• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Well. Didn't expect to come to the realization that Labrys was going to be my character of choice. But something about her just clicks with me. Enjoying it a ton. Also, as a pretty bad player, I had the pleasure of being the first person to give a guys Yu perfect record its first blemish. FOREVER TAINTED.

Akibared

Well. Didn't expect to come to the realization that Labrys was going to be my character of choice. But something about her just clicks with me. Enjoying it a ton. Also, as a pretty bad player, I had the pleasure of being the first person to give a guys Yu perfect record its first blemish. FOREVER TAINTED.

Hahahahaha always a good feel you will be enemies for life now.

zlatko

Banned
Okay I'm done getting rolled over for now. I like Aigis, but goddamn I hate how many matches I've lost with her just to even get her basics down.

I get exposed as Yosuke on the regular. I'm just learning the match ups still to find where I can start my offensive. A lot of Yu players for example will do whatever string of his it is where he'll do the over head sword dive, and I know now I can just confirm into a combo once I block the sword with Yosuke.

Naoto player got me with her instant kill move once, found her again online, and tried the same shit, except this time I stayed still, then I zipped across the screen to start a big ol combo to destroy her. ;D

Patience and learning.

Question:

Who is supposedly the best 3 characters in the game in order, and why? Is Mitsuru supposed to be the toppest tier? I don't see why if it's the case since I have little issue with them as Yosuke.

Given that Arc System Works games are known for their story...

I suppose.

Square Enix games are known for their story but Ehrgeiz and Dissidia wasn't exactly loaded with spoilers. Anyway, just didn't know what to expect since I haven't been following the game and wanted to confirm before I picked it up. Again, no idea it was intended as a followup to the game's story.

zlatko

Banned
So essentially Elizabeth has two instant kills in this game? One that only requires 50sp?

What he shows in that video is just to finish the trial. Her 50SP instant kill yellow gold trap takes like 15 seconds to go off. You see it, then just stay on the other side of the screen and block for a while. It's piss easy to avoid, but it does shorten up the length of the screen you can fight on allowing Liz to get pressure in and fight closer quarters.

Venfayth

If you hit Liz (or she blocks) the circle goes away.

It's almost entirely negligible.

There are some corner setups that can utilize it, but even then, they need a reset in the middle to make it work.

Sophia

Question:

Who is supposedly the best 3 characters in the game in order, and why? Is Mitsuru supposed to be the toppest tier? I don't see why if it's the case since I have little issue with them as Yosuke.

Mitsuru, Aigis, and Yu were top tier last I checked. But it doesn't really mean much in low level play.

I suppose.

Square Enix games are known for their story but Ehrgeiz and Dissidia wasn't exactly loaded with spoilers. Anyway, just didn't know what to expect since I haven't been following the game and wanted to confirm before I picked it up. Again, no idea it was intended as a followup to the game's story.

Square Enix is also a borderline incompetent company nowadays, and the best part of Ehrgeiz is the Diablo like RPG quest that has nothing to do with the main game or Final Fantasy. >_>;

But yeah, this game was always marketed as a sequel to Persona 4. Even says so on the back of the box. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What he shows in that video is just to finish the trial. Her 50SP instant kill yellow gold trap takes like 15 seconds to go off. You see it, then just stay on the other side of the screen and block for a while. It's piss easy to avoid, but it does shorten up the length of the screen you can fight on allowing Liz to get pressure in and fight closer quarters.

It goes away if they hit her though.

I am not a hardcore fighting game player, but I am really digging the mechanics of this game. Its easy to pick up and play for fun, but also seems to get pretty deep. I played a couple matches online and got my ass handed to me, but it was still fun trying to fight these super skilled players.

I totally didn't realize that the story mode was going to take place after the event of P4 and reference a lot of things that happened. So I am going to hold off for now till I get a chance to play through P4 for the first time when it comes out on Vita.

Venfayth

Finished Liz' trial 28 this morning. Her 29 looks crazy, not really sure how I'm gonna do 30 yet either.

I like the idea of using Mind Charge and Diarahan in a combo :p

Wonder if there are other ways to do it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If you hit Liz (or she blocks) the circle goes away.

It's almost entirely negligible.

There are some corner setups that can utilize it, but even then, they need a reset in the middle to make it work.
I counted 10 game clock ticks till activation. Paralyze lasts for 5.

qcb D can force somebody into it when the time is right.

Edit: My line of thought is that even if this sort of fullscreen setup isn't guaranteed, it should limit options and that's always a good thing when zoning. It's not like you won't get the meter back.

Finished Liz' trial 28 this morning. Her 29 looks crazy, not really sure how I'm gonna do 30 yet either.

I like the idea of using Mind Charge and Diarahan in a combo :p

Wonder if there are other ways to do it.

i saw a video of someone clearing 30

it looked like they used the combo from 29 to do it

I don't think I will ever play this online unless with GAF. I learned my lesson with Blazblue and SF4.

Mitsuru, Aigis, and Yu were top tier last I checked. But it doesn't really mean much in low level play.

Square Enix is also a borderline incompetent company nowadays, and the best part of Ehrgeiz is the Diablo like RPG quest that has nothing to do with the main game or Final Fantasy. >_>;

But yeah, this game was always marketed as a sequel to Persona 4. Even says so on the back of the box. :p

I completely missed this somehow. >_<

I'm going to try and push through Persona 4, starting this weekend. It has been a long time overdue.

Akibared

I don't think I will ever play this online unless with GAF. I learned my lesson with Blazblue and SF4.

I completely missed this somehow. >_<

I'm going to try and push through Persona 4, starting this weekend. It has been a long time overdue.

