• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahaha. Oh Elizabeth in Aigis' story:

It's a leather bound book, and pretty sturdy with hearty damage. ...I'd wager it does 4 digits (9999 she means) on average."

Onemic

Well, what do you keep repeating? What do you want to improve on?

I guess hitconfirms and movement. Since Mitsus mixup game is really weak I tend to hit roadblocks when people just end up blocking my attacks all the time. She has her overhead, but that doesnt really turn into anything unless you use meter.

I also tend to lose to zoners a lot, (Liz, Naoto, Yukiko) even if some of them are supposed to be my best matchups.

I guess hitconfirms and movement. Since Mitsus mixup game is really weak I tend to hit roadblocks when people just end up blocking my attacks all the time. She has her overhead, but that doesnt really turn into anything unless you use meter.

hit confirms are going to come with practice, since it's all reaction. If your reaction is good and still can't confirm, it means you need better starters. As far as movement, I'm not sure exactly what you need. Do you need it for defensive purposes (backdashes)? Or do you need some tips on getting in? Or neutral movement?

Also, Mitsu isn't about the mixups, like you said. It's about overwhelming your opponent with your range and very low recovery on some of her moves. Abuse them.

The main thing you want to do is to make your character's strong points bigger than they actually are and make your weaknesses seem like they don't exist. If your blockstrings are weak, you can try stopping earlier and block, to see if they try to mash DP (baiting). That way, you can make them scared of mashing stuff out. Or end your blockstring early and try going for a grab. Even if you don't have meter to overhead, USE them, ESPECIALLY in a corner. Where are they going to go after they get hit? They're still in the corner. It's still damn good and annoying.

Onemic

hit confirms are going to come with practice, since it's all reaction. If your reaction is good and still can't confirm, it means you need better starters. As far as movement, I'm not sure exactly what you need. Do you need it for defensive purposes (backdashes)? Or do you need some tips on getting in? Or neutral movement?

Also, Mitsu isn't about the mixups, like you said. It's about overwhelming your opponent with your range and very low recovery on some of her moves. Abuse them.

The main thing you want to do is to make your character's strong points bigger than they actually are and make your weaknesses seem like they don't exist. If your blockstrings are weak, you can try stopping earlier and block, to see if they try to mash DP (baiting). That way, you can make them scared of mashing stuff out. Or end your blockstring early and try going for a grab. Even if you don't have meter to overhead, USE them, ESPECIALLY in a corner. Where are they going to go after they get hit? They're still in the corner. It's still damn good and annoying.

Better movement for defensive and offesnsive purposes. I see LK backdash and IABD all the time and I sorta wanna incorporate that into my game. My biggest weakness is reactions, which is why I still can't hitconfirm for shit and also leads into other problems like being able to react fast enough and use her 2b, which I almost never use due to its slow startup.

I also tend to lose to zoners a lot, (Liz, Naoto, Yukiko) even if some of them are supposed to be my best matchups.

High/lows aren't the only mixup, I actually play Mitsuru like a semi-vortex character. She's really good at frame traps and baiting people. The idea is to steal turns later on by gambling with Getsu-ei and making them afraid to push buttons. Once you get them in the corner you can shave off a ton of health fast. I'm still working on my own vortex options and I just recently came up with a ton of new strings off her 2A and OM canceling her overhead and the second-to-last hit of her stab super.

I generally only save replays of matches I'm trying to learn what I did wrong so I don't have many where I'm doing anything cool, but here's one that shows a little of what I'm talking about.(still processing so low quality for a little bit)

Onemic

High/lows aren't the only mixup, I actually play Mitsuru like a semi-vortex character. She's really good at frame traps and baiting people. The idea is to steal turns later on by gambling with Getsu-ei and making them afraid to push buttons. Once you get them in the corner you can shave off a ton of health fast. I'm still working on my own vortex options and I just recently came up with a ton of new strings off her 2A and OM canceling her overhead and the second-to-last hit of her stab super.

I generally only save replays of matches I'm trying to learn what I did wrong so I don't have many where I'm doing anything cool, but here's one that shows a little of what I'm talking about.(still processing so low quality for a little bit)

wanna play some matches?

Yeah, my wifi is such a tease. I can log on by pulling internet off my PC, but I can't get into lobbies. Maybe with Q because he's so close to me, though?

Uncle AJ

I was trying to reproduce Yukiko's unblockable corner setup and can't seem to do it. Does anyone have notation? I haven't seen it on Youtube, Dustloop, or Mayonaka. I think it's just Agidyne C -> Fire Break -> Maragi C so the Maragi hits the opponent just as they ground tech. But I can't do the Fire Break and Maragi fast enough. Am I missing something?

I only ask because I'm having trouble in general with rolling out of the corner just as I get back on my feet after teching backwards. Supposedly this is the only way to get out of that Yukiko setup (I think a wake-up super would work too?) but I also get opened up by any character that just runs up to me and does 2A after I tech backwards while I try to press A+C the moment I land. Are these attacks just meaty and you can't roll away?

TWILT

Banned
Good games RagingNight. Think I know what I need to do to improve with my Yukiko after playing yours again.
Blocking is one thing. ._.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love the CC guide because he's the only person other than me that I've heard say Chie beats Mitsuru.

