• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

LProtag

Those DPs you were doing were throwing me off though. Got hit by them way too many times. I got to stay away from Yu when he wakes up.

DPs are a dangerous road though. When they work I go "damn I'm just going to keep doing this" and when they don't I go "they'll never expect me to DP 3 times in a row on wakeup".

Funny thing I've noticed while reading this thread is that every character is hated or claimed OP by someone :p

Only characters I deem really powerful are mitsu, and aigis.

The thing I deem OP is naoto's SMP loop because having that (imo) destroys her character design. Why ever go for fate counters when you can just do a 7k combo and kill them? It makes the whole subsystem of fatal counters less important which is the defining feature of Naoto.

After that there are bad matchups which are bound to happen in fighting games. Different characters have adv/dis-adv against certain characters and it can get really bad.

Mitsu vs liz
Slab vs yukiko

and there is a few more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Good games guys.

lordcyno got better every match too

and fans, one day i'll give a fuck and decide to juke them and stop pretending they don't hurt
Only characters I deem really powerful are mitsu, and aigis.

The thing I deem OP is naoto's SMP loop because having that (imo) destroys her character design. Why ever go for fate counters when you can just do a 7k combo and kill them? It makes the whole subsystem of fatal counters less important which is the defining feature of Naoto.

After that there are bad matchups which are bound to happen in fighting games. Different characters have adv/dis-adv against certain characters and it can get really bad.

Mitsu vs liz
Slab vs yukiko

and there is a few more.

Akihiko vs Mitsuru
Akihiko vs Yosuke

Cowie

GGS psn folks! Akihiko is scary when he gets close T_T and Yosuke is too rascally to keep where I want with fans and fire!

I need some help. I can't fight Yosuke at all. I just...have no idea what to do against him. My character is Yu.

So far the only strategy is to stand there and get styled on in teh air.

Seriously Yosuke is hax at times.

But honestly zoning is perhaps the worst thing to do...so there is that I guess. Dude is crazy fast and can basically fly in the hands of someone good.

DY_nasty

GGS psn folks! Akihiko is scary when he gets close T_T and Yosuke is too rascally to keep where I want with fans and fire!

I still feel like I don't have enough to work with. Caesar may as well be a spectator. Only thing he's good for is j.C and pulling people slightly out of their comfort zone and sortakinda into range.
So far the only strategy is to stand there and get styled on in teh air.

Seriously Yosuke is hax at times.

But honestly zoning is perhaps the worst thing to do...so there is that I guess. Dude is crazy fast and can basically fly in the hands of someone good.

Yeah, I'm just sitting on the ground waiting for him to come down.

I have no answer for Yosuke at all. I gotta treat him like a Contra boss - dodge as much bullshit as I can until he comes into range for a brief moment where I have to unload everything I got on his weakpoint until he vanishes into the sky again.

At least Mitsuru owns me face to face with superior everything cuz she's rich :(

Good games guys.

lordcyno got better every match too

and fans, one day i'll give a fuck and decide to juke them and stop pretending they don't hurt

Akihiko vs Mitsuru
Akihiko vs Yosuke

There is no way any of those is as bad as the one mention above. Akihiko vs Mitsuru I can see it being 6-4 at most but I don't play those character so I could be wrong. I'll have to check dustloop and etc.

edit

if you're talking about yosuke flip you can just run/roll through after the initial block string where he flips off you. Or just IB the cross ups (but risky).

DY_nasty

There is no way any of those is as bad as the one mention above. Akihiko vs Mitsuru I can see it being 6-4 at most but I don't play those character so I could be wrong. I'll have to check dustloop and etc.

edit

if you're talking about yosuke flip you can just run/roll through after the initial block string where he flips off you. Or just IB the cross ups (but risky).

Almost everything Mitsuru does is safe against Akihiko. That matchup is a nightmare.

Didn't know about the roll stuff though. That's huge. Thanks.

Almost everything Mitsuru does is safe against Akihiko. That matchup is a nightmare.

Didn't know about the roll stuff though. That's huge. Thanks.

Yeah I lost to Roe because of that flip shit. So I tested in training mode briefly to see the options and if you run like IMMEDIATELY after the block stun where he runs and flips off you he can't follow you even if he reads the run. Rolling might be harder didn't test 100%. I didn't even bother testing dp since when I did it during our match it clashed and I died due to dp's recovery.

Mitsuru is naturally a safe character, she is safe against almost the whole cast. That doesn't mean she beats everybody free. It might be a hard match but its not stupid like a 7-3 match especially if you aren't persona reliant.

Good games 360 crew.
Golden Sun,SolarKnight,Apharmd, and Ken

Sun has some good super setups and dash grab shenanigans with akihiko.

Solar,you're hard to pin down with yosuke and I saw you were using the unblockable more after i told you the tip.

Apharmd,I also saw you pick up some of my tricks with yu.

I somehow managed to beat Ken's labrys with kanji by the skin of my teeth.
though i was hoping to fight her more in the lobby.

BlackJace

I'm trying but I'm eating too many of those Raging Lions for free. Is that thing safe on block?

Also, his BD is the most annoying thing ever .

It needs to be blocked high. And no, if someone successfully blocks a RL, it leaves Yu very vulnerable. I faced a guy who was hell bent on nailing me with it, and I just kept on punishing.

Ken

It needs to be blocked high. And no, if someone successfully blocks a RL, it leaves Yu very vulnerable. I faced a guy who was hell bent on nailing me with it, and I just kept on punishing.

Maybe it's my connection but I can't punish Chavelo's RL. I would block his RL and then when I go for a normal attack his would hit first.

Anyways, GG Chavelo. It said the room disbanded but I want to play against you more.

I'm trying but I'm eating too many of those Raging Lions for free. Is that thing safe on block?

Also, his BD is the most annoying thing ever .

I think you can punish on instant block. His cross slash is also pretty safe. Would not risk punishing if he has 50 meter because he can just do it again.

Best way to beat the DP is to bait it or don't use unsafe moves when he's blocking you.

I believe 5AA is safe for close pressure. 5AAA is just asking to get DP'd.

His j5B is faster than yours so don't expect to win if you both attack at the same time in the air unless you started up first.

Easiest way to win is to get in close and shut him down, make his DP useless by baiting it or hitting him out of DP range/you can evasive action through the DP as well.

If you do it right your opponent can't do anything and you can win the match before the clock hits 80.

If not, there's going to be a lot of back and forth.

I always prefer to try and end matches as quickly as possible unless I doubt my ability to see through their counters. The downside to playing safe is that it does give your opponent more time and opportunities to beat you.

BlackJace

Maybe it's my connection but I can't punish Chavelo's RL. I would block his RL and then when I go for a normal attack his would hit first.

Anyways, GG Chavelo. It said the room disbanded but I want to play against you more.

What PoorFate said, instant block. Actually, if you're swift enough try and just avoid the dive all together and run right in as he lands. He has to get back up and nailing him during that animation is key :p

Hope that helps.

DY_nasty

Dude why would I turn rise off. If you use shadow lab she says Heaven or Hell? Duel 1 lets rock.

That's awesome lol

and I love navigators. Nanako is the only thing that can get me to be block consistently and be patient. She gets so sad when I get owned :(

Picked this up for 360. Pretty bad at fighting games, but I love the Persona series and this looks fun. Cant wait to dig into and hopefully rise to the ranks of being semi-mediocre!

Top Bottom