controller is, but this line from Gabe has to be fucking amazing:
I got an incredible email today from a Penny Arcade reader. Dave shared with me an email chain between him and Ocean Marketing (the folks behind the Avenger controller) Trust me when I tell you that this is one wild ride. I’m serious, Mr. Toad would look at this ride and just give a slow clap while shaking his head. I have tried to arrange this as best I can in chronological order. I’ve also removed email addresses and other private information. So let’s just jump right in, here is Dave’s first mail to Ocean Marketing:

And I want a gif of that right now.

You can't really call it an "appeal to authority" because he's not trying to convince someone of a point by pointing out that an authority figure holds his view. What he's doing is using his position of prominence in the industry (and let's face it, he IS important) to punish this overeager PR fuck. Good on him. That PR dude deserves everything that's coming to him.
I'd be pissed if some meathead was using my name to shout down customers before his product even ships.

Why ? it's basic knowledge to not getting arrogant to customer when you had troubles..there are so many sentences that could have been used to calm the situation.
Does this guy doesn't know that the best way to handle this is to appologize for the delay , tell the truth ( bad or not ) and brace for impact ? ( that's always better than turn people off , especially in this age where information spread so quickly )

WarMacheen

Well, fuck this dude. Now I'm really not buying this ugly ass controller, that I wasn't buying anyway. I wish I could not buy it harder.

Ezalc

The meme train sure comes fast:
gZruI.jpg

That whole exchange was extremely unprofessional. I know GAF usually condemns people calling for somebody to get fired, but this guy is a giant asshole and he seriously needs to be let go.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm constantly surprised by this. Even in my workplace, adults just cannot spell or write. I can't tell if it is disregard for the communication form or the person receiving it, but I can't stand silly spelling mistakes, easy grammatical errors, and the like.

Jintor

I dropped a line to N-control, the dudes behind the Avenger controller. Hopefully Ocean Marketting doesn't control the press line on their site; I didn't see their name mentioned anywhere, but you never know. In any case, the controversy is currently 4th on the Google for "Avenger Controller", so... yeah. Good job, Ocean Marketting.

PS There's a "100% money back guarantee" on their website.

I'm constantly surprised by this. Even in my workplace, adults just cannot spell or write. I can't tell if it is disregard for the communication form or the person receiving it, but I can't stand silly spelling mistakes, easy grammatical errors, and the like.

y your so madd bro?

h3ro

I dropped a line to N-control, the dudes behind the Avenger controller. Hopefully Ocean Marketting doesn't control the press line on their site; I didn't see their name mentioned anywhere, but you never know. In any case, the controversy is currently 4th on the Google for "Avenger Controller", so... yeah. Good job, Ocean Marketting.

PS There's a "100% money back guarantee" on their website.
Let us know how that goes!

LiK

Ditto

money buys a lot and connections go even further. He’s a native Bostonian from Little Italy . Who are you again ?

I’m born and raised in Boston I know the people who run the city inside and out watch the way you talk to people you never know who they know it’s a small industry and everyone knows everyone.

he’s a customer unless you’re his boyfriend then you should side with the company not the customer. Be Careful

This guy deserves it all.

DROWN IN SHIT

Holy fuck, read all the PA emails.
This guy is a fucking prick.

Lol when he says
"I love penny aracade!"

I thought he was saying it sarcastically and he was going to finsh with "me to poop on" or someshit like that, but his response was only that and it suprised me even more.

Top Bottom