• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Beckx

Online, I don't know, unfortunately. I only know them from his art books.

My wallpaper on my laptop is a P3P illustration, and it was really tough to get a high res version of it.

Dude deserves more attention. He's amazing.

This makes me, once again, very sad that the Vita's screenshot functionality is disabled when playing P3P.

SerRodrik

Online, I don't know, unfortunately. I only know them from his art books.

My wallpaper on my laptop is a P3P illustration, and it was really tough to get a high res version of it.

Dude deserves more attention. He's amazing.

Yeah, the art books are on my list of things to pick up once I'm not so fucking broke.

Dantis

Yeah, the art books are on my list of things to pick up once I'm not so fucking broke.

Get the illustration book first. It's really excellent. There's stuff like the Drama CD covers and promo shots for P4, and a lot of it is just stuff you can't come across easily.

zlatko

Banned
Get the illustration book first. It's really excellent. There's stuff like the Drama CD covers and promo shots for P4, and a lot of it is just stuff you can't come across easily.

Ah well then I'm shit out of luck. ; ;

As for this image I have no clue where it showed up from, but I checked the first page of this thread for the avatars and saw it, then haven't noticed it in use by any of the regular posters, so I figured why not.

Shito

So many Akihiko online, I'm really surprised that many people try to play him, given he's not really a "noob" character.

Got my first real ragequit today!
An Elizabeth shows up in my room, and decimates me in the first match we play together. On the second one I start catching up on his habits (always the same mix-ups, easy as shit to punish), and I kill him with an instant-kill while he's casting Maragidyne. Third match I just roll on him, and once again instant-kill him as soon as I see him attempting Maragidyne again. A swift deconnection, and a classy ragequit!

Sophia

So many Akihiko online, I'm really surprised that many people try to play him, given he's not really a "noob" character.

Got my first real ragequit today!
An Elizabeth shows up in my room, and decimates me in the first match we play together. On the second one I start catching up on his habits (always the same mix-ups, easy as shit to punish), and I kill him with an instant-kill while he's casting Maragidyne. Third match I just roll on him, and once again instant-kill him as soon as I see him attempting Maragidyne again. A swift deconnection, and a classy ragequit!

I'd definitely consider Akihiko a "noob" character to so speak. He's very easy to learn, but extremely hard to master.

dy_nasty, all i ever do is kill rush. start with kill rush, end with kill rush. except when im too close then i run back and do kill rush. what else can akihiko even do.

Shito

I'd definitely consider Akihiko a "noob" character to so speak. He's very easy to learn, but extremely hard to master.
Yeah, I don't know, he's a mix-up / close-range character, which is not really the archetype for an easy character to learn for newcomers. He has great damage potential, and looks "cool", but I really think of him as a "trap character" for beginners -- lots of them will probably be discouraged seeing their bullshit doesn't work against 'decent' players, and quit the game altogether.

Never faced a good S.Lab yet, for the moment I just find her to be Mitsuru's easiest match-up...

Sophia

Yeah, I don't know, he's a mix-up / close-range character, which is not really the archetype for an easy character to learn for newcomers. He has great damage potential, and looks "cool", but I really think of him as a "trap character" for beginners -- lots of them will probably be discouraged seeing their bullshit doesn't work against 'decent' players, and quit the game altogether.

Never faced a good S.Lab yet, for the moment I just find her to be Mitsuru's easiest match-up...

Better they at least enjoy the game a little bit with Akihiko then jump in as someone more complex and get completely steamrolled off the bat. :p

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Akihiko's mixup is terrible lol
dy_nasty, all i ever do is kill rush. start with kill rush, end with kill rush. except when im too close then i run back and do kill rush. what else can akihiko even do.

Start with 5A and work from there.

Even if you do Kill Rush, go for baits and feints within it. Throw a sweep in on block, R-Action, command counter - anything to keep yourself from looking familiar.

Dantis

Ah well then I'm shit out of luck. ; ;

As for this image I have no clue where it showed up from, but I checked the first page of this thread for the avatars and saw it, then haven't noticed it in use by any of the regular posters, so I figured why not.

