• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Yeah, cause I just wanna go for the damage.
B Bear Screw goes through all the counter Furious Actions, so I'm good there, but yeah, it's not a good thing to do, again, just my stupidity.

naw its just learning the matchup. I do stupid shit all the time. Like that one game I was powering up. I thought I was in awakening with the super meter...lol

Busaiku

For now I still say the match is like 5-5. I don't see anything either of them have that simply overpowers the other. Yeah you have TVs, but yuki can't negate most of the shit teddie throws out as well including supers.

I definitely think it should be in the favor of a competent Teddie.
Maybe not 6-4, but definitely tilting towards Teddie.

You'll notice that I rarely use items against you, and I don't think I ever got beyond the Bearrel, but the optimal Teddie BnB should go for the j.B knockdown to bring out the items. I always try to end it with Bear Screw for the damage.
I also never tried to crossup with the Bearrel, and only stayed in front of you, nor did I try to protect the skies when the Bearrel was out, j.B is good for this.

Due to Yukiko's low health, good Teddie BnBs would also do about 50% without SP Skills.

Again, these are all faults of mine, and not the character, and now I can understand why Teddie is top tier.
Still free to Aigis though, I don't know what can be done about that.

I definitely think it should be in the favor of a competent Teddie.
Maybe not 6-4, but definitely tilting towards Teddie.

You'll notice that I rarely use items against you, and I don't think I ever got beyond the Bearrel, but the optimal Teddie BnB should go for the j.B knockdown to bring out the items. I always try to end it with Bear Screw for the damage.
I also never tried to crossup with the Bearrel, and only stayed in front of you, nor did I try to protect the skies when the Bearrel was out, j.B is good for this.

Due to Yukiko's low health, good Teddie BnBs would also do about 60% without SP Skills.

To be fair most characters do about 40-60% of yuki's health.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I don't know if Teddie has a strong oki or pressure setup but my philosophy is that I will almost always forsake dmg for a better setup.

I'll have to mess around and see how to incorporate my unblockable setup. I tried out some of my experimental shit. It works and I kind of like it. Now to see if I get more off of it.

Busaiku

Oh, and another thing I didn't do enough was use cr.A on Sakuya when it was in front of me, before it started taking me to the corner.
I did it a couple of times though, but if I did it more often, you might've gotten Persona broken like every round.

And I don't feel that Teddie has good oki options, since his non-item mixups are so limited, and this is why I always go for damage.
But, with a few of the items, that gets addressed, so again, this is a problem only restricted to me.

Oh, and another thing I didn't do enough was use cr.A on Sakuya when it was in front of me, before it started taking me to the corner.
I did it a couple of times though, but if I did it more often, you might've gotten Persona broken like every round.

The only reason why I kept doing it was because you never punished it. Basically I do stuff until somebody has an answer to it and then go to the next option until they have an answer for that.

For instance if you did 2A to hit the cards then I can mix it up with 4D, 236C/D, 236B (spacing pendent) and so on.

Busaiku

But then I might be able to roll through or something.
I'm just limiting my game so much by not utilizing everything.

I'll get better eventually though!
It saddens me that I probably have like the most games played on GAF though, but am still as bad as I am...

It saddens me that I probably have like the most games played on GAF though, but am still as bad as I am...

how many do you have played? o.o

You aren't bad. Bad is not learning from mistakes, not coming with new strats and not incorporating new ideas.

For instance, my execution is "ok". Its not terrible, its not amazing. But what I do have is decent reads and spacing and I take advantage of that.

You just need to find what your strength is and abuse it while developing your other skills. Never be afraid to try out new ideas even if you get hit.

In most matches that I don't know the matchup I'll Mash 5A or 2A during a block string to see if there are any gaps. That was how I found about the gap in teddie's blockstring. But you can bet I got hit a bunch of times before I learned how to counter it.

That is the kind of mentality you'll need to develop. You can't be afraid to try out ideas because in the end if you learned something about a player/character then you can start forming strategies about them.

You were adapting. That is already a sign of a solid player.

vocab

Pick ONE character; train in challenge mode until you have 2-3 combos you can pull off at will; profit.

Jumping around to different characters hurts your timing and focus on your main way more than you think it does.

Kanji's advanced combos are hard as hell to do in a match, and Slab has no combos. I'm really stuck.

