• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

lol, i think i need a shower after that one

ggs man. you can play so many characters, its frightening :p

I had to find the best character to fight Yukiko. She's definitely my biggest problem when I play Kanji (My main). I think Mitsuru can really keep her cornered so that's probably going to be my go-to choice against her.

Onemic

Good games overall. I didn't play against DY that much but for onemic, your poking was pretty good.

But since you did the same AA(A?) combo into the jumping crossup multiple times, I learned to expect it and just moved to the other side.

Whenever I get pressured heavily I focus on defense until I can get an opportunity to punish something that's unsafe.

Like holding down-back for everything until you see an overhead coming is a good strategy imo.

You can practice this in the practice mode. Just choose Yu as your opponent, set the AI to 100 and just practice blocking his mixups. It really does help.

Is Labrys the only character that has that type of pressure where your only option is to block? I'd love to learn something like that for mitsu.

Shaffield

I had to find the best character to fight Yukiko. She's definitely my biggest problem when I play Kanji (My main). I think Mitsuru can really keep her cornered so that's probably going to be my go-to choice against her.

yeah, Mitsu definitely gives me alot of trouble. she can clear distance really quickly and has such long range and short recovery, its hard for me to keep her zoned, and its not the best match-up in close range. her corners aren't quite as tough as Labrys' tho

your Kanji was giving me hell, but that's mostly because I haven't practiced much against him

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It still baffles me people are asking this question. "Does the sequel to (insert any game here) contain spoilers to the first?"

A lot of people don't know this is a canon sequel to Persona 4. I can't really blame them, since it's an unorthodox approach to a series.

Does Arcade mode contain story spoilers at all?

yeah, Mitsu definitely gives me alot of trouble. she can clear distance really quickly and has such long range and short recovery, its hard for me to keep her zoned, and its not the best match-up in close range. her corners aren't quite as tough as Labrys' tho

your Kanji was giving me hell, but that's mostly because I haven't practiced much against him

What are you getting hit by Labrys in the corner? I need to work on my pressure game.

Shaffield

A lot of people don't know this is a canon sequel to Persona 4. I can't really blame them, since it's an unorthodox approach to a series.

What are you getting hit by Labrys in the corner? I need to work on my pressure game.

just those dangerous mix-ups and the wicked fast normals. she has that chain attack into a slide and that crazy overhead, so it requires ridiculous reflexes to defend

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ggs dudes! Labrys made me rage at the screen.

I really need to know how to keep relatively safe pressure with Mitsuru. All I have is a crossup which can be beaten if you jump, and going into 2A, which can be beaten out if you just mash jab. I have no idea how to escape Labrys pressure as it seems if you even press a button she catches you immediately and if you jump she catches you as well, so all you can do is block and go into another mixup.

it actually makes me want to side labrys now.

ggs man

and yeah, dat labrys made my pressure look pre-school

i'm still too dependent on the corner. i don't airdash nearly enough with akihiko.

DY_nasty

Good games overall. I didn't play against DY that much but for onemic, your poking was pretty good.

But since you did the same AA(A?) combo into the jumping crossup multiple times, I learned to expect it and just moved to the other side.

Whenever I get pressured heavily I focus on defense until I can get an opportunity to punish something that's unsafe.

Like holding down-back for everything until you see an overhead coming is a good strategy imo.

You can practice this in the practice mode. Just choose Yu as your opponent, set the AI to 100 and just practice blocking his mixups. It really does help.

This is good advice.

Also, I don't know matchups nearly well enough to attempt Yukiko right now.

Noi

Will never understand how people get hit by Naoto's IK. Takes about 10 seconds in training mode to realize the two giant safe spots in it, it's easier to dodge than Akihiko's. At least you can bait most of the other IK's, Naoto's takes 30 minutes smoke break before the crosshairs turn active.

LProtag

Sandwich and then grind time. Anyone have any air combos for Narukami? I find that I hit a lot with raw 214B and I can get a launcher after with dash 5B > 5C. Is it possible to pull off a j.B > j.B > j.C > 214A after that? I know you can do that combo in the air but I don't know if it works after the 214B > 5B > 5C.

Thanks, if anyone can give help.

Edit: Nevermind, it works. I never expected myself to be able to do it, but I guess resting a night and coming back solidified some of the skills I gained yesterday. I'm actually proud of myself for some stupid reason, hahaha.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

This is something I need to work on in general. If I miss a block I usually end up trying to burst or roll out of it and end up eating another combo and get bodied in the corner instead of trying to keep blocking. Was pretty apparent in some of last night's matches.