Mitsuru has nothing on Jam's fusion with Carl. Every thing Chie does is faster and she can make it all safe, so once she gets in she basicly mauls mitsuru for free if she is able to trick them constantly

Good games RagingNight. Think I know what I need to do to improve with my Yukiko after playing yours again.
Blocking is one thing. ._.

Well I was kind of free to some pressure strings. I kept doing "let me see if there is a gap here" and mashed 2A or DP which got me blown up.

The one thing I notice was that you were predictable with your escape patterns. With the AGI block setup you can't roll if I read it. I read it a few times and punished with 2a. Unfortunately I kept dropping some of those combos.

One last thing I noticed that you should work ASAP. You love pressing buttons. Like every single Yu round you started with a jump attack and since you never did anything else all I did was 5C at the start of the round every time.

Lastly in corner the agi setup does have a gap where its punishable on block. You just have to see the timing and the spacing.

By the way, this is how I feel about Mitsuru's matchups:

vs Teddie - 3/7
vs Chie - 4/5
vs Naoto - 5/5
vs Yu - 5.5/4.5
vs Aigis - 6/4
vs Labrys - 6/4
vs Shadow Labrys - 6/4
vs Yukiko - 6.5/3.5
vs Akihiko - 7/3
vs Elizabeth - 7/3
vs Yosuke - 8/2
vs Kanji - 8/2

Mitsuru has nothing on Jam's fusion with Carl. Every thing Chie does is faster and she can make it all safe, so once she gets in she basicly mauls mitsuru for free if she is able to trick them constantly

Still not as bad as Teddie.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

vs Teddie - 3/7
vs Chie - 4/5
vs Naoto - 5/5
vs Yu - 5.5/4.5
vs Aigis - 6/4
vs Labrys - 6/4
vs Shadow Labrys - 6/4
vs Yukiko - 6.5/3.5
vs Akihiko - 7/3
vs Elizabeth - 7/3
vs Yosuke - 8/2
vs Kanji - 8/2

Yeah, his bat completely fucks her, also drills hit at an angle that hits her above her 5a so she can't really abuse it. That and the fact he can cover any mistake with an item toss makes him a major pain for her.

vs Teddie - 3/7
vs Chie - 4/5
vs Naoto - 5/5
vs Yu - 5.5/4.5
vs Aigis - 6/4
vs Labrys - 6/4
vs Shadow Labrys - 6/4
vs Yukiko - 6.5/3.5
vs Akihiko - 7/3
vs Elizabeth - 7/3
vs Yosuke - 8/2
vs Kanji - 8/2

3-7 Teddie? really? I never saw it as daunting as Yukiko vs Slabs lol.

And I'm puzzle by the Yosuke numbers, but I don't play yosuke. All I have heard is that he is A tier.

Onemic

vs Teddie - 3/7
vs Chie - 4/5
vs Naoto - 5/5
vs Yu - 5.5/4.5
vs Aigis - 6/4
vs Labrys - 6/4
vs Shadow Labrys - 6/4
vs Yukiko - 6.5/3.5
vs Akihiko - 7/3
vs Elizabeth - 7/3
vs Yosuke - 8/2
vs Kanji - 8/2

Isnt Aigis considered Mitsus worst matchup? She can zone mitsu all day with her bullets and in orgia mode it just becomes lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

And I'm puzzle by the Yosuke numbers, but I don't play yosuke. All I have heard is that he is A tier.

That match up is really really bad for yosuke, her dp literally shuts his entire game plan down. So he has to resort to silly shit that doesn't work that well.

And no the Yukiko vs S.lab match isn't 3-7 its 4-6 there just are not that many good yukiko's honestly that know how to fight that match up right.

Isnt Aigis considered Mitsus worst matchup? She can zone mitsu all day with her bullets and in orgia mode it just becomes lol.
Wut, you don't ZONE mitsu. And aigis doesn't really zone all day period. The only time aigis zones is for meter to build, she wants to be in orgia mode as much as posible.

That match up is really really bad for yosuke, her dp literally shuts his entire game plan down. So he has to resort to silly shit that doesn't work that well.

I wouldn‘t say his entire gameplan, but yeah, fuck that DP. Still, I really don‘t feel the match up is 8-2 bad like GB says.

I knew someone might say that, so I made a handy little list.

Things Teddie Players Don't Have In Common With Satan:

1. Fucking Nothing

I wouldn‘t say his entire gameplan, but yeah, fuck that DP. Still, I really don‘t feel the match up is 8-2 bad like GB says.

I have never, ever lost a match to a Yosuke player. He has no way to stop me that I can't break on reaction. It's really, really bad. I think it's worse than Kanji.

I have never, ever lost a match to a Yosuke player. He has no way to stop me that I can't break on reaction. It's really, really bad. I think it's worse than Kanji.

It‘s definitely a bad match up but I dunno if that bad. We‘d need to play for me to see what you mean but that‘s kinda impossible for multiple reasons :/

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
All I want for Christmas is a new persona for Akihiko

Caesar isn't even a good decoy anymore

Top Bottom