• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that every one.

I'm BACK !!!!

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT !!!!

WOW WHAT AN EPISODE, !!!

Bear and speaking Dutch, FANTASTIC.
The guy figures out who John is and makes all the connections execpt the machine part, A FRICKING MAZING :D
Harald and the plan with the machine to fight back. AMAZING.

no root = -1

Other then that FANTASTIC.

Sober

Saw this on twitter

B1XIwNtCQAA3rTp.jpg:large

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The way this show ups the ante each season was always great, but it's been even more amazing this season.

Saw this on twitter

B1XIwNtCQAA3rTp.jpg:large
Bear makes me so happy, whenever he's not eating or bothered about something in an episode my heart clenches because I think they're planning on taking him out of the show. If they ever kill this dog I'll cry like a motherfucker.

Quick question, why did the machine stop to talking to John last season?

My interpretation is that it is still speaking to John and co. through the numbers. Like Harold said at some point, that's the mode of communication they asked for from the Machine; it's their choice. Root wanted direct communication to help the Machine achieve its goals effectively; she's a surrogate for the Machine rather than someone the Machine is helping. In the case of "God Mode", the only way to secure Harold's safety and thwart Decima was to communicate directly with John through speech.

Patryn

My interpretation is that it is still speaking to John and co. through the numbers. Like Harold said at some point, that's the mode of communication they asked for from the Machine; it's their choice. Root wanted direct communication to help the Machine achieve its goals effectively; she's a surrogate for the Machine rather than someone the Machine is helping. In the case of "God Mode", the only way to secure Harold's safety and thwart Decima was to communicate directly with John through speech.

You can't forget that in "God Mode" John was in, well God Mode so he had much greater access to the system for that hour than pretty much anybody else, and the system didn't really have much choice about how to communicate with him.

But yeah, after that hour it's kind of up to the machine.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Think last weeks POI (the fake detective) was on last nights The Walking Dead. Interesting role.

Sarye

Bear makes me so happy, whenever he's not eating or bothered about something in an episode my heart clenches because I think they're planning on taking him out of the show. If they ever kill this dog I'll cry like a motherfucker.

Don't worry. In an interview with the writers, they mentioned that the only character safe from death is Bear.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Don't worry. In an interview with the writers, they mentioned that the only character safe from death is Bear.
This is a great relief, thanks.

This can be dangerous too. Fate worth than death, etc.
Never!

Final shot of the show will be God Mode Bear carrying on with their mission after the Machine learns to communicate with him through barks in his ear.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Never!

Final shot of the show will be God Mode Bear carrying on with their mission after the Machine learns to communicate with him through barks in his ear.

Probably easier than we think. Dog Mode.

Baskcm

Never!

Machine : können Sie mich hören

Bear : woof

Holy shit, what an episode.
When I saw the preview I was rolling my eyes, but Walter was actually very funny and reasonable. I cracked up every time he lampshaded John's character ("How you do the thing with your voice", "you're some kind of super hero"). The tie ins with the bigger plots were amazing too. Finch coldblooded creating assets, Elias and Dominic hissing at each other, Greer and Samaritan preparing for something.

Also John's face of pain when he declared Walter a hero.

The show managed as well to show me more of my hidden racism. When I saw the armorer I instantly assumed that he works for Dominic because of his skincolor. Feels bad.

That isn't racist. Everyone who is black on the show is a gang member who works for Dominic. It's annoying.

BBboy20

That isn't racist. Everyone who is black on the show is a gang member who works for Dominic. It's annoying.
I spotted one white member. I figure he comes from a segregated-based neighborhood though I would expect, the more powerful he becomes, the more attractive he'll become from criminals across the 5 Burroughs who want to be lead to the milk and honey.

This feels like a good week for a break, anyways. Could use a genuine breather before we run straight into the mid-season finale. I thought last week's episode was supposed to be a breather episode (hey, the cute meta humor even worked for me this time, the POI was a genuinely likeable character) but the last half got wicked intense. I was a little iffy on the Brotherhood storyline so far but Dominic looks to be a compelling foil for Elias (and of course Elias continues to be one of the best things about the show regardless) and that scene between the two of them sent chills up my spine. So good.

Finch my man. I wonder if he's already had his meeting with the machine.

