• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

kewlmyc

Things are finally looking up for me. Finally beat my first Naoto with Kanji. Who knew kicking the traps would make them disappear. Elizabeth is still a bitch though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can usually get to 20+ with a mix of rote repetition and random mashing.

Xevren

I'm up to 30 on a few, I've gotten close to getting Liz's 30th done. That is my goal at the least is to get hers done. Still haven't played as everyone yet.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tell me more, because I'm one of those "Caesar fuckin' sux" people.

Caesar does suck. But that's why you should use him more. Everyone thinks he sucks. And when you get Persona Broken, you get to give absolutely zero fucks. Standing C gets trumped by Kanji's identical move all the time - so that's something to note.

But j.C is actually decent and the startup serves to throw some people off when used as a change of pace. The pull is something you'll only really start to notice and appreciate when you get into gauging distances on rushes, weaves, etc. Also, I think you've noticed by now that Akihiko's 5a and 2a range is not all that great. Next time you get locked into the back and forth spacing war that all Akihiko's endure, sit back and hit D - bait with a weave, dash forward, and use that overhead. Someone said it before, but the overhead is underused by many. Take advantage of those frames of invincibility.

zlatko

Banned
Caesar does suck. But that's why you should use him more. Everyone thinks he sucks. And when you get Persona Broken, you get to give absolutely zero fucks. Standing C gets trumped by Kanji's identical move all the time - so that's something to note.

But j.C is actually decent and the startup serves to throw some people off when used as a change of pace. The pull is something you'll only really start to notice and appreciate when you get into gauging distances on rushes, weaves, etc. Also, I think you've noticed by now that Akihiko's 5a and 2a range is not all that great. Next time you get locked into the back and forth spacing war that all Akihiko's endure, sit back and hit D - bait with a weave, dash forward, and use that overhead. Someone said it before, but the overhead is underused by many. Take advantage of those frames of invincibility.

Is stand C the over head or?

Shouta

The only variation I know goes up to 7.4k.

I haven't even looked at the mechanics of why SMP loop works so I'm leaving the last challenge till later.

5B5CSweep -> SB Double Fangs -> D Trap -> 2A2B -> A Double Fangs -> Step back Charged 2C -> 5C -> B Double Fangs x up to 9300 Damage -> Alpha Pistol will get you the 10k.

This setup actually goes up to 11k damage and can oneshot pretty much any character in the game, it's harder to land though.

I have like 17 or so challenges on every character except Mitsuru. Stupid charge moves. I actually like doing challenges and the arcade mode, but playing online is just not fun to me.

Young Magus

Sorry - just saw this

but no matter who you choose to main you should be sure to take advantage of all of their options. as yosuke you have be in constant motion and with naoto you have to diversify your attack pattern because being one dimensional with her will get you bodied with the quickness

i honestly think your style fits chie more than anything

Thanks for the reply back, Chie huh? I might look into her.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
GGs prototype

Lol I never figured autocombo to be useful as an antiair combo with knockdown before. Couldn't start orgia pressure at all cause I was afraid you were going to reversal lol.

I'm free to aigis mixups and reversal xfd

GGs. Didn't really use a lot of Ds until I saw you using it. The cannon too. Didn't know the cannon can be used to set up.

GGs prototype

Lol I never figured autocombo to be useful as an antiair combo with knockdown before. Couldn't start orgia pressure at all cause I was afraid you were going to reversal lol.

Yeah, I use a lot of auto combo to set up the orgia pressure. I was afraid too 'cause that reversal is so good. At least I learned what to do when you didn't recover from knockdown. The first few times, I literally just sat there going "uhh.... What now?"

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
GGs. Didn't really use a lot of Ds until I saw you using it. The cannon too. Didn't know the cannon can be used to set up.
Yeah you can A cannon xx 22B [6]C for a 5k ex megido combo starter too, though it only works if the cannon hits xd

I'm going to have to start incorporating the autocombo and 236 super into my game. Never bothered using either before since I previously saved all my meter for ex megido/ex cannon and preferred a knockdown with some range to do cannon pressure.

MechaX

As a friend and fellow forum member noted, sometimes people have shitty times in fighters until they find a character that suits them.

I have been playing Naoto (after unceremoniously giving up Aigis) and I have just been fucking up online. Hell, in randoms, I'm more likely to get a win with any other character but Naoto; so there might be something that I'm just not getting about her fundamental playstyle.

So I need to ask here: from someone who played Ky/Milla/Order Sol in Guilty Gear XX through Accent Core, Hazama/Mu in BlazBlue, what would be a good character to really learn here in this game?

Naoto:

1) Throw AA and ground traps all over yourself
2) Watch as the opponent falls over all your traps for major damage or hesitate and eat major damage from your gun
3) ???
4) Profit.

Oh believe me, when I try that, it always results in miraculous comebacks. I'm just more of a klutz when it comes to Naoto for some reason.

Onemic

As a friend and fellow forum member noted, sometimes people have shitty times in fighters until they find a character that suits them.

I have been playing Naoto (after unceremoniously giving up Aigis) and I have just been fucking up online. Hell, in randoms, I'm more likely to get a win with any other character but Naoto; so there might be something that I'm just not getting about her fundamental playstyle.

So I need to ask here: from someone who played Ky/Milla/Order Sol in Guilty Gear XX through Accent Core, Hazama/Mu in BlazBlue, what would be a good character to really learn here in this game?

Naoto:

1) Throw AA and ground traps all over yourself
2) Watch as the opponent falls over all your traps for major damage or hesitate and eat major damage from your gun
3) ???
4) Profit.

Busaiku

I'm kind of surprised Aigis is such an unpopular character, at least on PSN.
Shadow Labrys as the least popular isn't too surprising, but I thought Aigis had a lot of fans.
Weird that regular Labrys is more popular than Aigis though.

