• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

SUPARSTARX

I'm seeing lots of argot. How's the game? Is it fun? Approachable? "Deep"? Story mode any good?

I like the game. Got PS3 and Xbox versions. It's fun enough for me to be converting my time from Capcom games to this. Approachable with very easy to learn stuff off the bat and deep enough to keep you figuring out new technical stuff (setups, baits, proper punishes, etc) and the story mode is pretty good.

Noi

ggs Perorist. I can barely handle Aigis' barrage of bullets and by the time I manage to wait 'em out I get so into it that I barely noticed the time ran out.
KuGsj.gif

Teknoman

Story mode is very cool if you're really into the series. Its a direct sequel to Persona 4 and updates you on what happened after everyone beat up Nyx in Persona 3. Very approachable in that you can have fun even if you have no idea how to play a fighting game, and it can get very fast paced at times. Lots of strategic moves, but nothing too overwhelming, and everything feels like it has a purpose.

Soundtrack and graphics are great as always.

EDIT: You just have to remember that certain supers can only be used in awakened mode (mid-low range health). There are even status effects, instant kill moves, and they managed to work in the all out attacks from the rpgs.

Himself

Game is all those things. It helps that everything is QCF and QCB motions so if you do those you can do things! The game gets as deep as you want it to, but it stays fun at all levels, IMO.

I haven't touched the story mode yet because I'm waiting for P4G on Vita so it's all versus and training mode for me.

Actually that raises a question for me. For whatever reason i really want to play this game ASAp, but I haven't played P4 and won't until the Vita version comes out. Can i still enjoy the game without being spoiled if I stay away from story mode or are there pretty obvious things (characters, stages, dialogue, etc.) that could still spoil the story of P4 for me?

I like the game. Got PS3 and Xbox versions. It's fun enough for me to be converting my time from Capcom games to this. Approachable with very easy to learn stuff off the bat and deep enough to keep you figuring out new technical stuff (setups, baits, proper punishes, etc) and the story mode is pretty good.

Good to hear. For me, fun is the most important thing for a fighting game because I generally suck at them. And BlazBlue was lots of fun for me.

Ken

Actually that raises a question for me. For whatever reason i really want to play this game ASAp, but I haven't played P4 and won't until the Vita version comes out. Can i still enjoy the game without being spoiled if I stay away from story mode or are there pretty obvious things (characters, stages, dialogue, etc.) that could still spoil the story of P4 for me?

The game takes place several months (?) after P4 so I'd have to imagine it is spoilerish. It's why I'm staying away from it ATM.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

TheSoundsOfNoFucksGiven/LOOKATALLTHEFUCKSIGIVE.gif

Anyway, found a pretty neat use for ONE-MORE-ing in Akihiko's dive. He has a slight delay on that dive-kick (er-"punch") move, you can ONE-MORE! out of it and then into his auto-combo. Pretty funny to do on the AI, not sure it's practical against human players but there you go. Good use to using ONE-MORE for the ONE-MORE trophy.

Noi

GGs everyone

Couldn't get in against Noi's lab lol, don't think I pulled off even one orgia combo

I noticed! You were doing all this fancy shit against PartTimeWarrior, but you pretty much had to zone me out most of the time. I was afraid to call out my persona at times just out of fear of your damn 2B, and using my DP was pretty much useless every time you were in Orgia mode. Your Ds are so annoying too.

Venfayth

Story mode is fucking awesome if you are a fan of the Persona series. Never before have the P4 and P3 characters interacted before (sans a few teases in the portable version of 3) - so seeing them interact is awesome. Not to mention the story is pretty good for a game.. granted it's a VN.

Venfayth

Try to keep along with your active save because you can come back to them once you've unlocked the conclusion.

You can just choose the character you want to continue in the main story menu, it'll ask you if you want to continue from the cliffhanger, don't need the bookmark.

edit: beaten like a liz player

Teknoman

Yes. When you get access to the endings, just pick that character from the main story menu and you'll be prompted to pick up at the cliffhanger.

Wait so after it says to be continued, do we have to play as everyone else before we unlock the next scene, or just choose that character again.

PBalfredo

Does Chei's Skull Crusher hit low, or is it an overhead? Blocking low or high, it always seems to get through, which just means I'm going to eat a TRAIL OF THE DRAGON to the face.

SGRemy

just bought a 360 copy (even though i have one on ps3)

360- SGRemy
psn- shyguyremy

if anybody wants to get some games in. getting an invite to a room would also be nice >.>

Noi

Does Chei's Skull Crusher hit low, or is it an overhead? Blocking low or high, it always seems to get through, which just means I'm going to eat a TRAIL OF THE DRAGON to the face.

High then low. Took me forever to get the timing down cause it's so quick too. It's kinda dumb.

Edit: Beaten over the head.