Yeah, the last scene of 4x05 got me super hyped. I was wondering what they were going to do with that but I'm guessing he already had the meeting. And I love the way they set it up this episode, that plot twist got me good. The show is on a whole new level this season with its cinematography and camera work, and that closing shot of Finch was cold. as. fuck. Finch is back in the game and playing to win. Goddamn.

Phlebas

Banned
ThinThread is the name of a former NSA program that sounds quite similar to the Machine:
ThinThread would correlate data from financial transactions, travel records, Web searches, G.P.S. equipment, and any other “attributes” that an analyst might find useful in pinpointing “the bad guys.”

By 2000, Binney, using fibre optics, had set up a computer network that could chart relationships among people in real time… . ThinThread processed information as it was collected—discarding useless information on the spot and avoiding the overload problem that plagued centralized systems. Binney says, “The beauty of it is that it was open-ended, so it could keep expanding

Pilot tests of ThinThread proved almost too successful, according to a former intelligence expert who analyzed it. “It was nearly perfect,” the official says. “But it processed such a large amount of data that it picked up more Americans than the other systems.”

Though ThinThread was intended to intercept foreign communications, it continued documenting signals when a trail crossed into the U.S. This was a big problem: federal law forbade the monitoring of domestic communications without a court warrant. And a warrant couldn’t be issued without probable cause and a known suspect.

In order to comply with the law, Binney installed privacy controls and added an “anonymizing feature,” so that all American communications would be encrypted until a warrant was issued. The system would indicate when a pattern looked suspicious enough to justify a warrant.

Article: http://www.newyorker.com/books/double-take/takes-the-n-s-a-s-surveillance-programs

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
ThinThread is the name of a former NSA program that sounds quite similar to the Machine:
ThinThread would correlate data from financial transactions, travel records, Web searches, G.P.S. equipment, and any other “attributes” that an analyst might find useful in pinpointing “the bad guys.”

By 2000, Binney, using fibre optics, had set up a computer network that could chart relationships among people in real time… . ThinThread processed information as it was collected—discarding useless information on the spot and avoiding the overload problem that plagued centralized systems. Binney says, “The beauty of it is that it was open-ended, so it could keep expanding

Pilot tests of ThinThread proved almost too successful, according to a former intelligence expert who analyzed it. “It was nearly perfect,” the official says. “But it processed such a large amount of data that it picked up more Americans than the other systems.”

Though ThinThread was intended to intercept foreign communications, it continued documenting signals when a trail crossed into the U.S. This was a big problem: federal law forbade the monitoring of domestic communications without a court warrant. And a warrant couldn’t be issued without probable cause and a known suspect.

In order to comply with the law, Binney installed privacy controls and added an “anonymizing feature,” so that all American communications would be encrypted until a warrant was issued. The system would indicate when a pattern looked suspicious enough to justify a warrant.

Article: http://www.newyorker.com/books/double-take/takes-the-n-s-a-s-surveillance-programs

This was before 9/11, after the towers fell, president Bush asked the NSA director at the time, General Michael Hayden, what was needed to ensure that the country was never attacked in such a way again. ThinThread was retaken, however the privacy protections were taken off.

If you guys want to watch more of it, with all the bureaucracy included this is an awesome documentary on it: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365245528/

The break left me itching for POI so I rewatched the last couple episodes. Holy shit, how did I not notice those Friendczar references in Pretenders. Haha, amazing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Kind of grateful for the week break since I had some time to catch up :p looking forward to more Elias vs Dominic action. I liked Walter, and Finch was awesome in the most recent one.

Verger

Banned
I really wish they'd bring back Julian Sands' character Alistair Wesley. He was only in one Episode but he was such a commanding presence and force to be reckoned with.

Besides, being an MI6 operative one would think he'd be familiar with Greer who himself was former MI6.

Sober

New episode tonight, finally!

"Honor Among Thieves"

Shaw joins a team of international thieves in order to keep tabs on the latest POI, but an unexpected turn of events puts her in danger of being detected by Samaritan. Also, Finch and Root undertake a dangerous sabotage mission.

I feel like some of the stuff Shahi and PoI writers have been tweeting out is pretty spoilery for tonight -_-

Guess I'll just stop checking Twitter til after PoI on Tuesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom