• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Infinite

I still don't get why Teddie is considered top tier now.
He definitely can get some good damage in and play a number of ways to adjust to the cast, but his mixup and oki options are really limited.

And I can't really find Souji videos besides stuff from Unlimited Circus.

Teddy has favorable matchups against some of the best characters in the game.

Busaiku

Well lag spikes made that unplayable.

But you need to stop doing random bear claws all day the way you do. The random tv teleports are bad too. They are pretty much 100% punishable on reaction

Teddievision sure, and while Bear Claw is negative on block, but I'm not sure if anything's fast enough to punish it.
It's kind of difficult to tell how IB affects it though, since I'm not too sure about the properties of other characters.

If someone wants to test it with me, hit me up.

I hate how DP takes away health. I got a good combo with Yu that ends in Sweep + DP so I can go into a mid-air combo, but if I do it too often, I will DIE.

Busaiku

Teddy has favorable matchups against some of the best characters in the game.
I know he does well against Chie and probably Akihiko, Mitsuru and Yu are probably even, but I think he gets destroyed against Aigis.

I hate how DP takes away health. I got a good combo with Yu that ends in Sweep + DP so I can go into a mid-air combo, but if I do it too often, I will DIE.

You can never die from using Furious Action/Autocombo.

Infinite

What is oki.

It's short for okizeme which "is a term of Japanese origin describing the tactical situation during a match where one fighter has been knocked down onto his or her back. While the downed fighter's options are severely limited, many fighting games grant various techniques to allow them opportunities to recover momentum and/or defend against subsequent attacks."

One of Yu's best aspects is his simple but yet very effect 5D (or standing D) okizeme. What you want to do is combo into a sweep then use his standing D which will pressure the opponent while they're knocked down making you free to do what you want almost.

You should watch this. Although it's mostly Japanese it just gives you an idea of the basic things Yu can do for oki.

I know he does well against Chie and probably Akihiko, Mitsuru and Yu are probably even, but I think he gets destroyed against Aigis.

He beats Yu.

Onemic

ggs Saru, I still dont know when to anticipate that damn Teddy rollerball super

And ya, I have never once used burst in a single match I've played since getting the game.

Busaiku

ggs Saru, I still dont know when to anticipate that damn Teddy rollerball super

And ya, I have never once used burst in a single match I've played since getting the game.

Yeah, the lag was really bad, I guess it's on my end, dunno what's up though.

The C and D versions have different timings.

And why not? That's not good at all man.
You've thrown a bunch of games because you haven't used it!

And also, it does seem that Mitsuru's cr.A can't punish Bear Screw even on IB.
Just count to one super jump and airdash after he does it
This doesn't work if you're in the corner and the D version is used.
At least, I think it doesn't.

Onemic

Yeah, the lag was really bad, I guess it's on my end, dunno what's up though.

The C and D versions have different timings.

And why not? That's not good at all man.
You've thrown a bunch of games because you haven't used it!

And also, it does seem that Mitsuru's cr.B can't punish Bear Screw even on IB.

This doesn't work if you're in the corner and the D version is used.
At least, I think it doesn't.

Ya, I know, its just that the placement is so weird to me, I've never really thought about using it in a match. I really should start using it.

In other news I have a measly 43% win percentage in ranked after 200+ games. For some reason most of the people I face are B and above.

Yukiko can reversal right through Teddie's super and recover 1/5 of her health. :)

I hate her DP so much, she can spam that shit all day.

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member
How does one avoid Teddie's bicycle super that's unblockable? Just time a super jump, or can you AC through it ?

I normally time a double jump, then do a move in the air that stops air movement. With Liz I'll do 5B. Pretty much every character has at least one normal that stops them in the air.

zlatko

Banned
Tonight I plan to learn some Naoto combos, and go online to get bodied with her just so I can see if maybe she clicks after some experience. May even give Yu a whirl.

I'm curious about Aigis as well, but she seems off putting from all of her things to manage and her combos seeming "difficult" to pull off online or being very specific in set ups. Is her standard mid screen and corner BnB's much easier than I think they'd be in my head?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tonight I plan to learn some Naoto combos, and go online to get bodied with her just so I can see if maybe she clicks after some experience. May even give Yu a whirl.

She's not super hard to control, it's all about being able to land her smp loop on comand that makes her tough. After that you gotta learn spacing as she is very very based on it.

Beckx

Oh man, I've never heard of this before, sounds legit. I'll check it out right now.

It's such a pain to find on Play-Asia's site. Here's the link.

I love it. Seamless transition for me between consoles. I'm planning on picking up a MadCatz MLG pad soon and start playing all my non-fighting PS3 games with Xbox controllers. (Note: it does not work with the official Xbox wireless controller, or at least I can't make it work.)

