• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Started using Mitsu's IK a bit more: gosh, it's ridiculously good, especially now that people aren't really used to be cautious of IKs!
Just won three matches in a row by IKs.

I think I have like a 95% success rate using Mitsuru's IK against Naotos.

Chavelo

Hey guys, can anyone confirm if that afro'd kid working at Junes with the pink clothes was Funky?

VXzSSl.jpg
905938-funkystudent.png

Hmmm... Maybe? There's no confirmation about him in the game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
There are a ton of references in this game to things in the RPG that aren't important at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's supposed to be Funky.

Dantis

Would Persona even have a big scene in the areas he mentioned? I don't see it shrinking Persona's international appeal much. Should have said that from the start.

I honestly have no idea. I just don't understand what you mean and why you're talking about the US and Japan.

I'm pretty sure he means that TTT2 will have a negative impact on Arena's sales in places like Europe if Zen can't get it released in the first week of September. That's all there is to it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's everyone using for their fight stick config?

Tempted to use

ABC
D

Like Blazblue. The default seems odd.

Use the default, it just works better.

AB is an action

CD is an action

AC is an action

BD is an action

DCA is an action

ABC is an action

Imagine those on a bb style format

alstein

The default feels like my old KOF pad config, which I worked hard to break as a habit, now I have to break habits again.

Then again, I need to make my Yukiko good at something before I give up on this game. Felt some improvement today, but this game still feels like a foreign language.

The default feels like my old KOF pad config, which I worked hard to break as a habit, now I have to break habits again.

Then again, I need to make my Yukiko good at something before I give up on this game. Felt some improvement today, but this game still feels like a foreign language.

yukiko is a good char, but has poor options once pressured. But if you get the offense going it can be quite staggering.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yukiko is gimped in a lot of ways... You have to ignore so many things and play a perfect technical game with her.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
On a stick, each button gets a finger. If I wanted to contort my hand to press button combinations, I'd use a pad.

Or you could... use two fingers? How in the world do people play SF? with 6 fingers?

and I use my full thumb to hit double presses and shoulder buttons for the AC and BD stuff. Then if I want to burst I just press a shoulder button and the one button it needs on the pad. Easy and my hands are not being destroyed...

Use the default, it just works better.

AB is an action

CD is an action

AC is an action

BD is an action

DCA is an action

ABC is an action

Imagine those on a bb style format

So, almost just like KoF?

The default instantly clicked with me anyways, so I can't really say I know how the others feel :|

Chavelo

On a stick, each button gets a finger. If I wanted to contort my hand to press button combinations, I'd use a pad.

I'm not having any issues with with doing the ABC/ACD commands on a stick, if that's what you're talking about. All I do is switch my thumb from the B button to the D button.

To each his own (that's why there is a button config menu), but to call a default layout "stupid" because your hands can't handle it is kind of silly.

Also pad = shortcuts.

Or you could... use two fingers? How in the world do people play SF? with 6 fingers?

I'm not sure what exactly you're imagining, but each button having a finger seems faster and more efficient than anything else.

Not that I actually play SF on any kind of regular basis, but it's not as comfortable or intuitive as playing a 4 button fighter.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So, almost just like KoF?

The default instantly clicked with me anyways, so I can't really say I know how the others feel :|

It's weird if you play other games, but that's only if you think of the buttons as the letters they are.

In your mind you should be thinking,

Character 1 Persona 1
Character 2 Persona 2

not

A C
B D

Which can lead to some confusion

It's weird if you play other games, but that's only if you think of the buttons as the letters they are.

In your mind you should be thinking,

Character 1 Persona 1
Character 2 Persona 2

not

A C
B D

Which can lead to some confusion

Honestly, I usually get more confused when games DO have similar setups. You have no idea how confused I was when going constantly back and forth between TvC and BB at the arcade. Hell, after playing nothing but SCV for a week and then suddenly going back to MvC 3 I was trying to guard with S and grab with A+S >__>

I prefer default P4A. The reason being is so that muscle memory ties in with a distinct layout.