Kanji's advanced combos are hard as hell to do in a match, and Slab has no combos. I'm really stuck.

you don't need "real" combos. Ask twilth, busaiku, beats and etc. My combo is day 1 5AA 5B 5C 2C 236A. Its really the most basic day1 combo.

for Kanji learn grab setups and mixups. I don't know about slab but im sure q can help you on that part.

well guess I'm done today; going to test some punishable mitsu shit
edit

So messed around. Can't punished an IB coup A or B, but atleast I get advantage. Can't punish autocombo but I get like 5 IB free.

zlatko

Banned
Tried Naoto and Aigis last night. Massive win rates with both, and I basically stuck with just AAAAAAA combos with both. People just suck at cracking Naoto or knowing that the traps are destructible. Aigis just opens people up free with her Orgia mode over heads lol.

I enjoyed playing Aigis more though. I'll be looking into her combos later on today to see if it's things I can do in fights, but otherwise Naoto is a beast. :D

As promised Bigg Randal, here's a few tips from our 30-40 some matches last night where you couldn't win a match. I felt bad, but I didn't let up so that you could hopefully see what I was doing to make it impossible for you in hopes you'd mimic it, or try new ways to counter it.

Tips for your chie:

Go in! Too often you are mid screen waiting, and then are stuck blocking. Also, learn how to block another Chie's Rekka kicks since every time you mess up it leads to free damage for me and another mix up/pressure. If you do learn to block it, then you can punish it. Learn your air options. Jump A's beat out whatever I pick in the air, but if you are going to rush me a jump Bx2 like I was doing to you is better for starting offense. If someone is blocking your lows, and you see they are crouching, throw in a AB all out attack for a free combo. The Air combo I'm doing right now is jump B B C, jump again in air for B B C into 236 C. Standard mid screen damage BnB is usually 2A, 5B,5C, 236 A 236A, 236 C. (What I do anyway) On your wake up, if you know I'm going to do pressure, and my Persona isn't out slashing you, then don't be afraid to do BD for a reversal. If the persona IS out, and you have 50 meter to burn to get me off you, then do a God fist. Once you are in awakened, you can stage a comeback easily if you do meteor super, into dash up to them for a mix up. Mix up options include over head, low pokes, jump cross up, and throw. It's a really good guessing game you can put them through. I don't do it enough, but if you are mid screen and you start a 2A,5B,5C, then I think you can also go right into a 2AB for the sweep. When you sweep knock down, mash a D, and if they hit anything you get a free combo, otherwise they HAVE to block the persona's hits and this lets you do the same thing as meteors for a free mix up.

Basically, just go balls to the walls, and don't give them a second to breathe like I did you.

Your Akihiko is not that scary, where as other Aki's who get me to block terrify me. If you start doing his AAA, after the teleport punches just mix it up with either a 2AB, or a 5AB for over head. Also, don't be scared on his wake up to do his BD reversal if they are putting on pressure. My Aki knowledge is limited, but I hate when opponents get me to block the dash up punches, then go for that command grab option that leads to the unblockable punch.

Too often at the end of fights you are sitting on a lot of meter too, so if you can spend it wisely somehow do it. Even EX versions of moves may help you out to get in and try to clinch a win.

----

GG's all around. I'll be on tonight for more if you like. :)

Shito

A FT10 between Q and Jiyuna would be the only thing that could make me watch a Jiyuna video ever again-- Yu, even at high-level, is such a boring character to watch.

I'm lying, I've enjoyed that Mitsuru punish against him posted a little bit earlier...

remist

jiyuna hasnt played on ranked in a while, he grinded all those PSR during jp release week
exposed

I've seen this guy stream a few times and I don't think he had the game during the jp release week. His ps3 is NA version if I remember correctly.

Also haven't played in like a week and a half because of some personal stuff, I hope there are still enough players online that suck as bad as I do.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
>.< I just lost 10 straight
I figured out more of the matchup but Akihiko's problem is getting in cause her DP and guillotine "seem" to be so safe :\

Her dp isn't safe unless ast is protecting her.

You can instant block the second hit of her auto combo chain and dp out of it.

hypernima

Banned
Her dp isn't safe unless ast is protecting her.

You can instant block the second hit of her auto combo chain and dp out of it.

I wish I'd known that. Most of the match I was trying to aa you with j.a or cr.b to start something, and I actually did once but I couldn't really convert on most of my attempts when you got crazier in the air.

Anyone else want to play? I need more matchup knowledge!

Got my first hate msg today, since I got a fighting pad, i have been relearning the game with yu. This guy ended up sending me a msg telling me how yu is a easy to play..

I take pride in the fact that I beat him once! >_>;

He's gonna level up again soon :(

I wish I'd known that. Most of the match I was trying to aa you with j.a or cr.b to start something, and I actually did once but I couldn't really convert on most of my attempts when you got crazier in the air.

Anyone else want to play? I need more matchup knowledge!

I can play later today... Maybe around 5 PST?

Top Bottom