She's not super hard to control, it's all about being able to land her smp loop on comand that makes her tough. After that you gotta learn spacing as she is very very based on it.

Is Naoto really SMP loop dependent? I've been using her as second and will never manage to do that reliably. Or is that just a high level play thing, like the touch of death Marvel stuff?

Ken

I'm curious about Aigis as well, but she seems off putting from all of her things to manage and her combos seeming "difficult" to pull off online or being very specific in set ups. Is her standard mid screen and corner BnB's much easier than I think they'd be in my head?

No one else but Labrys "clicks" with me anymore. Maybe it's because she was my first character and any one else feels too "different," but I suppose that's a good thing in a game with a small cast.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is Naoto really SMP loop dependent? I've been using her as second and will never manage to do that reliably. Or is that just a high level play thing, like the touch of death Marvel stuff?

It makes or breaks her past low level. She's considered bottom tier without it.

Beckx

Ah, bummer. Anything that requires 10 moves including a mid-combo super before you even get started is out for me. Of course, that itself probably means I'm stuck in low level. :)

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member

Not really. There was an A-cho video from like 2 weeks ago that had a Naoto player go on a 12 win streak without using the SMP loop once. The player just had really nasty frametraps and trap setups, and played a really solid neutral. She also gets like 5k damage off normal confirm>mudo>stuff combos without going into the SMP loop.

I'm a noobie...what's her SMP loop consist of?

Her SMP loop is her combo part that takes advantage of a glitch in the engine that makes it so Same Move Proration is only applied for the first 10 moves with Same Move Proration used in a combo. Since every one of Naoto's moves has same move proration, you just combo 10 different moves together with Naoto, then start 236B~DxN.

Here's some examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEL9_dxxpA Depending on the confirm, SMP loops do anywhere from 4.5k to 10.5k+

zlatko

Banned
Oh and two questions about high/lows I have yet to confirm for myself.

When Chie does her Rekka pin wheels, what's the proper way to block it?(Yes I know I play her, but I rarely see another one online, let alone one who pressures me)

Second, how do you block Naoto's over head arc kick? I block over head and it usually bops me, so is it a low?

Noi

When Chie does her Rekka pin wheels, what's the proper way to block it?(Yes I know I play her, but I rarely see another one online, let alone one who pressures me)

It hits High, then low. So standing block then immediately crouch.

TheGreatReptar

Neo Member
Oh and two questions about high/lows I have yet to confirm for myself.

Second, how do you block Naoto's over head arc kick? I block over head and it usually bops me, so is it a low?

Naoto's Double Fangs specials all hit high on the last hit.

Also, back to Yukiko's DP, a lot of moves that have their hitboxes extended away from their hurtbox a lot (stuff like Liz's 5A and 2A, Mitsuru's 5A) can hit her DP's super armor, and you won't get hit at all at the right spacing. Yukiko's actually really free while getting up to a lot of characters.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the input on the overheads guys. :D

Another question:

When Yosuke gets you in the block string to do his cross up knife slashes, can you punish him during it, or do you have to wait for him to drop to the ground to try and punish him? I was thinking of 2B with Chie would just knock him out of the air as he goes for the 2nd cross up attempt, but I'm not sure if I'm stuck in block stun too much or if it just plain isn't fast enough.

Solune

I always get baited. ;( if I spammed Mitsus DP I would win maybe 10% of my matches.

I have alot of people tell me I don't DP enough ironically. In general I think it's fine to use it when you have a life lead and not be afraid to throw it out there. If you're getting baited, think about what type of position you were in that led to getting predicted. If all else fails Just Do It™.

I have alot of people tell me I don't DP enough ironically. In general I think it's fine to use it when you have a life lead and not be afraid to throw it out there. If you're getting baited, think about what type of position you were in that led to getting predicted. If all else fails Just Do It™.

YOU NEED TO

Spam.jpg

IT

Onemic

wanna play some matches? you can probably bait me too.

Thanks for the input on the overheads guys. :D

Another question:

When Yosuke gets you in the block string to do his cross up knife slashes, can you punish him during it, or do you have to wait for him to drop to the ground to try and punish him? I was thinking of 2B with Chie would just knock him out of the air as he goes for the 2nd cross up attempt, but I'm not sure if I'm stuck in block stun too much or if it just plain isn't fast enough.

You can punish him with something like an air throw or an anti air, but you always have to keep in mind he might be expecting you to do that and is only baiting you. Like, rather than slash again he'll throw kunais to make it safe(r) or hit you if you attempted something or he could just flip again to the other side without slashing.

Top Bottom