So I guess Kotaku did an article on Persona art yesterday (And managed to completely avoid mentioning Soejima's name, despite all the art in the article being by him), and there's a couple of Chie pictures in there:

http://kotaku.com/5935215/exclusive-the-art-of-persona-4

There's also this one, which I love, but I can only find it in small, which is lame. :/

http://download.minitokyo.net/Shin.Megami.Tensei:.Persona.4.399706.jpg

There are a good handful more of Chie in the art book, but I just can't find them online. I've tried typing in the original source for the art (Such as the Famitsu cover) and you just get nothing. Such a shame, because he really deserves more recognition. He's probably the most talented games artist that I know of who works in a manga/anime style.

Shito

There's also this one, which I love, but I can only find it in small, which is lame. :/

http://download.minitokyo.net/Shin.Megami.Tensei:.Persona.4.399706.jpg
I have this artbook, but alas I don't have any access to a scanner.
And I still don't have any camera left (all stolen by a burglar a few months ago); I should be buying a new one soon, though, so if you don't mind pictures (and if you remind me of this) I can take pictures of those Chie pages.

[EDIT]
And as much as I like Soejima, I still think he's behind Kaneko as far as "best manga/anime style artist" goes. ^^

Dantis

I have this artbook, but alas I don't have any access to a scanner.
And I still don't have any camera left (all stolen by a burglar a few months ago); I should be buying a new one soon, though, so if you don't mind pictures (and if you remind me of this) I can take pictures of those Chie pages.

I have it too, but likewise, no scanner. :S

His lineart blows my mind. I cannot imagine how long it takes him to get it all so accurate.

Sophia

Kaneko's art style isn't even always anime-like. Ever since he switched over to his newer digital style, it edges back and fourth. I prefer his work on demons.

Have you seen some of the art in the back of Soejima's book? Some of the original stuff is amazing.

SerRodrik

I'm generally of the opinion that Kaneko is perfect for the more dreary, surreal, messed up atmosphere of the mainline SMT games, and Soejima is perfect for the down to earth (well...comparatively down to earth) mood of the modern Persona games.

And to be clear, Dantis, this is the artbook you were recommending earlier, yes?

Dantis

I'm generally of the opinion that Kaneko is perfect for the more dreary, surreal, messed up atmosphere of the mainline SMT games, and Soejima is perfect for the down to earth (well...comparatively down to earth) mood of the modern Persona games.

And to be clear, Dantis, this is the artbook you were recommending earlier, yes?

Yup, that's the one. GLORIOUS. I should warn you that it's the thinnest of his art books though, and it's also all illustrations. The interview with him at the end is the most recent interview available in English though, and the illustrations cover every project he's worked on until 2010, including freelance stuff like a light novel and a Namco game.

And I was meaning he's good from like, a technical point of view. Soejima's art is mostly faultless (Or close). Have you seen the lineart for his hands? Best. Hands. Ever.

Esura

Banned
Good game Sarumanu. After that IK though its time for me to go to training room. I don't want to keep relying on auto combos.

Esura

Banned
pends on the character sometimes. Some autocombo aren't terribad (lab, slab, mitsu, etc)

True, although I don't want to be predictable.

Although I feel behind the curve now. I've been so focused on Story Mode that I haven't practiced and it showed when I played against Sarumanu who is even better than before.

Sophia

deactivates it too

Yup.

I'm still having extreme difficulty going from Aigis's combos to Megido Fire. Often I attempt to jump cancel and somehow end up preforming the gatling gun instead. Really screwing up my game.

EDIT: Ah, I see we have a GAF Lobby going. Appears to be full however. I need a separate display for the PS3 so I can actually SEE this shit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
True, although I don't want to be predictable.

Although I feel behind the curve now. I've been so focused on Story Mode that I haven't practiced and it showed when I played against Sarumanu who is even better than before.

I hope you are ready to play later

Top Bottom