Teddie being the 3rd most unpopular is also surprising, he's a pretty easy character to use with just basic, scrubby mentality.

Noi

Weird that regular Labrys is more popular than Aigis though.

Hmm, I don't think so. Simpler overall movelist, big hitboxes on normals, no stance changes or ammo conversation, etc. I'll fully admit that I wanted to play Aigis Day 1, but I'm seriously no good with characters that require stance changes, even if Aigis somewhat lessens this with her Escape Change. (The most I got out of Ammy in MvC3 was H spam).

Aigis is the better overall character sure, but some folks just like the simplicity.

Mesoian

So has the general consensus weighed on on Kanji yet? Because now that we're in week 2, I'm of the opinion that he just can't compete. Against competent Mitsuru or Aigis's, he cannot land a single hit due to their to safely get in and out against him. Even high level akihikos that can use ex-bob and weave well can make it so that they are never in Kanji's attack range when they are not attacking.

Unfortunately, disappointingly, he ain't no Tager.

So has the general consensus weighed on on Kanji yet? Because now that we're in week 2, I'm of the opinion that he just can't compete. Against competent Mitsuru or Aigis's, he cannot land a single hit due to their to safely get in and out against him. Even high level akihikos that can use ex-bob and weave well can make it so that they are never in Kanji's attack range when they are not attacking.

He can win tournaments if hes lucky and plays the brackets. But thats almost anybody that isn't mitsu, aigis, and yu.

Onemic

He's B tier. Everyone in this game can compete.

Mesoian

He can win tournaments if hes lucky and plays the brackets. But thats almost anybody that isn't mitsu, aigis, and yu.

Yeah. I feel like the key to winning in this game is speed and consistancy. Even if you can completely block aigis's long 6k combo, the fact that there's virtually 0 break in it for you to counterattack makes her so strong. And yu can use his Oki stuff to literally keep you in block stun forever if he wants to.

On a high level, I think it's safe to say that, now, now that we're out of the day one gate, there's no room for grapplers in this game.

He's B tier. Everyone in this game can compete.

Yeah, he's B tier where tiers are seperated by speed. He can't compete with fast characters...almost period.

Also, Mitsuru's c.B has invincibility on it?

Yeah. I feel like the key to winning in this game is speed and consistancy. Even if you can completely block aigis's long 6k combo, the fact that there's virtually 0 break in it for you to counterattack makes her so strong. And yu can use his Oki stuff to literally keep you in block stun forever if he wants to.

On a high level, I think it's safe to say that, now, now that we're out of the day one gate, there's no room for grapplers in this game.

Yeah, he's B tier where tiers are seperated by speed. He can't compete with fast characters...almost period.

Also, Mitsuru's c.B has invincibility on it?

No but air unblockable so you'll lose if you're in the air.

Hmm, I don't think so. Simpler overall movelist, big hitboxes on normals, no stance changes or ammo conversation, etc. I'll fully admit that I wanted to play Aigis Day 1, but I'm seriously no good with characters that require stance changes, even if Aigis somewhat lessens this with her Escape Change. (The most I got out of Ammy in MvC3 was H spam).

Aigis is the better overall character sure, but some folks just like the simplicity.

That's it. People want the instant gratification. Once they see they have to put work in, they'll switch to someone easier.

Naite

Is there a trick to using Yukiko's EX Agi? Specifically with her 27th trial. I can't seem to get the first hit of the move to connect consistently.

5B5CSweep -> SB Double Fangs -> D Trap -> 2A2B -> A Double Fangs -> Step back Charged 2C -> 5C -> B Double Fangs x up to 9300 Damage -> Alpha Pistol will get you the 10k.

This setup actually goes up to 11k damage and can oneshot pretty much any character in the game, it's harder to land though.

Thanks.

Landing loops online is tough but when you do it it feels so good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I guess using Seta and the others had gotten me into the "Oh shit! PERSONA BROKEN!" mind-set because I'm too scared to just throw Caesar out without care. The other thing is that if he's broken you lose your Ziodyne super that is full screen and have the upper-cut only during that time if you need to pull a super off.

I'll have to play with the pull a bit more because I haven't really found a use for the Tager pull.

Esura

Banned
I guess using Seta and the others had gotten me into the "Oh shit! PERSONA BROKEN!" mind-set because I'm too scared to just throw Caesar out without care. The other thing is that if he's broken you lose your Ziodyne super that is full screen and have the upper-cut only during that time if you need to pull a super off.

I'll have to play with the pull a bit more because I haven't really found a use for the Tager pull.

Who is Seta?

Noi

Labrys is the cutest robot girl.

ibxCiijPVUPL1V.jpg

You are good people.

Cowie

messing around with the Yukiko IK glitch for shits and giggles

apparently if they don't block the little crystal explosion thing, they get slowly lifted up into the air and eventually off the screen. after like.. a minute or something, the person you hit appears back on the screen (with Yukiko still posing) and if they hit her they die.

Why am I not practicing real combos.

messing around with the Yukiko IK glitch for shits and giggles

apparently if they don't block the little crystal explosion thing, they get slowly lifted up into the air and eventually off the screen. after like.. a minute or something, the person you hit appears back on the screen (with Yukiko still posing) and if they hit her they die.

Why am I not practicing real combos.

yukiko doesn't have real combos =( just real setups. Most of her "advance" combos are impractical. The only one I can see being useful are the SB agi into the maragi combos, but those aren't easy (for me).

vocab

gg's prototype.. Sorry the rest of the lobby wasn't much of a challenge to that magneto. One dude just got the game, and the other just started playing fighting games like 2 weeks ago.

My kanji is pretty limited atm. I did what I could!

Top Bottom