This is something I need to work on in general. If I miss a block I usually end up trying to burst or roll out of it and end up eating another combo and get bodied in the corner instead of trying to keep blocking. Was pretty apparent in some of last night's matches.

yeah.

I played an Aigis and she would let me drop out of a firethingy and then pick me right back up...

She would then bait out a burst and then start up the pain...again.

I am property of Aigis now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Will never understand how people get hit by Naoto's IK. Takes about 10 seconds in training mode to realize the two giant safe spots in it, it's easier to dodge than Akihiko's. At least you can bait most of the other IK's, Naoto's takes 30 minutes smoke break before the crosshairs turn active.

She's invulnerable during that smoke break, so it's confusing the first time you see it. I assumed she was charging something, backed away into a crosshair and died.

DY_nasty

She's invulnerable during that smoke break, so it's confusing the first time you see it. I assumed she was charging something, backed away into a crosshair and died.

Yeah, I think everyone's first IK experience ends with them getting bodied.

Unless you're talking about Akihiko's IK. That shit is lol.

Noi

Yeah, I was gonna add that I can understand getting hit by it the first time you see it, but the same thing applies to pretty much every other IK. Naoto's is unique in that it takes the longest, I guess.

Astral

Naoto in Score Attack tried to IK me and I avoided it pretty easily. I just walked a few feet in front of her and stayed in between two reticles. Then I just waited it out and killed her when she was done. I think the reticles appear in the same locations every time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, I think everyone's first IK experience ends with them getting bodied.

Unless you're talking about Akihiko's IK. That shit is lol.

Yeah, I was gonna add that I can understand getting hit by it the first time you see it, but the same thing applies to pretty much every other IK. Naoto's is unique in that it takes the longest, I guess.

Hm, I haven't seen Akihiko's yet. Maybe I should try out everyone's in Training Mode just to see what they do.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dia is invulnerable to projectiles, so if her IK counts as a projectile, it wouldn't hit her.

Yeah her Dia is invul to alot of IK's

I know atleast Akihiko's in addition to Naoto's. Which is pretty hilarious since she still gets pulled in

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's how I feel when I watch this stuff. I just don't think I was made to play games like this or Marvel. But man, I really want to play Ak and Yu at a decent level. I watched the Big Two GF in Persona 4 and those Yu mix ups were just so sick. I want to be able to do that shit some day.

You misunderstand. I suck. 3 wins out of like 25-50 in ranked. 4-5 wins out of 15 in player matches. I'll never get to that level. :/

And never get level 30 or C+ ;__;

Esura

Banned

Yeah, most fighters based on existing properties either only cover existing material on the property with their story/arcade mode or make up some non canonical reason for characters of said property on fighting each other.

While I like the Story Mode being a direct sequel, it still seems kind of stupid in a way too. It makes the Story Mode only accessible to those who played P4 and I argue P3 as well.

Noi

Did a little 5 game win streak as Labrys on ranked before my internet cut out a moment ago. A lot of people don't know how to defend against Labrys' pressure and mixup, and I don't even know her Level 5 BnBs.

Did a little 5 game win streak as Labrys on ranked before my internet cut out a moment ago. A lot of people don't know how to defend against Labrys' pressure and mixup, and I don't even know her Level 5 BnBs.

I underestimate how fast her poke is, my Mitsu pressure works for shit against her. And her autocombo does way too much damage, 3k is ridiculous.

koryuken

I think I'm joining the Akihiko army. I keep watching videos, and if he hits awakened and confirms into his combo to a upper cut super, then it's like an easy 40%+ of your health gone.

Love characters that hit like a truck. :p

I see people play Aki and I don't get why they don't abuse some of his moves. His A+B (overhead that has ARMOR = gdlk)...hot sure why more people don't do 2A,2A block string into A+B into launch combo. I realize its somewhat unsafe but people mash so hard in this game, and risk/reward is pretty great.

I also think for this character A+C (quick escape) is super good for getting in. I like doing some block strings, calling Caesar vortex and A+C to the other side for a weird crossup.

[Newb alert] Whoa... just started playing. I tried Chie, Yukiko and Mitsuru. Yukiko is fun to play as and her Persona attacks have some nice angles up close. Playing as Mitsuru I got my arse kicked by Aigis.

I finished up the tutorials but I think I'm going to run through them once more just to get the hang of things.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how Yosuke's persona attack where it explodes and inflicts status works?

Like does it hit high/low or is it a grab?

Top Bottom