TWILT

Banned
FChamp sure is a mature and classy dude.
Jeeze man. I'm only up to 21 and I couldn't do 19 yet, haha.

What's your BnB right now? I'm trying to do 2B > 5B > 5C > 214D > OMC > 214B > (dash) 5B > 5C > j.B > (jc) j.B > j.C > 214A but it's going to be a while. The OMC into 214B is a really small window.

Yeah, OMC into 214B is pretty hard. You gotta cancel as soon as it hits.

(Anti air) 2B > JBB *double jump* > JB > JC > 214A > Ziodyne

(After doing a sweep) 5D *Dash then evasive action to get behind them > 2B > 5B > 5D > 2B > 5B > 5C > 236D > Ziodyne/Cross Slash

(Corner) 5B > 5C > 214C > 5A > 5C > 2C > *slight delay* 214B > J2A > J5D

(Midscreen, but freaking hard to do) 5B > 5C > 214D > BURST > *Immediate* 5D > dash forward 5B > 214A > 5D > 5B > 5C > JBB > *double jump* JB > JC > 214A > Ziodyne C. Does like 5k damage.

Might have messed up an input. I shamelessly stole the last 2 from challenge mode, but hey.

Story mode is fucking awesome if you are a fan of the Persona series. Never before have the P4 and P3 characters interacted before (sans a few teases in the portable version of 3) - so seeing them interact is awesome. Not to mention the story is pretty good for a game.. granted it's a VN.

Yeah, just finished story mode earlier. It's really well written; liked it way more than BB's story (though I'm biased because of Persona =P).

Practice some Naoto stuff for a some hours.

The timing on some of those air combo's is pretty tight. Had to make a neutered version just so I could use it reliably.

Hamaon/Mudoon is fun though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
FChamp trying his hardest to become even more reviled.

Ken

Is the key to doing AA 66 A to input 66 as fast as possible? Sometimes I think I'll input 66 but my character just stands still and the combo stops so it's pretty frustrating.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just heard the Fuuka commentator.

Yeah, definitely not the same VA.

Yeah, I like that it uses the players preferences, so even if you didn't unlock it/buy it, you can hear it. I faced someone who was using Mitsuru as the navigator. Someone was also using the Japanese voices for Rise, combined with the English it was tough to decipher any words being said, they just meshed into one.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I like that it uses the players preferences, so even if you didn't unlock it/buy it, you can hear it. I faced someone who was using Mitsuru as the navigator. Someone was also using the Japanese voices for Rise, combined with the English it was tough to decipher any words being said, they just meshed into one.

I still haven't heard Nanako's. Hope it's as adorable as I expect.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I just hope Nanako randomly sings the Junes song.

FChamp trying his hardest to become even more reviled.

I feel like the way Champ just generally acts like a fool is one part Champ just being Champ, and one part him thinking being a heel is a good way to market himself. But there comes a point where being a heel to market yourself becomes counterproductive.

hahaha, oh shit

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed! You were doing all this fancy shit against PartTimeWarrior, but you pretty much had to zone me out most of the time. I was afraid to call out my persona at times just out of fear of your damn 2B, and using my DP was pretty much useless every time you were in Orgia mode. Your Ds are so annoying too.
Idk, I got rolled by your DP's super armor every time I came in to pressure/combo with orgia. Didn't realize I could bait it with one hit then block until later and then the one time I actually did I dropped the followup lol.

Btw, how do you get Aigis as a navi? Is she unlockable or do you have to buy her?

Is the key to doing AA 66 A to input 66 as fast as possible? Sometimes I think I'll input 66 but my character just stands still and the combo stops so it's pretty frustrating.

You have a small frame of time to dash and hit with 5A again. (labrys right?).

You input 66 right as you are able to dash so when you do the second 6 the first is already buffered and you dash on the frame you are able. For 5AA>66>5A you should be hitting the second 6 right when the axe goes up to it's idle position above her head.

It will take a while to get the timing down.

Mashing doesn't work, you have to be precise to get it consistently.

That will only work on axe levels 4-5.

Kellen

I feel like the way Champ just generally acts like a fool is one part Champ just being Champ, and one part him thinking being a heel is a good way to market himself. But there comes a point where being a heel to market yourself becomes counterproductive.

Champ wants to be the Skip Bayless of FGC

Noi

Idk, I got rolled by your DP's super armor every time I came in to pressure/combo with orgia. Didn't realize I could bait it with one hit then block until later and then the one time I actually did I dropped the followup lol.

Btw, how do you get Aigis as a navi? Is she unlockable or do you have to buy her?

I bought her, Fuuka and Nanako. I don't think anyone knows how to unlock Aigis or Fuuka normally, and every search for Nanako gives up different answers, so I just went "fuck it" and bought the ones I wanted + colors.

Top Bottom