Nothing worse than pressing the wrong button combination thinking you're playing a different game. Thats why at first the C+D grab was throwing me off for awhile.

I'm not having any issues with with doing the ABC/ACD commands on a stick, if that's what you're talking about. All I do is switch my thumb from the B button to the D button.

To each his own (that's why there is a button config menu), but to call a default layout "stupid" because your hands can't handle it is kind of silly.

Also pad = shortcuts.

each button having a finger seems faster and more efficient than anything else

This is why I called it stupid. It makes sense for pads, which is what most people play on, so of course the default layout will cater to that. But for someone using a stick, it doesn't make any sense, to me anyway.

But like you said, to each their own.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I prefer default P4A. The reason being is so that muscle memory ties in with a distinct layout.

Nothing worse than pressing the wrong button combination thinking you're playing a different game. Thats why at first the C+D grab was throwing me off for awhile.

Yeah, that still gets me lost... I keep thinking of those as exclusively persona buttons. I don't think I've stopped a single throw in this game.

MechaX

Personally, I altered the Control Scheme to..

ACD
B

I play Naoto, and I found myself tiring my thumb out very quickly with D at the default position. Plus, it is easier for me to cancel out of sniping stance by having my ring finger holding D than switching over my thumb to pressing/holding D from B. And under this format, there really is no confusion for me in challenge mode displays and hitting all of the buttons combinations you need is still pretty simple. If I ever needed to play on default for whatever reason, it still wouldn't be too awkward to do so.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is why I called it stupid. It makes sense for pads, which is what most people play on, so of course the default layout will cater to that. But for someone using a stick, it doesn't make any sense, to me anyway.

But like you said, to each their own.

Uh, it's the default lay out in arcades as well. Marvel 2 also used it if you don't count the assist buttons

Noi

Against my better judgement, I tried Score Attack with Labrys again and actually managed to beat him, though he still managed to take a round with his fucking stupid Garudyne that deals almost as much damage as Brutal Impact.

Then I run into a Naoto with a seemingly endless supply of SP to counter any blockstrings with either of her SP skills, and Death counters that either drain twice as fast or don't reset per round (banking on the latter cause I got reduced to 0 at about 10 seconds into Round 2). Just... argh.

Noi

Right as I type my last complaint, I try Score Attack again and hand Naoto's ass on a silver platter. Huh.

...Yukiko has permanent Fire Break and Lv 8 Fire Boost. Her fans shoot out 3 at a time. WHY.

I played 15 matches against a guy using both versions of Labrys.
I won 7

Guy locked me down in the corner with just her axe.

Her jumping B is so good and is super easy to hit confirm into a combo.

Her DP beats kanji's D grab and his DP so i couldn't do some of my follow-ups on knock down.

Had to work for the wins.

Dantis

Right as I type my last complaint, I try Score Attack again and hand Naoto's ass on a silver platter. Huh.

...Yukiko has permanent Fire Break and Lv 8 Fire Boost. Her fans shoot out 3 at a time. WHY.

Can you continue in Score Attack? Or is it like Blazblue where you die and have to restart the whole thing?

Noi

Can you continue in Score Attack? Or is it like Blazblue where you die and have to restart the whole thing?
You could continue in BlazBlue's Score Attack, with the sole exception being Extend's Unlimited Mars (No continues, every "Unlimited" character). Unlimited Mars got renamed "Score Attack" for this game. :/

Have to beat the whole thing. No using the BB 2-player glitch to avoid losses.

Wouldn't exactly call it a glitch when they kept it in for all 3 of their Home releases, with Unlimited Mars being the only mode that took it out!

Samyy

I don't have time to play this game for a really long time, probably not until next summer but I really want to know if there is any info regarding p3 mc?

Chavelo

I don't have time to play this game for a really long time, probably not until next summer but I really want to know if there is any info regarding p3 mc?

Elizabeth's story touches upon this. Basically, he's still trapped and she's trying to help him out. Also, the P3 characters say that Charlie reminds them of the P3 MC here and there.

Top Bottom