Its my favorite jrpg just because of the characters I hope you enjoy it. =)

LProtag

I'm about to go into training mode and just grind easy combos for a while in the hopes that I'll have them down enough so that I can do them in a match.

Someone please reassure me and tell me that all new fighting game players have to spend a bunch of time on this kind of thing. I've learned some basic combos but I just can't pull them off in a match.

Maybe I'll try to learn a longer combo but it seems useless as I'd drop it all the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I played one match and decided that it was bullshit not worth my time.

Maybe someone will find a way to cheese it.

They'd need to find a way to cheese it with ALL characters for the achievement.

Blazblue CS1/2's wasn't that bad since you could 2P jump-in if you were starting to lose and ICE CAR cheese. Same for the Arcade on Hell mode. Here it's just bad.

EVOL 100%

I'm about to go into training mode and just grind easy combos for a while in the hopes that I'll have them down enough so that I can do them in a match.

Someone please reassure me and tell me that all new fighting game players have to spend a bunch of time on this kind of thing. I've learned some basic combos but I just can't pull them off in a match.

It always happens. Even in games like SC where combos are relatively simple it does too.

They'd need to find a way to cheese it with ALL characters for the achievement.

Blazblue CS1/2's wasn't that bad since you could 2P jump-in if you were starting to lose and ICE CAR cheese. Same for the Arcade on Hell mode. Here it's just bad.

If the only reason for beating it is to get an achievement, yeah I'm not touching it ever again. Don't care about them.

Akibared

Maybe I'll try to learn a longer combo but it seems useless as I'd drop it all the time.

No matter how good someone is its always a great thing to hit up training mode a bunch to help get inputs and stuff down and keep it fresh in your mind so you're doing it right. =)

Venfayth

I counted 10 game clock ticks till activation. Paralyze lasts for 5.

qcb D can force somebody into it when the time is right.

Edit: My line of thought is that even if this sort of fullscreen setup isn't guaranteed, it should limit options and that's always a good thing when zoning. It's not like you won't get the meter back.

Ah, I see.

I was gonna say that you can still roll and hop while paralyzed, but you're right. It definitely puts someone into panic mode. If you can get them paralyzed with a Mahamaon circle on the ground, you can guarantee they'll hop or roll, which means you have a huge advantage. :D

Dantis

Once again:

Akihiko-san and the Other guys no one cares about Scrubs: the Ultimate in I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS boxing arena. :3

Too bad I'll never be able to pull those off. FOREVER AN F-

That reminds me: Does Akihiko ever say "I've been waiting for this!" in Arena?

Does ANYONE have any of their phrases from the previous games?

SerRodrik

That reminds me: Does Akihiko ever say "I've been waiting for this!" in Arena?

Does ANYONE have any of their phrases from the previous games?

I don't know much about Akihiko but I know I at least heard a "Don't think, feel," from Chie during a fight.

zlatko

Banned
I think I'm joining the Akihiko army. I keep watching videos, and if he hits awakened and confirms into his combo to a upper cut super, then it's like an easy 40%+ of your health gone.

Love characters that hit like a truck. :p

Dantis

I don't know much about Akihiko but I know I at least heard a "Don't think, feel," from Chie during a fight.

That reminds me: I was watching some videos, do not like Chie's new voice. No sirree.

It also seems to fluctuate oddly between how old she sounds.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
<3 IK's.

Your aki is pretty damn good though man, I keep forgetting that I shouldnt play up close with him. Finally figured that out the last match but I got timed out :(

And Labrys pressure is godlike my fuck.

I got baptized by that IK a good 3 times lol

These are all my first matchups too. I only played Yus and Yosukes mostly yesterday.

EVOL 100%

That reminds me: I was watching some videos, do not like Chie's new voice. No sirree.

It also seems to fluctuate oddly between how old she sounds.

It's also for some reason quite hard to hear/understand.

One more reason to play with the JPN track for me.

Once again:

Akihiko-san and the Other guys no one cares about Scrubs: the Ultimate in I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS boxing arena. :3

Too bad I'll never be able to pull those off. FOREVER AN F-

That's how I feel when I watch this stuff. I just don't think I was made to play games like this or Marvel. But man, I really want to play Ak and Yu at a decent level. I watched the Big Two GF in Persona 4 and those Yu mix ups were just so sick. I want to be able to do that shit some day.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It took me a good 3 days to get Akihiko's pace - and I still find myself overthinking a lot of things. My biggest issue is not getting the most out of damage opportunities and dealing with characters have have range and armor. I just gotta put in more time and get instant block timing down.

Akibared

I think I'm joining the Akihiko army. I keep watching videos, and if he hits awakened and confirms into his combo to a upper cut super, then it's like an easy 40%+ of your health gone.

Love characters that hit like a truck. :p

Hahahahaha I've thought about that and he was my favorite character from persona 3.

Onemic

ggs dudes! Labrys made me rage at the screen.

I really need to know how to keep relatively safe pressure with Mitsuru. All I have is a crossup which can be beaten if you jump, and going into 2A, which can be beaten out if you just mash jab. I have no idea how to escape Labrys pressure as it seems if you even press a button she catches you immediately and if you jump she catches you as well, so all you can do is block and go into another mixup.

it actually makes me want to side labrys now.

Good games overall. I didn't play against DY that much but for onemic, your poking was pretty good.

But since you did the same AA(A?) combo into the jumping crossup multiple times, I learned to expect it and just moved to the other side.

Whenever I get pressured heavily I focus on defense until I can get an opportunity to punish something that's unsafe.

Like holding down-back for everything until you see an overhead coming is a good strategy imo.

You can practice this in the practice mode. Just choose Yu as your opponent, set the AI to 100 and just practice blocking his mixups. It really does help.

Top Bottom